Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (07/02/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  1 Jul 89       Volume 89 : Issue  64

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                           286 Accelerator
                      80x86/8088 Microprocessors
                Expanded & Extended memory management
                         Changing Clock Rate
                          Drive Allignments
                       Emulator & File Transfer
     Recommendations for Software and Hardware Upgrades requested
                          SmartDrive Question
                        1-2-3 .WKS File Format
                   making EMACS work like PC-Write
                      Patch for MSKermit 2.32/A
                              ps/2 error
                 Screen Problem with Turbo Pascal 5.0
                       SEARCHING FOR MERGE.PRD
                TANDY 1000 Ex and expansion chassis
                   The WordPerfect (ver. 4.2) Virus
                               VGA BIOS
                    Windows 386 and 3270 emulation
                            Z-248 Problems
                    GW-BASIC Manual Source Wanted

Date: 14 Jun 89 16:36:15 GMT
From: burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett)
Subject: 286 Accelerator

I was wondering if someone out there might know how to activate a 286
accelerator card from Mega Omega called -- The Companion Card.

This card is installed in a Zenith 158 that we picked up as a used package
deal from a non-retail scource and there was no manual to be found.

We think the card includes 2 meg of extended memory (1 meg one the card, 1
meg piggy backed).  I have checked the included harddisk and autoexec.bat
for associated utilities but can find none.

I have never used an accelerator card before and can not find anybody who
has.  Since the card was installed in the machine I am assuming that the
company that was using it had it up and running (that company has bit the
dust and cannot be found --- bankrupcy :-) ).

Are these cards activated with a hot key?  Do they require software?
Anyone ever hear of this company?

Any help getting this card up and running would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed Burkett and Thomas Schuck
Dept. Biological Sciences

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 1989 18:53-CDT
From: SAC.DYESGPF@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: 80x86/8088 Microprocessors

The information posted on the 80x86 and 8088 family of microprocessors
recently seemed very well researched with the exception of the 88's.  The
80x88 processors do not take twice the time to operate because the
instruction queue compensates for 8 bit transfers to a great extent.  I
have also read that the prototype H/Z100 (a dual processor 8085/8088
machine) was designed to run at 12 Mhz vice 1981/82 but was downgraded to
4.77 because of the price of 64K 100ns memory chips and addressing logic
chips at that time.  IBM-PC with an 8088 at 4.77 Mhz may have had some
impact on this also, it came to market a few months before the '100'.  The
Zenith H/Z100 used an S100 bus which made it very compatable with many
mini's and CPM machines/cards.  If you look carfully at the PS/2 bus you
will notice that it is really a slightly modified S-100 bus which is a
real boon if you are trying to squeeze as much speed as possible from your
memory and i/o.  That is how the original '100' was able to run at 12 Mhz
back then.

Al Holecek
<SAC.DYESGPF@E.ISI.EDU>

Disclaimer: I do not work for Zenith and DOD and the Air Force may not
agree with the above thoughts.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 89   22:24 CEC
From: Victor Cid  CEC Univ. de Chile <VCID%UCHCECVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Expanded & Extended memory management

     I'm trying to gather  information about handling of expanded and
extended memory in 286 & 386 machines. The idea is to store data in that
type of memory on it's way to disk. Is it possible to detect by software
the existence of such devices?.

     Any help will be most appreciated, thanks in advance,

     Victor Cid
     - C E C -
Universidad de Chile

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 1989 18:12-CDT
From: SAC.DYESGPF@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: Changing Clock Rate

In Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 89 Issue 51
PT151%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU Writes about Clock Rate Switching
when accessing Extended Memory.

>I have a problem with my AT-clone equipped with a Chaintech ELT 286 B
>motherboard with the Chips and Technologies NEAT chip set and 1 MB ram
>(640 kB low memory + 384 kB extended memory).

(Deleted stuff)

>Has anyone noticed a similiar speed reducing side effect?  (I think it
>happens when the 80286 is switched to the protected mode).  If you have
>any ideas how to circumvent this effect please let me know.

