Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/30/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 30 Nov 89       Volume 89 : Issue 108

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                             ctags for MS-DOS
                      Directory listings for PC-BLUE?
                     Environment space on a DOS shell
                            Hard Disk for an XT
                Permanently Write Protecting 3.5" Diskettes
                   MSDOS 3.1/3.2/3.3 BUG in dynamic path

Today's Queries:
                           COM3 and COM4 on PCs
                 Connecting my Brother typewriter to my PC
                    Re: EGA getimage/putimage done fast
                          Expanded Memory Linker
               Program wanted to do LPT redirection (2 msgs)
                               Key swapping
          PC Tech Journal BB: PCTechLine, where have you gone???
                        Programming Colors on a VGA
                     i486 Motherboards Available yet?

New Program Uploads:
      Lists of currently available books on WordPerfect & Lotus 1-2-3
                       New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20
             Official version of PCcurses uploaded to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 89 14:24:32 EST
From: "Richard J. Reiner" <RREINER%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: ctags for MS-DOS

In the Nov 15 Digest, I wrote:

>Does anyone have a pointer to version of the *nix utility ctags
>which runs on MS-DOS?

No answers yet, but I have found one anyway, in the Unix archives at
Simtel-20.  I've made the few small changes necessary to get it to compile
under MS-DOS using MS C; it's quite standard, and Jove likes its output.
If anyone wants a copy of my port, mail me at either of the addresses
below.

--Richard

.. ..Richard J. Reiner .. BITNET ...... rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca ......... ..
.. ...................... old BITNET .. rreiner@yorkvm1 .............. ..
.. ...................... Internet .... grad3077@writer.yorku.ca ..... ..

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 19:31:00 MET
From: ACEVERJ%HUTRUU0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Directory listings for PC-BLUE ?

Dear Frank,

maybe I shouldn't ask you directly about this, but seeing your message in
the INFO-IBMPC Digest V89#86, I thought I might. The question is: is there
something for the PD1:<PC-BLUE> directory like SIMIBM.ARC for PD1:<MSDOS>?
If so, would you tell me what, where etc. Thanks in advance.

[The files you're looking for are in each volume.  VOL-000.* files..]

Regards,
Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 89 18:57:00 EST
From: SHADKB@ccm.UManitoba.CA
Subject: Environment space on a DOS shell

| I'm having problems with my environment.  No matter how large I set the
| environment with CONFIG.SYS's SHELL /E switch, I have practically no room
| in my environment to add strings.  This only happens under a second copy
| of COMMAND.COM.  Anyone know why?

The "/E" switch you add to the SHELL command in the CONFIG.SYS file is
actually a parameter for the COMMAND.COM program.  Therefore, when you run
a second copy of COMMAND.COM, you shouldn't just type "COMMAND" (or your
application program shouldn't just execute the "COMMAND.COM" program), you
(or it) should send the "/E" parameter on the command line.
Unfortunately, if it is an application program executing the second copy,
you may not be able to convince it to send any command line arguments to
its copy of COMMAND.COM.

Hope this helps, though.

Kevin
<shadkb@ccm.UManitoba.CA>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 89 20:35 CST
From: 2634RUPERTJ%MUCSD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Hard Disk for an XT

I PRESENTLY HAVE AN XT CLONE THAT I WANT TO UPGRADE WITH A HARD DISK.  I
HEARD THAT THERE IS A "SPEED LIMIT" FOR XT'S.  EVIDENTLY IF ONE IS TOO
FAST, THE XT WON'T BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT AND YOU'RE PAYING FOR NOTHING.
HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THIS AND WHAT THE LIMIT IS?

[I have a Seagate ST-251-1, 40Mb, 28Ms access time.  Works WELL! It's
intended for my '386 when I can afford it...]

IS THERE ANY SUCH LIMIT FOR THE NUMBER OF BYTES IS CAN HANDLE?

[Yes, there is a limit, but the limit is imposed by DOS.  DOS 4.0 removes
this limit.  DOS 3.x and lower imposed a maximum harddisk size of
32Mbytes.  Several companies make a driver that logically removes this
limit, Are you willing to upgrade to DOS 4.0?  If not, use DOS 3.x and a
driver.  One such company that provides drivers is OnTrack with their
"Disk Manager".  The driver takes the smaller partitions assigned by some
custom formatter and logically makes them other drives.  I have a 40mbyte
drive broken up into a 32 mbyte and an 8 mbyte.  Cluster size is
determined by DOS when doing the DOS Format.  If the partition size is >
12 Mbyte, the 2K size is used.  Otherwise the 4K size is used.]

