Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/08/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  8 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 110

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                   comp.sys.ibmpc.binaries availability
                           Re: BITNET/UUNET doc?
                     IBM AT ignores floppies (2 msgs)
                                Null Modem
           Modems, Commands and Protocols info sources requested
                              Multi-user 286
                    Need help reducing size of EXE file
                        Project Management packages
                      Single Machine - Multiple Users
                   Timing a Commercial Software Package
Today's Queries:
         Connecting Apple PS printer to mulitple PCs and a MAC II
                   Porting Hypercard utilities to the PC
                            Hypercard/hypertext
                              INT10H-PROBLEMS
                               LINT Program
                         Logitech Publisher Files?
                                 plotters
                          Windows286, DESQview286

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) and TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 22:10:05 PST
From: netinfo@garnet.berkeley.edu (Postmaster & BITINFO)
Subject: Re: comp.sys.ibmpc.binaries availability

   Date:       Wed, 22 Nov 89 11:36:56 GMT
   From:       MBPPXMH%CMS.MANCHESTER-COMPUTING-CENTRE.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

>  Do any of you know where the Usenet newgroup comp.sys.ibmpc.binaries
>is archived (I think that is the correct group name)...

The USENET news group "comp.sys.ibmpc.binaries" is now
"comp.binaries.ibm.pc":

   comp.binaries.ibm.pc    Binary-only postings for IBM PC/MS-DOS. (Moderated)
   comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d  Discussions about IBM/PC binary postings.

In the USA "comp.binaries.ibm.pc" software may be found on the Internet in
the Washington University Public Domain Archives in the directory:
usenet/comp.binaries.ibm.pc

I suspect there may be a local archive on your side of the ocean.  The
folks at UKC may be able to help you locate one in Great Britain or put
you in contact with USENET news nodes in Manchester that might be able to
help.

#N      ukc
#O      UKnet Backbone, Computing Laboratory, University of Kent
#C      Peter Houlder (general), Ian Harding (news)
#E      uknet@ukc.ac.uk, news@ukc.ac.uk
#T      +44 227 764000 x7568 (general), x7619 (news)
#P      Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF

Extract from Internet Resources Guide (see guide for full abstract):

             Washington University Public Domain Archives

     Description

     A huge archive of  public  domain  and  shareware  software,
including  complete  collections  of  most of the source and binary groups
from USENET, as well  as  an  official  mirror copy  of  the  Info-Mac
archives.   Also  maintained in the archive is the complete source to TeX
and  the  X  windowing system (Version 11R3) and all of the GNU Project
Software. A complete set of the Request For  Comment  (RFCs)  documents,
and  Internet  Experiment  Notes (IENs) may also be found in the archives.

     Network Access

     The archives are currently accessible through anonymous  FTP from
wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4].

     Who Can Use the Archive

     Anyone may use the archives freely at any time.

"README" file:

Questions, requests and comments about the archives should be mailed to
archives@wugate.wustl.edu.

There are two listings of the files in this archive

   ls-lR                ls-lR.Z (compressed version of ls-lR)
   files.lst            files.lst.Z (compressed version of files.lst)

which are in different formats.  ls-lR was made with the UNIX command "ls
-lR" (why are you not surprised?) and files.lst was made using the 'find
-ls' command.  The files.lst file shows the complete path of each file in
the archives.  There are also compressed versions of the two listing files
that are MUCH smaller; just add ".Z" to the name of the listing file.

Here is an example of the format of each listing file, so that you won't
have to download both of them:

==> ls-lR <==
total 2038
-rw-r--r--  1 root         1501 May 12 22:05 arrangement
d--x--x--x  2 root          512 Apr 30 21:58 bin
d--x--x--x  2 root          512 May 12 21:57 etc
-rw-rw-r--  1 root      1239347 May 21 06:28 files.lst

==> files.lst <==
-rw-r--r--  1 root     archive      1501 May 12 22:05 ./arrangement
-rw-rw-r--  1 root     archive   1239347 May 21 06:28 ./files.lst
-rw-rw-r--  1 root     wheel         398 Apr 30 20:51 ./fixes/BSD.VAX/README
-rw-rw-r--  1 root     wheel       44032 Apr 30 20:36 ./fixes/BSD.VAX/chfn

The file 'arrangement' shows the current structure of the archive with a
short explanation of what everything is.

Most of the files in the archive are compressed with the UNIX COMPRESS
program.  If you don't have access to a machine which can uncompress a
file, send mail to archives@wugate.wustl.edu and we will try to make an
uncompressed version of the file available.

