Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (05/23/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 22 May 89       Volume 89 : Issue  54

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                    New OS/2 Discussion Forum Info
                       Can a PC talk to a TTY?
                           PC User Surveys
           Re: TSR for periodic execution of a function
                      Source Code for FRCTINT7
                     Postscript A3 laserprinter
                          PS/2 joysticks?
                       FRENCH SPELLING SOFTWARE
                          Reminder Programs
                       Re: Keyboard Question
                            Kermit Source
                    Looking for Miniscribe Address
                          pc/ix on at&t 6300
                      Problems with PC-DOS 4.00
               Toshiba 1.44MB Disk Question (Resolved)
                           Turbo Clone Mode
                         typewriters/printers
                     USA Map Graphics Coordinates
                               Worldmap

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 11:47:48 EDT
From: Dave Swindell <dswindel@SH.CS.NET>
Subject: New OS/2 Discussion Forum

Can someone please let me know what the commands are to subscribe to the
new OS/2 mailing list from an Internet site?

Thanks,

	-- Dave Swindell
	   BBN STC

[Yes, you need to send a message to the Moderator at:
<tewkvdh%blekul14.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu> and ask to be put on the mailing
list.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 16:46:27 EDT
From: stevenz@munro.yorku.ca
Subject: Can a PC talk to a TTY?

I have a pc clone and a 300/1200/2400 baud modem.  I was wondering if it
is possible to talk to the type of teletype device used by deaf people.
If so, are there any programs around to do this and/or what are the
protocols?

I called Bell Canada's Centre for Special Needs, but they were no help at
all.

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Steven Zepp                             (416) 736-5376
Computer-Assisted Writing Centre
530 Scott Library, York University	stevenz@writer.UUCP
4700 Keele Street			stevenz@writer.yorku.ca
Downsview, Ontario, M3J 1P3   ...!{utzoo, mnetor, utgpu}!yunexus!writer!stevenz

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 14 May 1989 18:16 IST
From:         shmuel cohen <KBUCS%HUJIVM1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      PC User Surveys

Has anyone out there seen or heard of any published surveys about the
(cough, cough) "AVERAGE" PC user?  Who they are? What they use their
computer for?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 89, 16:33:09 HMT
From: Stanley Fragakis   <CSSTU011%GRCRUN11.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Re: TSR for periodic execution of a function

The question comes from Alessandro Russo Morten Welinder and
<NIJKERK%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> provided helpful information but
I want to point a few things:

 The 1Ch is executed by the Int 8 which normally is the hardware timer
tick. The timer tick interrupt has the highest priority.

 You don't need to include CLI as the first command of your 1Ch handler
since this is done automatically by the CPU.

 THERE IS NO WAY for an 1Ch to occur while processing the previous one
except if you send an EOI (End Of Interrupt) to the PIC (Priority
Interrupt Controller), and of course enable the interrupts.

While processing your 1Ch interrupt the CPU denies any other interrupt
(even keyboard interrupts).  As you can understand there is no reason for
a flag-byte to signal whether we are in the 1Ch handler or not.  Things do
get complicated if you want keyboard access while processing the
interrupt. You have to send an EOI to the PIC and this time you NEED a
flag to signal an 'already processing' condition.

Your interrupt handler should complete the job very fast.  The Int 8
executes 18.2 times/second, that is, a timer tick interrupt occurs  (..and
an 1Ch interrupt) every 0.0549 secs Your handler should do the job in less
than 0.0549 secs else you'll have problems like incorrect time.

If your 1Ch handler crashes then Ctrl-Alt-Del will not work (why ?)
Finally you could chain directly to the OLDINT1C handler when your handler
ends (e.g. JMP FAR OLDINT1C) instead of calling the old handler using a
PUSHF, CALL (...) combination.

If you have any questions just drop a note.

Stanley Fragakis, Greece (CSSTU011 at GRCRUN11)

PS: Can you answer this? Why it is not necessary (most cases)
    to save the AX register in your 1Ch handler?
    Answer to me directly.

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 15 May 89 15:34 U
From:     <MLBSLIM%NTIVAX.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Source Code for frctint7

Could you please tell me where I can get the source code for frctint7.exe.
The program looks great but the documemtation mentioned the source code
but doesn't tell us where to get it.

