Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/16/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 16 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 114

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                            CAD under Windows?
                               Digest Format
                       Disable CTRL-ALT-DEL (2 msgs)
                      EGA getimage/putimage done fast
                         *nix utility ctags wanted
                              pcx effects kit
                      PostScript on an LPS40 (3 msgs)
                             Timing programmes

Today's Queries:
                   Problems with 30/10 Mbyte Partitions
                        LocalTalk Interface Boards
                             MS Windows List?
                             PS/2 Model 55 SX

New Programs:
              CONVRT12.ARC  - Hex/Dec/Oct/Bin/ASCII converter
         PP50.ARC - Pascal pretty printer/reformatter, w/TP5.0 src

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 09:39:22 GMT
From: GREENWOOD_A%PRIME3.LANCASHIRE-POLY.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: CAD under Windows?

Bob Johnson wanted a CAD package "between say AutoCad and Windows Paint"
to run under Windows.  We use Micrografx Designer, and I understand
Designer 2 is now available.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 17:54:36 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Digest Format

The summary of items at the beginning of each digest could be made more
useful if it were "keyed" to each item.

This could be done simply by putting a count 1,2,3, etc enclosed in say [[
]] to make it unique in the text.  If you then put the key after of each
message, for example, as [[4]], then one could find that message that
pertains to your title by a simple search on [[4]].

Thus in a recent listing -- Program Info on NO.COM Sought, if this
appeared as Program Info on NO.COM Sought [[5]] -- I could find it
instantly instead of poking around the entire file.  I know the editing is
a volunteer's job but this would save a lot of effort on the part of the
many recipients.

[If someone would like to give me a program that would maintain a 'master'
list of topics and that would generate 'unique' keys, I'll be glad to use
it.  As it is, I can't afford to spend any more time on the Digest.  I
already spend weekends and Wednesday afternoon putting the Digest
together.  Any help to further automate the process would not be rejected.

The program should read a 'Digest' file as input, output the topics (and
key) to a separate file, as well as generating a new digest file that
contains the topics and keys, as well as the subject lines with keys
appended.

HOWEVER, most E-Mail message handling packages ALSO include an
'undigestify' function.  This allows the digestified message to be
unpacked into its component messages and each one handled individually.
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1989  21:50:57  MEZ
From: "Stefan Schroer" <WZ036K3%DW0URZ0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Disable CTRL-ALT-DEL

In Info-IBMPC Digest  ( Mon, 27 Nov 89/Vol 89 : Issue 106) Marcelo H. Ang
Jr. asks

>Is there a way to disable the CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination to prevent
>reset ??? Any PD programs to do this would be greatly appreciated..

I'm not quite sure if this program solves your problem, but it sounds
useful. In Simtel archive there is the file " PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>HOT-36.ARC
Replace Ctrl-Alt-Del (w/ASM src)"

Enjoy
    Stefan

      : Stefan Schroer            : Bergische Universitaet :
      : Wuppertal - West Germany  :    Gesamthochschule    :
      : WZ036K3@DW0URZ0.bitnet    :       Wuppertal        :

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 05:00 PST
From: tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov (THEODORE FABIAN)

To answer a few previous questions, youu might find the following of
interest...  it is a set of programs that allow manipulation of various
key sequences... read on it you are interested...

Subject: File 1 of 4 -- Documentation
Subject: File 2 of 4 -- DEBOOT.BAS
Subject: File 3 of 4 -- SCANCODE.BAS
Subject: File 4 of 4 -- KEYKILL.BAS

Thanks,
Ted Fabian

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*
*  NASA Lewis Research Center             *
*  Cleveland, Ohio                        *
*  phone:     216-433-6307                *
*  FTS:         297-6307                  *
*  email:     tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov  *
*             tfabian@earth.lerc.nasa.gov *
*             tfabian@csd.lerc.nasa.gov   *
*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*

[The files have been forwarded to SIMTEL20.  You can find them in file
PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>SCANCAD.arc.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 05:48:25 EST
From: tpf%jdyx.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu (Tom Friedel)
Subject: EGA getimage/putimage done fast

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:
>data as 4 seperate planes and write each plane individually cutting down
>on instructions by a gianormous amount and thereby increasing speed.

>3. I will put the final bitmap loader programs (in C they'll be), along
>with a very sophisticated SPRITE editor and screen editor, up on SIMTEL as
>soon as they are finished (the latter will be on later rather than sooner
>while the bitmap loader should be ready any day..)

This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time but 'never got
around to it'.  I also am meaning to do this for the 320x400 and 360x480
tweaked VGA modes which are also not linearly mapped.  Hopefully I don't
miss your completion announcement !

>Please excuse the length of this explanation and any mistakes associated
>with it.. I hope I have helped

I didn't see any.

>Paul Hurley,
>U.C.G.,
>Ireland

Thanks,
Tom tpf@jdyx.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 14:34:26 -0100
From: Frank Slootweg CRC <hpuamsa!frank@relay.EU.net>
Subject: *nix utility ctags wanted

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #108 Ridhard Reiner <RREINER@YORKVM1.bitnet> wrote:

>In the Nov 15 Digest, I wrote:

>>Does anyone have a pointer to version of the *nix utility ctags
>>which runs on MS-DOS?

>No answers yet, but I have found one anyway, in the Unix archives at
>Simtel-20.  I've made the few small changes necessary to get it to compile
>under MS-DOS using MS C; it's quite standard, and Jove likes its output.
>If anyone wants a copy of my port, mail me at either of the addresses
>below.

