[comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest] INFO-IBMPC Digest V89 #72

INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (07/31/89)

INFO-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 30 Jul 89       Volume 89 : Issue  72

Today's Topics:
               3-Com to SMTP or VMS Mail gateway needed
                        3270 TE ON NOVELL 2.15
                            8087 in an AT?
               Adding a third drive to my XT clone....
Announcing Version 1.00 of OS/2 Kermit, with C-Language Source (2 msgs)
                          BCD library wanted
                      EXACT Scientific WP add-on
                        Flow Chart Generators
                Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
          Kermit Script to Map IBM-PC Keyboard for GNU EMACS
                   MCGA in GWBASIC, is it possible?
            New Release of C-Kermit Available for Testing
              Password protecting a hard disc partition
                              PFX to PS
                   Security software for hard disk
                     SIMM connectors for PS2/M70
                       Wanted: PD Typing Tutor

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 12:07:27 +0200
From: "Jesper L. Lauritsen" <jesper@diku.dk>
Subject: 3-Com to SMTP or VMS Mail gateway needed

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:
>we need to be able to send and receive VMS or TCP/IP SMTP mail
>on our 3-Com network.  All three are on the same ethernet.
Us too! please mail any info you get, thank you.

--Jesper

-------------------------
Jesper L. Lauritsen
Center for Applied Datalogy, U. of Copenhagen
ibtjll@vm.ibt.dk og jesper@diku.dk or bitnet: IBTJLL AT DKIBT

------------------------------

Date: 07/17/89 11:04:11 MEZ
From: <BD50180%DHHUNI4.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 3270 TE ON NOVELL 2.15

> "Gerhard A. Kainz" <C210370%AEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
> Subject: 3270 TE on Novell 2.15
>
>      We are running Novell 2.15 on Token Ring cabling. There is a IBM 3270
> Gateway on the same ring. The terminal emulation software we use is IBM
> 3270  V3.04.
>
>    When a workstation logs into the network (loads the ipx and net3
> shell) and uses the TE Software some Vectors get scrambled and the
> TE-software hangs after a few keystrokes. We found out that everything
> works fine if you load TE software first and log into the network using
> the alternate task, but you have to reboot when your hostsession is
> finished. Is there anyone who can give me a hint how I can use the network
> and have a hostsession simultaneously without having to reboot every time?
>
>    Another problem: It is not possible to use the Token Ring SNA Gateway
> across a Novel Bridge, especially workstations connected to an ethernet
> trunk do not have a possibility to get on the mainframe.

We are using Novell 2.12 on an ethernet Network. We used the IBM 3270
Terminal emulation Software for 3 month but we never get it working
in the Network. So we now using a 3270 Terminal Emulation Software from
"ATEMCO TRISYSTEM". This works fine in our network.

    Dipl. Inform. Wolfram Reinken
    Universit{t Hamburg, Arbeitsbereich f}r
    Betriebswirtschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
    Von-Melle-Park 5, D-2000 Hamburg 13
    E-Mail : <BITNET>  BD50180@DHHUNI4.BITNET
             <EUNET> REINKEN@INFOHH.RMI.DE.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 89 17:24:01 PDT
From: madler@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu (Mark Adler)
Subject: 8087 in an AT?

>> I have an AT clone running at 10Mhz, and I would like to install
>> a math coprocessor.  I have an 8087 math coprocessor that I
>> would like to use in this system.  My question is obvious:  Can
>> this be done?  I don't want to spend the money on an 80287
>> coprocessor since I have the 8087.

No.  The coprocessor interface for the 8086 and the 80286 are completely
and totally different.  You'll have to buy, steal, beg, or borrow an
80287.  And, it has to be capable of 6.7 MHz (2/3 of 10 MHz) operation,
so you'll need an 8 Mhz one to be safe.  (I have seen a 6 MHz one work
in a 10 MHz system, but why take chances?)

                                        Mark Adler
                                bitnet: madler@hamlet
                                arpa:   madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 13:14:03 EDT
From: DEEJ%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dj Merrill - work)
Subject: Adding a third drive to my XT clone....

