Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/24/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 23 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue 104

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                 Re: ^Z's to Prt/Con in TurboPascal v5
                Re: Finding the First cluster of a file
                   Re: Hercules graphics query, #096
              Ridding a disk of the Pakastani Brain Virus
                     Re: Replies to the digest '89
                         WordPerfect solutions
                  TROJAN Horse by the name of NORTSTOP
Today's Queries:
               Graphics Terminal Emulator for the PC/EGA
                  Need help reducing size of EXE file
                  Experience Building Digitizer Boards
         Modems, Commands and Protocols info sources requested
                      Project Management packages
                    Single Machine - Multiple Users
                 TeX to WordPerfect conversion program
           X-Modem, Y-Modem, Z-Modem and CompuServ B-Protocol
                        Speeding up a Zenith 157
New Programs:
          ALL.ARC - VMS-like DOS command line editor with recall
             FRAINT10.ARC, FRASRC10.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20
                     New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: 7 Nov 89 11:06:15 GMT
From: terra@diku.dk (Morten Welinder)
Subject: Re: ^Z's to Prt/Con in TurboPascal v5

Robert Bloom <rbloom@apg-emh1.apg.army.mil> writes:

>How do you output a CHR(26) in TurboPascal v5.0?  I'm writing a program
>that outputs graphical data and thus must be able to send all 256
>characters [CHR(0) through CHR(255)] to the printer...

The problem seems to be located in DOS. The call used by TP doesn't allow
^Z t get through when writing to a device. I wrote my own device driver
using one of the old calls.

Morten 'Sally' Welinder (terra@diku.dk)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 08:36:58 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB%wuvmd.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Finding the First cluster of a file

To those interested in getting the first cluster of a file:

The first cluster is stored in the FCB after an open or findfirst.  After
a little investigation, it seems that the best way to handle getting the
first cluster is to use findfirst/findnext, since this will allow us to
use the technique on either data files or subdirectory files. (OPEN does
not work on subdirectory entries.) DOS gives us the option of two FCB
formats- with extensions and without. Since the attribute byte is in the
extension, use the FCB with an extension by making the first byte 0xFF.

1 - create the FCB (or use the one created by DOS for command line args.)
2 - set the first byte to FF, to indicate an FCB with extension
3 - Set the attribute to indicate the type of file you are looking for
4 - Do a findfirst
5 - The first cluster is 2 bytes at 0x22 bytes offset from the first byte
of the FCB (the 0xFF byte).

Keep in mind that if you are looking for subdirectories,
findfirst/findnext returns all subdirectory entries AND file entries
matching the attribute- check the attribute after finding in order to make
sure you have a subdirectory.  Thanks to Gert for helping find this way of
getting the first cluster.

Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 09:03:18 -0500
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@arsocomvax.socom.mil>
Subject: Re: Hercules graphics query, #096

Brian Piersel asks how to use the graphics mode of his Hercules card.

I'd suggest he snarf HGCIBM.ARC (in <MSDOS.SCREEN> at SIMTEL20, I
believe).  It has Hercules and CGA emulation (as well as "off").  I use it
regularly to make my cheap Hercules clone card handle monochrome graphics,
and have found it to be the best of several Hercules graphics drivers.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@arsocomvax.socom.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 16:57 CST
From: The Beaver <JABUSSEY%UALR.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Ridding a disk of the Pakastani Brain Virus

   Does anyone know if there is a file on simtel20 that will disinfect a
Pakastani Brain Boot sector virus?

 Thanks in Advance
 Jacque Andre' Bussey
 Universit of Arkansas Little Rock

[Try file PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>MD.ARC.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89  15:07:12 EST
From: "Roger Fajman" <RAF@CU.NIH.GOV>
Subject: Re: Replies to the digest '89

> I completely agree with Mr. Priest. What is the use of a discussing
>  forum  such as this if replies are mainly posted directly to the
> questioners?  I  would sure be nice to see some more answers here.
> Besides, if you ask me,  there's something less than nice in queries like:
> "As I don't subscribe to  this list, email me directly". If you don't
> subscribe to this list, how  come you're posing a question? If you don't
> subscribe, well, don't use it  then.

The solution is simple:  reply to both the requestor and the digest, if
you think the reply is of general interest.

[Again, concur.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 21:14:00 EST
From: Colin Smith <COLIN%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: WordPerfect solutions

I hope this is helpful.

1. Jerry Katz - Storyboard+ to WordPerfect

   WordPerfect 5.0 has a utility called Grab.com which can be used to
"capture" any graphics screen and save it in a .WPG format.

2. Chris Sterritt - WordPerfect to MS-Word

   I have had quite alot of success with a package called Software Bridge.
PC Magazine rated it as one of the best file conversion utilities for the
purpose of WordPerfect to MS-Word format conversions (The issue was
published early in 1989 and the cover story was Data/File formats.  Sorry
I can't be more specific)

-Colin --O.
         O--

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 7 November 1989  10:33-MST
From: Mr J Vavrina <SDSV@MELPAR-EMH1.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TROJAN Horse by the name of NORTSTOP

I received this via Ham Radio.