FINALLY, DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION AS TO WHO MAKES A GOOD, REASONABLY
PRICED HARD DISK FOR THE XT CLONE?

[Seagate, Micropolis, Tandon to name a few...]

THANKS,

JACK RUPERT
MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
2634RUPERTJ

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 19:42:35 EST
From: Colin Smith <COLIN%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Permanently Write Protecting 3.5" Diskettes

3.5" diskettes.

The way in which I accomplish this is the following:

I hold the diskette with the metal sleeve pointing up.  Using my Swiss
Army knife (any similar tool will do) I pry the two shells of the diskette
slightly apart at the corner which the write-protect tab is located and
allow gravity to remove the write-protect tab for me.

The removed tab looks something like this:  1_l
                                            L_]

-Colin --O.
         O--
Colin Smith                |
Colin@UOTTAWA.BITNET       |   Freedom is a Road
Computing & Comm. Services |   Seldom travelled
University of Ottawa       |   by the Multitudes.
Ottawa, Ontario            |
K1N 6N5                    |           Malcolm X
(613) 564-8104             |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 89 13:08 GMT
From: GROENEVELD%HDETNO51.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: MSDOS 3.1/3.2/3.3 BUG in dynamic path

In addition to my msg in IBMPC-L #85 concerning 'Path Spec. with WP 4.2
problems' I found out already that it is not WP causing the trouble but
DOS:

DOS BUG in dynamic path:

Tested with MSDOS versions 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 on (clone)XT, HP-AT & HP-386
Vectra: If a path specification contains a.o. the dynamic path
specifications '..' and '\' and the '\' comes before '..' the system
CRASHES if a .BAT, .COM or .EXE file is FOUND by the '\' specification if
the current directory is a (sub)subdirectory at the CURRENT (substituted)
drive.

These path specifications are legal and the above bug does not emerge if
specifying only the '\' or the '..' by which the program can be found if
one level deep. The solution for the problem for the time being is to
specify '..' BEFORE '\', so for example '..;\' as part of the path spec.
string.

Jim Groeneveld,
NIPG TNO - - - - - <work> - - - - -|- <home> - - - - -| GROENEVELD@HDETNO51
Postbus 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14     | GROENEVELD@TNO.NL
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet | TNOSUR::GROENEVELD
Nederland (NL)   071-178810        | 03412-60413      | RULTNO::JIM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 89 11:17:50 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: COM3 and COM4 on PCs

I would like to install KERMIT to work with com port 3.  I have the
hardware and it seems to be OK.  When I configure the program with port 1
everything works.

But KERMIT appears to be configured for port 3 Because it says something
like "serial port not found" I Installed DEVCOM.SYS (from COMM3_4.ARC)
which is supposed to b a device driver for ports 3 and 4, but it did not
help.

Has anybody solved this or a similar problem?  I have a 386 clone wit AMC
bios and I am running MSDOS 3.30

Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 14:22 N
From: <RCSTRH%HEITUE5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Connecting my Brother typewriter to my PC

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some technical information for connecting my Brother AX25
typewriter to my PC by use of the 15-pins sub D-connector on the rightside
of the typewriter.

Thanks in advance.

    Rob Houtepen                                 EARN : RCSTRH@HEITUE5
    University of Technology
    Eindhoven - Holland

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 NOV 89 17:06:26 GMT
From: <MATHURLEY%CS8700.UCG.IE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: EGA getimage/putimage done fast

I too have a similar problem with speed using Turbo C's getimage/putimage
functions.. I have yet to find a solution but I am nearly there..

1. The bitmap that getimage/putimage is fairly basic.  It stores the size
of the image and height and length in the first few bytes and then
proceeds to store either 8,4 or 2 pixels per byte depending on whether you
use CGA 2 B/W, CGA 4 COLOUR, or EGA/VGA 16 COLOUR respectively.  It is
obvious to see how the EGA bitmap can be cumbersome and slow.