The archives are available for mounting over the network via NFS.  Send
mail to archives@wugate.wustl.edu for more information.

"arrangement" file:
===================

Current Archive Organization:

/bin            (system support programs)
/etc            (system support information)

/ls-lR          output of ls -lR of the archives
/files.list     like above but with full pathnames shown for each file

/pub            Public access directory -- leave contributions here

/fixes          Binary and source replacements for brain-damaged OS software

   /BSD.VAX
   /SunOS.Sun3
   /SunOS.Sun4
   /Ultrix.RISC
   /Ultrix.VAX

/gnu            The latest and greatest GNU Project software

/graphics       Graphics programs and files

   /gif
   /lpr_art
   symlink -> /usenet/info-mac/art/gif
   symlink -> /usenet/comp.sources.x

/info           General interest information and standards documents

   archive.sites
   mailing.lists
   /rfc
   /ien

/mirrors        Other archives wuarchive maintains a "mirror" of

   /info-mac    The info-mac archives from sumex-aim.stanford.edu
   /msdos       The MSDOS archives from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

/network_info   (Local Interest) Information about the Washington U. network

/packages       Various packages runnable on multiple systems

   /X11
   /tex
   /uupc

/systems        System-specific programs for various PCs and Workstations

   /sun
      /sun-exchange
   /apple2
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.binaries.apple2
   /ibmpc
      /msdos
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.binaries.ibm.pc
   /mac
      symlink -> /mirrors/info-mac
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.binaries.mac
   /atari
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.binaries.atari.st
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.sources.atari.st
   /amiga
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga
      symlink -> /usenet/comp.sources.amiga
   /sun
      /sun-exchange

/unix           The public portions 4.3BSD and archived bug fixes from UCB

   /4.3BSD-tahoe
   /comp.bugs.4bsd

/usenet         Archived files from USENET

   /comp.binaries.*
   /comp.sources.*
   /net.sources

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 20:23:47 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: Re: BITNET/UUNET doc?

Try looking in the October 1986 issue of "The Communications of the ACM".
That issue had a good discussion of how the nets interconnect.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 11:43:19 EST
From: rrb@math.wayne.edu (Robert Bruner)
Subject: IBM AT ignores floppies

We have an IBM AT that is several years old, and has recently developed
the inability to read floppies.  I can't even boot from the Diagnostics
floppy:  it checks the floppies (their lights go on) and then boots from
the hard disk.  The copy of Command.Com  on the hard disk is also a little
peculiar:  about 17K with a date of 1983.  I suspect a user copied his/her
floppy onto the hard disk back when the floppies were still readable.

Any suggestions other than: check the cables, then replace the controller
board?

reply to rrb@math.wayne.edu or if that fails, to
rrb%math.wayne.edu@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

Robert Bruner
Dept of Math
Wayne state University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 19:30:29 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Try removing the CMOS RAM battery. (IF you DON'T have your SETUP program
on hard-disk.)

Removing the battery will make your AT know nothing about equipment
installed exxcept the floppies.  Re-run SETUP and check that the dates for
IBMBIO, IBMDOS and COMMAND are the same as the ones on your floppy MASTER
DOS Diskette... (for whatever DOS you're running...  IBMBIO, IBMDOS are
hidden...)

That should get you back on the air.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

PS - Make SURE the power is OFF before you open the case and remove the
     battery.  You don't have to close the case back up to test, but
     you should close it up eventually...  OH yes, don't make changes to
     cables, battery, cards, et al with power on!  Power off before you change,
     power back on afterwards...

PPS - I'm sure to get 'blasted' on this...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 12:23:59 EST
From: Jeffrey Marans <JEFF%NRCVM01.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: null modem

Norman Miller wrote in [V89.101] asking about a null modem hookup using a
4 wire phone jack.  I suggest he begin reading at page 53 in Martin
Seyer's book RS-232 Made Easy.  He'll notice that pins 2 and 3 have to be
crossed, and ground pins 1 and 7 should go straight through.  How he takes
care of RTS, CTS, DCD, DSR, and DTR will depend upon his equipment and his
ingenuity.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 12:21:52 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Modems, Commands and Protocols info sources requested

On Tue, 07 Nov 89 16:37:55 you said:

>I am doing a project in Plymouth on intelligent modems and ibm pcs'. I am
>having difficulty obtaining some information:
>
>1. AT commands
>
>2. MNP protocol (all levels)

Here are some files in the SIMTEL20 archives that might be of use:

1WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL PUBLIC DOMAIN LISTING AS OF 89/11/21
0NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

0Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBS>

  Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
 GAPCTTY.ARC   B  10444  881003  Enhanced replacement for DOS CTTY. No I/O rdir
 GATEWAY.ARC   B   6136  880726  NON-CTTY device driver for COM/works with DD
 GATEWAY2.ARC  B   7536  880726  Simultaneous use of COMx and CON
 NEWHOST.ARC   B   1544  880829  CTTY addition - local echo/typing on console
 RINGDET2.ARC  B   8946  880103  Telephone line ring detector resets computer

0Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>

  Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
 1RD.ARC       B  55936  870613  Jim Button's 1-RingyDingy communications pgm
 ADDEXT20.ARC  B  27107  891105  External protocol manager for comm programs
 ASM-TERM.ARC  B   6635  880829  Simple interrupt-driven terminal w/src/A86asm
 ASYNC.ARC     B  42186  870307  Asynchronous communications routines
 ASYNC1.ARC    B  16250  880808  COMM driver [.ASM]
 ASYNC2.ARC    B  25454  880808  COMM driver [.ASM]
 BREAKBOX.ARC  B   6400  861109  Software-based RS232 breakout box
 CDTEST.ARC    B   1680  880829  Determine modem carrier detect status in .BATs
 CKCD11.ARC    B   9350  890915  Check modem CD status from cmd line, w/TC src
 COMM.C        A   5080  840406  COMM driver [.C]
 COMM.DOC      A   1636  840406  Doc for COMM.C
 COMSET52.ARC  B  16436  890530  Test/initialize/reset modem and serial port
 DB9-DB25.ARC  B    384  870629  Wiring info: DB9 to DB25 serial connector
 DIALER95.ARC  B  10231  880612  Auto dialer - background
 DOSMODEM.ARC  B   4063  880808  Turn DTR on/off & send AT cmds to modem
 GLASSMDM.ASM  A  19022  860715  COMM driver
 GLASSTTY.ASM  A   4251  850911  Dumb terminal for GLASSMDM comm driver
 GLASSTTY.PAS  A   2211  851105  Dumb terminal for GLASSMDM comm driver
 HAYSTST.ARC   B   1693  871121  Check Hayes compatibility of your mdm
 KOMM.ASM      A  29682  850707  COMM driver
 KOMM.INFO     A   1217  850707  Doc for KOMM.ASM
 MNP.ARC       B  64568  880829  C source - program talks directly to MNP modem
 MNP-9.ARC     B   6547  880921  Discussion of MNP protocols, levels 1-9
 MODCMD16.ARC  B  10232  890824  Sends commands to modem from DOS command line
 MODNOISE.ARC  B  18757  890116  Good text files on modem noise fixes
 MT224EH9.ARC  B  14168  880705  MNP setup for MultiTech modems
 NOISE-1.ARC   B   3513  881130  Do-it-yourself hardware to clean up phone line
 OFFHOOK.ARC   B  19999  890106  Take your modem off-hook with this program
 PD6.ARC       B 155232  880717  Hayes-compatible modem dialer
 PHONE10.ARC   B  77776  890513  Non-memory-resident telephone dialing program
 PROTOCOL.ARC  B   4848  880614  Discussion of the various protocols available
 RINGER.ARC    B  16886  881220  Comp. speaker 'rings' when called onmodemline
 RS203.ARC     B   6303  890226  Serial port status utility
 RS232.ARC     B   4006  870805  Source for COMM drivers (.ASM)
 RS232OF2.ARC  B   1797  890211  Turn off all four MSDOS COM ports
 SERIAL.AQM    B   3328  851208  Serial/COMM port driver (squeezed)
 SERIAL.DOC    A   2003  831203  Doc for SERIAL.AQM
 SERINT.AQM    B   3200  851208  Interrupt-driven serial port driver
 SETMODEM.ARC  B  13898  890124  Set up modems for BBS use, with Pascal source
 STAYCOM2.ARC  B  36181  880523  Stay resident terminal prog. IBM DOS only req.
 SUBWAY21.ARC  B  10710  890922  Simple TSR Comm Program ver2.1 /Com/Docs
 TANDEM31.ARC  B 122266  881111  Operate PC remotely like Remote/CarbonCopy

0Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PACKET>
  Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
 DOSGAT18.ARC  B 217744  890403  Operate MSDOS remotely via RS-232 serial port

0Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
  Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
 TCOMM11.ARC   B  29003  870807  Serial port library for Turbo C

0Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>
  Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
 ASYNC4.ARC    B  22578  880829  Interrupt driven serial line terminal routines
 COMMCALL.ARC  B   3584  890404  TurboPascal routines to handle COM ports
 COMSET.ARC    B   2752  890902  TurboPas routines to enable/access COM1/COM2
 IO5150.PAS    A   8757  840824  COMM port driver
 LCOMMTP.ARC   B  60114  880126  Turbo Pascal Communications Tool Box
 LTCOMM50.ARC  B 129828  890623  LiteComm communications library for TP 5.0
 MAKEWIND.ARC  B   8192  870620  Like 123 menus. (needs menus.arc)
 TTY.ARC       B   6383  880620  Small communications utility in TurboPascal 4

.ARC files can be unpacked using the PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PK361.EXE from
SIMTEL20.

