Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/16/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 16 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 113

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                             2 machine network
                             Re: Call Waiting
                   Help getting SIMTEL20 files to BITNET
                            Re: Why MS-Windows?
                               TeX archives
                          TeX to/from WordPerfect
                    Re: Null Cable Networking Software
                      Re: pcFAX, Windows and Wyse 700

Today's Queries:
                          1-2-3 2.01 VGA Drivers
               Overlays in C or Using Extended Memory and C
                               Huffman codes
                             Telix info wanted
                      UUDECODE crash on network drive
               Word 5.0, postscript, Vax, and PrintServer40
                  Help Formatting 720K disks to 1.44 Megs
                      Undocumented Driver DEVCOM.SYS

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 02:30:14 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: 2 machine network

>However, I recall seeing somewhere or another an advertisement for
>software which would cause such a connection to work as a network so that
>I could reference the disk on the other machine by using some drive
>letter.  Could someone help me to locate the software and/or vendor for
>doing this?

You may be thinking of Desklink by Traveling Software.  You can reach them
at (800)343-8080 or (206)483-8088.  The first two features listed in their
summer catalog are:

* Connects any two computers together by ordinary RJ11 phone wire up to
100 feet.

* Complete sharing of disk drives and parallel printers between computers.

As of ~April, the list price was $170.

--Jon Radel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:32:24 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: Call Waiting

On Tue, 14 Nov 1989 13:13 EST Manjit Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.BITNET> said:

>  Call waiting service comes with a temporary disable function, that
>gets re-enabled when you hang-up.

>mst.

I don't think this can be done in Bell Canada territory (Quebec and
Ontario).

[Doesn't work with the Military system here in Korea either.  gph]

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:45:55 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Help getting SIMTEL20 files to BITNET

On Mon, 13 Nov 89 14:50:22 MEZ "M.J.Hepperle" <PACP%DS0RUS1I.BITNET> said:

>   I only have access to BITNET, so ftp is not possible for me.

Try sending mail to  BITFTP AT PUCC containing the text "HELP".  It's a
mail-oriented FTP server for BITNET users.

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 15:20:37 MEZ
From: "M.J.Hepperle" <PACP%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Why MS-Windows?

Hi MS-Windows lovers and haters,

Don Malpass asked the question "WHY?".  First I want to say that I am not
working for Microsoft...

I myself discoverd Windows on the Vectra-AT of a friend about 2 or 3 years
ago (version 1.03). I found it a nice looking surface but of little
practical use. Some months later I had the problem to give a graphics
program to another friend. The program was written for my Multimode vodeo
card and he had a Hercules card.  So he had to rewrite the whole video
stuff (At this time there was no Quick-C or Turbo-C with its exchangable
video drivers).  When this happened with a second program which had to be
written for three different video adapters I became interested in
MS-Windows.

  -> Device independency (screen and printer)    You can take most of the
windows programs out of the box and run them without having to find your
specific video driver (try to find a driver e.g. for the HP-Multimode
640x400 resolution for all your DOS applications).

   I have installed soft fonts for my HP Laserjet and can use them in
*ALL* my Windows applications (look at your DOS programs...). The same is
true for soft fonts on a PaintJet or fonts of a postscript printer.

   If I use my color applications on a monochrome display Windows
translates colors to dithered fills.

  -> Standard data formats (for exchange of data)  When I am preparing a
report I can cut/copy/paste text and pictures to produce a high quality
document.  I have written a program to transfer vektor graphics from our
mainframe to Metafile and MicroGrafX picture format and can easily
transfer these pictures via clipboard or disk files to e.g. Pagemaker.

  -> 'running' multiple applications at the same time: By having more than
one application open at the same time I can copy and paste information
very easy.  Under Windows/386 I can cut and paste with my DOS applications
too; I can even support the clipboard with my DOS program written e.g. in
FORTRAN.

I think this is only the tip of a very long list of positive effects of
using Windows.

When I am using my SUN-Workstation I often miss the feature of standard
file formats for graphics exchange and a clipbord for text *AND* graphics.

I think the main problem with windows is memory (and speed); but most good
windows programs are managing memory as good as possible (e.g. Excel). But
there are some real speed and memory 'hogs' out (speed: e.g. Samna AMI,
Memory Micrografix products) which are not programmed too good - this is
not a problem which is inside windows alone, some programs are not
optimized very well...

