Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (10/07/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  7 Oct 89       Volume 89 : Issue  89

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                        80386SX boards for ATs
                         architecture CAD s/w
                   corrupt file in Simtel archive?
                         disable ctrl-alt-del
                     Emulating VT100 with PROCOMM
                       Exapnding file directory
    GRAPHPS.ARC (updated) - Line graphics for a PostScript device
         IBM-PC Compatible to Apple Imagewriter II connection
                     How to get mail to the List
                                PC FTP
       POSTOGRF.ARC - Add labels to GRAPHPS and GRAPHLI output
                   SB26TEX.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20
                 Scimate manager replacement software
                         Update mailing list
                   Windows Development and Fortran
                    Windows graphics ``crossbars''
                              XT speedup

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 08:18:59 IST
From: Ron Zweig <H27%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 80386SX boards for ATs

Has anyone seen ads for, or had experience with, replacing the 80286 chip
on an AT with the 80386SX? I have read a lot about the new chip but have
not seen any boards advertised for it.

Ron Zweig
H27@TAUNIVM
(Tel Aviv University)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 09:42:12 EDT
From: "Bruce E. Nevin" <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
Subject: architecture CAD s/w

Anyone know about support systems for architects?  Not just CAD but also
database stuff, whatever's relevant.

        Bruce Nevin
        bn@cch.bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1989  10:41 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: corrupt file in Simtel archive?

I checked all of the archives in directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODULA2>.  They are
NOT corrupt.  There must be a problem with the way your host is handling
binary files with FTP.  Did you remember to use the TENEX command?  If you
don't have that command the following is functionally the same:

type binary
quote "TYPE L 8"

The double quotes are required.  Some systems may require

type binary
quote "type L 32"

Please send questions about problems with SIMTEL20 files to me rather than
to Info-IBMPC.  Questions about network and system problems should be sent
to Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 20:14:31 -0500
From: ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio)
Subject: disable ctrl-alt-del

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>Hello networkers,
>Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to disable the reboot
>Ctrl-Alt-Del from within a program and later restore its function?  Any
>suggestions will be very much appreciated.

>Thanks, Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Utrecht State University, Netherlands

I remember doing this in BASIC several years ago.  All you need are the
escape codes for each key, and whenever the combination of those three
keys is pressed, trap the code, and do something else.

Sorry it's kinda vague, but like I said, it's been several years since
I've tried to do this! :*)

     - Jeff

Jeff Boerio               :  Purdue University Dept. of Computer Science
ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu    :  Purdue University Computing Center Volunteer
boerio@ea.ecn.purdue.edu  :  Purdue University ECN Student Programmer

------------------------------

Date: 21 Sep 89 23:55:00 EDT
From: rothman@ACFcluster.nyu.edu
Subject: Emulating VT100 with PROCOMM

I use PROCOMM (v. 2.4.2) to connect to a VAX from my p.c. at home.  In
doing so, I set the program to emulate a VT100 terminal.  When I log onto
the VAX, however, there are some problems when I try to use the
full-screen VAX editor EDT.

Specifically, when I go into full-screen editing, all I can do is move the
cursor around as per the "arrow keys" on the p.c. keypad.  That is, I can
not get any of the standard EDT keypad functions to work.

There appears to be some problem is informing PROCOMM that I want to
emulate a VT100.  When I communicate to the VAX with SMARTCOM, EDT works
fine.

Does anyone out there have any ideas about what might be going wrong?
Thanks for your help.

Phil Rothman
Dept. of Economics
N.Y.U.
ROTHMAN@ACF1.NYU.EDU   (Bitnet, Arpanet, Jnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 16:53:15 PDT
From: RSRANCH%UCLASSCF.BITNET@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (Ran Chermesh)
Subject: Expanding file directory

I can't be the only one who tries a utility, likes it, and adds it to his
HD never to be used again. Each time I read correspondence on this list I
find new ideas for improvement. Simtel is only at a finger's distance and
and a PDIR, followed by a PDGET command is on the air.

I don't want to curtail my curiosity. This way I came across many programs
otherwise I would have never even bothered to check. If I only had a way
to review the USE of the files on my disk, I could have cleaned the
useless as a monthly routine.

My question is, is there a routine which enforces DOS to keep an extended
directory, including the date a file has been used. Seems like such an
option, which is the default on many main frame computers can be helpful.

Ran Chermesh

RSRANCH@UCLASSCF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1989  15:12 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: GRAPHPS.ARC (updated) - Line graphics for a PostScript device

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 12:06:43 CDT
From: <UHP%MSSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: IBM-PC Compatible to Apple Imagewriter II connection

I have the pleasurable job of finding a way to connect a PC to the
Imagewriter II.  I have succeeded with the original Imagewriter, but I
have had no luck with the II.  The original used a simple null modem cable
to connect to the serial port of the PC.  The II does not, although I am
sure it is a serial connection.