2. EGA also, you might know, stores video memory as 4 planes with one bit
in each of these planes representing a pixel (Adding up to 4 bits which
defines the screen colour of the pixel).. To change a pixels colour you
must write to each individual plane .. selecting planes 0-3 individually..
My guess is that standard bitmap procedure in most languages (I've found
that GWBASIC/Turbo Basic/Turbo C and probably most if not all other
languages use the same bitmap format) is to write each pixel
individually.. Selecting the write plane 0-3 for every single pixel
thereby doing say for a 100x100 image 40000 different write plane select..
The fact that write plane requires two memory writes means that 80000
functions would have to be made.. By the way these calculations would
probably not hold up to the test they are only an example.  My idea (which
I have yet to finish) is to write my own bitmap routine where I store the
data as 4 seperate planes and write each plane individually cutting down
on instructions by a gianormous amount and thereby increasing speed.

3. I will put the final bitmap loader programs (in C they'll be), along
with a very sophisticated SPRITE editor and screen editor, up on SIMTEL as
soon as they are finished (the latter will be on later rather than sooner
while the bitmap loader should be ready any day..)

Please excuse the length of this explanation and any mistakes associated
with it.. I hope I have helped

Paul Hurley,
U.C.G.,
Ireland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 19:54:46 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Expanded Memory Linker

Does anyone know of an IBM-PC linker that will allow overlays to be loaded
into available Expanded memory?  It would be best if no special
programming was required, using the existing overlay mechanism and using
EMS when it is available.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 11:35:09 MET
From: Ron Croonenberg <U448035%HNYKUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Program wanted to do output redirection

hello,

I've got a little problem with interrupts on an ibm-pc.  I want to
redirect output (for lpt1) to a diskfile.

The problem is I don' want to do this al the time so, I changed a few
lines in prnds.asm (which I got from a trickle server).  prndsk intercepts
int 17 and redirects output to disk.(and does a lot of other interresting
things to).

Within prndsk are so called services.You can call them with int 17 and the
values 81h - 86h in ah.

In turbo-c :     regs.h.ah=0x??;
                 int86(0x17, &regs, &regs);

If I make a c-programm, this does the job.  But, I want to make a tsr
which does the job.  I dont know really what the problem is (but it seems
that certain interrupts don't do what you expect them to do (all the
time); First I thought it had something to do with segments, but that is
not true or is it?

If it will work (to set redirection on and off) I want to use it in a tsr
routine that is triggered by the clock tick (int 1Ch).  I hope someone out
there knows something about interrupts and tsr's, and is willing to give
me a solution to this problem.

If there are any answers (which are sent to me) I will summarize and
forward them to the info-ibmpc mailing list.  [Thanks!]

Thanks in advance,

Ron Croonenberg

Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen

Nijmeegs Universitair Huisartsen Instituut
verlengde Groenestraat 75
6525 EJ Nijmegen

E-mail : u448035 at hnykun11.bitnet

[Take a look at LPTX700.ARC or LPTX600.ARC.  Another such program is
LPT2DSK.ARC.  All three are in PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>.  These are TSR Printer
re-direction programs that allow you to re-direct LPT1-3 to different
files.  LPTX700 has a hot key that 'pops' up a menu to allow you to do
various things.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 89 13:10 GMT
From: GROENEVELD%HDETNO51.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Help!

PROBLEM: I am searching for a RESIDENT in the BACKGROUND WORKING program
that copies all input from COMx bit by bit to LPTx (preferably at high
speed).

BACKGROUND: From two PC's one has a large application running generating
(graphical) output for a network printer. There is no room for network
software anymore in the memory, only for a relatively small utility
redirecting printer output to any device or file, such as COMx. The other
computer has the network software loaded and both are connected by a
serial null-modem cable. All output from the first one has to be
intercepted by the second one and sent to the network printer directly. In
the meantime the second PC should be available with exception of the two
occupied devices.

ALTERNATIVES: COPY has its limitations: 1) it is not resident and 2) it
can only copy text (ascii) files from a COM port until EOF (ascii-26).
COPY /B COMx LPTx is erroneous. XMODEM.COM and/or MODEM7.COM may do the
job (not tested yet) but neither are background resident: XMODEM T >LPTx
also sends the header to the output device when started.

So, suggestions for/or programs please!

Jim Groeneveld,

NIPG TNO - - - - - <work> - - - - -|- <home> - - - - -| GROENEVELD@HDETNO51
Postbus 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14     | GROENEVELD@TNO.NL
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet | TNOSUR::GROENEVELD
Nederland (NL)   071-178810        | 03412-60413      | RULTNO::JIM

[See previous message]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 11:41:59 MST
From: John Shaver Modernization Office <steep-mo-m@huachuca-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Key swapping

Does anyone know of a simple routine which would swap two keys on my Dell
System 310?  The Caps Lock and CTRL keys are the reverse of what I
expected.  Please address answers directly to me as I may be off the net
by now.