Date: 05 Nov 89 03:06:20 Z
From: WA2PVV@WA2PVV
To: KA4USE
Subject: Found This On My System

There is a file going around called either NORTSTOP.ZIP or NORTSHOT.ZIP
which, by it's (sparse) documentation and the copyright inside the EXE
file, claims to be from Norton Computing.  Because of the sparse and
unprofessionally presented docs, I looked within the EXE file and found:

  The Norton Public Domain Virus Utility,  PD Edition 5.50,  (C)1989 Peter
Norton

     Your System has been infected with a Christmas virus!  Selected files
were just eliminated!  Without these files, you might as well use your
computer as a damn, boat anchor!  If you do NOT own a boat, you may want
to replace the files which were just erased.  Try to determine which files
they were.  HARDY  HA! HA! HA! HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW; YOU IDIOT?   MERRY
CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

===================
PKUNZIP reports:

 1065  Implode    650  39%  10-04-89  12:26  9778978d --w  READ-ME.NOW
38907  Implode  30156  23%  10-02-89  11:57  c333dec0 --w  NORTSHOT.EXE
-----          ------  ---                                 -------
39972           30806  23%                                       2

I spoke with Craig and Tony from Norton Computing and it sure ain't
their's.  I DID run McAfee's SCANV on it, and it came up empty, so either
SCANV simply can't recognize it, or it's a prank, but either way, it has
no business being in circulation.  Be on the look out!

     To: ALL
   From: TONY MCNAMARA
   Subj: Trojan Horse

    We at Peter Norton Computing would like to bring to your attention an
unauthorized trojan horse named NortStop.ZIP or NortShot.ZIP (these files
are the same).  This file was NOT produced with the knowledge or
permission of PNCI.

    This file is not a virus (it does not infect files).  Instead, it is a
trojan horse (it must be run explicitly to cause any damage).  When run,
it lists the directory and claims the system is virus-free.  Between
December 24th and December 31st, however, it will erase files in several
directories based on their extensions.

    These files can be recognized by their sizes (NortStop.ZIP is 31744
bytes, NortStop.EXE is 38907 bytes), or by doing a text search for the
strings "NORTSHOT.EXE" in the ZIP, "Norton Public" in the EXE.

    If you find or hear of these files, please contact us immediately
through Tony McNamara, 213/319-2076 (voice), TMCNAMARA 381-9188 (MCI), or
CompuServe (72477,2504).

    Again, these files are in no way associated with PNCI.  Please help us
track down and eliminate these files.

    Thank you,
        Peter Norton

************** From the Desk of Mr. James M. Vavrina **************
*            Comm 703-355-0010/0011  AV 345-0010-0011             *
*                  DDN SDSV@MELPAR-EMH1.ARMY.MIL                  *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89 15:22:06 SST
From: Luther Chan <CCECHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Graphics Terminal Emulator for the PC/EGA

Can anyone recommend me some PC graphics terminal emulator, this software
must be able to work with EGA and gives all the EGA color and resolution.

It must also able to switch from VT100 terminal emulation to any of the
following terminal type of emulation:

     Dec  VT241 VT340    Tek t4105 t4107 t4014 t4115 t4125

It will be nice if any of this emulator can caputre the screen for the pc
to display on any of the PC graphics editor. It should be able to do file
transfer as well.

[Sounds like you want MS-Kermit from Columbia.  Send a message to
<info-Kermit-Request@columbia.edu> and ask for information.   gph]

                               *****
Luther Chan Y.W.            <  *   *  >    COMPUTER CENTRE
System Programmer            \   L   / NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
E-MAIL: CCECHAN@NUSVM.BITNET  |  -  |   10  KENT RIDGE CRESENT
{ AI has no six   sense }     _______       SINGAPORE 0511

+++ DISCLAIMER: Whatever express here is my personal opinion, I am not
     in a position to speak for my organization or other individual.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 14:52 CDT
From: David Swanger <SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: Need help reducing size of EXE file

I have been writing a program for an MS-DOS PC in conjunction with two
other programmers using Microsoft C 5.1.  In addition, we are utilizing
both the Vitamin C and the  Essential Graphics function libraries.

Functionally, the program works just as we want it to.  However, the .EXE
file is getting very large (nearing 360k).  We would like to shrink the
size of this file as much as possible without doing any heavy rewrites.
Here's the state of the project so far:

  o Currently we have about 90 or so source files.  Each of these files
contains from 1 to 10 functions each.

  o We compile to the large memory model because it does not fit in any of
the smaller models.

  o We've tried optimizing the source files for size.

  o We pack the EXE file with EXEPACK.

  o We have one include file (STARTUP.H) that contains all of our global
definitions.  This file also contains includes for every .H file used by
the entire program.  All of our source files include this file at the
beginning of the file.  Therefore, if one of our functions needs only
stdio.h, it still is including several other .H files (math.h, malloc.h,
etc.).  Could this be adding extra size to the EXE file?

Aside from becoming more efficient, leaner programmers, does anyone have
any ideas how we could shrink the size of the EXE file?

