Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/10/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 10 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue 100

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                        A/D conversion cards?
                    Directory Layout for Simtel20
                         GAWK and COMMAND.COM
                       Problems with AutoMenu 4.5
                        HP ColorPro Connection
            Redirecting timer interrupt for writing to disk
                  Request for info on Mice (Mouses?)
                               MIDI
                               modem
                            Mouse problem
                       MS-Windows screen fonts
                          PC-Mag's EMS40.SYS
                          Wuarchive and NFS
             Re: Word Processor for very large (~10M) files
                  IBM PC, Jr.-RS232 Cable Connections

New programs:
          ANARKEY3.ARC and PCTAGS1.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20
      APPENV21.ARC - Append text to environment variables, v2.1
         GT 15.01 Communications package uploaded to SIMTEL20
    ISIGNS50.ARC - Mark banners (down page) & signs (across page)

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX for listing of source files)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 11:22 O
From: <LING%FINUJO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: A/D conversion cards?

Could anybody tell me something about A/D-converters available for the PC,
prices, possible good/bad experiences etc.?  Speech analysis is what I am
interested in, so the A/D card should provide for sampling rates above 10
kHz and a resolution of at least 12 bit.

All sort of information will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,   Stefan Werner                   werner@finujo.BITNET
                        Phonetics laboratory            werner@ujocs.joensuu.fi
                        Univ. of Joensuu, Finland

------------------------------

Date: Wed Oct 25 08:31:07 1989
From: taclgqp@lognet2.af.mil (Cpt Glen Marumoto)
Subject: Directory Layout for Simtel20

In a past issue of Info-IBM (I don't know which one), I saw a directory
layout of Simtel20 in regards to what PD1, PD2, etc..  are and such other
stuff to better get around when using FTP.  I thought I kept that issue,
but I guess I didn't because I can't find it.  Would you be so kind as to
either reply once again or tell me which issue in the archives it is in?
Also what is the latest update to the SIMIBM.IDX?  Many thanks in advance.

Glen S. Marumoto
HQ TAC/LGQP
Langley AFB, VA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 00:39:28 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: GAWK and COMMAND.COM

I have a problem with GAWK.  It is possible to call GAWK like this:
GAWK "{print}" infile

Under UNIX it should be single quotes instead of double quotes.  Using
single quotes in MSDOS gives an error message from GAWK referring to -
(minus signs).

So it seems that COMMAND.COM is translating double quotes into single
quotes when passing the command line parameters to GAWK.  The problem is
that double quotes also would be needed within the command line and that
does not work.

Does anybody know a workaround?

Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

Date: Thu Oct 26 21:10:55 1989
From: gautier@lognet2.af.mil (SrA Richard A. Gautier)
Subject: Problems with AutoMenu 4.5

  I just downloaded and tried to use AutoMenu 4.5, but it freezes solid on
me  as soon as I hit ? (i.e. the little help menu pops up, and then I
can't do anything except HARDWARE boots)..I have PC-Tools 5.2 loaded up in
memory (small option) and PC-Tools Desktop as well.  When I take these
out, I don't have this problem with Automenu 4.5...Does anyone know a
better way to correct this problem?  As AutoMenu isn't a Memory Resident
prog, I can't just change the order they're loaded in..

Richard A. Gautier, SrA, USAF
ARPA: gautier@lognet2.af.mil
U.S. Snail:
Richard A. Gautier, PSC Box 1251, APO SF 96366

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 89 14:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: HP ColorPro Connection

    I would like to thank everyone for their help with connecting our
HP ColorPro to our IBM PC/AT. The main problem was the different pin
assignment in the 9 pin and the 25 pin connectors. For future reference,
the following set up is what is needed:

             IBM PC/AT                         HP ColorPro
               9 pin                             25 pin
            -----------                       -------------
           2 (rec. data)     ------------     2 (send data)
           3 (send data)     ------------     3 (rec. data)
           5 (sig. grnd)     ------------     7 (sig. grnd)
           6 (DSR)           -|----------
           8 (CTS)           -|----------    20 (DTR)

    The above set up is for DTE (data terminal equipment) devices which
includes most printers, plotters, etc. For DCE (data communications equip.)
such as modems, etc., pins 2 & 3 and 8 & 20 need to be swapped on the
25 pin connector side.