Thanks
John

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89  10:28 PST
From: SPGJAF%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Joseph A. Faracchio)
Subject: PC Tech Journal BB: PCTechLine ... where have you gone???

OK.  I know PC Tech Journal went out of business in April of 1988.

What I'm looking for is the Bulletin Board sources to PC TechLine.  Since
its part of Ziff-Davis I've called there with no results.  Maybe its
because its COMDISCO/Fall this week.   Does anybody know where the stuff
that was on PC-Tech Line went?   Especially the VGA-Compatablility Suite
from the November, 1988 issue???

There is a PCTECH directory on Simtel20 but its not there.  I do have the
OS/2 MultiBoot source from there, which I'd be glad to send to Simtel20 if
I could get some directions, but I neglected to get all the other goodies.
thanks .. joe.f.

[Contact Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>.  He'll give
directiona.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 12:07 GMT
From: IKDC0%ccuab1.uab.es@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Programming Colors on a VGA

DEAR NETLANDERS,
   A colleague of mine needs to program colors, specially differents tones
of the same color, on a VGA monitor attached to a PS/2 model 50z using
Basic or Pascal.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Javier Castro
ikdc0@ebccuab1.bitnet  or ikdc0@ccuab1.uab.es (INTERNET)

------------------------------

Date: 16 Nov 89 14:09:02 GMT
From: theseas!nfotis@relay.EU.net (Nikolaos Fotis)
Subject: i486 motherboards Available yet?

[Follow-ups to comp.sys.ibm.pc, please!]
Dear Netters,

I would like to bring your focus on the problem of finding a good and
agressively-priced Intel 486 motherboard.

My personal ideal for such a motherboard is:

A i486 running at 25 MHz.  16 SIMM sockets (with parity) for 16 MBytes on
board.  NO wait states! (perhaps with 4-way interleave?)

(VERY welcome: SCSI controller on board, directly to the 32-bit bus, for
maximun speed from the hard disk(s). I heard that some company did it with
i386 motheboards - Mylex, perhaps?)

(not much needed: a 32-bit connector for more fast memory, perhaps
confirming with the EISA standard. It can be left out, for cost reasons)

(not much needed: sockets for extra cache memory, perhaps ala Mac IIci,
with largest cache size set at 256KBytes).

This hardware fulfills my personal computing needs (ray tracing,
radiosity, etc.), and I would like to get such a motherboard (without
memory) with $1500-$2000.  (the $2000 price is the upper limit for ALL the
above mentioned features, while the $1500 includes the SCSI controller I
mentioned)

I have a simple question:

Does any company, at this time, sells i486 motherboards?  I need to see
technical details, not marketing hype.

(I saw Micronics ad in Byte's special issue for PCs, but it didn't say
much..) And in Greece it's a VERY slow process to get more info from
manufacturers...

Please reply by e-mail. If enough interest is generated, I'll post a
summary to the net.

Nikolaos "Nick" Fotis,
16 Esperidon St.,
Halandri, GR - 152 32,
Athens, Greece

e-mail:
nfotis@theseas.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 89 17:20:02 EST
From: "Christopher M. Sedore" <RSCMS@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU>

I would like any available info on an IBM 5192 terminal emulator for the
PC.  I just bought an IBM system 34 and this seems to be the only terminal
it supports.  If anyone has additional info on the Sys/34, I would
appreciate hearing it...

Chris Sedore
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1989  00:52 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Lists of currently available books on WordPerfect & Lotus 1-2-3

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1989  12:57 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.emulators>
22NCE125.ARC    Z80 CP/M emulator for MS-DOS systems v1.25

<msdos.desqview>
CNTDWN.ARC      Countdown timer with alarm for Desqview

<msdos.zmodem>
DSZ1114.ARC     X/Y/Zmodem protocol file transfer pgm 11/14/89

<msdos.trojan-pro>
CKOT095.ARC     Checks archived files for viruses (req. SCANV)
SCANRS49.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
SCANV49.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 51 viruses

Note: the three files above were obtained from the Homebase BBS.

<msdos.screen>
VIZ230.ARC      TSR to speed video BIOS, set RAW mode, more

<msdos.pcmag>
VOL8N21.ARC     PCMag CASE.WKS,CHG,EDITOR.BAS,PCMANAGE,TEXTCOM

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1989  22:45 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Official version of PCcurses uploaded to SIMTEL20