Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (08/01/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 31 Jul 89       Volume 89 : Issue  75

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                           ARCing subdirectories
                           dBase III+ Bug- Maybe
                            DeskJet fonts again
                       Reading EGA palette registers
                 Disable Cntrl-Break in Turbo Pascal V4.0
                      FINTUVM is NOT a TRICKLE Server
                      Giffer Files and Binary Editors
                           Adding a Third Drive
                            Monitor 'Shimmies'
                                 Long PATH
                          MS DOS and Cursor Size
                           TIFF and/or PCX code
Today's Queries:
                             ARCMaster (4.33)
                           dBase III+ Bug- Maybe
                        DBASE III Plus .DBF format
                     "Insufficient memory to run" Flag

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN). The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 89 13:55:16 edt
From: <KAHN@VOID.MCEO.DG.COM>
Subject: ARCing subdirectories

  From what I know of the current generation of packers, both PK's new
program will do subdirectories and so will ARC 6.0 (or was that 6.02?).  I
just got off of SEA's BBS and they have the new version there for d/l.
Unfortunately I dont have file transfer capabilities from my dumb tube.
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to pick up a copy and put it on
SIMTEL?!?

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed Jul 26 22:56:42 1989
From: tmoore@lognet2.af.mil (MSgt Terry Lee Moore)
Subject: dBase III+ Bug- Maybe

Rich,
  I couldn't duplicate your bug exactly here at home.  I did however
remember that dbase often does not update the file structure/dir info to
the disk until you do something outside of that file.  For instance, I use
the "use" command with no arguments to close a database file.  Then the
dir command looks OK.

  Quit is supposed to take care of file cleanup for you without additional
commands.  I have had my problems with files that I QUIT out of in
programs, etc.  So I slways use a close or a close databases before I
quit, especially if I have added or changed info in that session.  then I
call the QUIT command.  Works for me.

      Terry

------------------------------

Date: 25 JUL 89 09:56-MEZ
From: "Peter Maisel" <BTR414%DBTHRZ5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: DeskJet fonts again

I received
also a file called DJFONT.DOC with no sender and completely unreadable on
our system. So I have to ask the sender via list to resend the file
DJFONT.DOC, included in a mail-file or in NETDATA format.

Thanks in advance

      Peter Maisel
      BTR414@DBTHRZ5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 89 10:53:48 EDT
From: Jswartz@xls-plexus01.letterkenn-emh1.army.mil
Subject: Reading EGA palette registers

  Can anyone help me determine the current settings of the EGA palette
registers?

  The palette registers are write only, so I can't read there.  I've been
unsuccessful reading the Parameter Save Area in BIOS.  Either I'm doing
something wrong or the program displaying the EGA picture is not updating
the Save Pointer Table, the Parameter Save Area pointer is always zero.

  Any and all help will be appeciated, Thanks.
  jswartz@xls-plexus01.letterkenn-emh1.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 16:08:35 CDT
From: Brian Frost--AVS User Consultant <"THOR::BEFHELP"@venus.tamu.edu>
Subject: Disable Cntrl-Break in Turbo Pascal V4.0

Does any know how to disable the control break key sequence.  I do not
wish a user to break out of a program that I am working on.  The turbo
pascal book that I have now only tells how to do it in V3.0 even though it
is a V4.0 reference book.  Thanks in advance.

Brian Frost
Academic VAX User Consultant
BEFHELP@TAMVENUS    - Bitnet
BEFHELP@VENUS.TAMU.EDU    - Internet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 13:58:06 EET
From: Matti Aarnio  <LK-MATTI@MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI>
Subject: FINTUVM is NOT a TRICKLE Server

Dear User,

  Due to the fact that I get all mail files everyone sends to
TRICKLE@FINTUVM (aka TRICKLE@MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI), it seems appropriate to
remind you about the basic difference between my TRICKLE server and others
in EARN.

  My TRICKLE is direct descendant from code used in RPIECS  (with lots of
modifications), and the only common part with RED-Trickles is the NAME.

  Functionally MY SYSTEM uses LISTSERV as a command interface, thus to get
any orders, etc, send them to LISTSERV. (To get a list of commands, send
HELP to my LISTSERV) NEVER SEND ANYTHING TO TRICKLE IN THIS SYSTEM.

  Note that there are some service limitations:

  As WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL directories are served by RED-Trickles, my
server checks for a BITNET subscriber as a closest server, and if it isn't
mine, the request is rejected with a closer server proposed.

  If a request comes from UUCP, it is always rejected. Real domain ad-
dresses are acceptable only from Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.