I don't want to start a religious war, but I think MS-Windows can be
usefull for many users if the try it out with applications suitable for
their Job (not the Windows environment by itself, the contained programs
like Paint and Write are only an additional 'gift'); One shouldn't juge a
book by its cover.

P.S. please excuse my ENGLISH - I am german...

      MARTIN J. HEPPERLE               MMMMMMMMMMMMH   HHH
     UNIVERSITAET STUTTGART            MM MMMMM MMMH   HHH
       PFAFFENWALDRING 9               M   MMM   MMHH HHHH
     D-7000 STUTTGART 80               M   MMM   MMHHHHHHH
        WEST GERMANY                   M   MMM   MMHH HHHH
   ------------------------            M   MMM   MMH   HHH
     PACP@DS0RUS1I.BITNET              M   MMM   MMH   HHH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 02:29:55 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: TeX archives

>Dan, according to the last list we have received here at SWT Univ., the
>TeX/LaTeX files are stored in several anonymous FTP sites.  The addresses
>I have are:

>1.  POWER.EEE.NDSU.NODAK.EDU
>2.  SUN.SDE.CLARKSON.EDU
>3.  SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (still operational?)

Two corrections:

It's SUN.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU.
         ^^^
SCORE.STANFORD.EDU is, as you feared, dead.  The official archive for TeX
files is now on LABREA.STANFORD.EDU.

The Clarkson archive echos the Stanford files and carries some additional
files, the most important being the style-file collections maintained
there.

UNIX TeX users may want to check JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU, which is also the
home of TeXhax.

SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU carries Nelson Beebe's collection of DVI drivers as well
as some other files.

LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.BITNET will send you nice things not found elsewhere,
except for possibly at Aston University in England, where they try to have
everything.  The latter is a bit difficult to use from the U.S., so I'll
refer everybody to whichever recent issue of TeXhax contains the latest
set of instructions.

--Jon Radel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 02:29:28 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: TeX to/from WordPerfect

>Does anyone know of a product that will convert TeX (or a subset thereof)
>documents to and/or from WordPerfect?  With the soon-to-be-released
>WordPerfect 5.1 and its built-in formula creation abilities, we're
>hopeful that it will be possible to move some technical documents between
>it and TeX, if such a program exists. . .

WP 5.0 to TeX is possible with Publishing Companion by K-Talk
Communications (50 McMillen Ave., Columbus, OH 43201  (614)294-3535).  It
costs $249.

As "freeware" you can get WP2TEX by Michael F. Modest.  This won't convert
an arbitrary WP file to TeX, but it does use WP as front end to TeX.
He'll sell you a copy for $10 if you specify 360KB, 1.2MB, or 1.44MB
floppies.  (Michael Modest, College of Engineering, 208 Mechanical
Engineering, Pennsylvania State Univ., University Park, PA 16802
(814)863-0976)

Anita Hoover of the Univ. of Delaware released some macros for using WP as
an editor for TeX file preperation at the 1989 TeX Users Group meeting.
You can get those from me.  (*NOT* by e-mail!!)

The latter two items can obtained from me, together with a bunch of other
TeX related material, on floppy disks.  You can get a list of what I've
got by sending an SASE with 45cents postage to me.  (Jon Radel, P.O. Box
2276, Reston, VA 22090)

As for TeX to WP, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and I know of
nobody who's been brave enough to tackle it.  The closest I can think of
are the various ``DVI2TTY'' programs which attempt to make a
human-readable, sort-of formatted, ASCII file out of an DVI file.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu (address to go away in Jan90, new one not known)

P.S. There is a digest specific to TeX:  TeXhax.  Request from
texhax-request@cs.washington.edu.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 21:11:40 CST
From: Jan Wilms <JWILMS%MSSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Null Cable Networking Software

Philip Houle:

>I have successfully connected two AT-type machines together via a NULL
>CABLE using the serial port of each machine.  I recall seeing somewhere or
>another an advertisement for software  which  would  cause  such  a
>connection  to work as a network so that I could reference  the disk on
>the other machine by using some

One software  package that does  this and was  recently favorably reviewed
in PC  Magazine is  Fastwire LX,  from Rupp Brothers. I have a  smaller
version in  ROM in my  Zenith Minisport for  file transfer. Their
technical support was very  friendly and helpful when I contacted them.

