Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/04/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  3 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue  94

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
           Driver for 3 COM 3C505 Card under NCSA Telnet??
             FV122.ARC, SPLIT49.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20
                       'MACRO' Key on Keyboard
             Info wanted: SuperDOS & language translator
    INTER589.ARC - Comprehensive listing of IBMPC interrupt calls
                           XT Clone Speedup
          Phil Katz's PKZIP/PKUNZIP v1.02 for MSDOS and OS2
              Changes to Network Software at SIMTEL20
                          Re:  XT speedup
                            Posting Query
             Printing on an Epson 810 from inside Windows
                       Question about Database
                     Some questions answered.....
                         TSR cookbook needed
                            Why use SHARE?

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 13:01 EDT
From: TNIELAND@AAMRL.AF.MIL
Subject: Driver for 3 COM 3C505 Card under NCSA Telnet??

Is there a driver from the 3 COM 3C505 card for NCSA Telnet?  I have seen
a driver for the 3C503 and support for the 3C501 is built in.  Anyone seen
such a driver?

Ted Nieland  (513) 427-6355
TNIELAND@AAMRL.AF.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1989  12:16 MDT
From: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Subject: FV122.ARC, SPLIT49.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.arc-lbr>
FV122.ARC       View dirs of ARC/DWC/LBR/LZH/PAK/ZIP/ZOO/SFXs

If you have been looking for a program to set the MSDOS directory time to
the latest member file inside these types of archives, look no further.
Vernon Buerg has added that feature to FV.  See the documentation for
details.

<msdos.filutl>
SPLIT49.ARC     Split large binary or text into smaller files

This update is a bug fix.  If you have an earlier version of this program
you should get this.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@smoke.brl.mil, w8sdz@sadis01.af.mil
w8sdz@tacom-emh1.army.mil, w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu, w8sdz@unix.secs.oakland.edu
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 89 19:56:47 pdt
From: Doug Marshall <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
Subject: Macro Key

>From: Brian Piersel <S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

>I just purchased a Packard Bell AXCEL V computer. The keyboard, which is a
>101-key extended keyboard, has an extra key (making it 102 keys, I
>suppose). This key is in the lower left-hand corner of the keyboard, and
>labelled "MACRO." I can't find any explanation of that key. What does it
>do?

I also have a MACRO key on my keyboard. It's made by BTC. The docs say the
MACRO key is for running BTC's software: MacroKey, a user-defined keyboard
program. I have enough challenges with the one I've got :-) By any chance
is your keyboard made by BTC?

Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Oct 89 00:58:00 EDT
From: "Jacques Beland (a.k.a. Mickey) Trent University" <BELANDJ@TrentU.CA>
Subject: Info wanted: SuperDOS & language translator

I am looking for information on:

1) SuperDOS. Has anybody out in netland used this beast, and got some good
horror stories? Here is my situation: someone has an AT that is running
SuperDOS with some custom written software on it. This person would like
to attach this machine into a Novell network running Ethernet (mind you,
NetWare for VMS). Apparently SuperDOS only supports ARCnet (how, I don't
know). Can applications written for SuperDOS run under "normal DOS"??
Does anyone have a phone/fax number for the people who makes SuperDOS?

2) Does anyone know of a translator program that will translate/convert
Business Basic (on a Data General, MV10000) to (ANSI) C or Pascal? We
would like to port some codes from the DG to a VAX and would like to go
with C (I have a Pascal to C translator which can help a little).

Thanks for any information you can supply.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1989  21:20 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: INTER589.ARC - Comprehensive listing of IBMPC interrupt calls

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 02:20:47 EDT
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: XT Clone Speedup

Tom,
  I noticed your request on Info-IBMPC Digest.  I have delt with the
upgrade path for several people and have upgraded my IBM-AT with an
inboard 386.

  The question which I don't know in your case is the following:  Are your
graphics problems compute bound or buss bound.  i.e. is most of the time
being spent displaying the graphics or computing them.  I will quickly
address each case:

  Case 1, Compute Bound: The V20 chip will give about a 20% improvement in
performance which fairly marginal.  After a while you will not notice that
it is 'speeded up'.  I have found that if a speedup is not giving a factor
of 2 or more improvement then things are getting incremental and generally
not worth the trouble if it is a human waiting.

    The 8087 Chip can do wonders if the software makes good use of it.
This is the case for programs which make heavy use of exponentials, sines,
and cosines.  For addition and subtraction it is again a small increase.

    286 speedup boards can do amazing things, however, make sure that the
problem is not buss bound.  These boards make use of the original IO
capabilities of your machine and cannot speed up any IO.

