Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/04/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  3 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue  96

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
       Proposed Computer Legislation-Restricting Education Sales
                       0 bytes in 1 hidden file
                           Buying C for PC
                        Excel window ordering
                         File output in Excel
                    GIF file reader needed for PC.
                         HARD DISK FOR AN XT
                          Hercules Graphics
                    HP Laserjet II and Wordperfect
         IBM-PC Compatible to Apple Imagewriter II connection
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #89
                     Japanese TeX version for PCs
                        Problems with Zortech
                         Prolog mailing list
              Replies to the digest '89 Mr. Curt Priest
                          SciMate / IBMPC-L
              RE: Wordstar v5 and star LC-10 printers
                      X11 server for PCs wanted
                  RE: Printer driver for NEC printer

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: 11 October 1989 11:51:37 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Proposed Computer Legislation-Restricting Education Sales

This is for the people on this list affiliated with a university.  I found
this and thought I'de pass it on ( since it does relate to PCs).  As usual
the opinions expressed here are those of individuals and not of their
employer's or the university they happen to be affiliated with.

  Bj
============================
Date: 04 OCT 89 10:44:17 CST
From: Ron Rushing <RRUSHING%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

Dear  Fellow Educators,
As you may be aware, many computer manufacturers offer substantial
discounts on their computers to university students, faulty, and staff.
Certainly, there is some marketing behind their offers.  However, their
efforts also spread computer technology, encouraging the use of computers
in the education process.  I feel, and I hope that you do also, that
computers are the teaching tool of the 90s. Students must have access to
computers as an integral part of their education.  Faculty and staff must
have access to computers to be able to teach the students through them.
Congress is in the process of developing legislation that will restrict
the sale of computers on university campuses. Many feel that these
restrictions will effectively stop campus computer sales altogether.  This
legislation is a portion of the proposed Unrelated Business Income Tax
Changes (UBIT), coming from the House Ways and Means Committee. The
current proposals being considered would

(1) prevent students from buying computers at education prices from your
campus reseller unless they get a permission slip from a professor which
states that the computer is required for a particular class;

and

(2) prevent college faculty and staff from purchasing computers through
the campus resale program at education prices altogether.

Technically, Congress is not banning the sale of computers on the campus.
Rather they are putting into place various restrictions which universities
must comply with in order to avoid a special tax (the Unrelated Business
Income Tax) for non-proffit organizations.  Many universities are
commenting that if the administrative rules get too complex, they will
just discontinue sales of computers on campus altogether.  Congress has
been hearing from many businessmen, who complain that the discount offered
on university campuses are hurting their retail sales. Congress is
listening to this group; they have not heard from the education community.
Our legislators need to know that computers are an important part of
students education. They must be made aware that students and educators
require access to computers.  They must be told that computers are not
just 'toys' or luxuries for students.  They are used as an integral part
of the learning process.

As educators, we cannot let this proposed legislation be enacted.
Restrictions on the sales of computers on university campus are
ridiculous.  Students need computers, just as they need calculators,
textbooks, and paper.  Yet no legislation has been proposed to restrict
sales of these items on university campuses.  Write your legislators.
Talk with your colleagues and students; encourage them to write also.
Don't sit by and let yet another piece of legislation adversely affect the
education process.  We in Texas are fortunate.  There are three members of
Congress from our state who are directly involved in this proposed
legislation.

Bill Archer-- Ranking Minority Member of the House Ways and Means
Committee

Mike Andrews-- Member of the House Ways and Means Committee

J.J PICKLE-- CHAIRMAN OF THE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE, WHICH AUTHORED THE
DRAFT REPORT ON UBIT CHANGES.

Their address is:

U.S House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me.  I
will continue to monitor this proposed legislation.  If you would like to
receive any updated information , let me know via E-Mail.  When you send
letters to these congressmen, please send a copy to

Chuck Jacob
Apple Computer
1550 M Street, NW Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20005

Mr. Jacob asked for copies of your letters.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Oct 89 00:45:59 GMT
From: tasos@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Anastasios Kotsikonas)
Subject: 0 bytes in 1 hidden file

   When I run CHKDSK it reports "0 bytes in 1 hidden files" and I am
wondring if I have a virus. I have been unable to see a hidden file with 0
bytes with PCTOOLS or Norton Commander. I would appreciate any comments on
how I could list all of the hidden files, or how does CHKDSK find hidden
files (i.e. is it looking for the second bit set ?)