If anyone knows a pinout for this situation, please let me know.  If there
is a particular source of cables for this purpose, that information would
also be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-Bill

William D. Henry (Bill)        Mailing Address:
University Honors Program      P.O. Box 3969
Mississippi State University   Miss. State, MS  39762
UHP@MsState.BITNET
                               Phone:  (601)325-2522

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 21:40 EST
From: <VY4382%BINGVAXA.BITNET@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: How to get mail to the List

I have been unsuccessful in sending messages to the digest via the address
info-ibmpc@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  I am trying to send from a bitnet
node.  My first question is how do I send to the digest from a VAX/VMS
bitnet account?

[The way you send a message to the Digest from ANY host is to send the
mail to <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> as you have been doing.
Messages are collected, sometimes edited, placed into a digest and
forwarded to the list as a whole.  This allows us to reduce the amount of
'traffic' on the net while still getting the information out in a timely
manner.  Messages of an  administrative nature, eg requests to be added to
the list, deleted from the list, or just flames to the 'Editor' should be
sent to <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>.  The only type of
message that will not be run are those concerning copy protection of any
form.  Please DO NOT send mail to <IBMPC-L@bitnet.host>.  Mail of this
type is forwarded to the Digest's mailbox and requires EDITING.  gph]

My other question is if I log onto Simtel20 via ftp from my Unix account,
what is the username and password that I should use to log on to receive
file from the IBM-PC library?

[The way you log onto the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL FTP server from any host
is to use your user FTP process to connect to WSMR, use user-name
<anonymous> with a password consisting of <your-name@your-host>.  ANY
non-null string will do as a password, but <user-name@host> is preferred.
Consult your SYSTEM gurus on the best way to grab BINARY files for your
host since MOST files at WSMR are stored in a binary, and not text,
format.  A good first try is to use the command "TYPE TENEX" or "TYPE 8
L".  gph]

Thankyou,
Rick Dickens
VY4382@BINGVAXA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 20:15:48 -0500
From: ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio)
Subject: PC FTP

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I have recently encountered a version of FTP/Telnet for PC's.
>Unfortunately, I don't have the software or any documentation. Does
>anyone know what it does, compared to Unix FTP & Telnet?

Same thing ... it's great!

     - Jeff

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1989  14:55 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: POSTOGRF.ARC - Add labels to GRAPHPS and GRAPHLI output

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1989  15:53 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SB26TEX.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89  16:31:48 EDT
From: VYS%NIHCU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Scimate manager replacement software

We currently are using a flatfile manager from ISI called SCIMATE
(Manager). ISI is no longer supporting Scimate Software.  Does anyone know
of a good replacement for this package.

      Features we are most interested in:

            Large field sizes - 1000 or more characters per Field and
record level Boolean searching; 20 or more fields per record; Easy
conversion of current Scimate databases - Scimate can export to ASCII text
files (undelimited)

John Soluri
VYS@NIHCU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 14:27:23 EDT
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: Windows Development and Fortran

Is this a large model program?  Have you ``turned it around'' so that it
is event driven?  Do the Fortran libraries work properly under Windows?

I assume that none of the user interface can be written in Fortran, or did
you actually go to the trouble of writing Fortran prototypes for all the
Windows functions?  Assuming that C and FORTRAN can call each other, the
user interface code should be written in C, and you can use Fortran only
for the strictly computational parts of the program.  It would be very
strange to force a typical Fortran idea of terminal input/output on a
Windows program.  Did you follow such an approach, and, if so, did you
construct a working program which consisted of the user interface and a
few ``stub'' routines?

Large model is a real pain under the current version of Windows.  Things
will be better in the next version.  (MSW disclaimer: well, if there
*were* to be another version, and *if* that version supported protected
mode programs.  You may have seen the discussion of such a hypothetical
version on the front cover of PC Week -- wouldn't it be wonderful it was
true?)

You might also try change your database strategy so that the database and
user interface are separate programs -- then use DDE to communicate
between them.  There is already a small Windows application bundled with
Excel that can make SQL queries and send them in DDE format to Excel.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 14:09:06 EDT
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: Windows graphics ``crossbars''

Are they any good Windows programs that do the following:

(1) View images (in color)

(2) Allow images to scaled and cropped

(3) Handle a variety of formats:

    * PCX
    * TIFF
    * MacPaint
    * GIF
    * Micrografx DRAW
    * EPSF (can convert bitmaps to EPSF, can take preview metafiles
            and convert to other formats)

The closest analogue on the Mac is Vision Lab, with the Giffer a close
relative.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Sep 89 14:10:53-EST
From: Tom Maloney <TJM@MATH.AMS.COM>
Subject: XT speedup

Hi - I have a lowly XT clone (4.77/8 MHz) with an EGA board/monitor (256k
memory). I would like to get faster response on graphics applications. I
would appreciate any cost/benefit input on the following options :

            1) V20 chip (very cheap, > $20 US)

            2) 8087 math coprocessor (~$120)

            3) 286 add-on board (> $400)

Tom Maloney                         /    |   /  |/  |  / ._ /
American Mathematical Society      /  =  |  /  ._.  |  \_. \
INTERNET: tjm@math.ams.com        /__/|__| /__/  |__| /____/

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

-------