Since no one else has replied to this here is my $.02 worth.  You are
probably on the right track about the 80286 switching modes being the
cause of the problem.  The 286 has opcode to switch to protected mode but
can not get back to real mode without doing a CPU reset.  Since there is a
flag byte in low memory that is used to tell bios that the reset was
triggered by software (RAMDISK) the boot sequence is not activated when
the machine returns to real mode to use the data which was just
transferred from extended memory to the bios file buffers.

I suspect however that the reset command does cause the clock to reset to
the default frequency (12 MHz).  There appears to be only two possible
things I can think of that might help: (1) Reconfigure your extended memory
to expanded memory if possible.  Expanded memory does not require
protected mode operation and therefore does not require the CPU reset
every time you access the RAMDRIVE.  (2) Don't access RAMDRIVE when you
want the higher clock rate.

Al Holecek <SAC.DYESGPF@E.ISI.EDU>

Disclaimer: The information provided above has no connection with my Air
Force job.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 16 Jun 1989 13:05:16 EDT
From: "David Neal"  <U233B@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>
Subject: Drive Alignments

I would like to do floppy disk drive alignments but have thus far been
unable to locate any info on the subject.  Are there any good books or
tutorials available?

David Neal         BITNET - U233B@WVNVM
                 Internet - U233B@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1989 21:22:58 EDT
From: Predator <CBTCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Emulator & File Transfer

  Liv Sta writes:
>   Does anybody out there know a nice product to use instead of
>PC/VMbond? We have to use coax so it's no use with Kermit.  What we are
>looking for should contain: 3270-emulation, easy file-transfer utilities
>and a programming interface.

You might try YTERM.  It's a communication package available from Yale
Univ.  I like it much better then PC/VMBOND.  The file transfer system is
much easier, albeit a little slow.  I'm honestly not sure about the 3270
emulation, though.  Good luck!

Predator <Bitnet: CBTCC@CUNYVM>

What does not kill us, pisses us off!
Acknowledge-To: <CBTCC@CUNYVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 12:25 EDT
From: Dave Porter <DPORTER@BUSINESS.UWO.CA>
Subject: Recommendations for Software and Hardware Upgrades requested

    Currently running Everex 386/20, 2meg, no math coprocessor, 45 meg
hard drive, MS DOS 3.3. I need to run regressions requiring >40 megs
memory.  I currently plan to write my own fortran code to do this since I
do not know of a package capable of running regressions of this size.  Is
anyone doing something similar?

    Recommendations for software upgrades?
     - MSDOS fortan compiler capable of 40 meg virtual addressing
     - operating system capable of virtual addressing to 40 megs,
       and appropriate fortran compiler
     - is there a stats package capable of solving my size problems?

    Recommendations for hardware upgrades?
     - floating point co-processors (387, Weitek etc)
     - hard drive/controller

------------------------------

Date: Sat Jun 17 19:31:58 1989
From: larryo@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: SmartDrive Question

| In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #57 Moore@ncsc.navy.mil asked:
|
| The documentation that comes with Windows 2.11/286 states that, when you
| use the disk caching driver Microsoft provides (SmartDrive), you should
| set your buffers to 20.  This seems redundant:  if you're using a disk
| cache, shouldn't you be able to reduce the buffers to (virtually) 0, since
| the device driver is already doing caching?

Ordinarily, one would think so, however this is only the case if you
assume that the DOS buffers= cache is a disk cache.

  In fact, the DOS buffers= cache is not a straight disk cache, but in
fact is a priority weighted cache that gives preference to FAT (file
allocation table) and directory sectors.  SMARTDRV.SYS is simply a disk
cache, and as such contains no information about the format of the disk,
it simply caches tracks in memory.

  The problem is that even though SMARTDRV reduces the overhead of the
hard disk hit on the access to these portions of the hard disk (and they
comprise of a surprising amount of the time spent in file I/O), it does
nothing to reduce the overhead of calling into the disk driver, and all of
the sundry calculations that go along with that operation.

  Remember that whenever you read 1 byte of data from the disk, the DOS
has to map in the entire sector that contains the data into the buffer
cache.  Thus if your application (ie Microsoft Windows) is doing small
reads, even though the DOS isn't hitting the disk, it is still doing all
of the calculations involving the disk hit.

