Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (10/08/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  8 Oct 89       Volume 89 : Issue  90

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                            'AXE' from SEA
                     3.5" disk drives for the XT
                      80*87 pointer arithmetic ?
                    accessing VHDL from FTP on Vax
    FBTRIAL.ARC - FASTBACK PLUS Trial version uploaded to SIMTEL20
                       First cluster of a file
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #81
                      Mouse Driver for Joystick
                         NEC printer drivers
          New IBMPC anti-viral programs uploaded to SIMTEL20
                  Question from the Incredibly Naive
         Quick reference list to SIMTEL20'S MSDOS directories
   SIMTEL20.ARC - Easy manipulation/viewing of SIMTEL20 file lists
              SWAP utilities update uploaded to SIMTEL20
                           VGA 1-2-3 driver
                         VGA Palettes (again)
           VMS style DOS help program uploaded to SIMTEL20
                           Re: Binary Editors

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 08:19:24 EST
From: DOUG%YSUB.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: 'AXE' from SEA

First, pardon if you've seen this request before.

SEA, the people that write ARC, also have a program called AXE (I think)
that compresses executable files and prepends the program with a bootstrap
that uncompresses the program in memory and then transfers control.  This
provides disk space savings, and SOME protection from viruses (the CRC
check will fail on a modified EXE file).  It also helps 'obscure' the
program somewhat from snoopers.

1. Is this program shareware? Is it easily available (I didn't see it in a
cursory look at SIMTEL20)?

2. How does one contact SEA about it - as I use ZIP, not ARC, I don't have
any of the SEA software handy.  I suppose I could download something.

3. How much do they want for it (if this is not publishable here due to
Bitnet rules, etc. you can e-mail me).

4. How does it compare with similar programs (LIBRA copy protection does
this, I believe, and AZ-TECH's EVERTRACK program might)?

5. Does it allow you to uniquely serialize copies of a program?

Doug Sewell (Watchman on RELAY - DOUG@YSUB.BITNET), Tech Support,
Computer Center, Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 09:58 EDT
From: "GASPAR KIRALY,JR" <V2173WXV@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: 3.5" disk drives for the XT

Hi, I have a XT clone and I would like to add a 3.5" drive to it.  I'd
like to have the 1.44 meg and set it up as drive B.

My question is the following: Do I have to get a new controller card? I
have a double floppy controller.  That controls drive A: (a 360K 5.25").
If I need a new card, will I have to take the old controller out? I have
battery backup as well as a parallel port on it.  I really do not want to
throw out.

Thanks for any info.
Gaspar
v2173wxv@ubvms

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 19:27:52 MET
From: frank waes <U379005%HNYKUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 80*87 pointer arithmetic ?

Hello,
Would there by any chance be some net profit in performing 20- to (say)
32-bit pointer arithmetic with 80*87 coprocessors (8038* excluded) ???
(N.B.: incl. ESCAPE cycles, etc. & worst case (i.e. 8 bit) BUS
operations).

Frank Waes
u379005@hnykun11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  13:42 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: FBTRIAL.ARC - FASTBACK PLUS Trial version uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 22 SEP 89 15:17 N
From: CAVECCHIA%ITNVAX.CINECA.IT%ICINECA2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: First cluster of a file

I need to write a small, C callable routine that, given a file name,
outputs the number of the first cluster on disk of the file.  Is there
something like a DOS/Bios call that I can use for this purpose?

Thanks to all.

Valter V. Cavecchia          | Bitnet:       cavecchia@itncisca          |
Centro di Fisica del C.N.R.  |               cavecchia@itnvax.cineca.it  |
I-38050 Povo (TN) - Italy    | Decnet:       itnvax::cavecchia (37.65)   |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 09:51:26 MEZ
From: "Juergen R. KLaes" <ARA002%DJUKFA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #81

Hi, out there, is there anybody, knowing about some incompatibilities with
the PS/2-50-Z  <-> IBM-PC-AT_series??  We are trying to run the
Turbo-Backup-Program on an PS/2-50-Z and am having trouble in Verifying /
Reading the created Backup-Diskettes. (3.5")

/Juergen Klaes
 Nuclear Research Centre Juelich GmbH, FRG

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 09:52:35 CDT
From: rcp%moth.sw.MCC.COM@MCC.COM (Rob Pettengill)
Subject: Mouse Driver for Joystick

Does anyone know of a device driver for the PC joystick that will emulate
a microsoft mouse?

