Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (05/25/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 25 May 89       Volume 89 : Issue  55

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
       Chuck Forsberg's X/Y/Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS updated
                             Re: FAXing
                    PC Jr Video Adapter Pinout Wanted
              Reading 3.5in disks from BBC compact
           Finding Free Disk Space using Turbo PASCAL 3.0
                  Re: How to print Feynman diagrams
                       Re: Instant ? MemoryMate
                     Re: Is there a Cyrillic WP?
                  Low density / Hi density 3.5 disks
                           Microprocessors
                      Please use valid addresses
                          Quarterdeck Patent
                     RLL drive interleave program
                      Trouble with BYE (V89 #51)
                         USA map coordinates
                               V30 BIOS
                  Re: Turbo Pascal to Turbo C Link

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: Bitnet via server at CCUC;
and from WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil (see file PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing
of source files)

WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@RPIECS.BITNET and in Europe from EARN TRICKLE servers as
listed: (send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> eg: TRICKLE@AWIWUW11)
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Date: Wed, 17 May 1989  03:35 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Chuck Forsberg's X/Y/Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS updated

I just received an update of X/Y/Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS from Chuck
Forsberg.  The individual files are in SIMTEL20's directory
PD3:<MISC.ZMODEM> and for the convenience of net users I have also
included RZSZ0511.ARC which includes all the files in this new version.

The archive's member files all have Unix end-of-lines.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 20:22 EDT
From: psrc@pegasus.att.com
Subject: FAXing

Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR%MSSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu> writes:

> I wanted to add that another alternative for sending FAX messages
> from a PC (but not receiving) is Compuserve.

If we're on the subject, let me add that you can also send e-mail to FAX
machines via the AT&T Mail service.  AT&T Mail has connectivity to and
from MS-DOS systems, Macintoshes, Telex, and systems talking UUCP or
X.400.  We can deliver messages via FAX machines, the U.S. Mail, an
overnight delivery service, or a four hour courier.

For more information, or to sign up, call 1-800-MAIL-672 (that's a voice
number:  1-800-624-5672).  No, I don't have a non-800 number handy; send
me e-mail and I'll dig one up for you.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm

Disclaimer: Just this once, maybe I *am* speaking for the company.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 16 May 89 14:32 EST
From:     SysEng/Tcomm-South Campus <PETERSON%LIUVAX.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  PC Jr Video Adapter Pinout Wanted

I am looking for a pinout chart for the PC jr's video adapter to see if it
is possible to run the screens on an ibm/pc clone with or without a
special video board.

J. Peterson/Sys Eng/ LIU-South
PETERSON@LIUVAX.BITNET
5162834000x351.MABELLNET

------------------------------

Date:     16-MAY-1989 19:17:18 GMT
From:      <PHYDESBONNET%VAX1.UCG.IE%irlearn.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:    Reading 3.5in disks from BBC compact

Hi,
Are there any utilities in existance which allows IBM format 3.5in disks
to be read by a BBC compact computer ?  Thanks in advance,

| Joe Desbonnet,      |  Bitnet/EARN/HEANET  PHYDESBONNET@VAX1.UCG.IE   |
| Computer Society,   |  PSI          PSI%+27246054000551::PHYDESBONNET |
| University College  |  VoiceNet  +353-91-24411 extension 2775 or 2716 |
| Galway, Ireland     |  Disclaimer: "I no nathin'"                     |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 08:49:59 MSZ
From: Thomas Stuempfig <FXCL%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Finding Free Disk Space using Turbo PASCAL 3.0

Hello,
I have a big problem: I have to know the available space on a disk within
a turbo pascal 3.0 program. I couldn't find any DOS-function,which has the
free disk-space as result. Any solutions? Is there a difference wheter the
disk is a real drive or a ram disk?  thanks for any ideas.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 May 89 17:15:56-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: How to print Feynman diagrams

Printing Feynman diagrams can be done with TeX (Don Knuth's typesetting
program).

In 1985, the Boston Computer Society IBM-PC Technical Group carried out a
project to test scientific word processors. They concocted a set of
benchmarks taken from various scientific publications. Feynman diagrams
was one of the problems.

While TeX is well suited for all kinds of mathematical and scientific
text, it is weak in the graphics area.  However, A.G.W. Cameron of Harvard
University did come up with a macro for drawing wiggly lines in TeX and
published the method in the journal of the TeX Users Group newsletter,
volume 6, no. 3, 1985, page 155. It may be available as a back issue from
P.O. Box 594, Providence, RI 02901, USA.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 May 89 12:53:14-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Instant ? MemoryMate

The original 1986 program was called "Instant Recall" by Precept, Palo
Alto, CA.  They had a shareware version with a small data limit and
another version that would handle large databases. Precept sold the rights
to Broderbund, who renamed the program MemoryMate and made some minor
changes.