  Consider the case where you are reading a byte (or 512 bytes that aren't
on a sector boundary) that is 10K into a file.  For the sake of argument,
lets assume that the file is on a 1.2M floppy, thus the disk cluster size
is also 512 bytes.  This means that the there are 20 FAT entries that
describe the data up to the start of the file (1 for each cluster).  When
the DOS tries to determine which cluster contains the data the user is
requesting, it has to find each of the clusters in turn (since they are a
linked list) to find the next cluster in the list.  If your file is
fragmented, this means that you could pull in as many as 5 or 10 FAT
sectors into the DOS buffer cache.  If your buffer cache is big enough,
the sectors are already in the cache, however if it isn't, the DOS will
have to read in EACH of the sectors in turn, keeping the LRU in the
cache.  Even if you don't have the 20-80 Millisecond overhead of hitting
the disk, you still have the overhead of all of the calculations, and the
DOS will start thrashing wildly.

  In general, you should allocate enough BUFFERS= to contain a significant
amount of your FAT in memory, and the assumption is made that 20 is a
reasonable number to contain most disks FAT/Directories (that's 10K of
data used for the BUFFERS=).

  If you use DOS 4.0, you can save the 10K of low memory with the /E (or
is it /X?) switch that puts the buffers in expanded memory.  With the most
recent 4.0 (4.02?) that most of Microsoft's OEM's are shipping (including
IBM), all of the known compatibility problems with the /E switch have been
fixed, so it is really quite reliable to use it.

  As a general rule of thumb, you should never set your BUFFERS= to less
than 5 or 10, since DOS will thrash so wildly that your performance will
be completely unacceptable.

        Larry Osterman.

 "The opinions described above are my own and in no way reflect those of
my employer.  In other words, this is NOT an official pronouncement from
Microsoft, it's just me blathering my head off".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 89 13:19:16 EDT
From: Bruce_Burrell@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 1-2-3 .WKS File Format

   Brian Arnold ask for a source for the internal representation of the
123 .WKS files.  This can be found in 'File Formats For Popular PC
Software', by Jeff Walden.  I think it gives a complete description,
except for the password material.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 12:25:54 PDT
From: tomaschke#greg%e.mfenet@CCC.MFECC.LLNL.GOV
Subject: making EMACS work like PC-Write

Before I re-invent the wheel, does anyone have an EMACS init file that
will make EMACS look like PC-Write?  Please E-mail to me at

TOMASCHKE#GREG%E.MFENET@CCC.MFECC.LLNL.ARPA
or
GPT@CCC.MFECC.LLNL.GOV

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 17:12:20 PDT
From: Alan Ariel <1052P%NAVPGS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Patch for MSKermit 2.32/A

    For those of you who use MSKermit 2.32/A, you might have noticed that
if you have a color monitor and you use a color foreground and a black
background the reverse video mode line at the bottom of the terminal mode
screen is not the most readable in the world.  So after looking at the
source, I did some exploring and developed a patch for those of you who
might to change it.  From looking at the ASM code, I was able to determine
that I needed to find the first occurence of  AND AH,77h in the code and
replace it with MOV AH,4E and a NOP.  This location turned out to be file
offset 46,152.  The easiest way to do this is to use Norton Utilities or
something similar and search the file for the first occurence of the 3
byte sequence 80 E4 77.  Replace those 3 bytes with B4 XY 90, where the XY
represents the desired attribute for the mode line.  X is the background
and Y is the foreground.  In my case I used 4E which gives a red
background and a yellow foreground.

I hope this helps anyone else who might be interested.

Alan D. Ariel                               BITNET: 1052P@NAVPGS
LT        USN                               DDN:    1052P@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
SMC 1624                                    (or)    LEEKW@A.ISI.EDU
Naval Postgraduate School                   Tel:    (408) 646-2786
Monterey, CA 93943                          AV:     878-2786
Acknowledge-To: <1052P@NAVPGS>

------------------------------

Date: 15 June 1989 11:27:45 CDT
From: <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: ps/2 error

When you booted off the reference disk did you correct the date and time?
If you did then my other opinion is that the battery is dead/dying.  Does
this error occur after the machine hasn't been used for a while?  The
battery gets charged when the machine gets turned on.  If the battery is
on it's last legs then the battery could be drained before it gets a
recharging.....

