Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Info-IBMPC Digest) (11/26/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 26 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue 105

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                 Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                      Printing ^Z with TurboPascal
           PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>scanv38.arc and scanres8.arc
                        Re: TeX Printer Drivers
               Re: First cluster of file or sub-directory

Today's Queries:
                   3 1/2" drives Assistance requested
                          Bios Help Requested
                           CAD under Windows?
                         BIOS/Keyboard problem
                     ImageWriter II via serial port
                     Null Cable Networking Software
                          Procomm and Desqview
                     Switching SHIFT and CTRL keys
        Help with EMS Simulator for AT w/Magitronic Motherboards
                        Unknown PS/2 error code

Program Updates:
               CKOT094.ARC has been deleted from SIMTEL20
      CMOUSE.ARC - Mouse management for MSC 5.1/MASM 5.0 or later

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1989  09:31 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has been updated.
The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version of the
same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
     This file is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more frequently,
     time permitting).

NODESCR.IDX a listing of those files which do not have a description.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX, AAAREAD.ME
     (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS, SIMIBM.DB3,
     SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.INF, SIMDISP.AWK, SIMDISP.DOC, and SIMDISP.FOR.
     SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more
     frequently, time permitting).

Also available:

QUICKREF.LST a quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.

SIMCVT.BAS a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMCVT.EXC a VM/CMS REXX program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.FOR a VAX/VMS FORTRAN program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.SPS a VAX/VMS SPS program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMDISP.AWK an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.DB3 tells how to use SIMIBM.IDX with dBASEIII.

SIMIBM.HDR a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.INF information on record structure of SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMRAZ12.ARC a program to merge, shorten, rearrange SIMTEL indices.

SIMTEL31.ARC a program which will import any SIMTEL20 comma-delimited
     catalog file and convert it to a .DBF and allow viewing, searching,
     printing reports, etc.  The user does not need dBASE and all the
     necessary files will be created as they are needed by the program.

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, without descriptions, suitable for importing into
     PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

                         DISCLAIMER

Due to the large number of files available, the archive maintainers cannot
possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of the various programs.
When a program bug is reported, immediate action is taken to either
correct the error or remove the offending program from the archives.
Still, users must understand that all archive programs are offered AS IS,
and the archive maintainers specifically disclaim any liability should
these programs malfunction or cause damage, incidental or otherwise.  When
testing ANY new software, be certain that all information stored on disk
is backed-up before you start, so that you can recover if files are
damaged or erased.  This is particularly true if you have a hard disk, in
which case malfunctions can be spectacularly disasterous.

         WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems should
be directed to ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: 08 Nov 89 19:40:24-0100
From: Michal Jankowski <sieminski@rzsin.sin.ch>
Subject: Printing ^Z with TurboPascal

>  From: Robert Bloom  AMCICP-IM 3775 <rbloom@apg-emh1.apg.army.mil>

>  How do you output a CHR(26) in TurboPascal v5.0?

This problem is due to the paranoic way DOS treats so-called 'text mode'
for character devices. For all I know, the only difference between text
and binary mode is in their treatment of ^Z, namely, that ^Z will not
print in text mode.

So, the solution is simple -- just change file mode to binary.  The
following unit will do it for you:

unit PrintFix;
interface
procedure SetPrintBinary(var f);

implementation
uses Dos;

procedure SetPrintBinary(var f);
var
  regs : registers;
begin
  with regs do begin
    ax := $4400; {Get Device Information}
    bx := filerec(f).handle;
    MsDos(regs);
    if (dl and $80) = $80 then begin {Character Device}
      ax := $4401; {Set Device Information}
      dh := 0;
      dl := dl or $20; {Binary Mode}
      MsDos(regs);
    end;
  end;
end;

end.

