Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (10/03/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue,  3 Oct 89       Volume 89 : Issue  88

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                          BIOS key remapper?
                           Books on EGA/VGA
                       Help requested on Advent
                  does sco xenix support MS Windows?
                              easier ftp
                   EchoSys 1.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20
                Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #79
                       Request info on viruses
                        Replies to the Digest
                     Memory Expansion for PS/2's
          New release of SBTEX, MSDOS version of Knuth's TeX
                             NTSC to RGB
                               Palette
                           ViruScan Length
            Word Processor for very large (~10M) files
                      X windows under MS Windows

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 17:21:33 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: BIOS key remapper?

Does anyone know of a TSR that remaps the keyboard at the bios level?  We
know how to do it at the Dos level with ANSI.SYS or an equivalent.  We
want to investigate the possibility of intercepting keyboard reads from
programs that bypass Dos.  It would be desirable if this feature could be
easily disabled, as with a program that is only loaded for the duration of
its child process.  Any tips would be appreciated.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 13:21:06 CDT
From: Tom Cervenka    <CTCT100%UICVMC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Books on EGA/VGA

>> Someone wanted to know a good reference on programming video cards.
>>The one I bought and use is "Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 VIDEO
>>SYSTEMS" by Richard Wilton (Microsoft Press).

> >Another one, which I have found to be much better, is Richard F.
>Ferraro's "Programmer's Guide to the EGA and VGA Cards." It includes
>{some text omitted}
>I have found one error in the Ferraro text, though.  The register...
>{rest of message omitted}

 I've found many errors in the book. I started to list them but the list
got too big real quick. I have the first edition so maybe the errors have
been fixed in subsequent ones. I hope so because I do like the book. It
has info that I've not seen anywhere else.

 Tom Cervenka - University of Illinois at Chicago
 Internet: ctct100@uicvmc.aiss.uiuc.edu   Bitnet: ctct100@uicvmc

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 14:30 N
From: <SURF050%HTIKUB5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Help requested on Advent

Dear Fellow Networkers,

I know this magazine is for "serious problems" only. Still, being a member
of Homo Ludens I sometimes get hooked on less serious applications on my
PC.

So before you continue reading check this:

Is your experience with computers going back to the old days of CP/M?  Do
you like to play games if they challenge your intelligence?

Do you know about ancient things they call "books" and more specific
"fairy tale books"?

Well I'f you've come this far, and scored a YES more than once, just read
on!!!! Otherwise just skip this message altogether.

In them good old days of CP/M I got a copy of a game called Advent. I got
hooked, gathered lots of maps, schema's etc.  I managed to gather about
100 of possible 375 points but got stuck.

Recently I got a copy of a MS-DOS version of the same program and like a
alcoholic I got hooked again!!  Managed to score 150 points and got stuck
again!

Where can I find collegues to help me find a way to the rest of the
375?  Who can assist me in finding my way out of this Temple of CP/M-DOS
Doom?

I'll compile all reactions to the network if you're interested.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Koos Jorritsma
SURF050@HTIKUB5

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 4:54:13 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: does sco xenix support MS Windows?

Does SCO Xenix support MS Windows?  -David-

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 5:20:16 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: easier ftp

I have been ftp'ing files from the wuarchive system mounted via NFS on a
Sun directly to a PC running NCSA_Telnet.  I found that the following
command greatly eases the process:

    nmap $1.$2.$3 $1.$2

I suppose this would also help when connecting directly to simtel20 from a
PC, but I have not tried it.  -David-

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1989  14:09 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: EchoSys 1.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1989  00:30 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version
of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a description.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMDISP.AWK is an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
     This file is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more frequently,
     time permitting).

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX,
     AAAREAD.ME (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS,
     SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index with dBASEIII),
     SIMIBM.HDR (PC-File+ database header), SIMIBM.INF (explains the
     fields in the index), SIMDISP.AWK, and SIMDISP.DOC.

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week
     intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

        WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems should
be directed to ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 10:17 N
From: <BITOL%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Request info on viruses

Hi networkers,

I am curently working on a study project about computer viruses & economic
damage.  Some topics concerning my project :

-How does a 'company 'get infected ?
-What damage does a company suffer from ?
-How to cure a company ?

