Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Info-IBMPC Digest) (08/25/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 24 Aug 89       Volume 89 : Issue  78

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Ventura California <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                      A simple MIDI PC interface
              Device Driver to Fill up Conventional RAM
                   File Cabinet Management Software
                         IBM PC Junior Parts
                      Converting DBase III Files
                     3270 Emulation on Novell 2.15
                        Leading edge clock/cal
                         Modified PS Drivers
                    New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20
           Problem with PS/2 mouse, Sidekick and other TSR
                    RGB to NTSC Conversion - HELP
                            RLL Contorler
              screen problems with TP and ATI-EGA-Wonder
                          Security Software
                   COM1 redirect or COM2 capture

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 10:21:38 ITA
From: MLuma <RARCHI06%IMIPOLI.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: A simple MIDI PC interface

   A friend of mine gave me a photocopy of an article on a local magazine
about a PC interface for the MIDI protocol. The article suggests a total
price of $ 5 (!) for the interface. My friend ask me to build that
marvellous link ....

   Now I'm going on holidays, so I put the photocopy away, on the deck of
"to do" things. Here follows the text and the (small) source.  The
original is in Italian and appeared on "Fare Elettronica" n49/50,
Jackson Editore. It seems to me not a good magazine, but my standard was
Elektor, and nothing else has its (high) level.

This material IT IS NOT TESTED by me, so I do not endorse it.

#include <disclaim.h>

   MIDI is an asyncronous protocol with 1 start bit, 8 bit data, 1 stop
bit and no parity, at 31250 baud speed.

   The interface uses a modified COM2 (because the need of a high priority
interrupt). You must change the crystal with a 2 MHz and solder four wire
on some pins of the 8250 IC to skip the RS232 signal level amplifier
(1488/1489 or 71150/75154). Here the drawing:

              13+---+12      11+---+10       4700
8250.11 o->-----: A :O----+----: B :O---------www-----o din.5 \
                +---+     :    +---+                           : MIDI OUT
                          :            +5V o--www-----o din.4 /
                          :                    22
                          :
            + 5V          :   9+---+8    330   LED
             o            +----: C :O----www----:<----o +5V
             :                 +---+
             z 4700
             :            2+---+1         1000
8250.10 o-<--+------------O: D :----+-----www----o +5V
                           +---+    :                     22
                                    :           +----+---www---+
            LED    330    4+---+3   :    .......:..  :         :
   + 5V o---->:----www----O: E :----+-----\:    : .  :         o din.4
                           +---+         . :--  V .  :           MIDI
                                         ./:    : .  A 1n4148     IN
                                         .:.....:..  :         o din.5
                                          :     :    :         :
                                          o     +----+---------+
                                         0 V

   -the connections to the 8250 are in the form 8250.pin
   -the A..E ports are from a TTL 7407 (the O is the out)
   -all resistor are 1/4 Watt
   -the photocoupler is TIL 111. His emitter is tied to 0 V and the
    internal LED is connected with the 'line' (I always confuse cathode
    and anode) to din.5. The 1n4148 is connected with the 'line' up, to
    din.4 (is purpose is to protect the internal photocoupler's led)
   -put a 100 microF 16V and a keramik 100 nanoF capacitors between
    +5V and 0V lines.

   (This drawing is made with VM/SP CMS 'hand' CAD program)

   Here are the programs (sorry for choose BASIC, but the magazine editor
seems not to known anything else).

   5 '
  10 ' reads data from the port and put it on the screen
  15 '
  18 gosub 1000 ' set com port
  20 if loc(1)=0 then goto 20 ' wait for input
  30 a$ = input$ (1, #1)
  40 a = asc (a$)
  50 if a > 127 and a < 240 then print else print "," ' function code
  60 if a >= 240 then color 0, 7 ' tempo code
  70 print hex$ (a)
  80 color 7, 0
  90 goto 20
 100 close: end
 999 '
1000 ' com2 port setup
1001 '
1010 open "com2:9600,n,8,1" as #1
1020 out &h3fb, 128 + inp (&h3fb) ' set DLAB bit
1030 out &h3f8, 4 ' speed selection
1040 out &h3f9, 0
1050 out &h3fb, inp (&h3fb) - 128 ' reset DLAB bit
1060 return

   4 '
   5 ' interface test. Connect midi_in with midi_out
   6 '
  10 gosub 1000 ' set port, as first listing
  15 for i%=1 to 10
  20 print#1,"this is a sample"
  25 input#1, a$
  30 print a$
  40 next i%
  45 close: end