;rob

  Robert C. Pettengill, MCC Software Technology Program
  P. O. Box 200195, Austin, Texas  78720
  ARPA:  rcp@mcc.com            PHONE:  (512) 338-3533
  UUCP:  ..!cs.utexas.edu!milano!rcp

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 10:46 CDT
From: Brett Watson <BRETTW%KSUVM.BITNET@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: NEC printer drivers

Can anyone tell me where to find a printer driver for an NEC Pinwriter
P5200 printer?  I am running 286 Windows with an IBM PC Model 70.  The
only printer driver I could find with Windows is not the right driver for
my printer.  It "works" to an extent.  Text prints fine and graphs print
ok except it prints a line about 1/4 inch wide, then leaves a blank line
the same width.  This continues on down the page.  Any help appreciated.

                                                  Brett Watson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  13:13 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New IBMPC anti-viral programs uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 12:01:35 EDT
From: Kim Dyer <3C257F7%CMUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Question from the Incredibly Naive

I am in a situation where I use both Macintoshs and IBM-PCs on a regular
basis.  I *DO* know how to down-load files from Macintosh archives, but
can not seem to locate the IBM-PC archives that are mentioned in
INFO-IBMPC.

Can someone please tell me where such archives are, and how I can download
files from them using BITNET.  (No FTP access, in other words.)

* Kim A. Dyer                     |                                  *
* Computer Services               |       THERE'S A DESK UNDER       *
* Central Michigan University     |          HERE SOMEWHERE!         *
* Mt. Pleasant, MI                |      I ACTUALLY SAW IT ONCE!     *
* (3c257f7 @ CMUVM) Bitnet        |                                  *

[The SIMTEL-BITNET help file has been forwarded.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  00:45 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20'S MSDOS directories

Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of Sept. 22, 1989 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ADA           DATABASE      GRAPHICS      OS2           SPRINT
AIJOURNAL     DBASE         HAMRADIO      PACKET        SQ-USQ
ALLCHARGE     DDJMAG        HYPERTEXT     PASCAL        STARLINK
APL           DESKACCESS    IRIT          PC-JR         STARTER
ARC-LBR       DESKJET       KA9Q-TCPIP    PCIP          STATISTICS
ARCNET-PCIP   DESKPUB       KERMIT        PCMAG         SURFMODL
ASM-MAG       DESQVIEW      KEYBOARD      PCMAIL        SWAP
ASMUTL        DIRUTL        LAN           PCPURSUIT     SYSUTL
AT            DISASM        LAPTOP        PCRESOURCE    TAXES
AUTOCAD       DSKUTL        LASER         PCTECH        TELIX
AWK           EDITOR        LISP          PIBTERM       TEX
BASIC         EDUCATION     LOTUS123      PILOT         TROJAN-PRO
BATUTL        EEL           MAC           PLI           TURBO-C
BBS           EGA           MAPPING       PLOT          TURBOBAS
BBSLISTS      EMULATORS     MATH          PREPROCESS    TURBOPAS
BIBLE         FIDO          MAX           PRINTER       TXTUTL
BORLAND       FILEDOCS      MEMACS        PROCOMM       UUCP
BYTEMAG       FILUTL        MENU          PRODIGY       VENTURA
C             FINANCE       MICROCORN     PROGJOURN     VGA
CAD           FLOWCHART     MODEM         PROLOG        VOICE
CALCULATOR    FORMGEN       MODULA2       QBASIC        VOICEMAIL
CATALOG       FORTH         MOUSE         QMODEM        WORLDMAP
CIS           FORTRAN       MSJOURNAL     RBBS-PC       X-10
CMPLNGMAG     FOSSIL        MSWINDOWS     SCREEN        XLISP
COMPATIBLES   FREEMACS      MUSIC         SMALL-C       XPC
COMPUTE-PC    GENIE         NCSATELNET    SMALLTALK     ZIP
CROSSASM      GIF           NETWORK       SNOBOL4       ZMODEM
CROSSREF      GRAPH         OPUS          SPREADSHEET   ZOO

See PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for details on
file directories and descriptions.