    Once again, many thanks to all those who helped !

Sincerely,
John Duchowski

------------------------------

Date: 26 Oct 89 08:30:44 GMT
From: tnosoes!michael@relay.EU.net (Michael Holewijn)
Subject: redirecting timer interrupt for writing to disk

We are searching a routine which redirects the timer interrupt for writing
data to disk every 5 min. This routine must run under most MS-DOS
applications.

We tried to use BIOS INT 26 in the timer interrupt routine (INT 05).

Thanks in advance,

michael Holewijn
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23                     Phone: +31 3463 56330
3769 DE  Soesterberg            E-mail: tnosoes!michael@mcvax.uucp
The Netherlands                     or: uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!michael
                                    or: tnosoes!michael@mcvax.cwi.nl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 89 17:37:39 MEZ
From: Ewald JENISCH <A4421DAD%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Request for info on Mice (Mouses?)

I'm about to buy a mouse for my PC at home. As far as I know the
Logi-mouse is less expensive that the Microsoft Mouse -- are there any
drawbacks, i.e.  incompatibilities, or can the Logi-Mouse be used with all
the software that supports the MS-Mouse?

My special interest is to use the Mouse for MS-Word 5.0 and Microsoft C
5.0.  Any ideas, suggestions are welcome...

Ewald JENISCH
Institute of Statistics & Computer Science
Univ. of Vienna, Austria
(A4421DAD@AWIUNI11.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 14:43:17 EDT
From: Chris Lohroff <lohroff@cs.hope.edu>
Subject: MIDI

I have done a lot of work with a program called M.E.S.A. from Roland
Corporation.  It incorporates a sequencer, musical editor, and the final
result is an impressive piece of sheet music.  The program is quite
powerful but the documentation is a bit lacking.  I have heard of a number
of other commercial packages as well.  As far as PD software there is a
number of interesting programs available through the Internet.  I believe
SIMTEL-20 has a directory somewhere with many MIDI programs.

If you have any questions involving specific hardware or software I use I
would be happy to answer them if possible.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 89 17:49 EDT
From: V108JP96@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Mouse problem

      I own a PC-XT clone, sold by Tussey Computer Products under the
brand-name Swan, XT-10.  The system is 10Mhz, 640k RAM, 30Meg Seagate Hard
Drive, Packard- Bell amber monitor with a HGC (compatible or real, I'm not
sure). I use Dos3.1 The processor is an 8088-1, and the co-processor is an
8087-1.

      I recently purchased and installed  a Logitech Bus-Mouse, which I
intend to use with VersaCad, a CAD 2d and 3d drafting program.  The mouse
works on all the other applications that I have that can use a mouse, and
I've written a few menus for using it with other programs I have.  The
drafting program works fine when using the keyboard for input.  But add
the mouse, and it's no go.

     The drafting program is VersaCad, version 5.4 .  There is an
environment set-up portion, running as a separate program called ENVIRO
which is part of the VersaCad package, called from the batch file that
also calls the main program.  It creates a file  called , I think
ENVIRO.CFG, which contains information on the input device, the graphics
output, and the plotter and printer being used.  Selecting keyboard as the
input device, and herc.com as the video driver, the program works just
fine.  For mouse input, the program recognizes the follow- ing Logitech
mice: R7, R9, C9.  They all seem to be serial mice, since they all use the
COM1 serial port.  I called Logitech, and they told me to specify the
MicroSoft Bus Mouse in the environment set up, which uses a VersaCad file
called MCROSMSE.OVT  They also said to remove all Ram-resident
programming, which I had already done. (I was using the ANSI.SYS driver,
and an autopark utility, in addition to the mouse driver, which last I
still needed to use the mouse.) Didn't help.