  As this server is capable also of serving various other target systems
(UNIX) while none other is, those UNIX targets are reachable by everyone.
(Preferred archive sites are all in .FI domain, very near by and with very
fast connections.  For GNU material, see PREP.AI.MIT.EDU:)

  To get a list of targets, send a '/PDDIR' command to LISTSERV using
E-MAIL and standard LISTSERV methods.

  LISTSERV does the proper preprocessing on requests (finds out who or-
dered, checks quotas, checks validity of filenames, etc.) and queues them
to TRICKLE using special format used only between those two service sys-
tems.

  My TRICKLE then receives the request: If file is in cache, it is sent IM-
MEDIATELY.  Otherwise, it is queued for FTP.  This means using the TCP/IP
network to get a file from primary archive where ever it is, usually using
so called 'anonymous login'.

  Directory requests are entirely handled by LISTSERV.

  I hope this clarifies some misconceptions about my LISTSERV/TRICKLE ser-
ver.

         /Matti Aarnio

PS: PLEASE, don't ABUSE.  Each address is limited to 5 requests per day,
don't try to overcome that limit.  It may cause problems for yourself later
as files will not get delivered properly or somebody may ask you into
'black list'.  Each Site/gateway limit is 20 requests per day.  If your
server has domain address capabilities, use our domain address, not BITNET
address.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1989   10:10:51   CET
From: A0045%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Giffer Files and Binary Editors

These 128-byte headers, which you found at the beginning of MAC-files form
the SIMTEL20 archive, are known as *Mac Binary Headers* in the Macintosh
world and are a commonly used mechanism to preserve Macintosh file
attributes on file transfers through other systems.

With pure binary files like the GIF files you have indeed not more to do
than to strip the header off to use them on a PC.  There is also a PC
program in the SIMTEL20 archive which can add and delete as many Mac
Binary headers in a file as you like.  Look at <MSDOS.MAC>MACB10.ARC.

Btw, you mentioned you used Logitech's Point Editor as *binary* editor.
How did you do that? I cannot find any hint in the program or the
documentation how to accomplish such a task.

I ask this because I'm also looking for a *binary editor* for some time
without success. I don't mean a disk patch program like the ones in Norton
Utilities, PC-Tools and similar collections. These program can only change
bytes in a fixed file structure. What I mean is a program with which I can
do all the editing tasks in some representation of a binary file (e.g.
Hex), which are normally found in text editors like deleting and
inserting, search and replace and so on.  Does anybody know such a beast?

Jochen Roderburg
Regional Computing Center
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                Tel. :  +49-221/470-4564
D-5000 Koeln 41                    Email:  A0045 @ DK0RRZK0.BITNET (CDC)
West Germany                           or  A0045 @ DK0RRZK1.BITNET (IBM)

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jul 89 09:21:36 PDT (Tuesday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Adding a Third Drive

> DEEJ%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dj Merrill - work)

Some of this is experience,  some is conjecture...I haven't mixed 3 1/2"
drives with 5 1/4" drives,  but I have used the expander cards.

 Two possibilities:  The XT normally will  allow 4 floppies;  there is a
switch on the motherboard to let it how many are installed.  So set the
motherboard switches according to the manual.   The motherboard determines
which comes up as which letter.   The controller may or may not support 4;
some support 2 only.

a)  Assuming the controller supports 4 drives (most likely), rig the
ribbon cable with three connectors (the first two drives are configured as
the second drive, the twist selects one of them as drive 1.  The third
drive would be configured as the third drive with no alteration to the
straight - in cable.  Check the termination resistors on the 5 1/4" drives
such that only the one at the end of the cable is used.  The 3 1/2" drive
uses a simpler pull-up,  leave it in place.

b)  Assuming the controller supports only 2 drives, you will need a floppy
port expander card.  It will allow a second ribbon cable at the back panel
which will support the added drive.  The floppy port expander board is
available for applications like tape drives; I'd guess most computer
stores can sell you one, or distributors for tape drives using the floppy
interface also sell them.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 89 17:25:00 PDT (Monday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Monitor 'Shimmies'

Shimmy in a tube type monitor is usually caused by AC leaking into the
monitor from an adjacent transformer.   I'd suggest trying to isolate or
shield the screen and/or video board and cable from any power supply
nearby.   If it is an external AC,  a little distance works wonders.

