[comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest] INFO-IBMPC Digest V89 #73

INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (07/31/89)

INFO-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 31 Jul 89       Volume 89 : Issue  73

Today's Topics:
                        Bibliographic Utility
                           dBase III+ files
                   encryption chip; also, Q-16 U.G.
          Getting into and back from the 386 Protected Mode
                              IBM Digest
                Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #68
                          My RS-232 problem.
                       NEC replacement for 8086
                            OPUS BBS Info
               Recommendations on mailorder companies.
                      re dBase III format query
                            Re GIF headers
                 Request assistance with "Complete C"
             Support tracking and administration program.
                             Tax programs
                          TOPS and Desqview
      Turbo Pascal "misimplementations"  Also, RX-80 questions.
                            VIRUS KILLERS
                  Which CAD/drawing package to use?

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 17:43:22 IST
From: Itamar Even-Zohar <B10%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bibliographic Utility

Noshir Contractor (IBM PC-Digest Vol. 89 No 65) looks for
a bibliographic software package. I think Nota Bene's new
bibliographic utility may be what he is looking for.

Here are excerpts from *WINGS*, Spring/Summer 1989, about the new
bibliography program by Dragonfly Software:

NOTA BENE has always offered basic bibliographic management, but our
innovative program promises to open up a new world. Now you'll be
able to:

* Enter titles only once:
  Simply type in the author's last name and/or a short title, and a
  pop-up window presents possible matches that you've already
  entered. Select one of the existing titles or add an entry on the
  spot. You'll only have to type a full bibliographic reference once,
  no matter how many papers you write.

* Enter citations effortlessly
  Prompts tell you where to type the author, title, date and other
  relevant information. The program then arranges this data in the
  correct sequence. Worrying about capitalization, punctuation,
  abbreviations, and all those other details is a thing of the past:
  It's the program's task to provide the appropriate punctuation, to
  capitalize titles, and to convert page numbers.

* Format citations in a variety of styles
  Entries may be formatted according to APA, ASPA, Chicago A, Chicago
  B, MLA, and Turabian styles instead of just the form in which
  they're entered. With a few keystrokes, you can even *reformat* a
  bibliography entirely and *accurately* from one format to another.

* Take advantage of enhanced sorting possibilities
  In addition to alphabetization by author, date, or title, you can
  also sort significant works before short works, or singly-authored
  works before jointly-authored works, and all of these before
  translated or compiled works.

The new program

* Works from within Nota Bene
  Simply pop up a window and add, edit, or cite an entry.
* Enviable formatting capabilities
* Unmatched sophistication and accuracy
* Sophisticated multilingual support
  Rules, exceptions to rules, exceptions to exceptions, and more:
We've paid close attention to the minutiae of academic style sheets
so that you don't have to.
* Output is, as before, full ASCII files

Registered Nota Bene users can order this utility for 40% discount,
i.e., $99 instead of $165. (Competing packages cost as much as $495.)
(I don't know for how long this offer stands now -- I.E-Z.)

For more information write to
Dragonfly Software
285 West Broadway, Suite 600
New York, NY 10013-2204
(Phone: 212-334-0445)

Itamar Even-Zohar
Porter Institute
Tel Aviv University

For more information about Nota Bene order file NOATBENE DESCRIPTI
from the file server at Taunivm.Bitnet

TELL LISTSERV AT TAUNIVM GET NOTABENE DESCRIPTI NOTABENE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 14:59:48 CDT
From: Kevin Trojanowski <troj@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: dBase III+ files

In the back of one of the dBase manuals (Appendix C, I believe) is information
on the format of many of the dBase III+ files, including .dbf.

-Kevin Trojanowski
troj@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
trojpg@uiamvs.bitnet
trojanowski@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 14:00 EST
From: "There are conceptual relations, but never the truth."
Subject: encryption chip; also, Q-16 U.G.

Zilog makes a chip that does all the (old) MIL-STD data ciphering/decipher-
ing by itself.  The part number is Z8068 and Z9518; these two are identical
in operation.  Just minor differences in speed.  AMD second-sources the
devices with the same part number (well, Am9518 and AmZ8068).  Speed
is up to around 1MB per second (1.66M max-ish, I think).  AMD charges
around $50 for commercial and $150 for military parts.  Call 1-800-538-8450
for AMD's sales office/distributor near you.  Zilog's number is 1-408-370-
8000.  (AMD's CA number is 408-732-2400.)