For my research i need to know a lot about of all kind of viruses that
have been around the last couple of years.  To be specific, i need to
know:

-when & where was this virus 'born'

-when,where & how it 'killed' the patient (country/city; this to measure
how fast the virus spreaded) -is there an antivirus and, if so, when did
that become avaible

I would also like source/bin. dumps of viruses, antiviruses.Please contact
me before you send me any executable files or use .ARC/.ZIP files with
docfile.

Thanx in advance, Frank

Frank A. van Tol
Wegedoornpad 16
2691 EW s'-Gravenzande
The Netherlands
+31 17 48 - 15 22 7

BITNET   : BITOL@HROEUR5
INTERNET : BITOL%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
UUCP     : FRANKT@HATHI.EURAIV.EURTRX.HP4NL.MCVAX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 21:31:57 EDT
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Replies to the Digest

Being new to the digest, I noticed that there seemed to be many more
questions than answers.  Since many of the questioners included their
electronic mail address at the end of their texts and since their address
is in the header it made me wonder how many replies go directly to the
person -- not to the digest.

In particular, the last digest had in one of the messages a request by the
sender that messages be sent directly to him.

NOW I find answers more interesting than questions.  So I just wonder how
many answers by-pass the digest and get sent to the person directly?  If
this seems of interest to you and the digest, perhaps you might indicate
that replies be sent to the digest as well as the person if the person
chooses to communicate directly.

Again, I think the exchange would be more interesting if you make sure
that all the answers are contained in the digest.  Perhaps each digest
might remind the audience of this in your digest part.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 12:53:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brian M. Gottier" <bg0v+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Memory Expansion for PS/2's

I have a model 70 PS/2 (E61) with which I am very happy.  However, I am
getting sick of 1 megabyte.  I am not about to pay what IBM and the CMU
computer store want for an extra meg of memory (on the order of $500.00).
Can anyone make suggestions about places to get cheaper memory.  I can
find lots of cheaper chips, but I don't know about getting a board which
will fit in the PS/2 to put them on.  The computer store has been no help
in answering any of these questions.

If any of you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Brian Gottier
bg0v@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 11:27 EDT
From: "James A. O'Brien (203) 432-4382" <OBRIEN%OBRIEN@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: New release of SBTEX, MSDOS version of Knuth's TeX

An upgraded version of sbtex contained in SB26TEX.ARC is now available
from SIMTEL20 (EARN sites use TRICKLE) in the pd1:<MSDOS.TEX> directory
and by anonymous FTP from VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU.  sbtex is a "vanilla" MSDOS
application and therefore will run on any MSDOS machine.

Improvements over the previously released sb08:

 1. It is faster; it requires about 30% less time to process tex files.

 2. It has greater capacity: up to 3050 multiletter control sequences may
be used (2400 for sb08).

 3. Environment variables are provided to override the defaults for
inputs, formats, and tfm directories.

 4. User-adaptable support for 8-bit byte input files is provided. Byte
values above 127 are replaced in the input buffer by strings from the pool
file. These strings can be changed by editing the pool file.  stats) is
smaller than 150Kb.

 5. Font swapping to disk has been implemented to cater for macro packages
which preload extensive font data. Main mem swapping is not implemented: a
CHKDSK value of 562,000 bytes of available RAM is required for a full
sized 32-bit mword TeX, but most TeX files can be processed with less
available RAM.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 15:50 EST
From: John Shin <JSHIN%HAMPVMS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: NTSC to RGB

Hello...

Of COURSE there is a way of converting NTSC signal to RGB.  How do you
expect Color Televisions to work?   :-)

Most companies that have anything to do with commercial analog integrated
circuits (IC's used in "commercial" products, whatever that is) have their
own version of NTSC encoder and decoder.  Examples would be Motorala, RCA,
Toshiba, etc.

Best thing to do is call the local sales office of the Semiconductor
division of those companies and ask for the Analog/Video products data
book.  Toshiba and Motorola would be the best place to ask, since most
other companies use their part numbers - "second sourcing."

If you want more specific info or don't know the phone number of your
local sales office, give me a call, with your Address included.  I'll be
glad to help...