    If you are looking seriously at the last, I would look into Intel's
Inboard 386/PC.  While I have not used this board, the Inboard 386/AT has
done me extremely well.  I think that the cost is of the order of 600-700
and you get a full blown 386 processor running at 16mhz with 1 Mb of 32bit
ram upgradable to 5 Mb.  Again, be sure that you have a compute bound
problem.  This board could give as much as a 16X improvement in processing
speed!

  Case 2, Buss bound: The only real option in this case is to replace the
motherboard.  In the case of a clone computer there is not the problem of
trying to stay true IBM.  One board which I would recommend is one which
can use old 150ns ram from your PC, the original hard disk and floppy
controller and all of the other components.  I think with no memory it
runs about $230 and can even use your existing keyboard.  The advantage
here is that the buss is running at 10mhz and 16bit

    You could also look at 386 and 386sx replacement motherboards.  I am a
strong believer in the 386 instruction set.  While I think that the
craving for the greatest and most powerful gets at some times a little
silly.  Take the 33mhz 386 monsters for example, however, there is a
growing pool of wonderful software which will only run on a 386 or 386sx.
Of these are: Mathematica!, Windows 386 (Could be nice some day), Paradox
386, and several others.

  At any rate, I hope that this has been helpful.  If I can be of any
assistance please feel free to send me mail or contact me other ways.

David M. Zielke
zielke@physics.phy.duke.edu
Department of Physics
Duke University
Durham, NC 27706
919-684-8285

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1989  12:11 MDT
From: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Subject: Phil Katz's PKZIP/PKUNZIP v1.02 for MSDOS and OS2

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20, obtained directly from
Phil Katz:

pd1:<msdos.zip>
PKZ102.EXE      Phil Katz's ZIP archive package version 1.02

pd1:<msdos.os2>
PKZ102-2.EXE    Phil Katz's ZIP v1.02 archive package for OS2

[Included in the self extracting archive is a WHATSNEW file describing
bug fixes, software changes, questions and answers, as well as 'work
arounds' for those of you with 80386 computers... The entire text of this
file is available with the update.  gph]

From the WHATSNEW file, which is included inside these self-extracting
archives:

Version 1.02 is a minor bug fix for version 1.01 of PKZIP, PKUNZIP, and
ZIP2EXE for the MS-DOS software; and PKSFX and ZIP2EXE for the OS/2
software.  No new features have been added to the software in this
release.

Those who have registered version 1.0x and are due a free upgrade will
receive PKZIP/PKUNZIP/PKSFX(R) etc. version 1.1, with manual, when it
becomes avaliable.

MS-DOS
======

New files:  PKZIP.EXE, PKUNZIP.EXE, ZIP2EXE.EXE, BIOSFIX.COM
            REZIP.ZIP, MAKESFX.COM

All other files are the same as for version 1.01.

Description of changes

  o An updated version of Thomas Atkinson's REZIP is included with this
version, that properly handles paths stored within a .ZIP file.

  o Several people have reported problems with PKZIP/PKUNZIP 1.01 on 80386
computers, especially with disk caching programs using EXTended memory,
such as Super PC-Kwik.  'Work-around' info supplied.

  o Using the "-c" option with PKZIP 1.01 could, in very rare instances,
cause random corruption of the .ZIP file.

  o MS-DOS 3.3 and 4.x, and SHARE problems

  o ZIP2EXE 1.01 could, on occasion, erroneously report that the .ZIP file
it was converting contained Reduced files.

  o PKZIP 1.01 and networking problems

OS/2 New files:  PKSFX2.PRG, PKSFXF.PRG, ZIP2EXE.EXE; All other files are
the same as for version 1.01.

Description of changes

  o The same condition reported above for ZIP2EXE could also occur with
the OS/2 version of ZIP2EXE.

  o The PKSFX2 and PKSFXF programs would fail if the self- extracting file
contained more than approximately 50 files.  This was due to an anomoly
between memory allocation under MS-DOS vs OS/2, and has been corrected in
this release.

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1989  12:11 MDT
From: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Subject: Changes to Network Software at SIMTEL20

SIMTEL20 has made some changes in its network software.  If you have given
up on us because of slow throughput or hung connections with FTP, please
try again.  Don't forget to use tenex mode when getting binary files.
Comments and complaints about ftp should be sent to
Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil.

Some users have complained about not being able to send mail to my
SIMTEL20 address because of gateway problems.  I have included some
alternatives in my signature below.