Hope this helps,
Bj

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 89 12:27 EDT
From: DAVID KLEIN <DAVID%YUORION.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Screen Problem with Turbo Pascal 5.0

     I'm having a problem with my new version of Turbo Pascal 5.0.  It
does not seem to want to leave my monitor in a readable colour, that is,
the screen is put at a solid amber colour.  As a result, the  commands are
just not visible on the screen and when  exiting from TP the monitor is
still solid amber.

     Has anyone had this problem?  I'm sure it's fairly simple, but I'm
darned if I can find it in the reference manual (legitimate).  My
configuration is a standard XT clone with an ATI EGA Wondercard.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Klein

Bitnet: (DAVID @ YUORION)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 16:06:20 CET
From: Harald Rakoczy <S91%DHDURZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SEARCHING FOR MERGE.PRD

Hello all over the world.  I'm searching for the programm MERGE.PRD.

My problem is to merge two printer driver (WORD 4.0) to one printer
driver. The existing one is HPLJ_SFP for the HP LaserJet Series II.  The
new one I created with the programm TYPE DIRECTOR. My idea now is to put
the two printer driver together do I can mix the fonts of both drivers in
one document.

Any idea to manage this problem?

I've heard about a programm named MERGE.PRD.  Could this programm be the
solution for my problem?

Many thanks in advance

                           Harald

Universtaetsrechenzentrum
Im Neuenheimer Feld 293
D 6900 Heidelberg
West-Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 17:24:33 EDT
From: Don Mac Phee <BIW137%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: TANDY 1000 Ex (Ugh.) and expansion chassis.

 I have had the following problems dropped on my desk :

 1) Is there, *ANYWHERE*, a HDcontroller that will fit the proprietary
Plus expansion slot used by the Tandy 1000Ex.  Or is there a harddrive
that will understand the inturupts given by a Floppy controller.

 2) Unrelated. Is there an expansion bus, now, or being developed that
will utilize an MCA slot to give you AT style slots.

+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Donald C. Mac Phee             | Programming Assistant, Univ RI    |
| BITNET:Biw137@Uriacc.Bitnet    | Engineering Major, Univ RI.       |
| Partial Post: P.O. Box 161     | 'I recently found out that my     |
+-------------+ E. Greenwich, RI | school is in "Little Rest", RI.   |
| My URI park-| 02818-0161       +----+ Neat, a college of little    |
| ing space.  | 'Thataway.' -J.T. Kirk| rest.... (*sigh*)'           |
+-------------+-----------------------+------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 02:30:04 IST
From: Eldad Salzmann +972-3-472406 <ELDAD%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: The WordPerfect (ver. 4.2) Virus

I'm not sure whether you are interested in viruses or not. You probably
heard of WordPerfect (if not worked with it), and if so, I believe the
following article may be of interest to you. If you think it could be of
help to others as well, please post it to these other individuals/lists.
Regards,  -Eldad

From:        Y. Radai <RADAI1@HBUNOS>
To:          VIRUS-L@LEHIIBM1

  A virus which specifically infects WordPerfect was described recently by
people from Pace and Stanford.  Despite a few discrepancies in some of
their descriptions, I suspect that they have the same virus which was
described in VIRUS-L last January by Eldad Salzmann and Dirk Bode.  In any
case, since I have just now discovered the explanation for that virus, I
am giving it here.

  Last January, Eldad Salzmann described in VIRUS-L how his Word-Perfect
program suddenly started looking in drive A: for the file WP.EXE when it
had previously been working well from his hard disk.  Soon Dirk Bode
reported that this behavior sounded like the problem they had, which was
caused by a memory-resident virus that attaches itself to every executed
COM or EXE file except WP 4.2; however it prevents WP from using the hard
disk.