Thanks,
Tasos

[What CHKDSK is reporting is the Volume Label.  It looks like a file entry
until the bits describing the entry are decoded.]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Oct 89 11:25:00 GMT
From: bloom-beacon!mit-caf!gavin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau)
Subject: Buying C for PC

        I am looking for a C compiler for the IBM PC type computer that
will be most compatible with the C on my MIPS M120.  Is there any
advantage /disadvantage of the 2 most popular C compilers for the PC:
Turbo and MSC?  [other people uses Turbo pascal here so compatibility with
data from these program might be a great advantage.] Thanks

Gavin Zau       Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
                gavin@caf.mit.edu       mefl@eagle.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 18:47:10 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Excel window ordering

In Excel, the windows are numbered, and I want to know how to change the
numbering order.  I have one sheet and two charts, and when Excel loads
the workspace, it loads one chart first, then the sheet, and then the
chart.  When the first chart is loaded, Excel asks me whether I want to
update the chart, when I'm about to load the sheet that goes with that
chart anyway.  If I could have Excel load the sheet first,  then it
wouldn't be interrupting the load with unnecessary questions.

I've already tried several combinations of closing/opening the windows.
It always puts the sheet between the two charts.  Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 89 20:33:46 EDT
From: <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: File output in Excel

When I modify Excel's WIN.INI to include a filename under the PORTS
section, supposedly Excel will display that file in a dialog box as a
destination for printouts.  This works, however, everytime another
printout is made, Excel deletes the output file, instead of appending the
subsequent printouts to the end of this output file.  Does anyone know how
I can instruct Excel not to delete the file for every printout?  I don't
have Windows, so I can't use the MS-DOS Executive to rename the file
before each printout.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:14:00 EDT
From: Groisman%UNCAMULT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: GIF file reader needed for PC.

I'm looking for code (either C or Pascal) to read and decode GIF files.
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format and is used a lot in
Compu$erve.  I have some graphics files in this format and would like to
read them and display them from my program.  Any help is more than
wellcome.

                    Gaston Groisman
                    U of Calgary, Canada

                    groisman@uncamult.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 09:30:27 CST
From: Starfleet Headquarters <S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Hercules Graphics

How can I make use of the graphics mode on a Hercules compatible
monochrome graphics card? I've looked at an interrupt listing, and I have
found nothing useful there. Any suggestions are welcome.

 Brian Piersel
 BITNET:    S1CH@SDSUMUS            ICBM: 96.50W 44.20N
 INTERNET:  S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU
      (The Internet address doesn't always work)

 "There's smoke in the computer room! Get the gasoline!"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 89 22:44:56 EDT
From: Joseph Skoler <SKOHC@cunyvm.bitnet>
Subject: HP Laserjet II and Wordperfect

Hello all,
I wonder if I could get some feedback about the PD programs out there to
download and/or create soft fonts for use with a HP Laserjet II.  I would
be interested in any helpful hints in utilizing Wordperfects capabilities
with the HP.  I have a bunch of softfonts but haven't been able to access
then with wordperfect; is there special coding or naming involved in using
Wordperfect?

thanks

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 07:48:30 PDT
From: Harvey_Burian@mtsa.ubc.ca
Subject: IBM-PC Compatible to Apple Imagewriter II connection

type PC to an Apple Imagewriter II, according to the Imagewriter manual,
the connection is serial and has the following pinouts:

         Mini-Circular          RS232-C
          8 pin (IW)         9/25 pins (IBM)        Symbol
         --------------      ----------------       ------
              1                    6*                 DSR
              1                    8*                 DCD
              2                   20                  DTR
              3                    3                  RXD
              4**                  7                  GND
              5                    2                  TXD
              6                    -                  NC
              7                    -                  NC
              8**                                     GND
              Shield                                  Shield

                * Jumpered together at RS232-C (9/25 pin)
               ** Jumpered together at Mini-Circular (8 pin)

Hope this helps!  Incidently, making the connection seems to work well.
The problem I have encountered is a lack of Imagewriter drivers for many
standard IBM-PC programs.  If anyone has one for MS-WORD5, for example, I
would be interested.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 19:33:37 MEZ
From: Manfred Kremer <HLR002%DJUKFA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Japanese TeX version for PCs

Who knows of any Japanese version of TeX which can be run on a PC?  Any
information would be appeciated.

Manfred Kremer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 09:28 CST
From: S1FXK@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
Subject: Problems with Zortech

Some time ago, I bought the C++ compiler from Zortech, a Massachussetts
company. The compiler had gotten pretty good reviews in Byte, and it was
cheap. It seemed to work as advertised.