------------------------------

Date:   Tue, 16 May 89 13:00:21 MET
From:   Karel Van der Haegen <TEWKVDH%BLEKUL14.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Postscript A3 laserprinter

Looking for a moderatly priced laserprinter able to understand a
Postscript data stream, and able to produce output as large as the A3
standard format. (which is 42 x 29.7 cm). Please reply directly to me. I
will mail the conclusions to the list.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 00:09 EDT
From: CS114101%YUSol%vm1.yorku.ca@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: PS/2 joysticks?

  Does anyone know where I can get a PS/2 50Z Joysick card/adapter?  These
things are really hard to find!  Does anyone know how to make one?

          Paul,
                 Toronto, Canada.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  15 May 89 22:22:32 +0200
From: DANIEL T. DREYMANN <J16%TAUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: FRENCH SPELLING SOFTWARE

Hi there,

I'm looking for a spelling checker in French.  Any suggestion, comment, or
recommendation would be welcome.

-- Dan Dreymann

BITNET: J16@TAUNOS

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 May 89 14:34:10 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Reminder Programs

I really like Ample Notice.  I have version 1.07.  I just checked a list
of Simtel-20 files, and saw AN108.ARC in PD1:<MSDOS.DESKACCESS>; I assume
it is version 1.08.

Ample Notice understands concepts like 2nd Sunday in May (Mother's Day),
2nd Wednesday of every month, July 4th, etc.  I (at least) think it is
easy to use.

(This is in response to a query in Info-IBMPC Volume 89 Number 49.)

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 89 14:11:27 PDT (Monday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Keyboard Question

>Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1989 12:42 EST
>From:     <HAMMERR@IUBACS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
>Subject:  Keyboard Question
>... the first character I enter *doesn't* register

As a first guess,  I'd say you have a somewhat noisy AC line and the
occasional glitches are interfering with the keyboard register.   I used
to have that problem along with  a few others;  a major investment in a
line voltage regulator fixed that OK.   A cheaper alternative might be
effective,  one that provides spike or surge arresting.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 May 89 14:12:14 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Kermit Source

The source for all Kermit programs is available from Columbia University.
You can either use ftp to logon anonymously to CU20B, or use KERMSRV at
CUVMA (a BITNET LISTSERV machine).  I recommend looking at MSKERM.DOC
first.  It not only describes how to use MS-Kermit, but lists special
versions (p. 3), and describes organization (and names) of the source
files (p. 83).   Have you tried version 2.32?  It first checks whether the
serial port is standard; if so, it sends commands directly to the port;
otherwise, it uses BIOS.  It works on my DG/One, although the combination
of BIOS calls and a slow machine results in loss of characters at
connection speeds above 300 bps.  If the machine you are trying to use is
a DG/One, please let me know; I would definitely like a version of Kermit
tailored for a DG.

(This is in response to a note in Volume 89 Number 46.)

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 89 09:54:00 GMT-15:00
From: "T. DEJANE" <motu_7a@wmms-srf-yoko.arpa>
Subject: Looking for Miniscribe Address

A friend of mine has a Miniscribe 3425 hard disk and is looking for a new
circuit card for it( the one that mounts on the disk ).  Does anyone have
an address for Miniscribe.

Thanks in advance
T.D. DeJane   motu_7a@wmms-srf-yoko.arpa
	      motu_7a%wmms-srf-yoko.arpa@cunyvm.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 1989, 08:03:13 IDT
From: Julian Satran <SATRAN%ISRAEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: pc/ix on at&t 6300

Ref:  Need assistance with PC/IX.

AT&T 6300 is supposed to compatible...  (V20 is upwards compatible with
8088).  However PC/IX does not use BIOS and has its own drivers for all
devices.  It supports only 17 sectors/track  hard disks and if you have
PC/IX 1.0  not even all  of those.   THe hard  disk is the  most likely
cause of your  troubles.  If your  disk is a 17  sectors/track then get
PC/IX 1.1.

Regards, Julo.
Tel: +972-4-296-264

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 8 May 1989  16:36-MDT
From: hodge!jdm@uunet.uu.net (jdm)
Subject: Problems with PC-DOS 4.00

There are a number of question regarding just what are the bugs in PC-DOS
4.00.  IBM does supply a fix-disk to upgrade PC-DOS 4.00 to 4.01.  On
these disks (three in all) there is a README document that lists these
bugs.  This is that README file:

Summary of Corrective Service Information for DOS 4.00

The message  "Corrective Service has been successfully installed"   will
appear on the screen when installation is complete.