If an ARC file is brought to a VM mainframe before being downloaded to IBM
PC, then the documentation can be read on CMS using the ARCUTIL command.
The ARCUTIL package may be obtained from LISTSERV@RPIECS e.g. TELL
LISTSERV AT RPIECS GETND ARCUTIL PACKAGE.

Hope this helps.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 12:39:08 EST
From: "Richard J. Reiner" <RREINER%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: multi-user 286

On a 286, it's a bad idea.  XENIX-286 would be the only way that's any
good, and it's not great.  Don't even consider running any of the
multi-user DOS clones (PC-MOS, MultiWare, VM/386 multiuser, etc) on a 286.

On a 386, however, it can be done easily, and is in fact often done.  Last
year I installed a PC-MOS/386 system with 22 (yes, twenty two) terminals
hung on a 386/25 (with SRAM cache, smart serial cards, caching disk
controller, etc).  Performance at each terminal is at 8Mhz AT level on the
average (if everybody wants to do a big search at once, it drops
considerably).  Despite the flakiness of earlier releases, the current
PC-MOS code is stable and reliable.

The various 386 *nix'es won't support as many users, but then they're
UNIX.

--Richard

.. ..Richard J. Reiner .. BITNET ...... rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca ......... ..
.. ...................... old BITNET .. rreiner@yorkvm1 .............. ..
.. ...................... Internet .... grad3077@writer.yorku.ca ..... ..

------------------------------

Date: Thu Nov 23 12:28:04 GMT 1989
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Need help reducing size of EXE file

>   We have one include file (STARTUP.H) that contains all of our global
> definitions.  This file also contains includes for every .H file used by
> the entire program. ...
> ... it still is including several other .H files (math.h, malloc.h,
> etc.).  Could this be adding extra size to the EXE file?

Shouldn't be.  The linker should only pick out those functions that are
actually called, not just declared.

Do you want to shrink the file itself, or the memory used on execution?
We had the latter problem on a similar sized project; the temporary answer
was to use an overlay linker such as Phoenix Technologies' "plink86".
This actually makes the file itself bigger tho'.

Long term, we are having to think OS/2 ...

To reduce the file itself, you may be able to reduce the data areas if you
have large static arrays.  Using malloc will allocate these on the heap at
runtime instead of embedding them in the file.  But EXEPACK probably does
this job better anyway.

--
Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 12:08:13 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Project Management packages.

On Wed,  8 Nov 89 11:24:39 -0500 (EST) "Curtis P. Yeske" <cy13+@andrew.cmu.edu>
said:

>I am looking for project management packages.  Cost is of minor
>importance.  If you know of good/bad ones, please let me know.

You might try the Wings product, from

AGS Management Systems
880 First Avenue
King of Prussia
PA 19406
(215)-265-1550

Date: Thu Nov 23 12:46:32 GMT 1989
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Single Machine - Multiple Users

You can do it with Xenix.  You can run a lot of the Dos stuff under VP/IX,
though its not cheap for many users.  A 386 is what you'd really need.

Date: Wed Nov 22 15:43:55 GMT 1989
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Timing a Commercial Software Package

Well, at the risk of being over simplistic, you could write a .bat file like:

        echo B >>log
        time <line.dat >> log
        application
        echo E >>log
        time <line.dat >> log

where line.dat just contains 1 empty line.  You would then need a suitable
program (awk?!) to work out the total time used.  It only gives elapsed
time, of course.  Alternatively, you could buy or write an equivalent of
the *nix "time" command (e.g.  MKS) - fairly trivial to do in C.

Of course, all this is useless if the application can't be run in this way
from a .bat file ...

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 11:45:44 -0800
From: Stan Stead <stan@anes.ucla.edu>
Subject: Connecting Apple PS printer to mulitple PCs and a MAC II

We have several PC's in a remote site.  In addition we are adding a MAC
II.  I would like to put an Apple PS Laserwriter with the MAC II, but have
a way to connect the PC's to it also.  I would prefer a swith-box
solution, where I could use existing serial/parallel ports on the PCs to
communicate with the Laserwriter.  What is available?  I would very much
like to avoid adding additional hardware to the PCs.  Thank you.

Stanley W. Stead
UCLA School of Medicine / Dept of Anesthesiology
BELL:   (213) 206-6238
ARPA:   stan@anes.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 12:35:35 EST
From: Jeffrey Marans <JEFF%NRCVM01.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Porting Hypercard utilities to the PC

The Technical Information Group here at Canada's National Research Council
has developed a number of data bases using MAC's and hypercard based
utilities.  Has anyone given any thought to cross over programs that will
port these kind of data bases to PC's?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 15:30:00 EST
From: NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA
Subject: Hypercard/hypertext

  I've had a student ask me if there is any program similar to the
HyperCard system on Macintoshes that runs on IBM PCs and clones.  Either
MS-dos or unix .   Someone mentioned a program called either "Owl" or
"Guide" or maybe both but there is nothing certain about them. Does anyone
know of hypertext programs in the IBMPC world?

They say I am a miser but I do not buy that-- old Slovak proverb

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 13:27:45 MEZ
From: Ghost <UZR50F%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: INT10H-PROBLEMS

Hi there,

i have got a big problem. My PC/XT is running with a VGA-adaptor-card,
which can emulate all other modes: Hercules, CGA, EGA, VGA.  It also can
run in Video-mode of 1024x768 pixels.

The character set of the card isn't so good, so i think that i can load
another character set in it. the program CHET (directory MSDOS.EGA) from
TRICKLE worked, but it is too large, because of the 8x14 font-editor in
it. i have got a much better font editor. so i tried to write an program
which load a font into the card. The problem came now:

I couldn't find any documentation about functions 1Dh to 39h from interupt
10h (the video handler).

i know that every character handling functions are hidden somewhere in
this space.

The TRICKLE documents from directory SYSUTL 1216REF.ARC and INTER589.ARC
have the same hole. All literature seems to ignore this space between 1Dh
and 39h.

DO ANYONE HAVE SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THESE FUNCTIONS? PLEASE SEND IT TO
UZR50F at DBNRHRZ1.BITNET (VM/CMS)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13-Nov-1989 16:42:00.61 CST
From: <silber%TAMCHEM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> (Steve Silber)
Subject: LINT Program

     Does anyone know of a LINT program that will work with the Microsoft
C 5.1 compiler source code?  I've used a version on our Unix main frame
and found it useful, but it doesn't produce really meaningful diagnostics
on PC source files.

     A public domain version would be nice, but I'll consider commercial
versions as well.

   Also, I've had trouble sending this note to info-ibmpc-request@
simtel20.army.mil.  Is anyone else having these problems?  The mail keeps
getting returned as undeliverable, destination unknown.

ADVthanksANCE,
Steve Silber                           SILBER@TAMCHEM
Texas A&M University                   SILBER@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
Department of Chemistry

[Try sending the note to <info-ibmpc-request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> or
<info-ibmpc@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> instead of <...@simtel20.army.mil>
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 23:22 EDT
From: Nutsy Fagen <MJB8949@ritvax.bitnet>
Subject: Logitech Publisher Files?

We recently came across a copy of Logitech Publisher which had been
'hidden away'.  Does anyone out there kow where I can get additional
graphics files for this program, or if it has been updated beyond our
current, 1987 (Ver 1.00) program.

Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 11:58 MET
From: "Anneke" <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: plotters

Hello Networkers,
Is there anybody out there who can recommend a book about plotters or any
other information source. I am working on a drawing program which among
other things will send output to a plotter. I want to make it as universal
as possible, covering a wide range of plotters. I have not much
information about any other plotter than my own. Incidentally, I am
writing this program in Turbo-C but I post this question on many bulletin
boards.

Thanks, Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Holland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 89 17:32 EST
From: "GASPAR KIRALY,JR" <V2173WXV@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Windows286, DESQview286

Hi,
I have a couple questions concerning multi-tasking.  First, I heard that
desqview cannot use ems4.0 but only eems, right?  How about windows286?
Can it use ems4.0 or it is as limited as desqview286?  Also, I have a DTK
286/12 motherboard, with 1meg of memory, BUT without a EMS4.0 driver. Can
someone tell me where can I get a driver to convert that 360K or so, to
EMS4.0? PD would be the best...

                   Thanks,
                            Gaspar Kiraly,Jr.
                             v2173wxv@ubvms