As for QX-16 user's group, there is an "Epson user's group."  Their address
, I mean phone number, is 814-237-5511, between 4 and 7 pm, EST.

(I couldn't afford to join, but their newsletter seems nice, and has quite a
few things for the QX-16, too!)

                       Good luck!

                              John Shin

DISCLAIMER:  Affiliated with these people?  I WISH!!!  I could use some cash,
you know.  First thing, I can get a 2400-or-so-baud modem so that I can
to send this to everyone!  If you have an opening for a political economy
student in the last year of college, drop me a line:  I learn fast... :-)

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jul 89 01:10:11 GMT
From: ssc-vax!cardinal@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ralph Cardinal)
Subject: Getting into and back from the 386 Protected Mode

	We are trying to control a VMEbus via a 386 machine, and are
	having some problems regarding the software.  We are using a
	Bit-3 card for the communications between the two busses.
	The 386 machine is a Dolch 386.

	Now to the problem.  We must access the extended memory of
	the 386, since this is were the Bit-3 Communications card is
	mapped.  Is there an easy way to jump in and out of protected mode,
	from real mode.  Currently, we are having problems going into
	protected mode, without rebooting, and back into the real mode of
	the 386.  We are trying to use several examples in the Intel
	386 Programmer's Reference Manual, the only difference is
	that we do not want to have to reboot the machine every
	time.  Can anyone point us to a good source of information
	in using the protected mode of the 386 at this level, or
	even better, e-mail us some help.

				Thanks in advance,

				Ralph Cardinal and Murray Mar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 13:38:16 pdt
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: IBM Digest

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

>From: MLuma <RARCHI06%IMIPOLI.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Subject: HP <--> MS-DOS file transfer
>
>   I have two HP machines (a desktop mini, HP 9836, and a 320 series system).
>I need file exchange between these machine and my PC AT. The big one (320)
>has a serial port, so I'm going to write a program that reads the file and
>send it on that port to the PC. Is there something already done ? Someone
>has seen software that runs on PC and can read HP floppies ?
>
>                        Marco Lumachi

Kermit is available for the HP machines and the PC. It is what I
use when I have to do file transfers over a data line. It is
public domain from Colombia University in New York City.

For direct floppy transfers check with

    A Gentle Wind
    186 Partridge St
    Albany, NY 12203
    Phone 518-482-9023

or

    Oswego Software
    507 North Adams
    Oswego, Illinois   60543
    Phone 312-554-3567

I have NOT used any of these companies' products but I understand
they have disk transfer programs for HP to non-HP disk formats.

Danny Low.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1989  02:58 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived
version of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a description.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMDISP.AWK is an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
     SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by taking the
     latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against a combined
     list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX,
     AAAREAD.ME (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS,
     SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index with dBASEIII),
     SIMIBM.HDR (PC-File+ database header), and SIMIBM.INF (explains
     the fields in the index).

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month
     intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

        WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems
should be directed to ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 89 17:35:14 EDT
From: Jeff_MacKie-Mason@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #68

You asked if you could use your 8087 chip in an 80286 machine.
The short answer is "no", unless you have a very unusual 80286
machine.
The 80287 is  different size so even if you wanted to try you
won't be able to put your 8087 into the coprocessor slot, unless
your machine has an extra slot for the 8087.  I've never heard of
one that does, I think because the data path is a different width
and so you'd need some special kludging to make an 8087 communicate
properly with the 80286.  These are *co*processors--they work
intimately with the associated CPU.  Although the 80386 was designed
to handle either the 80287 or 80387, the same is not true for the
80286 CPU.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 23:08:12 DNT
From: Peter <NEUMHL%NEUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: My RS-232 problem.

Dear fellow Info-ibmpc users ....

As my mail for this list was about a month reaching its goal, i vent
for the "expensive" solution. I droped by the dealer again, and this
time i brought to total equiptment. What a load|

I then showed them my problem, and they, again, tested my total equiptment,
and, hurray||, found errors .... They changed some chips on the IO-card,
and told me, all was fine again .... BUT IT WASN'T |||

Then thing switched between on- and offline (the DSR signal vent crazy)
about 5 times pr. second, making my modem going bananos. I monitored
the RS-232 cable, and found everything OK ?? Then error still had to be
internal to the PC .... So i had to make the trip again to the dealer,
but then, only brought then IO-CARD.

