Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (06/02/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  2 Jun 89       Volume 89 : Issue  56

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Expanded Memory Questions
             Any way to redirect PrtSc output to a file?
                             CADKEY patterns
                      Scanjet Conversion Software
               Re: Reading Mac floppies on a PC (revisited)
        Re: Problems with double->int conversion with Microsoft C
                      Re: graphics routines troubles
                Re: Word Processor with Cyrillic Script
                Is There A TSR Comm Program with source?
                       Leading (?) Edge problems
                           Leading Edge Clock
                     memory conflicts on Tandy 4000
                    Where is Custom Software Systems?
                        Re: Print Position Aid
                     Help needed: Seequa Chameleon
                         Turbo C Subscript Bug
                      Re: USA mapping coordinates
                 MS-DOS development with 80286 Machine

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: Bitnet via server at CCUC;
and from WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil (see file PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing
of source files)

WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@RPIECS.BITNET and in Europe from EARN TRICKLE servers as
listed: (send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> eg: TRICKLE@AWIWUW11)
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey)

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 11:52 N
From: <BRINKGRE%HLSDNL5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Expanded Memory Questions

I have two questions:

- Are there utilities that allow programs to run in expanded memory ?

- I have an XT compatible with onboard 1 Mbyte of epanded memory. Is this
memory compatible with LIM EMS 4.0 ?

Michel Brinkgreve
BRINKGREVE@HLSDNL5

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 14:06:03 CST
From: Derek Morgan <C03601DM%WUVMD.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Any way to redirect PrtSc output to a file?

Is there anyway to redirect the printer output from a <SHIFT>-PrtSc
keypress?

I'd like to be able to put something that is on the PC screen (acting as a
dumb terminal through KERMIT), into a file.

AdvTHANKSance,
Derek Morgan
Washington University
Medical Computing Services Group

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 23:46 EDT
From: <HGOLDSTE%UDCVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: CADKEY patterns

for the people interested in CDAKEY patterns:

-CADKEY has a user group on the COMPUSERVE and i would guess there are
several pattern libraries available through it ...

-call bCADKEY itself and tell them what you want ... they do have a free
book of third party commercial software ... and they can refer you for
specific needs

-we do have a little library of electrical symbols, if you want it ...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 11:00:00 edt
From: KAHN%void.mceo.dg.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Scanjet Conversion Software

Scanjet images, there are 2 options.

  If you already have the scanning software used to create the image, you
can order from HP their "SCL Developers Kit" (model 09195-90031, $39.00 as
of last week) and develop your own conversion programs.  I wanted to be
able to add my own converters and this was "the only way" that it could be
done easily.  I should receive the package some time this week and if
anyone is interested Ill send them some feedback on it.

  The other option is to find someone who either has the SCL Developers
kit or who knows how to read in TIFF files (The description is floating
around here somehwere I believe; if not I have it) and who would be
willing to help write a converter.

  There are no know converters that I know of (except for a TIFF<->GIF
converter somewhere on Compu$erve).  I too would be interested in any
additional converters for the ScanJet images so if anyone else can help,
please post to the net.

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 May 89  12:21:31 EET
From: Spa35%GRATHUN1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Reading Mac floppies on a PC (revisited).

   In Info-IBMPC Digest #44 I was asking :

>[stuff deleted...]  I want to know if there's a public domain device
>driver that would permit to read Mac floppies to a PC with a 3.5'' drive.
>I know this may be possible because there's such a driver for reading
>Digital's RX50 floppies on a AT.  [stuff deleted...]

   The answer is NO because as Mirowski explains :

>From: Mirowski <MIROWSKI%FRECP12.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
>Subject: Reading Mac floppies on a PC

It's absolutely impossible to read Mac floppies on a PC : they have a
different number of sectors on each track and the speed of the disk
depends on the track being read (in order to maintain the linear density
of data constant). PC drives cannot change their rotational speed. On a
Commodore Amiga drive you could do the transfer, because their spin is
variable and with appropriate software they can read PC disk (Dos2Dos for
example).

    To conclude: It appears to be impossible to directly read Mac floppies
on a PC.  However, you can always transfer the files using Kermit, or any
other communications program with the transfer protocol of your liking
running on those machines. I finally used Kermit for that matter.

    I really thank everyone who responded to my request.