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  00:10 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL20.ARC - Easy manipulation/viewing of SIMTEL20 file lists

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  00:41 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SWAP utilities update uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 14:27:47 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: VGA 1-2-3 driver

Apparently the last time this wasn't posted.  I'm looking for a Lotus
1-2-3 Version 2.x driver for VGA.  It should include 50-line mode and
640x480x16 graphics.  I couldn't find it in SIMTEL20.  Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 09:29:01 PDT
From: madler@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu (Mark Adler)
Subject: VGA Palettes (again)

> From: "Timothy R. Gottschalk" <tg1e+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> I have a PS/2 Model 50 with a VGA card and I am having some problems
>with changing the color registers (with actual rgb values).  Micorsoft
>QuickBASIC does this with no problem but Borland's Turbo C only
>statement that does this is: setrgbpalette(color, red, green, blue) >>

>This statement compiles to a call to ROM BIOS function 10h, >>
>subfunction 10h (set color register) which I know for a fact only >>
>changes colors 0-5,7.  The remaining colors 6, 8-15 retain the default
>values i.e.  ignore the BIOS call altogether.  Does anyone know how to
>set all 16 color registers either by tricking ROM BIOS or writing
>directly to memory?  I really don't want to resort to multi-language
>programming.

Tim,

You are being confused by the fact that there are two levels of palette
tables in the VGA.  I will first explain how the VGA palettes works and
then explain what you were doing and how to fix it.

The first level emulates the palette on the EGA---it takes four bits in
(representing 16 colors) and addresses a 16x6 bit RAM table that puts six
bits out.  (There is also a 17th "entry" for the overscan color stored in
a separate register.)  The EGA stops there and uses the six bits as three
r, g, and b levels of two bits each.  On an EGA, these bits are sent
digitally to the video monitor and each of the three pairs are converted
to a four level analog signal in the monitor.

The VGA (built into PS/2's models >= 50) has a second level of palette
table.  It then takes the six bits from the EGA palette table, appends two
leading zeros to make eight bits, and then uses that value to address a
256x18 bit RAM table.  The 18 bits out are used as three six-bit r, g, and
b levels.  Each is converted into a 64 level analog signal on the VGA
board, and then sent on the video monitor cable as three analog signals
(unlike the EGA which uses six digital signals).

If you are using the 256 color 320x200 mode (or other 256 color modes on
"Super-VGA" cards), then the EGA palette is bypassed and the eight bits
per pixel go directly to address the 256x18 palette.  In this case, the
entire palette could be used.

The Turbo C calls: setpalette() and setallpalette() set the EGA 16x6
palette.  The equivalent BIOS calls are int 10h, ah=10h, al=0, 1, 2.

The Turbo C call: setrgbpalette() sets the VGA's 256x18 palette.  The
equivalent BIOS call is int 10h, ah=10h, al=10h.

So, what was happening to you?  We should look at the default setting of
the first (EGA-style) palette in the VGA.  It is:

     00 01 02 03 04 05 14 07 38 39 3A 3B 3C 3D 3E 3F

This is to be compatible with the EGA, which sets the same values.  In the
VGA, then, there are at least 16 entries in the 256x18 palette that must
get initialized to give the proper rgb levels for those colors.  In fact,
the first 64 entries in the 256x18 palette are initialized to emulate the
effect of the three 2-bit digital to analog converters that are in EGA
video monitors.  In this way, you can change the 16x6 palette however you
like and the effect should be the same as on an EGA card and monitor.
(The VGA leaves the other 192 colors unspecified on reset.)

What you were trying to do was change only the first 16 colors of the
256x18 palette.  Only colors 0..5, and 7 are mapped into those first 16 by
the 16x6 palette, so those were the only ones you could change!  What you
need to do is either change the entries corresponding to the map in the
16x6 table, or (what I'd do) change the 16x6 table to 00..0Fh (using
setallpalette()) so that it would address the first 16 entries in the
256x18 table.  Then changing the first 16 using setrgbpalette() would have
the effect you desire.

                                        Mark Adler
                                bitnet: madler@hamlet
                                arpa:   madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1989  01:11 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: VMS style DOS help program uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri Sep 22 16:34:24 1989
From: davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com
Subject: Re: Binary editors

I use BPE, posted to alt.sources and comp.binaries.ibm.pc last year. It
works well on MS-DOS or UNIX and allows editing in text or hex mode. It
should run on any reasonable C compiler which includes a curses library
(VMS, Amiga, etc).

bill davidsen   (davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
'reason' in the face of the church and common sense. Any fool can see that
the world is flat!" - anon

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

-------