I explained my problem again ... (was maybe a bit mad, as I had to
get it functioning to continue my job) and they gave up | They
handled over a complet new IO-CARD, with improved performance, and
now everything works .... |

I am not sure, what the problem was, but as Andr states, it could
have been a chip, but why didn't it work, when the RS-232 chips
where replaced ?? I don't know .... I just know, that all is
functioning today, and i'm happy that it is ...

Thanks for the responce ... I appriciate it |
- Peter Larsen.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 21 Jul 89 20:48:22
From: tweten@prandtl.NAS.NASA.GOV
Subject: NEC replacement for 8086

The NEC chip which replaces the 8086 is the V30.

I believe it is pin compatible with the 8086, but I don't know from
personal experience.  I replaced the 8088 in my Heath/Zenith-151 at
home with a V20 and experienced about a 20% speed improvement in the
sorts of things I do (text editing with MicroEmacs, Microsoft C
compilations, PC-File database stuff, etc.).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 14:02:56 CDT
From: I-Ming Tsai <TTSAI%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: OPUS BBS Info

    Hi, does anybody have spec on some of the data files that OPUS uses??
Specifically I would like to have the format to the *.BBS files, especially
LASTUSER.BBS and USER.BBS.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 89 20:10:00 EDT
From: TIMOTHY KUPP <KUPP12@UREGINAV.BITNET>
Subject: Recommendations on mailorder companies.

I am shopping around for an IBM compatible (8088 or 80286 with Herc or EGA
graphics and a 20 Mb Hard drive) and thinking of purchasing through
mailorder.  I would appreciate opinions (both positive and negative) on the
reliability, supportiveness, and general business attitude of several companies.

If any of you that subscribe to this list are living in Canada and have had
experience with American mail order companies, or can recommend some good
Canadian mailorder companies (thereby lowering shipping charges) I would
very much appreciate hearing from you.

List of companies (culled from the pages of Computer Shopper magazine):

   Micro Generation; New York, NY
   Express Micromart; West Bloomfield, MI and Houston Texas
   Micro Parts, Inc.; Ashland, MA
   Micro Smart Inc.; Ashland, MA
   Under-Ware Electronics; Wichita, KS
   Data Dynamics; Signal Hill, CA
   Tredex; Los Angeles, CA
   True Data Products; Uxbridge, MA
   JDR Microdevices; San Jose, CA

Disclaimers welcome.
Thanks for your help.

Timothy Kupp.

KUPPTW@UREGINA1 or
KUPP12@UREGINAV (Bitnet).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 12:09:07 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: re dBase III format query

| Can anyone tell me what the layout for a dBase III+ database (.DBF) file
| looks like.  I have figured out the field definitions, but the first 32
| bytes contain info like how many records, etc.  I would like to know the
| layout of this area,
|
| Thanks,
| Bruce Harrison

Bruce,
I snarfed this long ago .. can't even find the original file!
I have a bunch of Turbo Pascal (v3.0) code that deals directly with
dBase III .DBF files .. yell if you want it.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA
*********************

Database file structure

The structure of a dBASE III database file is composed of a header
and data records.  The layout is given below.

dBASE III DATABASE FILE HEADER:

+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  BYTE   |     CONTENTS      |          MEANING                |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  0      |  1 byte           | dBASE III version number        |
|         |                   |  (03H without a .DBT file)      |
|         |                   |  (83H with a .DBT file)         |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  1-3    |  3 bytes          | date of last update             |
|         |                   |  (YY MM DD) in binary format    |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  4-7    |  32 bit number    | number of records in data file  |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  8-9    |  16 bit number    | length of header structure      |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  10-11  |  16 bit number    | length of the record            |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  12-31  |  20 bytes         | reserved bytes (version 1.00)   |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  32-n   |  32 bytes each    | field descriptor array          |
|         |                   |  (see below)                    | --+
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+   |
|  n+1    |  1 byte           | 0DH as the field terminator     |   |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+   |

A FIELD DESCRIPTOR:      <------------------------------------------+

+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  BYTE   |     CONTENTS      |          MEANING                |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  0-10   |  11 bytes         | field name in ASCII zero-filled |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  11     |  1 byte           | field type in ASCII             |
|         |                   |  (C N L D or M)                 |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  12-15  |  32 bit number    | field data address              |
|         |                   |  (address is set in memory)     |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  16     |  1 byte           | field length in binary          |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  17     |  1 byte           | field decimal count in binary   |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+
|  18-31  |  14 bytes         | reserved bytes (version 1.00)   |
+---------+-------------------+---------------------------------+

The data records are layed out as follows:

     1. Data records are preceeded by one byte that is a space (20H) if the
        record is not deleted and an asterisk (2AH) if it is deleted.