Sample program follows (this is Robert's program with some bugs corrected)

uses
  Printer,
  PrintFix;            {*use my unit*}

var
  i,j: integer;

begin
  SetPrintBinary(lst); {*call my procedure*}
  writeln(lst);
  for i := 20 to 30 do begin
    write(lst, i:3,'->');                  {number of char}
    write(lst,chr(27),'L',chr(20),chr(0)); {graphics prefix}
    for j := 1 to 20 do
      write(lst,chr(i));                   {write 20 of them}
    write(lst,'<- ');                      {close pointer}
  end;
  writeln(lst);
end.

It has worked for me, it should work for you.
   Michal Jankowski

------------------------------

Date: 8 Nov 89   17:47 CST
From: Larry Eyberger <B27253%ANLNESC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>scanv38.arc and scanres8.arc

I have been trying to retrieve the two subject ARC files that I read about
in an earlier list, but when I use LISTSERV@RPIECS and do a /pdget
pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>name, neither file is found.  Am I doing something
wrong?  Thanks.

B27253 at ANLNESC.BITNET

[Only thing you're doing wrong is that the file names have changed.  Try
doing a /pdget pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>scanv*.arc and /pdget
pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>scanrs*.arc ...  Current version number is 49 (or
scanv49.arc and scanrs49.arc).  The other thing you might try before doing
the /pdget is /pddir pd1:<...>scanrs*.arc or <...>scanv*.arc.   gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 13:41 CST
From: <CSVV3E04%SWTEXAS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: TeX Printer Drivers

>From: EVENS%UTORPHYS.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca

>Can anybody tell me where on the net printer drivers for TeX are archived?
>I have the last page of the directory of such an archive, but having
>foolishly lost the first page I don't know the net address. I'm
>particularly interested in either a postscrip or a Laserjet driver, as
>this is what our shiny new printer can emulate.

>Thanks. dan evens <evens@utorphys>

Dan, according to the last list we have received here at SWT Univ., the
TeX/LaTeX files are stored in several anonymous FTP sites.  The addresses
I have are:

1.  POWER.EEE.NDSU.NODAK.EDU
2.  SUN.SDE.CLARKSON.EDU
3.  SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (still operational?)

Hope this helps you out.
Brian Collins <CSVV3E04@SWTEXAS.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 22:12:48 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB@wuvmd.bitnet>
Subject: Re: First cluster of file or sub-directory

Here's some C code that shows how to get the first cluster of a file or
subdirectory:

/* Code to get the first cluster of a file/subdir
   Written by Don Branson */
#include <dos.h>
#include <stdio.h>

unsigned get_cluster(char *, unsigned);

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
    if(argc != 2){
        puts("Enter a filename on the command line.");
        exit(1);
    }
    printf("\nFirst cluster of subdirectory %s: %04x\n", argv[1], get_cluster(ar
    printf("\nFirst cluster of file         %s: %04x\n", argv[1], get_cluster(ar
}

unsigned
get_cluster(filename, attribute)
char *filename;
unsigned attribute;
{
    struct WORDREGS regs;
    struct SREGS sregs;
    char fcb[44];

    /* Parse the filename to create an FCB */
    segread(&sregs);
    regs.ax = 0x2900;
    regs.si = (int)filename;
    sregs.es = sregs.ds;
    regs.di = (int)fcb+7;
    intdosx(&regs, &regs, &sregs);
    /* Successful parse? */
    if((regs.ax & 0xFF) == 0xFF)
        return 0;

    /* Set the DTA to be our FCB area */
    bdosx(0x1A, (int)fcb);

    /* Do a findfirst to get the cluster */
    *fcb = 0xff;                        /* This FCB has an extension */
    *(fcb+6) = attribute;               /* Set the attribute */
    if(bdosx(0x11, (int)fcb) == 0xFF)   /* findfirst */
        return 0;

    /* If we are looking for a subdirectory, make sure this isn't a file. */
    if((attribute & 0x10) == 0x10){
        while((*(fcb+0x13) & 0x10) != 0x10){    /* fcb+0x13 is the found attr */
            if(bdosx(0x12, (int)fcb) == 0xFF)   /* findnext */
                return 0;
        }
    }
    return *(unsigned *)&fcb[0x22];
}

Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 21:22 EST
From: EDGINGTC%WABASH.BITNET@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Subject: 3 1/2" drives Assistance requested

A friend of mine who doesn't have access to the network just bought a
Packard Bell XT compatible computer.  It came with two 5 1/4" floppy
drives and she wants to add a 3 1/2" 720K drive.  If my thinking is
correct, she won't need another floppy controller card and the cable from
the 5 1/4" should hook directly up to the 3 1/2". My questions are these:

   1.) Am I correct in thinking she won't need any extra hardware besides
the drive?

