Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/17/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 16 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue 102

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                Back issues of INFO-IBMPC digest Available
                              Virus Scanners
                               RGB to NTSC
                     Tex Printer Drivers Archive Site
Today's Queries:
                     INT 10h Video help requested
                        Installing a Hard-card
             Redirecting timer interrupt for writing to disk
                                Postscript
                   Timing a commercial software package
New Program Uploads:
       FDFORM15.ARC - Format floppies for greater density/storage
         JMOD121 (JModem) and LYNX220 (Lynx) protocol programs
      WAF158.ARC - Waffle BBS v1.58, with UUCP mail & Usenet news

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1989 10:50:05 MEZ
From: Ewald JENISCH <A4421DAD%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Back issues of INFO-IBMPC digest Available

Hi folks,

Due to some network problems I am missing quite a lot of IBMPC-digests.
Does anybody out there in the netland know where one can get back issues
of this digest??

Anything (mail-server, FTP, etc.) will do...

Thanx,
Ewald JENISCH

Dept. of Statistics, Applied Mathematics & Computer Science
Univ. of Vienna, Austria, Europe
E-Mail: A4421DAD@AWIUNI11.BITNET      (Bitnet/Earn)
        A4421DAD@EDVZ.Uni-Wien.AC.AT  (Internet)

[Back issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.  Digests are
stored in files named <YEAR-MONTH>.X-TXT where X is a 1, 2, or 3 depending
on the number of Digests issued that month.  For instance, Digests
published in September 1989 are in file 8909.1-TXT.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 14:28 EDT
From: <ACSCS%SEMASSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Virus Scanners

Hello,
  Would anyone out there know if the location of an archieve area.  I am
using the VAX/VMS system on BITNET here at SMU.  I am interested in
finding some files to download to my IBMPC [virus scanners in particular].
I am sort of new to this BITNET thing, I would appreciate it if you could
tell me the address for an archieve area.

Thank you.
Chris Sullivan [ACSCS@SEMASSU]

[I forwarded you the Simtel-BITNET FTP file.  Specifically, you might want
to get files SCANRS49.ARC and SCANV49.ARC.  Both are in the
PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO> subdirectory.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Nov 89 17:12:16 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: RGB to NTSC

I have seen several questions related to monitor compatibilities, RGB, and
NTSC.  This month's Radio Electronics, December, 1989, page 81 has an
article and circuit for an RGB to NTSC converter.  The circuit takes
advantage of the Motorola MC1377 chip with about 2 dozen other components.
A complete kit is available for $29.95 plus $2.50 postage from RGB, 32
Wilson Ave. Trumbull, CT, 06611 (Telephone 203-374-7634).  "The circuit
could be adapted to RGB to PAL operation for use with European PC's."  The
circuit does not include provision for superimposing RGB onto an NTSC
signal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 89 20:56 CST
From: <SSP2537%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Tex Printer Drivers Archive Site

 Recently someone enquired about the archive site for Tex printer drivers.
Drivers for various printers can be found at SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU
(118.110.192.2) via anonymous ftp.

 P. Satya Srinivas  (SSP2537@TAMSIGMA.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  2 Nov 89 19:26 MDT
From: <CCGUEST%COLOSPGS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: INT 10h Video help requested

   By the way,  I am also interested in any information people have on the
Interrupt at 10h (Video).   I have a drawpt program that I copied from a
book that uses this but does not seem to work.

   Thank You,
          Orion Poplawski

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 89 09:21 N
From: <OHK_HV%HNYKUN51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Installing a Hard-card

Hello there,

I have I 20Mbyte hardcard from Western Digital I want to install into a
PC-XT. The PC-XT has allready a hard-disk installed. When I install the
hardcard (as drive D:) the disk on the card works fine, but the original
hard-disk (drive C:) has problems now. It takes a very long time for it to
find its tracks (index goes down from 1.5 to 0.6).

The controller of the hard-disk and the controller of the hard-card are on
different addresses.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone tell me what could be the problem.

Thanks,
HANS VERHOEVEN
BITNET/EARN      OHK_HV@HNYKUN51
DECnet/SURFnet   AZNVX1::OHK_HV
INTERnet  OHK_HV%HNYKUN51@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
Biophysics Lab. / Dept. of Ophthalmology / Univ. Hospital / Nijmegen |

[Hans: When you find out, please let us know.  I'm sure others of us have
had similar problems.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Nov 89 08:07:19 GMT
From: tnosoes!job@relay.EU.net (Job Looijenga)
Subject: Redirecting timer interrupt for writing to disk

We are searching a routine which redirects the timer interrupt for writing
data to disk every 5 min. This routine must run under most MS-DOS
applications.

We tried to use BIOS-CALL INT 26 in the timer interrupt routine (INT 05)
but this solution failed.

If anybody has a better solution please email me.

Thanks in advance,
Job
Job Looijenga                              Fax: +31 3463 53977
TNO Institute for Perception             Phone: +31 3463 56289
P.O. box 23                             E-mail: tnosoes!job!@mcvax.uucp
3769 DE  Soesterberg                        or: uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!job
The Netherlands                             or: tnosoes!job@mcvax.cwi.nl
                                            or: tnosoes!job@netherlands.eu.net

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 89 11:44 EST
From: V095JUHX@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Postscript

Has ANYONE ever printed postscript files produced on a micro on the VAX
LPS40's?  I've been trying forever, and I haven't been able to do it.
Please get back to me with any Ideas, I would really appreciate it.

                                              Jon Luntz
                                              V095JUHX

[Please cc: Info-IBMPC as well.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Nov 89 09:31:44 EST
From: egc@hr8top.att.com (Ellen G Cross)
Subject: timing a commercial software package

How would you go about recording the length of time a particular
commercial software package is running under MS-DOS?  A friend is lobbying
for a pc, and she needs to substantiate her case....  I'm more familiar
with UNIX than MS-DOS, so my standalone pc skills are quite rusty at this
point....

-Ellen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89   11:18 CET
From: WUERZ-W@vax.hmi.dbp.de

We are using a "LaserView Display Monitor LVM-00-1900" by SIGMA DESIGN on
a 386-system. It's a very nice display with just one (mayor) problem: We
have only a few device driver working with it, namely Ventura Publisher
1.1, Windows 1.04/2.03 (there are more delivered with the monitor, e.g.
GEM, but we don't use these products). In any other case, the monitor
emulates a Hercules-card, which works fine so far.

Our question: Has anyone written device-driver useable with other
software?  Does anyone know other SW which can use the hires-mode of this
monitor?  Has anyone written a graphic-library (namely, CLEAR_SCREEN,
PLOT_XY etc.), usable with Microsoft-FORTRAN or as a
Turbo-Pascal-4.0/5.0-unit etc.?

Thank you very much!
:-) Wolfgang Wuerz

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1989  23:37 MST