   4 '
   5 ' plays a scale on everything connected to midi out
   6 '
  10 gosub 1000 ' set port, as first listing
  15 speed$ = chr$(127): note.off$ = chr$(0): note.len = 200: sil.len = 1
  20 print#1, chr$(144); ' channel 1
  25 restore: read nbre: note = 0
  30 b$ = inkey$: if b$ = " " then goto 999
  40 read note.on: note = note + 1
  50 n$ = chr$(note.on)
  60 print#1,n$;note.off$;
  70 for i=0 to note.len: next i
  80 print#1,n$;note.off$;
  90 for i=0 to sil.len: next i
 100 if note < nbre then goto 30 else goto 25
 200 data 16,62,64,65,67,69,71,72,72,71,69,67,65,64,62,60
 999 close: end

   BASIC is not my language (I spell pascal, c and the marvellous
assembly): I copied the listing as better I can do. Be careful with the
";" after some print#1 statements (I discover them two minutes before
sending this mail).

   I'll work to this little interface next september. If someone wants to
do some try, I'll like to have a check from him/her about the results.

   Have a nice hacking (and relaxing) time !

                             Marco Lumachi
Acknowledge-To: <RARCHI06@IMIPOLI>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 89 07:55+0200
From: Marx%DMZRZU71.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Device Driver to Fill Up Conventional RAM

I'm having a problem configuring my computer (COMMODORE PC 60-40, 386-CPU,
512k RAM on board, 2Mb RAM on card) under using with the
TURBO-PASCAL-DEBUGGER (386-version TD386).

In normal use I run the Commodore software CTRL386 I got with my machine
which fills up the conventional memory to 640k and let use the rest as EMS
or extended as I want to do it. The problem is now that the program
CTRL386 switches the computer in the protected mode and the debugger TD386
will do the same which conflicts.

So for using with the debugger I cannot use CTRL386 and so I only have
512k conventional RAM and 2Mb extended RAM.

The thing I need is a device driver which allows to fill up my
conventional RAM to 640k (from the 2Mb) and use the rest as extended
memory.

Does anybody know where I can get such a device driver ?

Any information will be appreciated.

My mail-address:  Marx -at DMZRZU71.BITNET

-Achim Marx-

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 14:17:44 EST
From: Howie Richburg <RICHBUHJ%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: File Cabinet Management Software

I have a "user" who is looking for a software product which will assist
him to manage the paper files contained in his filing cabinets.  One
problem is finding things and the other is the volume created by making
many copies because you are unsure under which topic it should be filed.

One feature would allow him to track what cabinet and folder a document is
filed.  Access could be accomplished via a text search capability.
Unfortunately anything filed which wasn't created electronically would
require some level of data entry.

Secondly, what he would like to do is reduce the number of copies in his
cabinets by eliminating duplicate copies which are required in order to
cross file a document.  This could allow him to electronically cross
reference the document with only one copy physically in his cabinet.

If anyone has heard of such a product which might address his needs, he
would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 14:15:04 EST
From: Howie Richburg <RICHBUHJ%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: IBM PC Junior Parts

I was approached today by a coworker who still owns an IBM PC Junior.  He
is looking for a source of IBM PC JR parts namely memory expansion.  Does
anyone know of any vendors who are still selling Junior memory components?

  Names and Addresses along with phone numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 23:07 CDT
From: Jerry Katz at Saint Louis University <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@icsa.rice.edu>
Subject: Converting Dbase III Files

I am looking for a program which converts dBase III files into either
comma-delimited files,  or ideally into Word Perfect secondary merge
files.  A lot of WordPerfect users have data in programs (PC-Tools in my
case)  which uses the dBase format,  but lacks dBase's ability to write
the file out in comma delimited or other formats.  Ideally,  the program
would be public domain or (hopefully) inexpensive shareware.  It really
should have been put into WordPerfect's covert program,  but you can't
have everything - if you did,  what would they do for an encore?

[Have you tried the Dbase III command that does that for you?  Syntax is
(I THINK!) "COPY TO <file-name> DELIMITED <delimiter>"...  For example:
"COPY TO WP-FILE DELIMITED ;"  This SHOULD make a text file of the form:
;field one of record one;,;field two of record one;,;field three of
record...

Might be able to do what you want it to do.  if you change the <delimiter>
to something else, you might get what you want...  gph.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 3 Aug 89 08:27:25-EDT
From: Norm Schneidewind <NSCHNEIDEWIND@A.ISI.EDU>
Subject: 3270 Emulation on Novell 2.15

Gerhard A. Kainz writes about loading problems with Token-Ring and 3270
Emulation in V89, Issue #71.

