Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (09/19/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 18 Sep 89       Volume 89 : Issue  80

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                     Windows Development and Fortran
             Software for stagelighting and design software
                        RLL and ADRT controllers
              New alternatives to Intel math coprocessors?
                       NETBIOS to make my own LAN
                             GKS Libraries
                            Re: Cursor size
                    Checking a 8087 Math Processor
                        'Cleaning' a Hard-Drive

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 89 11:54:27 CDT
From:         Geraldo Xexeo & Guilherme Travassos <COS20001@UFRJ.bitnet>
Subject:      Windows Development and Fortran

  We are developing a new application using the Windows Environment, but
we would like to use a full database service written in FORTRAN (Arghs! We
must do it...).

  We tried by 2 months, it was very difficult to link because the FORTRAN
code has lots of COMMONS (Arghs 2... The Mission).

  Now, we managed to link and load the modules, but Windows freezes with
it.

  Well, if you know Windows, you know our troubles...

Waiting for Netland Help!

Guilherme & Xexeo

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 12:17:23 CDT
From:         Kumar Sridhar <R2NRS@AKRONVM.bitnet>
Subject:      Software for stagelighting and design software

Hello.

Has anyone ever heard of any software that does stagelighting and design
simulation?

  I would like to know whom to contact to design a package for stage
lighting design simulation, as a part of my thesis.  Your help in this
regard would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know which
language to use in order to design such a package for IBM-PC's.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar Sridhar (R2NRS@AKRONVM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 89 00:22:06 EDT
From:     <HGOLDSTE@UDCVAX.bitnet>
Subject:  RLL and ADRT controllers

I am seeking comments on the use of a seagate 4096 with an RLL controller
... even though this drive is not certified as an RLL i know that it does
work with an RLL controller but there is some question as to reliability
and as to OS/2 compatribility ... any comments from experienced soles?

I have a similar question concerning the use of the new ADRT controllers
from Perstor with ANY disk ... they claim a 90% increase in capacity with
9mbit/second data transfer rate ...  any users?

Harold Goldstein
METS Fan/Strawberry hater

University of the District of Columbia
JNET%"HGOLDSTE@UDCVAX"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 09:21:11 EDT
From:    "Michael G Young" <MYOUNG@UNC.bitnet>
Subject: New alternatives to Intel math coprocessors?

Greetings,
     Can anyone tell me if the new IIT-3C87 math coprocessor chips are
commercially available yet?

     According to blurbs I've seen in a couple of computer magazines these
chips are supposed to be plug and code compatable with the standard Intel
80387 but are considerably faster, for the same price.  (They also have a
model that replaces the Intel 80287).  I have not seen these chips
advertised and have seen no hands-on reviews of them.  All the info seems
to be comming from company press releases.  Has anyone out there seen one,
or are they still "vaporware"?

     My interest stems from having recently purchased a copy of DesignCAD
3D to play with in my spare time.  Its a wonderful program, but like all
CAD software its slow even on a 20 Mhz 386 if you do not have a
coprocessor.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mike Young, <MYOUNG@UNC.BITNET>, Physiology Dept., UNC
Chapel Hill.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 89 20:13:49 EST
From:   "Henry G. Juengst" <SYSTEM@DBNPIB5.bitnet>
Subject: NETBIOS to make my own LAN

I need your help. I want to make a LAN for 3 (and more !!!) IBM PC in our
union/observatory. First, I think it's a good idea to start with a
modified RS-232. Later, I will use a selfmade highspeed serial interface
with own Z-80 CPU. I don't need a better KERMIT ! I want to use the
harddisk from PC #1 on any other PC #x like a normal disk (I mean a real
network).

I think, I only have to write my own NETBIOS. Is that right ???
(Assembler, C, Pascal and many other languages are no problem !)

But I didn't find any source and/or documentation about problems like
this.  The only things I found were 1000 and 1 net-monitors, uff.