     2. Data fields are packed into records with  no  field separators or
        record terminators.

     3. Data types are stored in ASCII format as follows:

     DATA TYPE      DATA RECORD STORAGE
     ---------      --------------------------------------------
     Character      (ASCII characters)
     Numeric        - . 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
     Logical        ? Y y N n T t F f  (? when not initialized)
     Memo           (10 digits representing a .DBT block number)
     Date           (8 digits in YYYYMMDD format, such as
                    19840704 for July 4, 1984)

------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 12:09:59 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Re GIF headers

Re: More GIFfer files

| Yes, these are Mac files, but with a binary editor of some sort you can
| quickly fix them to run on a PC.  It seems that a Mac file contains a
| header that gives various info to the operating system about the file's
| Icon and what programs use the file, etc.  This can be striped off.
| Looking at a normal PC Giffer file you will notice that the first few
| characters are "GIF87".  All you need to do is strip off everything before
| these characters in the mac files. ....
|
| If anyone has a better way of converting or stripping the headers off these
| files, let me know.  Also if you know of other sources of these files post
| notice of them.
|
|Rick Rohan

------------------------------

Rick,
Stripping headers from these GIF files should be trivial, if in fact the
header extends through and including a unique "GIF87".

I'm gonna snarf that PD3:<MACINTOSH.PICT>00README.TXT you referred to (to see
if it tells me any more about GIF file structure .. I know nuttin about them!)
and will be back on the net with a fast hack of a header stripper utility
if feasible.

Problems, of course: I am limited to Hercules monochrome graphics, never viewed
a GIF file in my life, etc.  Maybe it'll work, maybe I can test it, maybe not!

But .. watch this space!

(By the bye .. are others besides Rick Rohan interested in this?)

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jul 89 06:36:01 EDT (Tue)
From: upaya!tbetz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz)
Subject: Request assistance with "Complete C"

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I have downloaded the "Complete C" package from SIMTEL from pd:<pc-blue>
>volumes 532 and 533.

>The installation requires running of a program INSTALL.EXE which unpacks
>two files COMPC1.CCC and COMPC2.CCC.  when running the install I got the
>message "Invalid configuration data".  I tried changing drives and
>directories in the configuration data to no avail.  I also reordered the
>package (In case of transmission error) again to no avail.

Avi, I will forward your question to the Complete C BBS -
(212) 956-4535 - and will mail you any response I receive.

---
"There are no magicians. There are no hidden     |  rutgers!lilink!upaya!tbetz
 people or gurus somewhere in secret. You have   | Tom Betz, Greyston Foundation
 already been given the teaching by the greatest |       114 Woodworth Ave.
 illuminated sages born." - Gopi Krishna         |     Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 13:42:09 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Support tracking and administration program.

I am looking for software that will aid in the tracking of support calls
for micro hardware and software.  It would be good if the data could be
exported to Dbase and if the software gave a choice of being made resident.

Thanks in advance for your replies.  You can send your replies to me and I will
summarize for the list.

 Thanks.... Joel

I hope that my opinions are my own.....

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 11:48:40 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Tax programs

I'm looking for pointers to either PD (preferred) or commercial software
which will help me handle a major change in finances and employment
benefits (hey, I'm graduating). Specifically, there are two incomes
and 2 kids. Preschool/child care is getting expensive, there are several
payment options, and a number of contributory retirement plans. Without
going into details, I _don't_ need a tax program to fill out forms for me.

What I do need is something like a spreadsheet/macros which will let
me do what-if scenarios for different changes in income, expenditures,
tax-deferred investment vehicles, etc. Also, some help in calculating
correct with-holding for a 2 income family would be greatly appreciated.
So far I have managed adequately with rules-of-thumb and guesstimates.

But I'm beginning to get overwhelmed with the various interactions, and
flying by the seat of my pants to see what happens doesn't make me very
comfy. Money is likely to be tight for the near future, so I'm _not_
interested in hiring "professional" guidance. Just an inexpensive
spreadsheet to help me get a handle on the new situation. Or something
similar. _Then_ I can go for advice once I understand which questions
to ask.