I have been given an old, full-height IBM floppy drive and would like to
attach it to my XT clone externally.  My power supply has 4 outputs, so
that is not a problem.  The real problem is that the floppy controller
card that I am using is a combined multi-I/O card that has a serial port,
clock/calender, and game port built in, and it is a no-brand imported
board, and I have no paperwork on it.

I thought that I might be able to tap into the existing ribbon cable, run
a cable outside, and simply swap drive selects A and C or such, since
the drive selecting is done thru the twist-in-the-cable method, instead
of using the drive selects in the drive themselves.
I haven't had too much luck in doing this so far.

I was hoping that someone might have some suggestions on how I might get
this to work.

My computer system includes:
    -MicroSmart Smart Micro (PC/XT clone) w/ 640K
    -one 3.5 drive as drive A:
    -one 5.25 drive as drive B:
    -CGA
I was hoping to set the third drive as drive C:

Many thanks...

-Dj Merrill
DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET
DEEJ@MAINE.MAINE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 May 89 10:16 CST
From: "Chris Adie"@taegu-emh1.army.mil,
Subject: Announcing Version 1.00 of OS/2 Kermit, with C-Language Source

The first full release of C-Kermit for OS/2 is now available.  The version
number is 1.00, and it superseeds all version numbers of the form 1.0a, etc.
There are only (literally) one or two bug fixes since the last beta test
release (1.0p).  There are still a couple of unfixed bugs in the DIAL and
SCRIPT commands - probably associated with the code which emulates the Unix
alarm() function, which both commands use.

The sources are now also available.  There are three OS/2-specific sources:

  ckocon.c
  ckotio.c
  ckofio.c

The rest of the sources are the C-Kermit ck*.c and ck*.h files, with additions
controlled by "#ifdef OS2" directives.

Unfortunately, pressure of work means I'm currently unable to do much more
with OS/2 Kermit.  Any volunteers to carry the torch?  You'll need the
Microsoft OS/2 Software Developer's Kit.  The main requirement (apart from
fixing the problems mentioned above) seems to be for keyboard remapping
facilities.

Chris Adie
Edinburgh University Computing Service

[Ed. - Thanks to Chris for this long-awaited contribution!  Chris's OS/2
conditionals have been added to the ckc*.* and cku*.* files, and some attempt
has been made to add the new i/o buffering and file attribute functions to
Chris's code.  The results are all in the kermit/test directory in the ckc*.*,
cku*.*, and cko*.* files (and also in the T: KERMSRV area for BITNET).
Included is a ckoker.boo file, which can be unboo'd back into an .EXE file
using any of the msbpct.* programs from kermit/a.  This boo-file is based on
Chris's original submission, and not on the updated sources.  OS/2 users are
urged to get the sources and try to build the new version, make any necessary
corrections to the OS/2 specific files, and report the results back to
Info-Kermit.  Thanks!]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 11:52:28 EDT
From: Alfredo Delgado Garza <PA126318%TECMTYVM@icsa.rice.edu>
Subject: BCD library wanted

Hi networkers.

I want to know if there are a good library for doing BCD arithmetic
in C, with source code if possible.

Thank you

Alfredo Delgado-Garza
<PA126318@TECMTYVM.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: 16 July 1989 00:35:18 CDT
From: Charlie Smyth   <CSMYTH@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: EXACT Scientific WP add-on

Over 6 months ago I posted a note asking if anyone had had any luck
using the EXACT Word Processor add-on with any of the standard WP
packages for PCs.  There were no responses.

I have since put up version 3.1.4 of the package and have found it to
be unable to function properly using Word Perfect 5.0 (June 89 maint.
release) with either an Epson or HP Laser II printer.  There continue
to be problems with margins (top, bottom, left and right -- just
depends), overprinting, justification, escape codes, and proportional
spacing.  The proportional spacing problem really burns me as we paid
mucho bucks for an HP driver disk from EXACT and then the stupid
thing can't handle the K cartridge fonts that are recommended by them
in any sort of proportional fashion.

I now have upwards of 30 hours invested so I am no novice with the
package.  Anyone out there had any luck??? I am in the process of
exchanging faxes with EXACT's tech support.  However, I suspect that in
the end we will just send everything back for a refund.