David Swanger
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University, Al  36849

SWANGER@AUDUCVAX                <-- BITNET
SWANGER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU       <-- INTERNET

------------------------------

Date: 7 November 89, 18:32:49 MEZ
From: Marc Heinrich Prosenc <CHSTUD5%DKNKURZ1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Experience Building Digitizer Boards

Does anyone have experience with digitizer boards on ibm pcs ?  I would
like to build one.  Which chip would you suggest to be used with an
8088/286 ?

please send me to chstud5 at dknkurz1

marc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89 16:37:55
From: S51112%prime-e.poly-south-west.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Subject: Modems, Commands and Protocols info sources requested

Hello,

I am doing a project in Plymouth on intelligent modems and ibm pcs'. I am
having difficulty obtaining some information:

1. AT commands

2. MNP protocol (all levels)

I would be interested to know of any references, details of pd software or
anything else remotely interesting (including good jokes !!)

Please direct all replies to me if possible as I do not read this
newsgroup reqularly.

Thanks very much etc etc
David Bozward

Janet:    s51112@uk.ac.psw.pe
BitNET:   s51112%pe.psw@ac.uk
Internet: s51112%pe.psw.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
(or reply !!!)

If gold was free we would all be rich !!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  8 Nov 89 11:24:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Curtis P. Yeske" <cy13+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Project Management packages.

I am looking for project management packages.  Cost is of minor
importance.  If you know of good/bad ones, please let me know.  I am also
looking for the company/address for the following: Project-2 and Super
Project Expert.  Any pointers would be most helpful.

Curt Yeske
Carnegie Mellon University
cy13@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 10:31:37 PST
From: breault@garnet.berkeley.edu (Kirk Breault)
Subject: Single Machine - Multiple Users

My department is investigating ways letting more than one person use a PC
at one time.  We would like to have one machine, preferably an AT or other
286, serve 3 or 4 users each with their own terminal.  Only one of the
users would be doing much work.  The other users would mostly be using
their terminals for word processing and accessing information that the
primary user (for lack of a better term) processes.

I've heard of this kind of thing begin done.  Can this be done with DOS
extensions?  Should we go to UNIX?  One of the problems with UNIX is that
we don't want to throw away our DOS software investment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kirk Breault
Mailing Address                          |INTERNET: breault@garnet.berkeley.edu
  350 Barrows Hall                       |COMPUSERVE: 76666.610
  UCB Schools of Business Administration |  1st line = "Attn: Kirk Breault"
  Berkeley, CA 94720                     |PHONE: (415) 642-6879

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 09:18 MST
From: "G.L.Dobbins" <DOBBINS@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu>
Subject: TeX to WordPerfect conversion program

Does anyone know of a product that will convert TeX (or a subset thereof)
documents to and/or from WordPerfect?  With the soon-to-be-released
WordPerfect 5.1 and its built-in formula creation abilities, we're hopeful
that it will be possible to move some technical documents between it and
TeX, if such a program exists. . .

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 89 15:03:04 SST
From: Luther Chan <CCECHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: X-Modem, Y-Modem, Z-Modem and CompuServ B-Protocol

Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of the x-modem, y-modem, z-modem and
computserv's B-protocol program both executable and source code.

[Well-l-l-l. Z-, Y-, and Z-modem protocols are available from Simtel20. gph]

I need a copy of these public domain softwares for my PC and a copy for
IBM 3081 mainframe running VM/CMS.

In actual facts a lots of my user has x-modex protocol with their dialup
software.  However I need one to work on my host side.  Any suggestion
will be well come.  Please send to me direct.

                               *****
{ AI IS BRAIN DAMAGING }      _______       SINGAPORE 0511

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 10:53:09 LCL
From: Elwin Yerdon <EEYERDON@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Speeding up a Zenith 157

Perhaps somebody out there could help me. I have a Zenith 157 that I am
attempt ing to upgrade and I haven't had much success. I purchased a SOTA
286i accelerator board and had some compatability problems (at least
that's what the SOTA tech told me). The board had a problems with the A
drive (360k) and with my keyboard (84 key AT). It also wouldn't recognize
my bus mouse (Dexxa) when installed as a device driver in CONFIG.SYS.
After a week of futility, I sent the board back.  Now I realize that I
should just get rid of the whole mess and buy a new machine but my budget
isn't up to the task. Has anyone successfully speeded up a 157?  Any
advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Elwin Yerdon                                 BITNET: EEYERDON@SUVM
Administrate Information Systems
Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1989  23:28 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ALL.ARC - VMS-like DOS command line editor with recall

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1989  13:55 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: FRAINT10.ARC, FRASRC10.ARC uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.graphics>
FRAINT10.ARC    Mandelbrot, Julia set fractals w/32-bit math
FRASRC10.ARC    Source code for FRACTINT version 10.0

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1989  01:13 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.arc-lbr>
AM443.ARC       ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH

<msdos.bbslists>
BBS1189.ARC     THE LIST of BBSs for November, 1989

<msdos.trojan-pro>
SCANRS49.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
SCANV49.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 48 viruses

SCANRS49 and SCANV49 were downloaded from the Homebase BBS.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------