Date: Mon,  9 Oct 89 15:35 EDT
From: "Daniel L. Krus" <D_KRUS%UNHH.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re:  XT speedup

Tom

   When I had an 8088, I did both, add a V20 and an 8087.  The V20 did
increase the speed of something.  I don't know if the speed increase was
just cosmetic or actually functional (i.e., throughput, ...).  I've read
reports that say a V20 does not actually add to the performance of the
computer.  It sure made me feel good though.

   The 8087 was essential, especially with ANY math function.  Depending
on the program, the 8087 will increase the speed of calculations from 10
to 100 fold.  In screen plotting or graphing you'll actually SEE the
difference.

   Really, your only choice is to buy an 8087 or upgrade your computer.
By upgrading, I don't necessarily mean buying an add-on board but actually
buying an 286, 386SX, or 386.  I upgraded my 8088/8MHz + 8087/8MHz to a
386SX/16MHz + 387/16MHz.  I personally am not in favor of add-on boards
for upgrading.

  Remember, this is my opinion; I hope it helped.

                                Dan

Bitnet:      D_KRUS@unhh.bitnet               | Daniel L. Krus               |
Internet:    D_KRUS%unhh.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu| Parsons Hall                 |
Compuserve:  72621,1300                       | Department of Chemistry      |
----------------------------------------------| U of New Hampshire           |
 "I use to be disgusted but now I             | Durham, New Hampshire  03824 |
        try to be amused"   ->   E. Costello  | (603) 862-2521               |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 16:59:43 MDT
From: rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard Travsky)
Subject: Posting Query

A recent posting said you guys like to be notified about FTPing problems.
I have often experienced the connection hanging or going away altogether
(this is assuming I was able to get in at all).  So much so that I have
given up on using SIMTEL.

[See Keith Petersen's message about recent upgrades to the network
server software at Simtel20.]

Richard Travsky                   __ /
Computer Services                  o.O
University of Wyoming            ={___}=
Bitnet:   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO            U
Internet: RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU

The following was recently released for the Internet Resource Guide by the
NSF Network Service Center concerning the Washington University Public
Domain Archives.  Of particular note was the plan to mirror the SIMTEL
holdings.  The SIMTEL MSDOS software is already present.  For those
frustrated (as is myself) with the difficulties of Anonymous FTP to
SIMTEL,  this is quite welcome.

        Washington University Public Domain Archives

Address:
Washington University
Office of the Network Coordinator
One Brookings Drive
Campus Box 1045
St. Louis, Missouri USA 63130-4899

Mail: archives@wugate.wustl.edu Phone: (314) 362-6186

Description

A huge archive of public domain and shareware software,  including
complete collections of most of the source and binary groups from USENET,
as well as an official mirror copy of the Info-Mac archives.  Also
maintained in the archive is the complete source to TeX and the X
windowing system (Version 11R3) and all of the GNU Project Software.  A
complete set of the Request For Comment (RFCs) documents,  and Internet
Experiment Notes (IENs) may also be found in the archives.

Other things maintained in the archives include:

     >  UUPC (A clone of the UNIX 'UUCP') for most personal computers
     >  The latest Sun EXchange Tape
     >  The public portions of the Berkeley 4.3BSD Tahoe release
     >  Public Domain implementations of TCP/IP (KA9Q and NCSA) for the IBM PC.
     >  A collection of GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) pictures.

Most of the files in the archive are compressed using the UNIX 'compress'
util- ity to save space.  If you are unable to decompress files from the
archive and and need copies of a limited number of files,  send e-mail to
archives@wugate.wustl.edu to make special arrangements.

Network Access

The archives are currently accessible through anonymous FTP from
wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4].

If sufficient bandwidth is available and network administrators don't
object, members of MIDNET may mount the archives on their system using
NFS.

Who Can Use The Archive
Anyone may use the archives freely at any time.

Miscellaneous Information

Current plans for expansion of the archives include:

     > Making recent DECUS (Digital Equipment Corp. User Society) tapes
       available.
     > Adding more PC (Amiga, Apple II,  Atari,  IBM PC, Macintosh) archives
       from User's Groups.
     > Mirroring additional valuable archives,  including the
       WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL archives.

Ideas and requests for additional archives are always welcome.  In
particular, any MIDNET archive site which would like to exchange archives
via NFS is asked to send mail to archives@wugate.wustl.edu

------------------------------

Date: 9 October 1989 13:49:22 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Printing on an Epson 810 from inside Windows

I have 2 IBM model 30-286s with 1MB ram and 20MB Harddrive ( the old 8ms
ones).  I also have 1 Epson 810 printer connected to a man. switch box ( 4
in to 1 out) PS/2 A is at the end of a 30 foot printer cable and PS/2 B is
at the end of a 5 foot cable.  They meet at the switch box and go another
5 feet to the printer.