  This sounded a lot like the behavior of the Israeli virus, although as
far as I knew, that virus never alters normal execution of a pro- gram it
infects.  Also, while one could see from the disassembly that the virus
was deliberately coded not to infect COMMAND.COM, there was absolutely
nothing to indicate that WP was also singled out for special treatment.
So my guess was that either someone had hacked the Israeli virus to make
it attack WP, or that the WP problems were caused by something other than
a virus.

  Later Otto Stolz kindly sent me a copy of Dirk's virus, mentioning that
he could find no difference between it and the Israeli virus.  But it was
only a few days ago, when Eldad sent me his copy of WP.EXE, that I finally
got around to researching this virus.  I have now found the solution to
the enigma.

  First of all, I verified that the WP virus is indeed identical with the
Israeli virus.  There now remained two main questions: (1) How can a virus
which is programmed to add code to files without affecting their behavior,
not do this in *all* cases?  (2) What is so special about WP.EXE?  I
discovered that when the virus is in RAM and WP is executed, instead of
adding 1808 bytes to the end of WP.EXE, as it does with almost every other
EXE file, the virus *overwrites* part of WP.EXE (at least in the case of
WP 4.2) with the 1808-byte viral code!  Now when a WP.EXE file is
executed, WP apparently checks itself for validity before doing anything
else.  If the virus has overwritten code instead of appending it, WP will
discover that it is invalid.  This causes it for some reason to look for
the file WP.EXE on drive A:.  If it doesn't find it, it issues the message
"Can't find correct copy of WP.EXE".  In any case, one can no longer use
the copy of WP.EXE on the h.d.

  This was where I had gotten to at the beginning of the week.  I dropped
the subject for a while to work on other things, until yesterday, when
(without consciously thinking about the matter) it suddenly hit me *why*
the Israeli virus treats WP.EXE differently from other EXE files.  In
order to determine the length of an EXE file it is infecting, a virus can
use the the length-of-file field (bytes 2 through 5) in the header at the
beginning of the EXE file, and this is indeed what the Israeli virus does
when infecting EXE files.  But what if the value of this field is
incorrect??  I looked at these bytes in the uninfected WP.EXE, and found
that they were 80 01 29 01 (hex).  Translating, we get (01*256 + 29h -
1)*512 + 01*256 + 80h = 151936, which is much smaller than the actual
length of the file (269963 bytes).  Checking the infected WP.EXE I found
that the starting address of the viral code was precisely 151936.  Also,
by changing these bytes in the uninfected WP.EXE to 8B 00 10 02, I was
able to get WP to execute normally even after infection.  Thus my hunch
was confirmed.  (As to why the value of this field was incorrect in the
header of WP.EXE, I leave this explanation to the WordPerfect Corp.)

  I have also heard of another file, PK36.EXE, which is overwritten by the
Israeli virus.  Presumably this too is due to an incorrect byte count in
its header.

  The description by "IA96000" of the virus discovered at Pace differs
from that of the Israeli virus in a few respects.  However, experience has
taught me that descriptions of viruses at a time of panic are often
inaccurate, so that my guess is that it's the same virus.  In any case,
anyone who needs a program for eradicating the Israeli virus (plus a few
others) can obtain one (UnVirus by Yuval Rakavy) by writ- ing to me.
(Please indicate if you want it in uuencoded or xxencoded form.)

                                          Y. Radai
                                          Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem

Eldad Salzmann                       <Eldad@TAUNIVM>
P.O.Box 53160
Tel Aviv 61531
Israel            Tel: 972-3-472406

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 14:19:42 CDT
From: I-Ming Tsai <TTSAI%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: VGA BIOS

Hi, I have recently acquired a LOGIX 16 bit VGA card, and with the card
came some very interesting demos.  Anyway, one of the programs was PLASMA,
which came with Turbo Pascal source code.  The problem is that the screen
flickers uncontrollably during the *animate* stage.  After looking through
the source code, I noticed that the blinking occurs only during the call
to the BIOS routine SET BLOCK COLOR REGISTERS (INT 10h, Function $1012).
I dugged through all my source codes looking for programs that use this
function, and I found a routine in SVGA.ASM (part of SGLASS, an EGA/VGA
demo) that calls the same interrupt, except that before the interrupt is
called, this little loop is used:

                mov     al,3DAh
                Vest:   in al,dx
                        test al,8
                        jnz Vest        ; Wait for NOT in Vsync
                Vest2:  in al,dx
                        test al,8
                        jz Vest2        ; Wait for in Vsync