------------------------------

Date: 23 July 1989 21:12:59 CDT
From: "Toni Holcman " <U27490@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Long PATH

> I seem to remember a discussion on this forum a couple of months ago
about
> how to have a real long PATH defined. I didn't think I'd need it at that
> time, but now I do| I apologize for the iteration, but I'd really
> appreciate if someone could send me an explanation on how to get a PATH
> variable longer than one command line.

I assume you're speaking of the PATH command of DOS, in which case you can
issue two path commands with the second containing the path information of
the first in the variable  %path% . In other words you need something
like:

        path=c:\;c:\dos;c:\comm;
        path=%path%c:\turbo

This will append the new search path  c:\turbo  to the current path
c:\;c:\dos;c:\comm  specified previously.

Toni Holcman
Micro Repairs University of Illinois at Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 89 01:53:00 EDT
From: TSENG@UWPG02.BITNET
Subject: MS DOS and Cursor Size

     Can someone tell me that if I can use MS-DOS to reset the cursor
size?  So I can display the characters in different size on the screen.

                                                Thanks

University of Winnipeg
Manitoba,  Canada
User ====>  Tseng@uwpg02.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1989   10:09:30   CET
From: A0045%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: TIFF and/or PCX code

Some information and programs for PCX files just appeared in the August
issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal, and the accompaniing sources are already in
the SIMTEL20 archive under <MSDOS.DDJMAG>DDJ0889.ARC.

A program which reads TIFF files (and produces Sun raster files, but can
certainly used to produce other output, too) is in the UNIX department of
SIMTEL20 under <UNIX-C.GRAPHICS>TIFF2RAST.TAR-Z.

Date: 25 Jul 89 11:19:51 PDT (Tuesday)
From: "Mike_Beezley.Houston"@Xerox.COM
Subject: ARCMaster (4.33)

Has anyone else run into a problem with this version of AM?  This is one
of my subdirectory paths (C:\telecomm\qmodem\download\script) if I invoke
AM43 and try to show the directory tree (F5) it does not even know that
that path exists.  Does anyone know if ARCMaster will not show
subdirectories that go N levels deep?  Guess its time to whip out the
Shareware fee and stimulate the author of this nice little utility.

__mike

------------------------------

Date: Wed Jul 26 18:24:20 1989
From: gautier@lognet2.af.mil (SrA Richard A. Gautier)

   I have noticed a problem that I seem to keep having with dBase III+.
The problem may be a bug, or I may just not know how to do something.
First, the circumstances.

1. I downloaded SIMIBM.IDX which is a comma-delimited file of the MS-DOS
directories of Simtel-20.

2. I CREATEd a STRUCTURE in dBase III+ based on the statistics given with
the file.  I believe they were 4,20,12,2,6,1,6,46.

3. I APPENDed FROM SIMIBM.IDX DELIMITED to read in the records.  At this
point, everything seemed to be going just fine.  It read in over 3000
records, and I could BROWSE through them without any problems whatsoever.

4. Then I decided to do a DIR, and I noticed that the file SIM-IBM.DBF,
which is the name of the file I created, and was browsing through was only
about 2K in size (The size of a DOS initialized file before it has been
closed).

5. So, in order to close the file, I did a QUIT to exit dBASE, and then
re-entered it, only to find that SIM-IBM.DBF has stayed the same size, and
I had a corrupted database (i.e. You go to BROWSE, and it bypasses about 7
records, and freezes on the Add New Records (Y/N)? Statement)

The only way that I could fix this, was to do my APPEND statement, and
then either COPY or SORT the data to another file (which closes both this
file and the other file as far as DOS is concerned.)

I loaded it to my hard drive.  It does the same thing on a Z-184 with the
same stats.

Does anyone recognize the problem?  Know how to solve it?

Richard A. Gautier, SrA, USAF...Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea

[This has been forwarded to Keith for comment.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 13:07:00 LCL
From: Sedat ALIS <SEDAT%TRYILDIZ.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: DBASE III Plus .DBF format

How can I find the format of .DBF files of DBASE III Plus?  Thank you.

Sedat ALIS
YILDIZ University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 89 13:46:37 EDT
From: kobus@NADC.ARPA (D. Kobus)
Subject: "Insufficient memory to run" Flag

If I may, a rudimentary question concerning memory allocation. Sometimes
when I run a program (e.g. Microsoft Word), then exit and try to run
another program (e.g. Harvard Graphics), I encounter the this flag. Just
exactly what type of memory am I exceeding and is there any way to inspect
the contents of and/or clear this memory without rebooting before I
proceed to another program? I'm on a Zenith Z-248 using DOS 3.2.

Dave Kobus
Naval Air Development Center

End of Info-IBMPC Digest