MS-DOS or UNIX environment will be fine. Thanks,

paul

--
Internet:	pab@cs.cmu.edu		Bitnet:	pab%cs.cmu.edu%smtp@interbit
CSnet:	pab%cs.cmu.edu@relay.cs.net	Uucp:	...!seismo!cs.cmu.edu!pab

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 09:45:47 CDT
From: Chris Daft <CDAFT@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: TOPS and Desqview

Does anybody have any experience in making TOPS networking software run
under DESQview?   I can make all my other software, including comms
programs, multitask beautifully in a Tandy 4000 with 4Mb of memory, but
hangs.  Many thanks for any pointers to a solution!

*  Chris M.W. Daft                                    cdaft@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu *
*  Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering         Tel: 217/333-9573      *
*  University of Illinois                                  217/333-1640      *
*  1406 West Green Street                             Fax: 217/244-0105      *
*  Urbana, IL 61801                                                          *
Acknowledge-To: <CDAFT@UIUCVMD>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 14:32 EST
From: "Architecturally, Z-80 can be made to run at 100MHz!"
Subject: Turbo Pascal "misimplementations"  Also, RX-80 questions.

Okay....

After lengthy discussions on the issue with some people on the net, I
conceded that what I mentioned as "bugs" in Turbo Pascal are NOT really
bugs, but misimplementations, standard or otherwise.

    1)  EOF(input) is a boolean function, and therefore should return a
"false" value rather than waiting until something comes into the buffer
and turns out to be ^Z or something.  If this IS the way the standard is
ofrmulated, I'd call it "illogical."
    2)  Of course, it would slow down the process too much if there is a
conditional jump after EACH and every arithmetic operation, esp. because
the 8086 family is NOT exactly optimized for branching (my bias).  But,
I think it should at least be an option, especially for multiplying,
in which case it would add very little to the processing time (5%, maybe?).
The programs that ran into the overflows were actually NOT supposed to have
done it, but the overflow made me search in the wrong places.  An error
message would have been very helpful in locating the problem, and thereafter
I used "real" type for all possible arithmetic operations, which I bet slows
it down to an unmentionable degree, then gradually substituted integer
(most of my programs are/were math intensive and extensive).

NOW the real question; I have an Epson RX-80 printer which auto-inserts
LF for all CR input.  How can I turn this off?  The dip switches refused
to make a difference (besides double-width and such), so I need the control
codes.  Even if you don't have an RX-80, any Epson code would be helpful
(I tried one of the FX printers' code, and it didn't work.)

                          THANK YOU!!!

                                -John Shin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 11:55 EST
From: "SEAN L. HILL" <SHILL%HAMPVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: VIRUS KILLERS

I am in a bind with what may be a virus.  If anyone can send me information
about a virus killer, commercial or otherwise, I would be most grateful.

Please reply directly to me, unless the information is of general interest.

Thank you,

Sean Hill
SHILL@HAMPVMS.BITNET
Special Programs, Systems Manager.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 89 14:40:32 -0400
From: abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Which CAD/drawing package to use?

I am considering two CAD-type drawing packages and would greatly appreciate
hearing from anyone with experience on either.  I am planning to use
these in conjunction with NR, and would also like to hear from folks
who are using NR.

The packages are both shareware. PC KEY DRAW appears to be more
powerful; and the asking price is higher - $100.  The alternative is
PC Draft II, which goes for $50.  PC KEY DRAW appears to be more
powerful, but I may not need the power.  Also, its manual it somewhat
intimidating.

I am interested in producing line drawings, not unlike block diagrams
or engineering drawings.  I want to incorporate these in lecture
notes.

I am preparing the notes using the NR implementation of nroff by Allen
Holub, distributed by M&T Books.  I hope to use the .cf (copy file)
command in NR.  I say "hope" because it currently has a bug in it.  I
have contacted the author who has inserted my request on his stack.

Briefly, the cp command will copy a file directly to the printer
without interpretation.  If the file is a drawing created by one of
the packages above, I think I have found a way to include drawings
alonf with text.

I am already using EasyChart to produce rectangular drawings and
tables using the extended box-drawing characters.

I'd be happy to correspond with anyone trying to do similar things.

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   best e-mail address: abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org

End of INFO-IBMPC Digest V89 Issue #73