Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (07/09/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  8 Jul 89       Volume 89 : Issue  66

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Cyrillic code page for DOS (2 msgs)
                       DBase III+ File Format
                        LaTex printer drivers
                       NEC replacement for 8086
                PC/VI input of box-drawing characters
          Software interchange: IBM compat with AMSTRAD 9512
                      Re: Text editor required
                     Text search within ARChives
                      TOPS problem with PC Clone
                           Re: Updating ROM

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: Bitnet via server at CCUC;
and from WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil (see file PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing
of source files)

WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@RPIECS.BITNET and in Europe from EARN TRICKLE servers as
listed: (send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> eg: TRICKLE@AWIWUW11)
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), FINTUVM (Finland), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain)
and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Date: Thursday, 22 June 1989  09:35-MDT
From: <DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Cyrillic code page for DOS

Some time ago I uploaded CYRILLIC.ARC, my hack for adding Russian letters
to MS-DOS, to SIMTEL20. I received several letters asking me to add
printer fonts to it.  I have uploaded an updated version.

The changes are:
1) I've included downloadable fonts for epson fx
2) I've included Russian hyphenation patterns
3) I've updated the document accordingly

The new file is in PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>CYRILIC2.ARC

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
CUNY GC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 10:17 N
From: STEFFENS%DMSWWU5P.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Downloadable Cyrillic Fonts

Does anyone have a set of downloadable cyrillic fonts for a NEC pinwriter
model P6 or P7 or P2200? The fonts should replace one of the LQ fonts of
those printers, either the proportional or the courier (preferred!) font.
If someone has, it would be nice to let me know via E-mail, or better,
send me the fonts.

Thanks a lot,
Karsten C.Steffens                      STEFFENS@DMSWWU5P.EARN
Institut fuer Kernphysik
D-4400 Muenster
Federal Republic of Germany

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 22 Jun 89 15:21 EDT
From:     <BRUCEH%UTKVX3.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  dBase III+ file layout

Can anyone tell me what the layout for a dBase III+ database (.DBF) file
looks like.  I have figured out the field definitions, but the first 32
bytes contain info like how many records, etc.  I would like to know the
layout of this area,

Thanks,
Bruce Harrison
Univ. of Tenn. at Martin
Computer Center
Martin, TN  38238

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 89 13:17:37 ADT
From: ELDO000 <ELDO%UNB.CA@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: LaTex printer drivers

I am looking for printer drivers for LaTex in the personal computer
version.  It is my understanding that the version of LaTex available at
UNB has drivers for the Hercules card as a previewer and Epson or HP laser
printers.  Anyone know of alternatives for the PS/2 model 30 or 3286 and
the various flavours of Proprinter?

Eldo H.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 15:14 N
From: <OHK_HV%HNYKUN51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: NEC replacement for 8086

I have an IBM clone (LASER XT2) using an 8086 running at 10 MHz.  I want
to install a NEC replacement for the 8086. What is the NEC replacement for
an 8086 (like V20 is for 8088) ? Is it pin compatible ? What kind of speed
improvement can I expect ?

Hans Verhoeven
OHK_HV@HNYKUN51.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 09:48:35 -0400
From: abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: PC/VI input of box-drawing characters

I am having a problem with PC/VI by Custom Software (who I understand is
out of business).  When I try to read in a file which contains box drawing
characters from the extended character set, PC/VI complains about
non-ASCII characters and converts the box drawing characters to italic
letters.

Is there a way to retain these box drawing characters?

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   best e-mail address: abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 9:48:25 EDT
From: Eharris@alexandria-emh1.army.mil
Subject: Software interchange: IBM compat with AMSTRAD 9512

Does anyone know if it is possible to translate an IBM-type compatible
software program onto the plastic-encased disks that the AMSTRAD 9512
wordprocessor/computer uses?

I would like to copy programs such as WP50 from a TANDY SX1000 (20mg) with
hard disk to the AMSTRAD to enable comu between the two systems--they are
in different locations (c. 50 miles apart).

If anyone can give me information on the possibility, I would appreciate
it very much.  Thanks.

eharris@alexandria-emh1.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 18:10:04 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Text editor required

One such product the the Norton Programmers Editor (NE).  I have ver 1.3c
and like it quite a bit.  It's great for a quick and dirty edit.  However,
it can be used for larger jobs as well.  I use it to 'finish' the
Digest...

Memory requirements:  32k plus size of edited file.  (I've edited a
209K byte file with it...  (I REALLY don't have a larger file...  SORRY!)

Costs around $US 40-60 ...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 17:27:52 PDT
From: Don Reynolds <reynolds@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov>
Subject: Text search within ARChives

>  Are there any text search utilities (like the Norton Utilities (tm) TS
>program) that will search within archive-type files ....

Vernon Buerg wrote ARCF version 1.06 that does just that for ARC archives.
So far he has not written versions for ZIP, LZH, etc.  Perhaps after Phil
Katz releases PKZIP/PKUNZIP version 1.0 and the archiver of choice becomes
clear between LHARC and ZIP (or whatever), Vern will write a version for
it.  Meanwhile, if you have a RAMdisk, extracting to it should not be too
bad.

You should be able to get ARCF106.ARC from many BBSs.  I am sure it is on
the ones below (perhaps as ARCF106.LZH on S.P.A.C.E.).  This 1st BBS
listed below is in Mountain View, while the other three numbers reach Vern
directly in Petaluma.  Sorry I am not familiar with BBS's in Southern
California:

        S.P.A.C.E.      (415)964-9039
        MotherBoard     (707)778-8743
        MotherBoard     (707)778-8841
        VOR             (707)778-8944

Best,
Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 16:09 EDT
From: Boebert@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject: TOPS problem with PC Clone

I am running a PC clone with a TOPS FlashCard, TOPS/DOS 2.0, and NetPrint.
The card is attached to an AppleTalk network with Macs and a Laserprinter.
If I initiate a print to the Laserprinter when it is in use from one of
the Macs, the print never goes through; the file just stays on the top of
my print queue forever.  This happens irrespective of whether I initate
using the DOS PRINT command or out of Microsoft Word.  Anybody else have
this problem?  Anybody have a fix?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 18:00:48 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Updating ROM

If all you want to do is make the new keys visible to DOS/BIOS/et al, try
getting the program PD:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>F11F12.ASM from simtel20

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest

End of Info-IBMPC Digest