(Multisync monitors are easier to do the conversion with.  Some display
formats require icky stages to adjust the screen format, but I can also
explain how to go about doing that.  Fortunately, most of the graphics
display formats are modifications of NTSC/PAL formats, so there shouldn't
be much of a problem.)

-John Shin (JSHIN@HAMPVMS.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 15:07:13 CDT
From: Tom Cervenka    <CTCT100%UICVMC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Palette

  Re: Palette

  In Info-IBMPC Digest, Volume 89, Issue 81, "Timothy R. Gottschalk",
<tg1e+@andrew.cmu.edu>, writes:

>      I have a PS/2 Model 50 with a VGA card and I am having some
>problems with changing the color registers (with actual rgb values).
>Micorsoft QuickBASIC does this with no problem but Borland's Turbo C
>only statement that does this is: setrgbpalette(color, red, green, blue)

>      This statement compiles to a call to ROM BIOS function 10h, >
>subfunction 10h (set color register) which I know for a fact only changes
>colors 0-5,7.  The remaining colors 6, 8-15 retain the default values
>i.e.  ignore the BIOS call altogether.  Does anyone know how to set all
>16 color registers either by tricking ROM BIOS or writing directly to
>memory?  I really don't want to resort to multi-language programming.

 I think you are confusing the contents of the palette registers with the
color registers. Both the EGA and VGA have palette registers. On the EGA
they are write only. But on the VGA, they are read/write. INT 10h,
fucntion 10h, subfunction 9 will read them. They default to the following
values:

                   Register Number         Value (hex)
                          0                     0
                          1                     1
                          2                     2
                          3                     3
                          4                     4
                          5                     5
                          6                     14
                          7                     7
                          8                     38
                          9                     39
                          10                    3A
                          11                    3B
                          12                    3C
                          13                    3D
                          14                    3E
                          15                    3F

 On the EGA these values are codes to turn on or off the 6 monitor signal
lines, sometimes written "rgbRGB". The value can be between 0 (black) to
3FH (all line on - brightest white, see palete register 15)

 On the VGA, they select a color register. There are 256 color registers
(numbererd 0-255). The color register stores 6 bits for each primary
color, RGB. The are initially set up so that they match the output of the
EGA. For instance, palette register 15 points to color register 3FH. 3FH
has values, RED 63 (3FH), GREEN same, BLUE same. This outputs the
brightest white, just like the VGA.

 In EGA MODE 10H (16 color) and VGA MODE 12H (16 color), pixels have
values 0- 15 and use the palette register to map the value to a color.

 So when you use setrgbpalette(colornum,red,green,blue) with color number
6, 8- 15 you are setting color registers that are not being displyed (if
the default is true). This is why I think you're confusing color and
palette values.

 To change the color output of palette index 15, call

                      setrgbpalette(0x3F,red,green,blue);

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 07:19:19 -0700
From: portal!cup.portal.com!Alan_J_Roberts@Sun.COM
Subject: ViruScan Length

John McAfee asked me to forward the following message:

    My apologies to the VIRUSCAN user community about my premature
announcement some months back that VIRUSCAN would always remain 34400
bytes long.  I am old enough to have known better.  Architectural changes
brought about by newer viruses have necessitated a changing size for some
versions.  Version 39 in particular, has been virtually re-written to
double its speed, link with the SHEZ program to scan archived files and
provide an individual file scan if requested.  Such changes can't be
squeezed into the original 34400 bytes.  I accept the title of idiot from
anyone who wishes to confer it on me.  Future versions of SCAN will
contain the file size in the documentation, and sizes will be
appropriately advertised.  John McAfee

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 17:30:38 EDT
From: mlsmith@NADC.ARPA (M. Smith)
Subject: Word Processor for very large (~10M) files

    I have been using windows write to cut up some large files. But it
dies somewhere around 2 Megabytes. Microsoft Word fails to repaginate at 5
Megabytes, but does not fail hard until 9 Megabytes. Does anyone know of a
word processor that will handle files greater than 10 Megabytes?

                                        Mark L. Smith
                                        Naval Air Development Center
                                        Code 5053
                                        Warminster, PA 18974-5000
                                        AV 441-2454

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 89 1:18:52 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: X windows under MS Windows

What the world needs is an X-window client that runs under MS Windows.  I
hope you developers out there are listening.  :-)  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

-------