Charlie Smyth                         CSMYTH@UIUCVMD.bitnet
Dept. of Statistics, UIUC             csmyth@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
101 Illini Hall
725 S. Wright Street,                 <appropriate cute message>
Champaign, IL   61820                 <    space for rent      >

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 14:37:06 EDT
From: Jeffrey Marans <JEFF@NRCVM01.bitnet>
Subject: Flow Chart Generators

Does anyone know of any programs that read source code and produce
flow chart pictures?  I've got to maintain large sections of other
people's FORTRAN, and pictoral flow charts might help cut through
the spagetti.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1989  23:38 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived
version of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a description.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMDISP.AWK is an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
     SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by taking the
     latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against a combined
     list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX,
     AAAREAD.ME (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS,
     SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index with dBASEIII),
     SIMIBM.HDR (PC-File+ database header), SIMIBM.INF (explains the
     fields in the index), SIMDISP.AWK. AND SIMDISP.DOC.

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month
     intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

        WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems
should be directed to ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 19:08:45 EDT
From: Andy Lowry <andy@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit Script to Map IBM-PC Keyboard for GNU EMACS

I noticed when I pulled the latest kermit release recently that there's a
script included that maps the IBM-PC keyboard to make ALT generate Meta
characters for use with GNU EMACS.  I've included a file that does that as
well as control-meta characters for the lowercase letters.  It maps a few
other keys as well...  check the comments for details.  If it seems useful,
please feel free to add it to the distribution.

[Ed. - It does, and we did, thanks!  It has been put with the other MS-DOS
Kermit files in the "A" area, as msiem2.ini.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 08:11 B
From: <CAT%HGRRUG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MCGA in GWBASIC, is it possible?

Does anyone know of a way to access the MCGA (320-200,256 colors) video mode
in GWBASIC 3.3 ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris A. Teuben
CAT@HGRRUG5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon Jun 19 16:52:29 1989
From: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: New Release of C-Kermit Available for Testing

This is to announce another test release of C-Kermit, 4F(085), to replace
the earlier test release 4F(077) that was announced on April 3, 1989.  This
version fixes several serious problems in 4F(077), namely:

  - Connect-mode craziness when when connecting back to a remote system after
    transferring a file.  Thanks to Frank Prindle for finding the fix for
    this.  The fix is only for BSD versions, other versions may still
    experience minor problems (a few glitch characters) under these
    circumstances -- if anybody can track down the problem and fix it, please
    do!

  - Protocol misnegotiations when C-Kermit is running in server mode, caused
    by a missing comment delimeter.  This caused all sorts of trouble, repeat
    counts and 8th-bit prefixes being accepted as data, etc.  Oops!

  - Hangup command, and ^\h connect-escape, fixed up so as not to leave lock
    files around (Patrick Wolfe).  Seems to work OK in BSD-based UNIX
    versions, untested in System III/V.

Besides these fixes, 4F(080) has several new features, including:

  - Further performance improvements, mostly from Paul Placeway of Ohio State
    University (of Macintosh Kermit fame), including "encode-ahead" and
    dynamic packet sizing (similar to Kermit-370).

  - Support for OS/2, contributed by Chris Adie of Edinburgh University in
    Scotland.  Unfortunately, Chris's work was based on release 4E(070) of
    C-Kermit, and so there had to be a lot of code-shuffling.  The result is
    entirely untested, which is one reason why this release is a test release
    rather than a real release.  See the separate announcement from Chris
    Adie.

  - A new 'transmit' command, for raw uploading.  As yet, not interruptible.

  - 'dial' command support for the Microcom ax9624 modem, from Jim Knutson.

  - Recognition of file-type attribute (text or binary) when receiving files.

  - Addition of file creation date to the attributes which C-Kermit sends.
    C-Kermit still does not do anything with dates on received files (tested
    in Berkeley versions, not tested in AT&T or other versions).

  - Support for tilde in file names in all interactive commands that parse
    input or output file names (SEND, RECEIVE, GET, DIRECTORY, LOG, CD, etc).

  - Support for tilde in file names sent to the C-Kermit server in GET,
    REMOTE DIRECTORY, and similar commands.

  - Support for 4.1BSD, Apple A/UX, NeXT, and RT PC AIX 2.2.1 added to
    makefile, and support for UNOS, Zilog/ZEUS fixed up (but not tested).

See the file ckuker.upd for details about the changes.