We have 3270 Emulation, V3.03, on IBM Token-Ring, using IBM PC Lan V1.1,
and the Gateway Option, rather than what Gerhard has, but we found the
following works:

o TOKREUI is loaded first
o followed by NETBEUI
o followed by PC Lan
o followed by 3270 Emulation
It is important to load the token-ring programs (TOKREUI and NETBEUI) first.

Prof. Norm Schneidewind
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
nschneidewind@a.isi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 00:28:15 EDT
From: limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli)
Subject: Leading edge clock/cal

> IBM DOS 3.2 cannot find the Leading Edge's clock or calendar.

When Leading Edge ships MS-DOS 2.x, it was modified to read the clock.  To
become completely compatible (What?  *ADD* something to MS-DOS and risk
compatibility?  Heaven's NO!) they removed the modification and required
people to put the following line in CONFIG.SYS:

  DEVICE=CLOCK.SYS

The file "clock.sys" can be found on the L.E. BBS, on a MS-DOS 3.x disk
that was shipped by Leading Edge, or by stopping at a L.E. dealer and
asking (some will charge you for the price of the disk + a couple bucks).
Of course, you can also call Leading Edge (contrary to rumor, they are NOT
out of business) and purchase the latest version of DOS.  (I always feel
better running MS-DOS shipped from the manufacturer...)

-Tom

 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 16:18:20 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Modified PS Drivers

I am working on modified PostScript printer drivers for WordPerfect 5.0
and Microsoft Word 4.0 and 5.0 that will emulate a common dot matrix
printer as much as possible.

So far I have been able to get WordPerfect 5.0 to produce 5,6,10,12,15 and
17 cpi Courier with a constant height and line spacing of 6 or 8 lines per
inch (just like a DMP).  However, I have not been able to get WP to
support a downloadable IBM extended PostScript font that came with TOPS
NetPrint.  I had no problem getting Word to use this font, but when I
print a document from WP using this font, I get a PostScript error
(unrecognized command I think).  Adding a new font into the WP PS printer
driver looks pretty obvious (make a new font based on Courier, give it a
new name, enter the PS name, (IBMextended in this case), and so on), but
it just refuses to work.  Help from anyone who has added a new font to the
Apple LaserWriter Plus driver would be appreciated.

With Word 4.0 (I haven't worked on 5.0 yet), the problem I'm having is
finding a way to get 5,6,10,12,15 and 17 cpi font sizes without getting
taller characters.  There seems to be no place in the PRD to specify
height and width independently.  I think the POSTSCRP.INI file must be
modified in some way, but I don't know enough about PostScript to know
how.  Any help on this would also be mucho appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1989  22:58 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri 4 Aug 89 07:00:01-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Problem with PS/2 mouse, Sidekick and other TSR

I got a problem with Sidekick and another TSR that causes the PS/2 mouse
to do strange things when its used in conjunction with the shift keys.
Whenever the shift keys are used with the mouse in a program like GEM to
select more than one object, the mouse quickly moves to the top (or in
some instances the right side) of the screen and is trapped there and will
only move from side to side (to move it side to side, you have to move the
mouse up and down).  A succession of shift and mouse buttons will
sometimes return it to normal.

This problem occurs only when Sidekick and the other TSR are loaded
together.  It does not occur when they are loaded separately. The other
TSR is a program of my own making, but aspects of it's TSR ability were
modeled after a PC Magazine TSR (Setup2 to be exact).

I have tried other mouse drivers with no success.  This problem also does
not seem to occur with other AT or XT class machines that have different
types of mice (PC Mouse).  It only occurs on a PS/2.

Has anyone else had such a problem with the PS/2 mouse.  Are there ways to
write TSR's so that they do not interact with Sidekick in this way.  (I
plan to try Sidekick Plus that I have at home to see if that eliminates
the problem.  They say its better behaved?)

Boy, did IBM ever PS/2'ed it to me! (only kidding)
Rick Rohan
Lockheed @ NASA/JSC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 14:57 EST
From: "Chuck Bennett" <UCHUCK%UNC.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: RGB to NTSC Conversion - HELP

Our TV Department has been requested to make a videotape production
incorporating computer generated graphics/animation.  They need to be able
to convert EGA, maybe VGA and probably eventually super-VGA to NTSC,
RS-170A signals.  In addition they require that the NTSC signal be
Gen-lockable from an external composite sync and that it be "timeable" to
production video switchers.