CSD UR22624 was made available on  08/15/88

CSD      APAR      KEYWORD   COMPONENT ABSTRACT
-------  -------   --------  --------- --------------------------------------
UR22624  IR79395   ABEND      XMA2EMS  PS/2 mod 50Z cannot use DOS 4.00 EMS
UR22624  IR79403   INCORROUT  APPEND   APPEND /PATH:OFF not working properly
UR22624  IR79404   WAIT       IBMBIO   INT 2FH for INT 67H causes hang
UR22624  IR79405   INCORROUT  SHELLC   SHELL HELP index entries not alphabetic
UR22624  IR79406   INCORROUT  MODE     MODE overwrites user's application
UR22624  IR79407   INCORROUT  SELECT   Using CTRL/BREAK with SHELL can hang
UR22624  IR79408   INCORROUT  MODE     MODE allows 19200 rate on PS/2 mod 25,30
UR22624  IR79409   MSGPANEL   SHELLC   SHIFT+F9=  overlays F10=
UR22624  IR79410   INCORROUT  SHELLC   Pull down menu in files gives wrong help
UR22624  IR79411   INTEG      IBMDOS   BUFFERS=XX /X problem (BUFFERS to XMA)
UR22624  IR79413   INCORROUT  SHELLC   SHELL place hdwr cursor with selection
UR22624  IR79415   INCORROUT  IBMDOS   problem copying large files across NET
UR22624  IR79416   MSG        PRINT    First time PRINT non-exist file msg
UR22624  IR79417   INCORROUT  SHELLC   SHELL does not give error for / or \
UR22624  IR79423   MSG        SELECT   Listing of printers should be reordered
UR22624  IR79425   ABEND      XMA2EMS  Hangs with Token Ring NET CARD in slot 0
UR22624  IR79426   ABEND      SHELLC   SHELL will not run after run Comp. BASIC
UR22624  IR79427   MSG        MODE     MODE not handling trans. correctly
UR22624  IR79428   MSG        SHELLC   SHELL not handling trans. correctly
UR22624  IR79429   MSG        SELECT   SELECT correct defaults for keyboards
UR22624  IR79430   ABEND      SELECT   SELECT/SHELL translated too big for 256K
UR22624  IR79459 * INCORROUT  SHELL    PS/2 mod 30 with 8512 error color change
UR22624  IR79460   UNPRED     XMA2EMS  Unpredictable results using DMA to EMS

*  NOTE:  Installing fix for IR79459 will overwrite any changes you may
have made to the SHELL Main Group menu.  All previous changes made to
SHELL Main Group menu need to be re-entered after installing this fix.
This fix allows HELP to be selected for the Change Colors program on the
SHELL Main Group menu.  The text of the HELP is:

      "If you have a system with a color monitor and it is not displaying
in color, add the /TEXT parameter to the DOSSHELL.BAT file to display in
color."

To install the fix for IR79459, perform the following steps:

  1. Rename or backup your existing SHELL.MEU file
  2. Insert the first Corrective Service Diskette into drive A:
  3. Then enter the following command:

       REPLACE A:\DOCUMENT\SHELL.MEU d:\  /U /S

where d:     is the drive to which you are installing this Corrective Service
             Diskette

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA

	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 16:40:47 CDT
From: moore@ncsc.navy.mil (Moore)
Subject: Toshiba 1.44MB Disk Question (Resolved)

Thanks to all who responded re: whether the Toshiba 3.5" 1.44MB floppy
drive detects HD disks and acts accordingly.  The answer is apparently yes
(at least in combination with Zenith's MS-DOS 3.3+).

I had the HD cutout drilled out of a 720K floppy drive, and the Toshiba
now recognizes it as a HD diskette (before I did that, the drive would not
read a 720K diskette formatted as 1.44MB on another machine).  Covering
the slot with a piece of tape yields abort, retry, fail, ignore?
attempting to read the disk as a 1.44MB.

Again, thanks to all who responded; I hope this helps someone else.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 12:36:47 EDT
From: schriste@uceng.uc.edu (steven v christensen)
Subject: Turbo Clone Mode

I have an AT Turbo (VIP-200) which can run at 6Mhz or 13Mhz. The high
speed is switchable either from a front panel switch, or the key sequence
"Ctrl-Alt-\". The key sequence acts as a toggle.