      What happens is, the 2d program loads correctly when chosen from the
main menu, the screen clears, and I get the message across the bottom
"Please wait while the workfile is being loaded..."  The hard drive works
for a second or two, as it normally does when using the keyboard, but then
the upper half or so of the screen becomes a series of vertical lines,
with some being a little bit wider in spots.  The mouse has no effect, and
when I press keys on the keyboard, something happens to the wide portions
on the vertical lines, sort of like something is being printed on the
screen, but I can't see anything there.  The only way I can get out is to
reboot.

      What could be causing this?  Has anyone had or heard of a similar
problem?  How can I correct it?  If anyone knows how to fix this, please,
please tell me.

Thank You
Roy Clay

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 13:10:21 EDT
From: Michael Nosal <ST502042@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: MS-Windows screen fonts

I am looking for any PD fonts for windows in the 36-72 pt sizerange. If
anybody knows of such fonts or knows where I could find them, I would
greatly appreciate it. I need them to help a visually impaired user who
works with MS Windows 2.1 and needs the largest size he can get. If
pre-defined fonts aren't available, where can I get a font editor for
MS-windows?

Thanks in advance
Michael Nosal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 09:54:23 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: PC-Mag's EMS40.SYS

Has anyone tried using PC-Magazine's EMS40.SYS yet?  It doesn't seem to
work on my PS/2 70 (a 25MHz 80386 machine).  Is this only for 80286
machines?  Applications recognize the existence of the memory, but any
attempt to use it causes a crash.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 4:06:55 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Wuarchive and NFS

From: Chris Myers <chris@wugate>

>[...] All
>sites which are currently NFS mounting the archives should modify their file
>system mount tables to reflect these changes:
>
>       /archive is being split into two (2) partitions, and /archive/pub will
>       no longer be a separate partition.
>
>       /archive
>       /archive/systems

Remember this?  Well, I guessed wrong...  It turned out that splitting the
single archive partition worked better if I split it into /archive and
/archive/mirrors.  /archive/systems is *NOT* a partition by itself.

Here are some example /etc/fstab entries.  The first one is for Ultrix,
which should be compatible with any 4.2BSD system and the second is for
4.3BSD UNIX.

4.2BSD and Ultrix:

   /archive@wuarchive:/archive:ro:0:0:nfs:bg,soft,intr:
   /archive/mirrors@wuarchive:/archive/mirrors:ro:0:0:nfs:bg,soft,intr:

4.3BSD:

   wuarchive:/archive         /archive          nfs rw,noquota,soft,intr,bg 0 0
   wuarchive:/archive/mirrors /archive/mirrors  nfs rw,noquota,soft,intr,bg 0 0

Please feel free to mount the archive partitions at any time.  Wuarchive
is up and running and ready to service your every request... If you do
mount the archive partitions, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IT IS SOFT MOUNTED.

Also, here are two scripts that we make available to our users, modified
to accomodate the latest changes:

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

----- start of 'march' -----
#! /bin/sh
/usr/etc/mount -o ro,soft,intr,bg,timeo=4,retry=2
wuarchive:/archive /wuarchive/archive ; \

[Above two lines should really be ONE line.  Broke at the space for BITNET]

/usr/etc/mount -o ro,soft,intr,bg,timeo=4,retry=2
wuarchive:/archive/mirrors /wuarchive/archive/mirrors &

[Above two lines should really be ONE line.  Broke at the space for BITNET]

----- end of 'march' -----
----- start of 'umarch' -----
#! /bin/sh
/usr/etc/umount /wuarchive/archive/mirrors ; /usr/etc/umount
/wuarchive/archive &