I did not get around to playing with it until fairly recently, and was
appalled at the floating point numbers it has. (This is important to me).
There is absolutely no error checking, neither in emulator mode nor using
the 80287 chip. For example,

                1. / 0. = 2 zillion something or other

Zortech advertises a ``FREE technical support hotline'' (sic) from 9am to
5pm weekdays. I must have called that number a dozen times over the last
several weeks. Every single time, ``they are not in yet'', ``they are out
for lunch'', ``they are in California for a two week meeting'' (I am not
making this up), ``they are busy and will call you back''. Once, they
actually did call back, after I had a serious talk with a supervisor. So
far, they could not come up with any explanation or solution.  As far as I
am concerned, their ``FREE technical support hotline'' is a big joke.

I have two questions:

1. Am I the only person ever to use floating point numbers with this
compiler ? Has anybody else ever tried this ? Any hints ?

2. Does anybody have any information on Zortech in general ? Has anybody
ever gotten through to their hotline ? Do they actually support their
products after they sell them ?

Fritz Keinert                         s1.fxk@isumvs.bitnet
Department of Mathematics             s1fxk@vaxd.iastate.edu
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011                        phone:(515) 294-5128

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 19:01:16 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>

Does anyone know how I can subscribe to the Prolog & Prolog-Hackers
mailing lists?  I use Turbo Prolog, but I seem to be unable to get on
either list, probably because the address I have is invalid or outdated.
Are there any Prolog people in IBM land on the list?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 10:49:26 MET
From: ACEVERJ%HUTRUU0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Replies to the digest '89 Mr. Curt Priest

I completely agree with Mr. Priest. What is the use of a discussing forum
such as this if replies are mainly posted directly to the questioners?  I
would sure be nice to see some more answers here. Besides, if you ask me,
there's something less than nice in queries like: "As I don't subscribe to
this list, email me directly". If you don't subscribe to this list, how
come you're posing a question? If you don't subscribe, well, don't use it
then.

Regards,
Jaap Verhage <ACEVERJ@HUTRUU0.BITNET>
Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.

[Those types of questions are not being included at present.  I know that
some have slipped past, but a person can be at a host, read the Digest on
their local bulletin board and reply to the Digest...  How do you draw the
line?  A person may say that they're not a 'subscriber', but still be one
and not know it...]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89  14:06:27 EDT
From: VYS%NIHCU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: SciMate / IBMPC-L

In IBMPB-Info Digest 89/89 I found your question about SciMate Manager
replacement software. Well, as far as I know each *REGISTERED* user has
received (many times) information and upgrade offers for upgrading ISI
SciMate software to the products of Personal Bibliographic Software (PBS)
for a special price. The Manager + Editor is replaced by Pro-Cite and the
Searcher by Pro-Search. As an extra Biblio-Link is available. The options
and capacities of the new packages are more powerfull compared to the
'old' ISI products.  If they suit you, I don't know of course.  I advise
you to contact Personal Biobliographic Software, Inc., P.O. BOX 4250, Ann
Arbor, MI48106, tel (313)996-1580.

P.S. I speaking for myself as a user of ISI SciMate Manager and Editor. No
dependabilities to ISI or PBS from my side.

Sincerely,
Pim Clotscher
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Dept. Biochemistry II
CLOTSCHER@HROEUR51.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 17:06:02 CDT
From: CMS1057%UWF.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: RE: Wordstar v5 and star LC-10 printers

WS v5 problem,
  setting wordstar v5 to recognize the printer setup is a difficult
because it requires that it be done in a round about way.

What it involves is generating a patch table from inside the wschange
program. The patch program will generate a list of codes that can be
interpreted from the assembler listing of all the patch codes which came
with your version of wordstar. Most the code from the generated patch file
(which you create) is just numbers and patch labels like:
JPKFM=002723152854.....etc   (not a real patch)

Which corresponds to the assembeler listing that came with your WSv5.  The
first number is the length (ie. 00) and the rest is the code.

 Insert the patches and then run the patch install to change the ws.exe
file with the new patches you have made.

  If you have questions consult your WS mannual on patches if it's too
confusing send me mail and I explain how to do it directly to you as not
to tie up the info-ibmpc with our conversation.

Mark
cms1057@uwf.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 10 Oct 89 11:33:39 EDT
From: RSPELLMAN@bat.bates.edu
Subject: X11 server for PCs wanted

Does anybody have any information on X Windows packages which run on
XT/ATs?  I have heard that a company called Integrated Inference Machines
has a package which runs ontop of MS Windows, and runs on an AT.  Does
anybody have an address for these folks?

Thanks

Rob Spellman
RSpellman@Bat.Bates.edu
Bates College Computing Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 16:40:16 CDT
From: CMS1057%UWF.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: RE: Printer driver for NEC printer

Brett,
after every printed line, try checking the following.

     1) dip switches not set right (allows a linefeed <LF> after each
printed line of info.)

     2) an extra <LF> sent to you from a print driver program such as
windows.

Hope this helps.
Mark
cms1057@uwf.bitnet