Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (09/29/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 28 Sep 89       Volume 89 : Issue  85

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                       Bulletin Board programs
                              Derive
               Disabling FluShot from inside a bat file
                          Restore Problem
                        HyperPAD, questions...
        IBM Storyboard Plus to WordPerfect/TIFF/PCX Formats
     L-RMND16.ARC - Reminds you when it's time to backup files
                         mulfont editor
            New MSDOS file uploads to SIMTEL20 (2 msgs)
                   Path Spec. with WP 4.2 problems
           Please report SIMTEL20 ftp problems to ACTION
                   Printer driver for NEC printers
                 print screen driver for hpgl plotter
                            VGA cards
         WINKER4.ARC - version 4 of Kermit for MS-WINDOWS
                           Wordstar V5
                 Wuarchive being replaced SOON (fwd)
                     XMA2EMS.SYS driver query

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 89 11:43:25 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Bulletin Board programs

I am interested in acquiring a bulletin board system for an IBM PS/2 Model
55 that would have the following features:

1) Support multiple concurrent users (3)

2) Support for dial in user to have capability to run DOS programs (>
300K)

3) Support for ansi,color, or mono by dial-in user selection.

4) Supports file transfer (mostly downloads!!).

5) Compatible with IBM PC Lan program running on a IBM token ring LAN.
(We want to update the BBS database nightly with information that's is
extracted from a DOS LAN Server).

6) Most of all, EASY to set up and to support!  (I don't want much, huh??)
(Horror stories are welcome!!)

7) Public Domain if possible, but we haven't ruled out purchases if
necessary!

  Thanks.... Joel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89  16:14:13 EDT
From: Mitch%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Derive

I recently got Derive, a (very) scaled down version of Mathematica or
Macsyma, which handles symbolic caclulus, infinite precision calculations,
etc. I was wondering if there have been any books (besides, the 'manual')
written for it?

                                 Mitch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 14:01:40 PDT
From: RSRANCH%UCLASSCF.BITNET@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (Ran Chermesh)
Subject: Disabling FluShot from inside a bat file

I would like to disable FluShot from a bat file. The keyboard instruction
is to hit ALT three times. I tried the following method and it did not
work. I added the folowing three lines to my bat file:

echo ^[^[
echo ^[^[
echo ^[^[

Are there any other suggestions?
Ran Chermesh

RSRANCH@UCLASSCF

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 89 18:10:33 EET
From:         Nathan MAmias <ARRTEST%TECHNION.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      Restore problem

On trying to eliminate virus infected disk I made a full backup of the
entier disk useing IBM backup command (backup c: a: /s) under DOS 3.2;

After fixing a formating the hard disk (st225) I used RESTORE and LO and
BEHOLD! the restore command (restore a: c:*.* /s) rotates the floppy for a
while then prompts for the next diskette but DOES NOT write anything to
the hard disk. The same thing happened on another computer when I tried to
restore the files.   When trying to use dos 3.3, things look worse because
after reading diskette 01 DOS prompts for diskette 00.

Thanks are granted in advance.

Nathan Mamias
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Sep 89 14:45:22 CET
From: Georg Moe <EDB87003%NOBIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HyperPAD, questions...

Are there some people out there who have got some experience with a
program called HyperPAD (Brightbill-Roberts)?  It is supposed to be a
character-based HyperCard look-alike with a HyperTalk-like language (but
unlike HyperCard it is possible to compile the generated code).  Is the
language a sub/superset of HyperTalk?  How powerful are the
hypertext-capabilities?  Positive and negative comments?

Georg Moe
DP Department
Norwegian School of Management
PO. Box 580, N-1301 SANDVIKA, NORWAY
Tlf (47 2) 47 07 03

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 89 20:28 CDT
From: Jerry Katz <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: IBM Storyboard Plus to WordPerfect/TIFF/PCX Formats

I like IBM's Storyboard Plus,  but have found that the program's PIC
graphics file format is unique in all computerdom (it DEFINITELY is not
related to Lotus' PIC format,  or any other PIC format for that matter).
Unfortunately not even WordPerfect can import Storyboard+ files.

I am looking for a program,  preferably public domain, or inexpensive
shareware or commercial software which converts Storyboard Plus graohics
into (ideally) TIFF or PCX files,  or some format compatible with at least
WordPerfect 5.0.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1989  16:53 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: L-RMND16.ARC - Reminds you when it's time to backup files

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 89 15:23:05 MET
From: Stephan Claassen <U648004%HNYKUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: multifont editor

I want to create a multifont-editor for the IBM-PC.  My question is : Has
anyone done this before or tried it?  I would be grateful for any advice.

Stephan Claassen
u648004@hnykun11

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1989  01:13 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS file uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.arc-lbr>
ARK27Z.ARC      Menu shell for ARC6/PKPAK/LHARC/ZOO/PKZIP101

<msdos.screen>
BLOCKCUR.ARC    Control your true (hardware) cursor

<msdos.gif>
CSHOW720.ARC    GIF/MAC/RLE viewer/printer, Herc/CGA/EGA/VGA
CVTGIF15.ARC    PIC or PCX to GIF picture conversion utility
GLIST112.ARC    GIF listing utility, version 1.12

<msdos.database>
EASYQT.ARC      EASY QUOTE - price quoting program
ESTIMATE.ARC    Quick and easy job cost estimator

<msdos.graphics>
PICEM20B.ARC    PICEM v2.0b GIF PCX PIC view & conversion

<msdos.os2>
PKZ101-2.EXE    Phil Katz's ZIP v1.01 archive package for OS2

<msdos.sysutl>
UTILS1.ARC      Misc. utilities by E. Miller

<msdos.editor>
VDE140A.ARC     Small fast WordStar-like text editor

<msdos.zip>
ZV101.ARC       ZIP View - ZIP directory lister v1.01

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1989  16:11 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 14:47 GMT
Subject: Path Spec. with WP 4.2 problems

I use defined paths which point to specific substituted drives (A-Z), e.g.
PATH=\;G:\WP;..;C:.;C:\;D:\;U:\;C:\DOS;D:\NU;E:\;R:\;K:\;P:\;Q:.  As can
be seen some of these paths look peculiar: '\', '..', 'C:.'.  These are
ment for general purposes:

'\' means the root of the current logical or substituted drive.