I believe that I have seen discussions in these forums regarding this kind
of capability either using the output of a standard EGA or VGA card or a
specialized card specifically for this purpose.  We have at our disposal
IBM PC's, AT's , PS/2 Mdl 50's and PS/2 Mdl 60's.  We can, if necessary,
obtain most any other PC-clone or other models of PS/2's.

My request is that anyone with experience and/or knowledge PLEASE e-mail
me information regarding this subject.  I need make, model, cost,
addresses, anecdotal accounts, etc.  I WILL summarize the responses and
either post or e-mail back to the respondents said summary.

One more thing - they have been requested to have this production
COMPLETED for use in a medical school class by NOVEMBER 1, 1989.  PLEASE
HURRY if you have any information.

Chuck Bennett - Medical CAI, UNC School of Medicine
e-mail (any): uchuck@unc.bitnet
              uchuck@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
              uchuck@med.unc.edu
              uchuck@uncvx1.acs.unc.edu
Phone: 919-966-1134

------------------------------

Date: 3 Aug 89 06:57:00 GMT-15:00
From: "DSC T. DEJANE" <motu_7a@wmms-srf-yoko.arpa>
Subject: RLL Contorler

I Think I already answered this but here goes again.

>Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 13:14:03 EDT
>From: DEEJ%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Dj Merrill - work)
>Subject: Adding a third drive to my XT clone....

>I have been given an old, full-height IBM floppy drive and would like to
>attach it to my XT clone externally.  My power supply has 4 outputs, so
>that is not a problem.  The real problem is that the floppy controller
>card that I am using is a combined multi-I/O card that has a serial port,
>clock/calender, and game port built in, and it is a no-brand imported
>board, and I have no paperwork on it.

>-Dj Merrill
>DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET
>DEEJ@MAINE.MAINE.EDU

  Unless you have a special controller you can only control two floppys on
an XT.  On an AT the controller handles 2 floppies and 2 Hard disks.

T.D. DeJane DSC
motu_7a@wmms-srf-yoko.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 11:12+0200
From: Marx%DMZRZU71.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: screen problems with TP and ATI-EGA-Wonder

With the following initialization my AT-clone runs very fine under TURBO
PASCAL (4.0-5.0) and the ATI-EGA-wonder-card:

      GraphDriver := EGA;
      GraphMode   := EGAhi;
      InitGraph (GraphDriver, GraphMode, '');

Initialization with "GraphDriver:=detect;" failed.

I hope this helps.
-Achim Marx-
<Marx -at DMZRZU71.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 13:19:00 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Security Software

After looking at Protec and Integrity, we've decided to purchase a site
license for Integrity. There is another program called Certus from
FoundationWare that I've seen, but not tested.

We decided on Integrity, once they had added enough features to put it at
least on par with Protec. Their price and willingness to negotiate a site
license was an even bigger factor. In Canada, Protec is about $300 and
maybe $200 bought in quantity, but Integrity is a about $100 or even less
when bought in quantity. The latest version of Integrity is very good.

However I still don't like the fact that to get good security on a PC you
have to be in some menu system. I would like to see Microsoft build proper
security right into the operating system that the user has a choice to
install (because it's bound to chew up some memory). Then maybe we could
have password protection at the disk, directory, and file level as well as
software theft protection (ie. no copying of applications from HD allowed)
at the *DOS command line level*.

(Note - Protec's "nocopy" protection is pathetically simple to defeat.
        Please don't send me mail asking how to do it though.)

Sure, anything that can be done in software can be undone by very
experienced bit twiddlers, but I think a *lot* of people (esp. educational
institutions) would benefit greatly by good, cheap security that stops the
average user.  The software industry may even benefit from reduced
software piracy.

Integrity is from:

Hyper Technologies
211-3030 Lincoln Ave.
Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
V3B 6B4
(604) 464-8680
(604) 464-4122 FAX

Please contact them, not me, for further information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  3 Aug 89 17:33:36 BST
From: Peter D Francis <CHI018%ibm.southampton.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: COM1 redirect or COM2 capture

I have a user who needs to redirect the output of COM1 to a disk file.
The programme is a commercial one and as yet I have no idea whether it
uses the BIOS routines or not.  One way I know is to connect COM1 to COM2
externally and capture the incoming data to disk.  Does anyone know of a
_small_ PD TSR package that will do this.  Preferably, it should be
possible to change capture files without coming out of the commercial
package.

All help will be gratefully received.

Peter Francis.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest