[comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest] Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #116b

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/14/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 14 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 116b

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                DOSTeX DVIEPS driver (Info-IBMPC v89 #111)
                       expanded and extended memory
                   Finding a good Intel 486 Motherboard
                       integration of ems and cache
                          Kermit key definitions?
                  LaTeX for the PC (Info-IBMPC v89 #111)
                    Printer drivers for Works (request)
                   Purchasing & Accounts Payable system
                    Where to find a PD version of LaTeX

New Programs:
           EPISTATX.ARC - Menu eXtension package for EPISTAT 3.0
           TPFORT12.ARC - Call MS Fortran from Turbo Pascal 5.5
             TSPAS17.ARC Turbo Pascal 4.0 and 5.0 units update
         VB_110.ARC - Virus Buster v1.10, virus detection/removal
        WEBTP55.ARC - WEB system of structured doc for TP55, w/src

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain), TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and
TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 02:31:25 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: DOSTeX DVIEPS driver (Info-IBMPC v89 #111)

I've used the DVI driver in the version of DOSTeX found on Simtel20 on an
Epson FX-286 without a hitch.  Sounds to me like you're having a printer
buffer overflow problem of some sort.  Have you ever copied other large
bitmaps to your printer in the same fashion?  It is, however, possibly an
incompatibility problem, as all of the various DVIEPS varients out there
seem very sensitive to exactly which Epson or clone thereof they are being
used with.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu (address to go away Jan/90, new one not known)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 89 21:26:09 EST
From: Claude Daoust <CDAOUST%UOTTAWA.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: expanded and extended memory

As a novice reading this list I am usually left a bit perplexed by the
answers to those questions pertaining to extending or expanding a pc's
memory.  I am very interested in learning more about this and was
wondering if someone could reccommend a good book on the subject.  Not
looking for anything too technical but maybe some practical end-user type
knowledge of this subject.

                          thank you,
                                    Claude Daoust (CDAOUST@UOTTAWA.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 22:09:20 EST
From: lowey@DVINCI.USask.CA
Subject: Finding a good Intel 486 Motherboard

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL:

> I would like to bring your focus on the problem of finding a good and
> agressively-priced Intel 486 motherboard.

  This is sort of related. I was just at an IBM product announcement
describing the latest version of OS/2, and some products out for PS/2
computers.

  Apparantly, for $2000 Canadian you can get a 486 bus master for PS/2
computers using the microchannel bus.  Just slip the card in any PS/2 with
a microchannel and suddenly you have a 486 processor IN ADDITION TO your
286 or 386 processor.  You can use this under MS-DOS or OS/2.  OS/2 2.0
will use both the 486 and 286 or 386 chips when running jobs.

  For about $1500 Canadian you can get a 386 bus master.

  Contact your local IBM dealer for more information.

- Kevin Lowey @ 1:140/43 - LOWEY@SASK.USASK.CA - ...!alberta!dvinci!lowey

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 7:22:03 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: integration of ems and cache

This is an idea for a way to get greater speed and capability from your
computer.  I do not know enough of the details of EMS memory and disk
management to implement this myself, but I am sure there are some
industrious hackers out there that will be able to do this and sell it (or
give it) to me.

The idea is that you want all the capability of ems, and all the speed of
disk caching, but you do not know ahead of time for which purpose you will
want to use the memory.  I have sketched out the algorithm in high-level
pseudo code.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

allocate_ems:
    {
    if any real ems memory free then
        return a new block
    else if any disk blocks in cache then
        deallocate oldest cache block
        return the memory used by oldest disk block
    }

write_disk_block:
    {
    write block to disk
    call insert_block_in_cache
    update cache ordering record
    }

read_disk_block:
    {
    if block in cache
        copy from cache to buffer
    else
        read block from disk
        call insert_block_in_cache
    update cache ordering record
    }

insert_block_in_cache
    {
    if any real ems memory free then
        call allocate_ems
        place data in new ems block
    else if any data in cache
        replace oldest cache block with this block
    }

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 89 13:53:14 GMT
From: Niall Downey <NDOWNE90%IRLEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Kermit key definitions?

Does anyone know how to define the ENTER key on an XT (basic) PC keyboard
from KERMIT. I am trying to define it like on a VT100 keyboard. If I
define it then it also changes the RETURN key, which is VERY NASTY.  Any
help please ?

Niall Downey
University College Dublin,
Ireland.
Acknowledge-To: <NDOWNE90@IRLEARN>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 02:31:42 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: LaTeX for the PC (Info-IBMPC v89 #111)

LaTeX is a macro package that runs under TeX, not a seperate program in
its own right.  DOSTeX found on simtel20 works.  SBTeX (which may still be
available for ftp from venus.ycc.yale.edu) is somewhat faster but doesn't
self-install.  Public-TeX (which you can get by mail from
LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.BITNET) actually comes with source code for Turbo Pascal.
All are available from Aston, if other sources don't pan out.  See
Info-IBMPC v89 #111 for more information on that and where to get Nelson
Beebe's drivers (science.utah.edu).

All the above is available from me on floppy, but that's silly if you can
ftp.  :-)

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 10:34:00 EST
From: "Assistant Director (Academic)" <BELL@UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA>
Subject: Purchasing & Accounts Payable system

I'm forwarding this message on behalf of Brian Bater our Director of
Purchasing.  Please forward any responses to this account or contact Brian
directly via phone, his phone number is listed in his signature.  Many
thanks.

-- msg follows ---

Dear Madam/Sir:

I am searching for a good prepackaged Purchasing and Accounts Payable
software system that is PC-based and IBM compatible.

I would appreciate your contacting me concerning any software you may be
using in your operation.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Bater
Director of Purchasing
University of Winnipeg
(204) 786-9701
Fax: (204) 783-4781

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 21:49:16 EST
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: Where to find a PD version of LaTeX

Don,
  I am currently using the LaTeX version found in the Simtel20 Archives.
I can't at the moment remember which directory of the archives, I think
that it was <msdos.tex>.  You will have to download all 6 disks of this
stuff and it will take up some of your hard disk.

  I have got it to work, but on my machine, the autoinstall failed.  I
don't know if this is a compatability problem or a corrupted file.  I have
an IBM-AT with an INBOARD 386 and have really never had any compatability
problems.  While the LaTeX and TeX versions work fine, although I had to
change the ram constant they set up in the batch file to create the
executable to be a larger value to deal with (real problems: Quantum
Mechanics class notes, homeworks, and exams) it works fine.  On the other
hand, I have not managed to get their printer driver to work with my Epson
lx800 printer yet.  I know it produces proper DVI file output because I
can upload the dvi files to the local sun system here and use the dvi to
postscript driver to get them out on the printer there and all works well.
Processing speed is not bad on my machine (si:18.2) and takes about 10
minutes to process 100 pages of nasty formulas and text.  If you start to
work with this I would be interested in helping you get started to find
out where these software problems are comming from.

David M. Zielke
zielke@phy.duke.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1989  22:20 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: EPISTATX.ARC - Menu eXtension package for EPISTAT 3.0

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1989  14:38 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TPFORT12.ARC - Call MS Fortran from Turbo Pascal 5.5

This is a correction on my previous announcement of this file.  The
subject line had the filename misspelled.

I have received some messages from LISTSERV users wanting to know how long
it takes for the server to know about new files.  The answer is two days
maximum, according to the LISTSERV administrators I have asked.  If your
LISTSERV or TRICKLE server takes longer than this, please complain to the
administrator of that server.  SIMTEL20 does NOT run these servers.

--Keith

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1989  14:22 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TSPAS17.ARC Turbo Pascal 4.0 and 5.0 units update