Every thing prints fine from PS/2 A ( at 35 feet away ) but not from PS/2 B.

We are using Excel and Paint when these problems occur.  Now for the
problems, when printing with the spooler enabled a error box 'pops' up
"Cannot write to LPT1" after a few lines are printed.  I select RETRY and
the printer will contiune until a few more lines and the box pops up
again.  What is weird is that the first time the printer stops its always
at the same stop in each document, but when it fails the second ( 3rd,
4th...) time it stops at different points.

When the spooler is disabled the document will print normally until that
first point ( same point as above ) when it hits that place garbage is
printed for a few lines and then normal printing will resume.  The same
garbage will occur at random places after the first point.

We've disconected the switch box and ran directly from PS/2 to 810 with no
change in the above mentioned problem.  The problems only occur on the one
PS/2 (B).  I've reformatted B's HD and restored a backup of A's HD on to B
but the problem still persists.

The above problems also occur when tryng to print files created with the
windows paint program.  This leads me to believe that the windows pacakge
is the culprit ( as opposed to Excel).

Side note, printing a large ascii file from DOS(4.02) print cmd. works and
printing a 9 page document from Word 5 also works.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

 Bob Johnson << u27745 at uicvm >> or << u27745@uicvm.uic.edu >>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Oct 89 16:28:27 MEZ
From: Konrad Neuwirth <A4422DAE%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Question about Database

hi,
  I was given the task to set up a database for the administration of a
library (max. 7000 Books). I know what I want it to do, but I need the
right tool for it. What it has to do is:

  .) Add books to the list
  .) Remove books from list
  .) Have a lending list (who has got which book with links to book list)
  .) Have searches
  .) List of lent books
  .) Listof all books lent up to a certain date (for reminders)
  .) And a nice user interface.

I know I could use every realational database, and the prototyping is done
using PC:file. The system has the problem of allowing too much for the end
user. I could use macros, but the menu-screens are too overcrowded for my
enduser. I also need a standard file format linke desperately as the
system has to interface to the Videx TimeWand system (offlink bar-code
readers). The book data needed is author, title, publisher, year, number
of volumes, probably ISBN, price, where purchased and maybe some keywords,
but the last things are not mandatary. I would apprechiate a PD or
shareware system as it is done within a very tight bugdet range. (my
current budget is $00.00. I have to fight for every penny). I need this
very desperately as this system also is a bit of political fight (i'm a
student competiting against a teacher).

Please help!
Konrad Neuwirth (a4422dae at awiuni11.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 9 October 1989 19:21:32 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Some questions answered.....

Subject: Speeding up a XT

An 8087 won't help if the program wasn't written to use the 8087.

If you are doing a lot of disk I/O then you might consider getting a
faster hard drive. If you 'read' in one picture at a time ( from the hard
drive ) you should be able to see an improvment in speed.

Subject: viruses

There is a virus list that you might want to subscribe to ( and/or post
the same question).

Subscribe by :
TELL LISTSERV AT LEHIIBM1 /SUB VIRUS-L your name

The List owner has just left on vacation ( 2 weeks i think ) so out going
mail and subscriptions will be delayed .

Subject: Model 70 memory

IBM supplies some campuses with PS/2s and parts at about 40% off list
price ( here a 1MB upgrade in $417).  You might want to check them out.

The memory is a standard SIMM.  (85ns) 9x1Mb is the 'size'; where the simm
is comprised of 9 1 megaBIT 'chips'.

Don't get the 8x1Mb, they are for apple Macs.  IBM uses the 9th chip for
memory parity checks.

  Regards,
      Bob

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Oct 89 18:06 EDT
From: Boebert@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject: TSR cookbook needed

Can somebody recommend a good writeup on TSR programs, written for the
beginning PC hacker?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 13:31:06 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Why use SHARE?

When I boot Dos 4.01 with a disk larger than 30MB, I get a message saying
that SHARE is required for large media.  I know how to install it using
the INSTALL command in CONFIG.SYS, but it requires 6K of Dos memory.  The
question is, what trouble will I get into if I do not use this on a
single-user, non-networked machine?  Thank you for any help.

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 89 16:15:33 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB%WUVMD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>

>Subject: First cluster of a file
>
>I need to write a small, C callable routine that, given a file name,
>outputs the number of the first cluster on disk of the file.  Is there
>something like a DOS/Bios call that I can use for this purpose?

Not that I've been able to find. I ended up chasing FAT chains in order to
do this. If anyone knows an easier way to do this, I'd like to know, too.

Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD.BITNET

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------