WHERE CAN I FIND SOURCE AND DOCUMENTATION ABOUT "NETBIOS" ?

Please send everything you've got about this problem directly to me,
because I've got not enough time to examine every new info (poor physics
student).

When the LAN is finished, I can send the results to public, if you want.

Henry G. Juengst

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 16:01:03 EST
From: Marc Heinrich Prosenc <CHSTUD5@DKNKURZ1.bitnet>
Subject: GKS Libraries

Has anyone experience with an GKS-library on IBM-PC's.  Or do other
Libraries exist with complex graphic functions like write 3D or write
shadowed and so on.

CHSTUD5 at DKNKURZ1
Marc Prosenc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 12:28:36 EDT
From: Manjit Trehan <ITMS400@INDYCMS.bitnet>
Subject: Re: Cursor size

You can change the cursor size only vertically, through BIOS INT 10h,
function 1.  To use different fonts and character sizes you could design
your own cursor in graphics mode.

mst.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 14:21:06 EDT
From: <RSRANCH@UCLASSCF.bitnet> (Ran Chermesh)
Subject: Checking a 8087 Math Processor

I would like to check the efficiency of a math processor.  Looking for a
tool I've d/l a set of programs from PC-BLUE. All are on VOL025. The
documentation (enclosed below) mentions a BASRUN.EXE file.  No such
program is available on the source directory.

Does anyone know, is it a utility? How do I get it? Does anyone know of an
easy way of testing a math processor other than the one I chose?

Ran Chermesh

RSRANCH@UCLASSCF.BITNET

    Bas87 comes with a BASIC demo program labelled Spidemo.  As you can
see, there are two versions of the basic source, two object modules and
two execution modules. Spidemo requires the color monitor board to run,
since it does point graphics. To run it and check the operation of your
8087, type spidem87 while in DOS. You should also have a copy of
BASRUN.EXE in drive A, or put one there when the program prompts. Spidem87
will start off with the BAS87 sign on (which occurs automatically when it
is called at the start of your program) and should then proceed to draw a
series of spirals. If it doesn't run, you either don't have an 8087
installed, have a defective disk or have the monochrome display.  After
running Spidem87, try spidemo, the speed difference should be obvious.

    To use Bas87, you must do two things: call it from your program before
you do any floating point arithmetic, and include BAS87 with the name of
your program when you link your program. To understand this process, look
at the source for SPIDEMO and SPIDEM87.  Note the difference, spidemo does
not call bas87, but spidem87 does.  Now back up this disc and compile both
of these programs into object modules. The programs both use BASRUN and do
not need any options, such as /O etc. Next link both programs. When the
linker prompts for an object module, type SPIDEMO for the first and
SPIDEM87+BAS87 for the second. The final result of either link operation
should be an execution module.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 12:52:00 EDT
From:   "David L. Bartlett" <R3DLB@AKRONVM.bitnet>
Subject:  'Cleaning' a Hard-Drive

Does anyone know of a program that will clean out a harddrive of all files
and subdirectories except for a specified few.

If anyone has any information, please reply to me.

Thanks in advance.

David L. Bartlett (R3DLB@AKRONVM)

[PC Magazine had a program called 'NO' a few years ago.  This program
changed the attributes for a specified file 'pattern' and then called
COMMAND.COM to do the DOS command that was a command line parameter.

For instance:  if you typed "NO *.EXE DEL *.*", you would end up with a
disk that only had .EXE files left.

The programs from PC Magazine are available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.
Look in directory PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>VOLXXYY...  You need to know the VOLume
and issue the programs appears though.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 23:19:16 EDT
From:  John <Q@VTVM1>
Subject:  posting on the network

I have just joined you in subscribing the network.  Could anybody tell me
how to post on the network pls?

Thanks in advance.

John

[Be glad to fill you in...  Send your messages to
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>.  Messages are collected, then edited
into Digests and published on a bi-weekly basis (as the number of messages
requires).  See the header after today's topics.  gph]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------