This release has been compiled and tested on a SUN-4/280 with SUNOS 4.0, a
VAX/8700 with Ultrix 2.0, and an Encore Multimax 310 with UMAX V 2.2.  It was
also briefly tested in the AT&T System V environment on the SUN, and seemed
to work OK.  Further testing is required on AT&T UNIX variants, Xenix, etc.

PLEASE report the results of your testing.  We need to know if this version
works on all the systems that the program tries to support before we can
make it an "official" release.

The new release is available via ftp from watsun.cc.columbia.edu, in the
directory kermit/test/ck*.  Also in the same directory on cunixc.

BITNET/EARN users may also access the test files in the new KERMSRV test area.
Refer to these files as T:CKU*.*, T:CKC*.*, T:CKW*.*, and (for OS/2) T:CKO*.*,
for example:

  TELL KERMSRV AT CUVMA MAIL DIR T:*.*
  TELL KERMSRV AT CUVMA SEND T:CKC*.*

Please get the files, try them out, and report any problems to me.  After the
kinks are worked out, version 4F will replace the current standard 4E release.

Note, there are also some ckv*.* files in kermit/test for the VAX/VMS version
of C-Kermit, but they are not totally up-to-date with this new test release.
Watch Info-Kermit for further announcements.

There are also some other C-Kermit systems that haven't been updated in a
long time, including the Amiga (cki*.*), Data General AOS/VS (ckd*.*), OS-9
(ck9*.*), etc.  Volunteers?

Thanks to the many people who tested 4F(077) and 4F(080) and sent in fixes and
suggestions, including (in no special order) Ge van Geldorp, John Evans, Mark
Buda, Martin MacLaren, Dave MacKenzie, Paul Placeway, Joe Doupnik, Chris Adie,
Frank Prindle, Gary Holbrook, Patrick Wolfe, and Jim Knutson, and apologies to
anyone I forgot to mention.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 11:45:24 SET
From: Karl Keyte <ESC1332%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Password protecting a hard disc partition

I'm looking for a way of password protecting a partition of a hard disc
while leaving another partition normal.  I have partitions C and D.  I
wish to leave partition 'C' open, but password protect the other.  I'm
sure there's software to do this.  I know it exists to password protect
the whole disc by hiding the partition table.  Does anyone have the
solution or know where I can find such a program?

Answer directly please - let's not trouble the editor futher!

Thanks in advance.

Karl

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 89 15:53:56 EDT
From: reilly@wharfrat.whoi.edu (Brendan Reilly)
Subject: PFX to PS

Word Perfect can in theory translate PFX to PostScript, but is
there a program in the public domain that does it?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 12:15 EST
From: <PLISHKA%SCRANTON.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Security software for hard disk

Our installation has several pc labs which are made available to all students.
Some labs are equipped with hard drives on each machine.  Needless to say, there
are all types of access problems encountered.  We have been evaluating one
software security system (Watchdog), but we are interested in alternative
packages. Can anyone provide further info/experience on other security software?

Thanks..

Rich Plishka
BITNET:PLISHKA@SCRANTON

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 12:04 EST
From: <PLISHKA%SCRANTON.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: SIMM connectors for PS2/M70

While installing some 2MB SIMMs on the motherboard of my PS2/Model 70, the
connecting clips on the SIMM sockets snapped.  Our hardware people told me we
have two options: replace the motherboard or replace the SIMM sockets.  The
cheaper and faster solution would be to replace the sockets; however, they are
unable to track down a source.  Their usual suppliers claim it's a proprietary
item and they can't get it.

HELP!!   Anyone out there know of a source??

Thanks in advance..

Rich Plishka
BITNET:PLISHKA@SCRANTON

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 12:38 EDT
From: <WHEELER%LEMOYNE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Wanted: PD Typing Tutor

Is there a reasonably useful and inexpensive typing tutor program
available?  I would like to install such a tool in a college
microcomputer laboratory for student and faculty use.  Cost is
an important factor, but it need not be free.
Dan Wheeler, Academic Support Specialist in Computer Science
Le Moyne College, Syracuse, NY  13214-1399
(315) 445-4582                        WHEELER@LEMOYNE.BITNET

End of INFO-IBMPC Digest V89 Issue #71