If there is now a program called "Instant Access" by Precept, perhaps they
are back in the busiess.

Ted.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 22:58 EST
From: DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there a Cyrillic WP?

<HALDANE%UFPINE.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu> asked if there was a Cyrillic Word
Processor available.  Sone info that may be of interest:

You should take a look at PD1<MSDOS.EGA>CYRILLIC.ARC on
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  It's a new code page for MS-DOS 3.3 or above (so
it requires EGA or VGA, the latter preferred) and it'll let you use most
normal (english) WPs to enter Russian text. (I use it with KEDIT). The
text is coded in accordance with ECMA-113 / ISO 8859-5 / GOST 19768-87, so
you can exchange text with Soviet computers and print if you have a
GOST-compatible font for your printer.  A keyboard driver is included.

Claimer: I wrote it and it's 100% PD.

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
CUNY Graduate Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 May 89 16:35:13-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Low density / Hi density 3.5 disks

Sorry if my message was unclear. What David Camp is doing is perfectly OK,
using disks formatted for 720K in high density or low density *drives*.

My message talked about formatting the two different types of diskettes,
*not* drives. Go back and reread it.

Ted.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 89 21:26:59 CDT
From: University Honors Program <UHP%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Microprocessors

My roommate recently asked me to explain the difference between the
processors in an IBM-PC (original), an IBM-PC/XT, and an IBM-PC/AT, as
well as the newer 80286 and 80386 processors.  I started to explain and
managed to mix myself up more than my roommate was to begin with.  If
anyone has a concise explanation of the differences (speed, which
processor is in which computer, etc.), I would appreciate one.  A little
about the new PS/2's would also be helpful.

                     Thanks in advance-

| William D. Henry (Bill)       |  Mailing Address:       |
| University Honors Program     |  P.O. Box 3969          |
| Mississippi State University  |  Miss. State, MS  39762 |
| UHP@MsState.BITNET            |                         |
|                               |  Phone:  (601)325-2522  |
|     Live Long and Prosper.    |                         |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 20:01:51 PDT
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach)
Subject: Quarterdeck Patent

  The recent (May) issue of Computer Currents (L.A. area free computer
rag) reports, in an editorial, that Quarterdeck was recently granted a
patent on some aspect of software windowing technology. Anybody know more
about this ?

 jeff Sicherman

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 10:10 N
From: <RCSTRN%HEITUE5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RLL drive interleave program

I am the proud owner of a Seagate 238 RLL 30MB drive. I once downloaded
IAU17.arc, but it didn't work with a RLL drive. Does anyone know if one of
the newer versions does ? Furthermore I got the following problem:

I have partitioned the drive in 3x10 MB. On drive C: i got lots of trouble
with seek errors, drives D: and E: however have never given me any trouble
at all even though they are physically the same drive. I don't know if I
can improve my interleave, but I would like to get rid of these problems
with a low level format without losing my data, I will make a backup even
though it takes a lot of time, but restoring takes as much time and that's
what I am trying to save, the restore time, not the backup time (so don't
flame me for not making a backup please...)

Any help would be appreciated

Rob J. Nauta
rcstrn@heitue51.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 12:54:28 EDT
From: Bill Collins <GE777010%BROWNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: USA map coordinates

You might try the December 1987 issue of BYTE.  I believe there is a
program (with source listing) that is called CARTOG.PAS.  It is written in
Turbo Pascal and can generate a variety of maps with some longitude and
latitude lines in a variety of different projection types.  It might be a
place to start.

                                  Bill

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 11:23 N
From: <BRINKGRE%HLSDNL5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: V30 BIOS

I am looking for a (public domain ?) BIOS for the NEC V30 processor. I
know a german magazine once published a V20 BIOS. Does anyone know if it
is any different from a V30 BIOS. If not ,were can I find it ??.  Maybe
someone can send it to me.

        Regards,
                Michel Brinkgreve

BITNET/EARN:    BRINKGREVE@HLSDNL5
SURFnet:        DNLTS::BRINKGREVE
Netherlands.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89  9:41 MET
From: "Anneke Sicherer-Roetman"
       <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Turbo Pascal to Turbo C Link

Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto writes:

>    Hello, I'm trying to write a syntax checking program in Turbo C 2.0,
>but the lexical scanner is written in Turbo Pascal 5.0.

>    Now, my question is: can I call the Pascal lexical procedure from
>Turbo C?  And can I use global variables in both the Pascal lexical
>scanner and the Turbo C syntax procedure?

According to the manuals of both languages it is only possible to call
Turbo C functions from Turbo Pascal (subject to a few limitations) and
definitely NOT vice versa. Juan will obviously have to translate the
lexical procedure into C.  There is no other option.

Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Structural Chemistry Department, State University
Utrecht, Netherlands

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------