This looks like what I was looking for, so I inserted the routine into
PLASMA.PAS.  The program just goes into an infinite loop at that routine
though.  (The Vest2 loop to be exact).  I also tried PLASMA on a Paradise
VGA Plus (8 bit) card with the same result.  A friend of mine, however,
has ran PLASMA successfully on a CompuAdd machine.  What would I like to
know is, how can I fix the problem???  Any help would be greatly
appreciated..

Tim

BITNET : TTSAI@MSSTATE
US MAIL: PO Box 7203
         Mississippi State, MS  39762

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 89 16:24:49 EDT
From: ARMENGAU%FRECP12.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Windows 386 and 3270 emulation

  I would like to know if somebody succeeded in running the 3270 emulation
(v. 3.02) in a window of MS-W /386. The PSCPG.PIF file that comes with the
emulation does not work (Windows crashes and return to DOS).

  Thanks in advance.              Joel Armengaud (Ecole Centrale Paris)

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 23 Jun 89 7:43:14 KST
From:     Gregory Hicks - COMFLEACT Chinhae  <comfleact@taegu-emh1.army.mil>
Subject:  Z-248 Problems

Have a few problems with a Zenith Z-248 that you may have seen before.  I
know I haven't.

Problem 1:  Hard disk drive C:  Should it be drive type 2?  I think
they're Seagate ST225's.  At any rate, they're the ones that came with the
'intermediate' system.

Problem 2:  We made a sub-directory on this drive.  After connecting to
it, and doing a 'DIRectory', we noticed that the VERY first entry was a
'>' instead of the expected '.' entry.  Can't remove the directory either.
Kept getting the "Invalid path, not a directory, or directory not empty"
message.

Also can't load such programs as Norton Utilities from the hard disk.
Keep getting a "program too big to fit in memory" message.  However, the
same program loads nicely from a floppy disk.  Actually, can't load much
of anything from the hard disk...  Not even a memory checker that occupies
200 bytes!

I've tried the following:  Norton Disk Doctor, Mace Utilities, PC-Tools,
low level format followed by partition, DOS format and loading the system.
Nothing seems to help...  I EVEN tried entering the bootstrap sectors from
a known good system (via Norton Utilities) onto sector 0

Problem 3:  Another machine:  If I make the boot device drive c:, I get a
musical note on the screen whenever I try a clear screen.  In addition,
the system locks up when the screen is full.  Have the following
CONFIG.SYS file:

device=nansi.sys
files=20
buffers=30
device=vdisk.sys

Autoexec.bat looks like this:

prompt=$e[37;44;1m
prompt $e[0;113;"cls";13p
prompt $e[0;112;"ll ";
prompt
cls
echo off
path c:\batch;c:\bin;c:\dos
egablank
scroll
c:\bin\nde >nul:
cls
ver
rtclock

IF I make the boot device "floppy then winchester", everything boots OK.

Any ideas?  I'm out.

Best,
Gregory Hicks

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 17:43:39 +0200
From: Johan Buelens <FGCBA11%BLEKUL11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject GW-Basic Manual Source wanted

I'm desesperately seeking a manual: our lab bought the software, but the
manual is lost.

The software is the Olivetti GW-BASIC Compiler (v. 2.01) and was probably
purchased somewhere in 1985 - despite the name, this IS a Microsoft
product.

Any ideas on how to get the manual?

many thanks,
johan.

/ / / / / / / / / / /
/ Johan BUELENS
/ KUL / Dept. Scheikunde / Celestijnenlaan  200 F / B - 3030  Heverlee
/ tel. (32) (16) 20 06 56 ext. 3595
/ e-mail : fgcba11@blekul11.bitnet
/          fgcba11@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be
/          johan%kulqc1.uucp