                                      Regards,
                                        Kassapidis Panagiotis, Athens

E-mail :  SPA35@GRATHUN1.BITNET
          KASSAPI@GRATHUN1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 89, 09:48:11 EST
From: Manjit S. Trehan  <ITMS400%INDYCMS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Re: Problems with double->int conversion with Microsoft C

Floating point representation is such that some numbers cannot be stored
exactly.  This causes certain numbers to come out with several 9's.  i.e.
100.0 may actually end up as 99.999999...  Due to higher precision of the
double-precision, representation of 100.0 may be closer to 100.0 than
99.999999...  You could round the result of the division, up, since the
result is being assigned to an integer.  If you understand how floating
point numbers are represented, you could use Microsoft's Code View program
to watch this happen.

Manjit S. Trehan <ITMS400@INDYCMS>

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 89, 09:48:36 EST
From: Manjit S. Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Re: graphics routines troubles

  The ".BGI" files contain the video drivers.  You should have "CGA.BGI"
"EGAVGA.BGI" and some others.  Anytime you use any of the graphics
procedures/functions, you must first call InitGraph.  It takes three
parameters:

    VAR
      Driver, GraphMode: INTEGER;
       :
    Driver := EGA;
    GraphMode := EGAHi;
    InitGraph(Driver, GraphMode, '');
    (* NOTE: the third parameter is the path to the file
       EGAVGA.BGI.  a null string means search default
       directory of the default drive. *)

On your Turbo C disks, there should be an archive containing the ".BGI"
files.  Using the "UNARC" program, you can get a listing of archives on
these disks.

The ".CHR" files contain fonts.  Each ".CHR" file contains a different
font.  If you call TextStyle and select anything other than the default
font, you will need to make sure the proper font file exists in your
current directory.  NOTE: These fonts are for graphics mode only.  These
files should also be in archives.

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 17:11:21 EST
From: munnari!extro.ucc.su.oz.au!r_cohen@uunet.UU.NET (Roger Cohen [ext 3943])
Subject: Re: Word Processor with Cyrillic Script

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL:

> I am asking this for a friend of mine who has a PC:

> Is there a word processor out there that can display and print Cyrillic
> script?  He has a strong interest in Russian, and would like a wp that can
> help him with it.

> Please respond directly, as I do not subscibe to this list.

> Bob Slaughter
> Haldane@UFPine          <-- Bitnet
> Haldane@Pine.circa.ufl.edu  <-- Internet

try mailing Mark McLaren  :  PAEOG1S@ucccvm1.bitnet he had a version of
wordmark -  with cyrillic fonts

good luck
Roger   : r_cohen@extro.ucc.su.oz

------------------------------

Date: Fri 19 May 89 09:50:44-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Is There A TSR Comm Program with source?

Does anyone have a very small TSR communications program with built in
macro capabilities, hopefully with SOURCE CODE.

Right now we are trying to share some laser printers with some mini
computers and our PC's.  The printers are now connected to print servers
with are connected to the mini's terminal server.  In order to print we
now must make a connection to the printer thru the terminal server using a
communications program.  Then we can load the application we want to print
from, and print to the serial port.  Leaving the application to start up
the communications program, make the connection, then back in the
application is something of a bother.  We would like to find a better way,
and are considering a LAN (but it's expensive for us to run new wire
because there's asbestos in rafters!)).  If we can find a way to provide a
simple keystroke to make the connection, it would be a very cheap
timesaver.

Requirements: It needs to, activate upon a keystroke, send a terminal
break signal, wait for prompt on serial port, then send the name of the
printer, and return to the application.

Thank's in advance,
Rick Rohan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 14:10:04 CST
From: Derek Morgan <C03601DM%WUVMD.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Leading (?) Edge problems

Has anybody had problems installing MicroSoft C 5.1 on Leading Edge model
D-2's? Version 5.0 installs and works just fine. Quick Basic v4.0 doesn't
work at all, either. If there are any patches out there, please let me
know.

Date: Sun, 21 May 89 19:48 EDT
From: tlimonce%drunivac.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Leading Edge Clock

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #53 <kaplan%artic.decnet@alexandria-emh2.army.mil>
writes:
> I have an old Leading Edge PC.  It runs on IBM DOS 3.2.  There is only
>one problem to this combination.  IBM DOS 3.2 cannot find the Leading
>Edge's clock or calendar.  Does anyone have a suggestion to solve this?