   2.) Does anyone know what/where the best deal for a cheap but reliable
drive is?

   3.) Will the drive mount in correctly or will I have to also get a
"cage" or something to make the 3 1/2" drive the same size as a 5 1/4"
drive?

advTHANKSance,
       Chris Edgington
    Wabash College '92
   (Purdue next year.)
Computer Science Major
            Math Minor

edgingtc@wabash.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 12:41:56 PST
From: snapwc@manta.nosc.mil (Thomas A. Laird)
Subject: Bios Help Requested

My father has a Leading Edge Model M that he tried replacing the BIOS in
with one from Phoenix Inc.  When this didn't work he replaced the original
one and found out it had gone bad.

I need a BIOS.  Can anyone help me?  Or at least steer me in the right
direction?

                        Thank you
                        Thomas A. Laird
                        SNAPWC@nosc.mil

------------------------------

Date: 8 November 1989 17:08:31 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: CAD under Windows?

Has anyone come across a CAD package that works under Windows?  Something
between say AutoCad and Windows Paint.....

Thanks,
Bob Johnson << u27745@uicvm.uic.edu >> or << U27745 at UICVM >>

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 89 15:07:34 DST
From:         H-J Damgaard <P6937@DKTC11>
Subject:      BIOS/Keyboard problem

Could anyone please help me with the following problem :

I'm the owner of an iBM PCG, an i have recently bought an enhanced IBM
keyboard, the keyb. used for IBM SFD and SDD, to take advantage of the
extra number of keys (the SFD/SDD keyb. is a 102-key model with 12 funct.
keys, my old PCG keyb. was 84-keys with 10 func. keys).  The problem is,
that my PCG only will "talk" with the SFD/SDD keyb. if i unplug the keyb.
from the PCG before  i turn the power on. I then get a 301 error code,
keyboard error. Then i can plug in the keyb. and use it ALMOST with no
malfunction, i.e. there's only 3 or 4 keys that do not match the printed
signs on the keys.  I have installed a Rom BIOS from an IBM PC/XT in order
to use an EGA monitor (the old PCG Rom BIOS didn't support EGA mode).

However, the PC/XT Rom BIOS does not support the SFD/SDD keyb. and this
plugging/unplugging sessions every time i turn my PC on makes me feel like
the owner of a ZX-81| I have contacted IBM Denmark in order to get the
SFD/ SDD Rom Bios, but they don't even have a stock number for this chip.
I know that the SFD/SDD models are a little rare, since they were the last
PC's that IBM made before they turned over to PS/2's.  If any of you nice
persons out there have a IBM SFD/SDD Rom BIOS, a crashed SFD/SDD
motherboard, OR a 4'th way to solve my problem (like a BIOS of another
brand than IBM that works|) then PLEASE contact me.  Please reply directly
to me.

Kind regards

H-j Damgaard
P6937 at DKTC11

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 21:39:51 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: ImageWriter II via serial port

I'm trying to attach an Apple ImageWrite II to my PS/2 through the serial
port (if this sounds familiar, I'm sorry, but the thought just occured to
me).  Anyway, two things I've noticed:

1) The connection has to be through a null-modem, not direct.  In other
words, pins 2 and 3 are switched.  Why?

2) After a few pages, I get errors from the printer, and everything either
terminates or gets garbled.  I thought that the printer uses XON/XOFF
control, but it doesn't seem to.  Is the buffer overflowing, and what
should I do to prevent it?