[Above two lines should really be ONE line.  Broke at the space for BITNET]

----- end of 'umarch' -----

Be sure to 'mkdir /wuarchive ; mkdir /wuarchive/archive ; chmod 755
/wuarchive  /wuarchive/archive'  -David-

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 21:07:36 EDT
From: don@neural.att.com (Donnie Henderson)
Subject: Transfer of a Byte Per Pixel Array to The EGA Display

I need to be able to transfer a image array having a "byte per pixel"
format to a EGA display. I am working with a AT&T 6386, using  Microsoft
ver 5.1 "C" compiler.  My image array is a char* , indexed  myimage[x][y].

It turns out MSC-5.1 has routines (_getimage(),_putimage()) which
respectively suck a portion of the EGA screen into a array, and display a
array of data (saved by _getimage). What I had originally hoped to do was
simply pack a array of my "byte per pixel" data into one of their "image"
arrays, and simply call their _putimage() routine to display it FAST.  The
problem is, Microsoft refuses to tell me how they format the data in the
image arrays used by these routines!

I did manage to figure out their image array data format for a CGA display
mode, but the EGA mode looks much more difficult. If anyone has done
something similar on EGA, I would like to hear from you.

On the other hand, if anyone has suggestions on how my problem might be
handled otherwise, please respond.........(HELP!) The keyword here is
SPEED. I need to be able to display blocks of pixel data with speed
approaching that of a screen clear.

Thank You in Advance
D.Henderson
AT&T Bell Labs
201-949-4591
homxc!dldd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 10:36 PDT
From: Don R. Johnson <drj@GODZILLA.SCH.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: Word Processor for very large (~10M) files

    Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 17:30:38 EDT
    From: mlsmith@NADC.ARPA (M. Smith)

	I have been using windows write to cut up some large files. But it
    dies somewhere around 2 Megabytes. Microsoft Word fails to repaginate at 5
    Megabytes, but does not fail hard until 9 Megabytes. Does anyone know of a
    word processor that will handle files greater than 10 Megabytes?

					    Mark L. Smith
					    Naval Air Development Center
					    Code 5053
					    Warminster, PA 18974-5000
					    AV 441-2454

    ------------------------------
I have used Epsilon quite successfully in the past, but not
on files quite that large. As far as I know, it has no file
length limitations. It is an excellent "programmer's" editor,
not intended for the same task as the word processing programs
that you are currently using. You could probably ask them about
your file length problem over the phone. Try 412-421-5911.
I have no connection with them, but I do like the software.

					D.R. Johnson
					Symbolics Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 89 10:58 EDT
From: HRL%PSUARCH.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: IBM PC, Jr.-RS232 Cable Connections.

Need a wiring diagram for Subject.  Plugs are at ends of cable are female.
One plug is standard 25 Centronics "D" shape female.  Other plug is PC
Jr. rectangular shape with 16 female holes.  The latter is slightly
smaller than the same type plug for the monitor connection.  Does anyone
know how to specify the latter by number, etc.?  [At least this sems to be
the situation.]  We are trying to build the cable connector; and we need
a source for the latter part as well.  [This seems to be a specialized
IBM part, for it is unavailable from s source like Radio Shack.

This is a project that is being attempted by a 17 year old.  Thanks for
your help in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1989  00:54 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ANARKEY3.ARC and PCTAGS1.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20

Thanks to Harri Valkama <hv@uwasa.fi> for providing pointers to the
following files which he got direct from the author.  I have transferred
them to SIMTEL20.

<msdos.keyboard>
ANARKEY3.ARC    Command-line editor v3.00 by Steven Calwas

<msdos.pgmutl>
PCTAGS1.ARC     DOS & OS/2 source code retrieval system by Steven Calwas

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu, w8sdz@brl.arpa
BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1989  18:06 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: APPENV21.ARC - Append text to environment variables, v2.1

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1989  18:27 MDT