Simple.  Find a local Leading Edge dealer (there are many around here, I
don't know about your area) and get a file called CLKDVR.SYS.  Then add
the line DEVICE=CLKDVR.SYS to your CONFIG.SYS file.  If you need help, the
dealer should be able to do this for you.

After DOS 2.1 (I think) Leading Edge's required that program to have their
clocks activated (well, recognised by the system, rather).

 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 20:49:37 -0700
From: Alastair Milne <milne@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: memory conflicts on Tandy 4000

   I have a problem with PC-NFS 3.0 on 3 Tandy 4000's.

   The ethernet drivers for PC-NFS appear to conflict with the drivers for
extended memory (TEMM.SYS, distributed with the Tandy).  Attempting to use
both at the same time results either in boot failure, or *extremely* slow
net operation.

   Until recently this has been livable.  Though the Tandy's each have 2M,
we didn't really need it.  However, we are attempting to move from Turbo
Pascal 4 to 5, and it seems to be much more demanding about memory.  Two
or three programs that I'd ported to Turbo 4 (from UCSD Pascal) without
very serious problems keep running out of memory when Turbo 5 tries to
compile them (in the interactive environment).

   Has anybody encountered either problem before?

   More detail available if needed.  Please reply directly to me; I read
the bboards rather seldom.

   Thanks a lot,

   Alastair Milne

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 15:43:34 CDT
From: James Gregory <jgregory@ST-LOUIS-EMH2.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PC/VI Vendor

A couple of years ago a vendor called Custom Software Systems sold a
product called PC/VI.  We have attempted to contact them without success
to see if we can purchase an upgrade.  Is anyone familiar with the product
or organization?  Their address was in Natick, Mass..  If you have any
information please send mail directly to jgregory@st-louis-emh2.army.mil.

Thanks!
Jim Gregory

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 22:18:32 EDT
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Print Position Aid

In Info-IBMPC 89.52, Larry Kelly asks for info about a print position
layout aid which is an acetate overlay which can be placed over a
preprinted form to identify the line and column numbers for fields on the
form.  (It can also be used to help in the original design of the form.)

I've got what I think you're looking for.  It's called "Print Position
Aid" (surprise!) and is available from:

  Computing Aids, Inc.
  P. O. Box 227
  Needham, MA 02192
  (617) 444-3833  (I don't know if the area code is still correct)

List price is $49.95 plus $2.90 S&H, but at that it's overpriced.  I think
I paid $25-30 for it (new and unused) at a flea market.  It's got six
pages with 11x15 grids at 6 and 8 lpi vertical and 10, 12, and 15 cpi
horizontal.  There are also rulers on four of the sheets for 5, 6, 8.3,
16.7, 17.1, and 20 cpi spacing for use with some matrix printer output.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 May 89 00:47:12 -0400
From: ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap)
Subject: Help needed: Seequa Chameleon

My apologies for what must be very primitive hardware to most of you.
Please skip if you don't know what a Seequa Chameleon is.

I have been offered a used Seequa Chameleon totable at a low price.  It
runs both MSDOS and CPM (dual CPU).  According to the owner, it has bad
locations in high memory and a kaput serial port. He has no documentation
for the machine.  I would be very grateful if any former or current owners
could answer some questions of mine before I end up with an expensive
paperweight.

(Important)

Is it possible to expand the internal memory above 256k by changing the
memory chips and possibly a little hardware hacking? There are 36 64k RAM
chips, bearing the number MCM6665 (I think).  I'm not scared of
electronics so I don't mind a little soldering.

I assume the serial port problem is probably a bad driver chip, but is
there any known chronic problem with this?

How generic is the PC? I'm happy to run plain stuff. Graphics would be
nice but not essential.

Is the manufacturer out of business? The owner thought so. Anywhere I can
get schematics, etc?

(Less important)

There are some empty sockets. One appears to be for an 8087, right?  Two
others seem to be for hard disk chips. Know anything about these?
Any chance of changing the 110V only supply for a dual voltage one?
(Wishful thinking.) Will it ever run Minix?
Any other caveats you would like to share, etc?

Please email. Many thanks in advance!