3) Does anyone have an Excel/Windows driver for the Apple ImageWriter II?

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 14:44 CST
From: <PH4881R%DRAKE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Null Cable Networking Software

I have successfully connected two AT-type machines together via a NULL
CABLE using the serial port of each machine.  KERMIT works reasonably well
to shuffle files from one machine to the other.  The effective transfer
rate seems to be about 4000 bytes per second using 115,200 baud.

However, I recall seeing somewhere or another an advertisement for
software which would cause such a connection to work as a network so that
I could reference the disk on the other machine by using some drive
letter.  Could someone help me to locate the software and/or vendor for
doing this?

Philip A. Houle
Drake University
Des Moines, IA  50311
Phone (515) 271-3135
PH4881R@DRAKE.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 89 16:45:47 EDT
From: marwood@ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood)
Subject: Procomm and Desqview

I am looking for some assistance in setting up Desqview to run Procomm
Plus.  I have been able to set up PC Plus so that it will run in the
background, while something else, like WordPerfect 5.0, is running in the
foreground.  The problem is that although multi-tasking is clearly taking
place, there is a lot of character loss.  PC Plus has been loaded as the
first program, which is the recommendation for communications programs.
My normal operating speed is 9600bps, and at this speed, with two windows
open, characters are lost.  At 4800bps, text becomes recognizable, but
there is still some loss.

The machine I am using is an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with Intel Aboveboard 2
Plus LIMS 4.0 expanded memory.  Perhaps the processor just cannot handle
9600bps through Desqview, though there is no problem at all when only PC
Plus is used.  If anyone has any experience of a similar combination of
software and hardware to that which I am using, I would be interested to
know whether you have achieved any better performance.

Gordon Marwood
Internet: marwood@ncs.dnd.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 23:01:50 CST
From: sparks@atlas.socsci.umn.edu
Subject: Switching SHIFT and CTRL keys

Help!
Does anyone know how I can swap the SHIFT and CTRL keys on a keyboard?
The DOS manual doesn't supply the scan codes for the CTRL key, and I fear
that this task may not be as easy as entering 2 ANSI escape codes.  Thanks
in advance for the help!

|===========================================================================|
|            Scott Parks              I        (612) 625 - 2086             |
|      University of Minnesota        I   sparks@atlas.socsci.umn.edu       |
|       Minneapolis, MN 55455         I DISCLAIMER:#INCLUDE <stdMumboJumbo> |
|===========================================================================|

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 12:19:13 EST
From: "Richard J. Reiner" <RREINER%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Help with EMS Simulator for AT w/Magitronic Motherboards

We have a couple of XTs with motherboards from Magitronic.  These beast
have 1M of RAM on board.  The top 384K is not, however, in the RAM address
space.  Magitronic supplied a device driver (CDISK.SYS) which turns the
384K into a ramdisk, but they don't document what it does to do it.

I'd like to write an EMS emulator which uses this space, but I don't know
how to address it -- through 8086 ports, no doubt, but which and how?
Does anyone have any information on how to do this?  Better yet, has
someone already written an EMS emulator for this board?  Or do I have to
dissassemble the dang device driver?

Thanks,
  Richard

. Richard J. Reiner . BITNET ...... rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca ..... (daily) ..
..................... old BITNET .. rreiner@yorkvm1 .......... (daily) ..
..................... Internet .... grad3077@writer.yorku.ca . (daily) ..
..................... Compu$erve .. 73457,3257 ............... (rarely) .

------------------------------

Date: 8 November 1989, 07:39:36 EST
From: HASENFRA.at.UCONNVM@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Unknown PS/2 error code

Does anyone out there with a technical reference manual for the PS/2 know
what the error 165 means? We keep getting this message along with two
beeps at boot-up. What needs to be done? Can lowly mortals do it? Or does
the service representative need to come in? Thanks for any help.

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1989  19:39 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CKOT094.ARC has been deleted from SIMTEL20

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1989  14:41 MST