I have reason to want to switch the turbo mode under program control.  It
would seem to me that if the key sequence would do it, and key sequences
are in the Phoenix BIOS (3.11.00 I think), then I could replicate it with
a program.

I have tried debugging the BIOS for the various keyboard interrupts.  Does
anyone know how I could toggle the speed with a program?

As a side, it would also be nice to be able to tell at which speed the
computer is operating, but that is secondary.

Thanks,
	Steven Christensen
	schriste@uceng.uc.edu

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 89 11:02:42 PDT (Monday)
From: "Sanjay_Keshava.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: typewriters/printers

This is in response to the message in Info-IBMPC Digest Sat, 19 Nov 88
Volume 7: Issue  54 from

Date: 15 Nov 88   15:08 LCL
From: "James H. Foggin" <PA44908%UTKVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>.

A few months back I purchased a typewriter which I also wanted to use as a
printer.  I wanted full word processing capabilities when used as a stand
alone typewriter as well as letter quality printing when connected to a
computer.

I purchased a Panasonic RKX-350.  The computer interface module was
separate.  The total cost was about $300 ($250 + $50).  The interface
module connects to the PC's parallel port.  I have only used it a few
times as a printer for MS Word, but I am satisfied with its performance.

The main shortcoming is that the plastic film typewriter ribbons are not
cheap, cannot be reused, and don't last very long (a few thousand
characters).  Cloth ribbons are available, but the print quality is not as
sharp as with a plastic film ribbon (although still acceptable).  The good
part about the ribbon is that the less expensive Brother typewriter
ribbons can be used instead.

Another bad point is that the daisy wheel is available only from Panasonic
and costs about $20, but fortunately it has a long lifetime.

								Sanjay
								->|<-

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 14:13:59 EDT
From: Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: USA Map Graphics Coordinates

 >I am looking for the coordinates for a USA map.  I would like to use these
 >coordinates in a pascal program to draw a picture of the USA in CGA mode.
 >Any suggestions on where I could get them?

See the pd1:<msdos.worldmap> directory on Simtel20 for a world map
database.  However, it may not be what you're looking for if you wanted
political boundaries (state lines), or cities, or topography.  You should
have been a little more specific as to what type of map you wanted.

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET:  kvancamp@PICA.ARMY.MIL -or- kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA
BITNET:   (use above through normal gateways, like UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU)
USENET:   pica.army.mil!kvancamp@UUNET.UU.NET
UUCP:     ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!kvancamp
                    "Tis better to Send than to Receive."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 89 15:49 MST
From: John May <JWMay@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM>
Subject: Worldmap

>From: igielski@mmm.serc.mmm.com (Tom Igielski)
>Subject: USA Map Graphics Coordinates
>
>I am looking for the coordinates for a USA map.  I would like to use these
>coordinates in a pascal program to draw a picture of the USA in CGA mode.
>Any suggestions on where I could get them?

The information Tom is looking for is in SIMTEL20.  Here follows an index
listing of the relevant directory:

>>NOTE: This list includes only the files that have been described.
>>There are other files in this directory which are not listed here.
>>See FILES.IDX in top level dir for a complete list without descriptions.
>>
>>Directory: <MSDOS.WORLDMAP>
>>
>>00README.1ST         1K  05-12-88  Information about files in this directory
>>AFRICA.ARC          71K  05-14-88  World Maps for Africa - 1 of 7
>>ANTARCTI.ARC        21K  05-14-88  World Maps for Antarctica - 2 of 7
>>ASIA.ARC           132K  05-14-88  World Maps for Asia - 3 of 7
>>AUSTRALI.ARC        28K  05-14-88  World Maps for Australia - 4 of 7
>>EUROPE.ARC         117K  05-14-88  Map of Europe - part of WORLDMAP package
>>MAPVU20.ARC        244K  01-15-89  MapView 2.0, world map files viewing program
>>NORTHAME.ARC       245K  05-14-88  World Maps for North America (EGA) 6 of 7
>>SOUTHAME.ARC        74K  05-14-88  World Maps for South America (EGA) 7 of 7
>>SWIVEL.ARC          51K  05-14-88  Display program for World Maps (EGA)
>>WORLD.ARC           37K  05-14-88  World map graphics database

I can't remember exactly, but I think the display programs included are
written in Pascal.  [They ARE written in Pascal!  ed.]

John May.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------