	Ken
	ken@cs.rochester.edu
	..!rochester!ken

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 09:51:16 EDT
From: Ben Cline <BENJY@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Turbo C Subscript Bug

Turbo C 2.0 cannot handle doublely subscripted arrays in any memory model
if the size of the arrays exceeds 64 KB.  The sample program attached at
the bottom of this posting illustrates the problem.  One array is given a
set of values.  Then the contents of the first array is copied into the
second array, and the two arrays are compared.  If the arrays have the
same contents as they should, the program is silent; however, if the
contents of the two arrays differ, a message is printed for each pair of
cells that are different.  Under Turbo C 2.0 and previous versions, the
arrays do differ if the total amount of memory of the two arrays exceeds
64 KB.

This same program works properly on a variety of other compilers.  It
works properly under VAX/VMS and most UNIX systems.  Under Microsoft C
(version 4 I think) the program works properly if the arrays are made
static.  The Microsoft compiler at least tells you it can't handle
automatic arrays this large.  Turbo C gives no error messages or warnings.

I reported this problem as a bug in Turbo C 1.4 to Borland in February
1988 and received an acknowledgement that indeed there was a problem and a
work-around using pointers.  I was very surprised when I discovered the
bug still existed in version 2.0.  I think it's extremely poor of Borland
to knowingly allow their product to generate erroneous code without
producing some message or warning.  A person can waste hours finding this
type of bug.  What happens if you try to port a program with large,
indexed arrays?  Does Borland expect us to rewrite such programs?  And
there are times when subscripts make a program more readable than
pointers.  I wonder if Borland isn't more interested in producing a flashy
user interface than a reliable compiler.

I guess it's time to invest in a real C compiler.

Ben Cline
Virginia Tech
Benjy@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Benjy@VTVM1 (Bitnet)

#include <stdio.h>
#define ILIM 200
#define JLIM 320

main()
{
        unsigned char array1[ILIM][JLIM];
        unsigned char array2[ILIM][JLIM];
        int i,j;

/*      Give array1 a set of values.                                */
        for(i=0;i<ILIM;i++) for(j=0;j<JLIM;j++) array1[i][j]=i;
/*      Copy array1 to array2.                                      */
        for(i=0;i<ILIM;i++) for(j=0;j<JLIM;j++) array2[i][j]=array1[i][j];
/*      Compare the arrays and print a message when they differ.    */
        for(i=0;i<ILIM;i++) for(j=0;j<JLIM;j++)
                if(array1[i][j] != array2[i][j])
                        printf("ERROR(i,j,a1,a2): %d %d %d %d\n",
                        i,j,array1[i][j],array2[i][j]);
}

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 18 May 89 09:58 N
From:     <ROSING%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Re: USA mapping coordinates

Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is big business these days - without
doubt the fastest growing area of geography.  I have been involved in it
since its beginning in about 1965.  You ask for coordinates for a USA map.
There are at least six different major ways of recording and storing
these.  You will have to get one which is compatable with your mapping
routine.  There are also lots and lots of very flexible mapping systems,
most of them commercially available.  I have lots of "base maps" but not
the USA.

What level of detail do you want?  What sort of map?  Outline of the USA
with major rivers is available from the CIA for example, or outlines of
all the +- 3,000 counties from the Census Bureau.  State outlines are also
available in many forms.

I would suggest that you send a more detailed request to the Micro-com-
puter users group electronic mailling list.  Some 50-60 (computer) geog-
raphers will then see your request there.  The address is:

                           AAGMSG-L@UICVM

Good Luck,
Ken Rosing

In addition I just noticed that *PC Week* of 17 April 1989, Vol. 6, No. 15
pp. 151-158. has an article on computer mapping.  Discussion is good and
contains a sketchy table of 27 vendors of mapping software and geographic
data sets (coordinates).  Gives brief description, prices, and addresses.
This may help.  Would still advise asking "AAGMSG-L@UICVM" however - some
one might be willing to give you what you need and that beats buying it!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 14:49:46 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB%WUVMD.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: MS-DOS development with 80286 Machine

I intend to buy an 80286 system for MS-DOS development, but I'd like to
keep my options open for OS/2 development. There was a review of 80286
systems in PC Computing, Feb. 1989 of packages by AST, CompuAdd, NEC,
Maxum, and PC Designs. Does anyone have any good, or bad experiences with
these machines and the companies that produce them? Has anyone had
problems with software that wouldn't run on these systems? Any facts
and/or opinions are welcome. Are there any quirks to be aware of?

Thank you.
Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------