Hope this helps.

-Jan
 JWILMS @ MSSTATE (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 21:11:40 CST
From: Jan Wilms <JWILMS%MSSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: pcFAX, Windows and Wyse 700

Lew Golan writes:
>A couple of years ago, I bought a pc-FAX board by EIT. It comes with a
>run-time version of Windows.  Although I have a high-resolution Wyse 700
>(Amdek 1280) monitor, I have had to run the fax program with a CGA driver
>-- because it does not have a Wyse driver. In this low-resolution mode, I
>cannot read fax messages onscreen; I have to print them out.

If your FAX  software allows you to save your  faxes to disk, you may find
a solution in HIJAAK, which converts faxes to PCX format (and several
other formats). The Wyse monitor comes with a driver for PC Paintbrush,
which displays (and edits) PCX files.

-Jan
JWILMS @ MSSTATE (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:01:30 BST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: TVM Corp - Taiwan Video and Monitor Corp

Does anyone know how to contact TVM Corporation?

I have one of their EGA monitors - an MD-7 that I purchased in 1986 -
that finally bit the dust.  The repair technician says that it needs a
flyback transformer.  This part is not available here in Korea.  Some
friends of mine in the US have looked for this part without success.

I also need a replacement transformer board for the power supply for
this monitor.  As delivered, the monitor requires 220V line voltage.
I would like to convert it to 110V.  After examining the power supply,
it looks like the easiest way is to replace the input transformer board
in the power supply.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is contact the company directly,
but...  No address.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:36:45 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: 1-2-3 2.01 VGA Drivers

This morning I sent out a request for VGA drivers for 1-2-3 release 2.01,
stating that someone from Lotus was supposed to send me something (the
Lotus 1-2-3 Value Pack) which was supposed to solve my problems.  Well,
guess what came in the mail this morning?

Anyway, now that I have the Value Pack, I find that it only supports 43
lines (EGA), not VGA's 50 lines.  However, my monitor enters 50-line mode,
but the bottom 7 lines aren't used.

So, now the obvious question is: how can I modify SIB0E43S.DRV to use all
50 lines?  I assume it should only be a matter of changing a few bytes,
since I'm already in 50-line mode.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 16:42 H
From: <CHAIBP%NUSDISCS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Overlays in C or Using Extended Memory and C

Does anybody know how to do overlay in C? or How to make use of Extended
Memory in C?

We're in the process of developing a serious application.  Since there are
many things to handle, I can envision that the program is going to be very
big. Up to now where about 70% is completed, the execution code of the
program is more than 300Kbytes in size. With dynamic memory allocation in
the program, an additional few hundred Kbytes is needed.  640K system
memory is not sufficient for us.  That means we're doomed if we cannot
overcome this limitation.

Appparently, there are two solutions to this problem:

1. use overlay - load in part of the execution code when needed and swap
some other parts out to disk.

2. make use of Extended Memory - apparently this is a popular approach to
overcome the 640K boundary. But we've very little knowledge of how to do
this. It seems like we've to configure the memory to become Enhance Memory
and then interface to it in some standard ways.

Can anyone give us a hand on either of these approaches ?  We need help
urgently.

Chai.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 10:58:24 EXP
From: Luiz Sergio Batista Das Neves <MAB01038%UFRJ.BITNET@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: Huffman codes

Hi everybody ...

   Anyone knows hoe can i save a tree in a file more efficiently ?  I need
it to use in huffman codes routines at my university.

              Thanks for help !
                          <MAB01038@UFRJ>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 15:36 N
From: <RCCVLEO%HEITUE5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Telix info wanted

Hoi,

I do have an enormous problem: I want to register my telix version.  I do
need some information therefor. But no result on trying to contact the
writers of the package. Does any one now if they really exist. Does any
one know what the latest version is and what the new futures are?

And even more important does anyone know how to contact  the  writers?

If any one from the telix staff reads this message please contact me!  Or
tell me why it is not possible to contact me.

You can reach me: via this E-Mail address, via fax 31 (0)40 434438, Via
bulletin board fido stack: tel: 31 (0)40 456744 or by mail to:

Leo v. Nieuwenborg
Vastenavondkamstraat 53
5922 AT Blerick
Holland

thanks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 13:34 GMT
From: GROENEVELD@HDETNO51.bitnet
Subject: UUDECODE crash on network drive

Hello all of you,

I've got a "little" problem. We have a PC network called 'VMS services for
MSDOS' at which each user has a unique drive M: at his disposal. It is a
special drive at which files may be regarded both by VAX/VMS as well as
MSDOS. During reading and writing by MSDOS the files are transformed to
and from DOS format <--> VAX/RMS format. Now only by that transformation
there appears to be a problem with UUDECODE.EXE (and UUENCODE.EXE) (both
TPASCAL).  Both programs can not READ the file: starting the conversion
results in: Runtime error 005 at 0000:0325

Could anyone give me a hint on how to solve this problem?  Is it due to
the program itself, to TURBO PASCAL or to the transformation?  The problem
does not arise with local disks and network drives without transformation.

Jim Groeneveld,

Due to problems with our IN mailer the 'From:' field in the header may be
blank.

[It WAS!  When will your system administrators have that fixed?  You also
might try making your 'signature' shorter.  I think the problem may stem
from the VERY LONG 'signature' you've placed there when combined with your
long return path.  gph]

NIPG TNO - - - - - <work> - - - - -|- <home> - - - - -| GROENEVELD@HDETNO51
Postbus 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14     | GROENEVELD@TNO.NL
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet | TNOSUR::GROENEVELD
Nederland (NL)   071-178810        | 03412-60413      | RULTNO::JIM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 17:35 CST
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Word 5.0, postscript, Vax, and PrintServer40

        Has anyone used Word 5.0 on the IBM PC to produce a postscript
file and then uploaded it to a VAX for printing on a PrintServer40?  I
have tried but Word seems to produce some variant of postscript that the
PrintServer40 does not understand.  In the Mac world, I am able to upload
postscript files and then print them with a "prep" file to the
PrintServer40.  Maybe I need a "prep" file for Word produced postscript
files.  Any ideas?

Bill Bryson
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

P.S. Please reply by mail.

P.P.S.  Isn't it amazing how postscript is not postscript depending on
who's postscript we are talking about?  Wouldn't it be nice if computer
manufacturer's could do things in a STANDARD way!@#$#@$#@$.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:04:00 -0600
From: George Wang <gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Help Formatting 720K disks to 1.44 Megs

I recently brought a Toshiba 3.5" 1.44 meg High Denisty drive in hope of
being able to do a "trick" that is done on Toshiba laptops and IBM PS/2
computers...

I wanted to do some high volume backups by using regular, low cost 720K
generic disks and formatting them to 1.44 megs..  I heard that Toshiba
drives are capable of doing this...  I also have a Western Digital
WD1006-RA2 controller which supports such "intelligent" drives.. I am also
using Pheonix AT BIOS 3.10

However, I have not been able to format the disks at 1.44 megs..  It keeps
on giving me invalid media/bad track 0... The funny thing is, is that I
can use a legit 1.44 meg diskette, cover the high density hole and format
the it at 1.44 megs even though technically the drive thinks it's a 720K
disk... But this is ONLY if I use a REAL high density disk and not a fake
720K disk...

My question is how can I get it to work.. Is it something with DOS or the
BIOS..... I know Toshiba laptops  and PS/2 can do this but I can't get
mine to work.. (I am running PCDOS 3.2 by the way....)

Any ideas? Please email as I don't keep up with the newsgroups...

Thanks in advance,
George

[BUT cc: the Digest also please!]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 16:18:08 -0900
From: <GSRLR%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
SUBJECT: Undocumented Driver DEVCOM.SYS

I have a proprietary MS-DOS 3.3 from WYSE which came bundled with a
WYSEpc3216  Intel 80386/16 based platform.  On the DOS diskette was a file
labled "DEVCOM.SYS".  Reverse assemble makes it clear that this is a
driver to allow extention of DOS to utilize COM3 and COM4, where
ordinarily the box will not operate upon COM3 or COM4.

Does anyone havve any documentation for this driver, or know where I might
look?

Thanks...

Robyn Robertson
BITNET GSRLR@ALASKA
Internet: gsrlr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
U.S. Postal: P.O.Box 81638/ Fairbanks, AK   99708

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------