'..' means the parent subdirectory of any subdirectory; if already in the
root of a (substituted) drive it has no effect.

'C:.' means the current directory on C: if on another drive.

A problem with WordPerfect 4.2 now occurs. WP crashes with a path
specification of '..' if this points to a root directory (not another
subdirectory) and the specification '\' does not have any effect with WP
if its files reside in the root of the current substituted drive: WP does
not find them.  So, as in the sample above, the explicit path to WP (now a
subdirectory itself) should be given before '..'.

Is this known to you? I would like to hear of similar problems.

Jim Groeneveld.
NIPG TNO - - - - - <work> - - - - -|- <home> - - - - -| GROENEVELD@HDETNO51
Postbus 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14     | JIM%RULTNO@HDETNO51
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet | TNOSUR::GROENEVELD
Nederland (NL)   071-178810        | 03412-60413      | RULTNO::JIM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1989  16:49 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Please report SIMTEL20 ftp problems to ACTION

I received the following email today from an Internet FTP user:

> I have been trying to get stuff from simtel for the past few days.
> Except on one occasion, I have always been disconnected in the middle
> of a file transfer.  This happens more frequently with big files. It
> happens only with simtel, not with other anonymous FTP sites.

If this is widespread we need to know about it.  Please send reports of
FTP problems to:

    ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

Please do not send them to me.  I maintain the archives, not the SIMTEL20
network software.

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 89 18:20 CDT
From: Brett Watson <BRETTW@ksuvm.bitnet>
Subject: Printer driver for NEC printers

I have a client with an IBM Model 50, an NEC Pinwriter P5200 printer, and
286 Windows.  When using the spreadsheet and paint programs, he tries to
print graphs and such. They print ok but the printer skips every other
row.  This is hard to explain in words but it prints a line about 1/2 in.
wide, then leaves a space the same width, and prints on the next, etc.
The printout is correct except for the spacing problem.  The Windows
package only has one driver for NEC printers and it's not the model that
he has.  I selected it anyway and like I said, it works but not quite
right.

Can I order the right printer driver or is it on a disk and i missed it?
Sorry this is so verbose but I'm trying to make my problem clear.

                                                          Brett

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 89 09:59 MST
From: GORDON_A%CUBLDR.Colorado.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: print screen driver for hpgl plotter

Does anyone know of a driver that allows a graphics screen to be dumped to
an hpgl plotter or file in HPGL?  I know of one called pizazz that I think
works with a Tektronix terminal, but I need one that works with a EGA
terminal.

Thanks
Allen Gordon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1989
From: Joerg Henrichs <unido!DK0RRZK0.bitnet!AIM11@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: VGA cards

I am planning the purchase of a VGA card (16 bit 256k) for my 386-25
computer.

When I tested one card with VGATEST2 it reported two errors :

- Hardware: General Registers : Expected vertical interrupt ... got 0

- Hardware: DAC Register : ... IBM and current do not agree

What do these errors mean (I have been told that nearly only IBM cards
pass this test without any error)? I also used VGACHALL which reported no
errors. On which test can I rely? What is important for the compatibility
of a VGA card and how can I test it?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Joerg Henrichs   (AIM11@DK0RRZK0.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1989  15:34 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: WINKER4.ARC - version 4 of Kermit for MS-WINDOWS

Date: 7 Sep 1989 11:39:32-BST
From: C.Gatcombe <sa362%CITY.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wordstar V5

Can anyone help with the following question I have with  Wordstar version
5?

I have a printer which is not supported directly (a Star  LC-10).  The
problem is that the printer is capable of doing all sorts of fancy fonts
in both draft and NLQ, but  Wordstar  can  only  ever print  a  small
selection  of  these,  depending on the selected printer driver.  That is,
one driver will allow you to use 12 cpi print,  but no IBM character set,
while another driver will allow the IBM character set but no 12cpi print.
I  would  like  to  be able  to  select,  say  '12  cpi italic' and have
this printed in whatever mode my printer is set  to  (draft/NLQ).
Whenever  you enter  a  control  code  in Wordstar to change a 'font',
Wordstar seems to send an awful lot of control characters turning  on  and
off  all  sorts  of other things (like draft/NLQ). For instance I can't
tell the printer to print in draft mode,  (for  speed)  be- cause Wordstar
insists in turning NLQ on if you have selected an NLQ font.  I have tried
looking at PRCHANGE, but very little  in- formation  is given concerning
how to use this.  Using the SIMPLE printer driver doesn't allow things
like  microjustification.  I guess that what I am asking is how to make my
own printer driver.

Chris Gatcombe,                                (sa362@uk.ac.city)
Department of Electrical, Electronic and Information Engineering,
City University,  Northampton Square,  London   EC1V 0HB,    U.K.

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 89 12:26:28 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Wuarchive being replaced SOON (fwd)

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 89 03:19:40 CDT