  There was recently (about Nov 3) a posting of "pctags" to
"comp.binaries.ibm.pc".

  The "Subject: " line was

v05i044 pctags11, source quick locator/retrieval v1.01

  and consisted of 7 parts.

  So check "comp.binaries.ibm.pc" and/or contact its moderator. If you can
not get a copy of the stuff I'll scan my floppies and mail it (preferably
to the moderator of *this* newsgroup).  [I'll send you a message
off-line.]

Frank Slootweg, Hewlett-Packard, Dutch Customer Response Center.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 02:14:35 EST
From: Joel Spolsky <spolsky-joel@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: pcx effects kit

In Vol.89-Issue 107:

>    a while back, Ted Fabian asked about manipulation of bit-mapped images
>in the PCX format.....he wanted to do a alide ahow of scanned images, but
>no commercial software read the PCX format....

>one solution is from a company called "GENUS microprogramming"

>they sell "PCX toolkit," "PCX Effects," and "PCX Text."......

I just bought PCX toolkit for incorporation in a commercial software
product.  It's good and will save you a lot of coding time. However, the
PCX file format is not that difficult at all, and after buying the package
we realized how easy it would have been to implement on our own. However,
I would still recommend the PCX toolkit. There's a review of it in last
months Byte, or send me email for more info.

        Joel Spolsky    - spolsky@cs.yale.edu or SPOLSKY@YALECS (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: THU NOV 30, 1989 07.23.18 EST
From: "Ronald J. Hartranft" <RJH2%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu>
Subject: PostScript on an LPS40

And:      <v095juhx@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>

Regarding the question,

Has ANYONE ever printed postscript files produced on a micro on the VAX
LPS40's?  I've been trying forever, and I haven't been able to do it.

I got the following response from our computing center:

*** SUBJECT: PS printing on the VAX

In regard to your question of printing PostScript files, created on the
PC, on the VAX, it is possible.  The file must be transferred to the VAX
(generally using Kermit) and then printed using the following command:

     PRINT filename.PS /QUEUE=POST.

Good luck.

From : Ronald J. Hartranft
       Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
       Lehigh University
       Packard Lab #19
       Bethlehem, Penn. 18015

       (215)758-4109

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 89 07:43:50-0100
From: Ivan D. Reid <ivan@rzsin.sin.ch>
Subject: PostScript on PrintServer40s

   In Issue 102 Jon Luntz asked for help on printing PS files on an LPS40
VAX printer.  I sent him a message but got no reply, so I'll send directly
to the Digest.

   There are a couple of things to watch for when printing.  The first is
that the file is interpreted properly.  I wasted a lot of time last week
because the file I was working with had no record attributes; the LPS40
was interpreting the file as one record and I had a comment (%) as the
first character B-(.  Do a DIR/FULL on the file & see if it has
carriage-return carriage-control record attributes.  If not, you'll
probably have to create a FDL file from a file with the right format (a
standard file produced by EDT, e.g.) with ANALYSE/RMS/FDL=xxx, and then
convert with CONVERT/FDL=xxx file1 file2.

   Secondly, it helps to get a log if the print session doesn't work.  You
get this by adding a /PAR=(MESS) [:= /PAR=(MESS=PRINT)] or
/PAR=(MESS=KEEP) -- the first prints a log page, the second puts it into a
log-file on SYS$LOGIN (your login directory).  See HELP PRINTSERVER40 for
more details.  The log-file may be helpful if a non-printing character is
causing the problem.  I had another problem where DVIPS was putting ^D at
the start & end of the .PS file, and this didn't print on the log page
(Offending command <blank>), but showed up in EDT when I edited the
log-file.

        Hope this helps!

                        ivan                    ivan@cageir5a.bitnet
                                                ivan@rzsin.sin.ch
                                                20550::ivan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 12:30:54 EST
From: Michael_Sanders@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Postscript and the VAX

Here's the original query and what I've learned.  Michael Sanders

 From: V095JUHX@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu

 Has ANYONE ever printed postscript files produced on a micro on the VAX
LPS40's?  I've been trying forever, and I haven't been able to do it.
Please get back to me with any Ideas, I would really appreciate it.

                                               Jon Luntz
                                               V095JUHX

 [Please cc: Info-IBMPC as well.]

From: geld (Jon Geld)

All psprint does is submit to the LPS40 Postscript queue a raw postscript
file.  We don't have any problem with true Postscript, although we do run
into problems with Apple files due to some incompatibility with the
Appledict postscript dictionary.  I have tried fixing it, but it involves
some fixes that take too much time at the moment.

Some info on the LPS40 to clarify the above.  The LPS40 has an ascii
translator, a Tektronix translator, and a Regis translator all of which
translate the incoming file into postscript and then print it (the suns do
this before the file gets to the Laserwriter).  There are several queues
which feed these translators and then there is a queue which feeds
directly to the printer with no translation.  He may be having problems
with control characters at the beginning of his files, a problem which we
had.  Many PC/Mac oriented programs place a control-D at the beginning of
the file, this cannot be interpreted by the LPS40, and so the print job
dies.  To find out where he is bombing, he could try to print using his
Postscript queue with the following print qualifier:

                $PSPRINT/PARAM=(messages=print)/....

which will print a log file after his print job which will offer some
information to him.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 89 08:57:35-0100
From: Ivan D. Reid <ivan@rzsin.sin.ch>
Subject: Timing programmes

        In Info-IBMPC Digest 102, Ellen Cross asked how to time programme
usage under MS-DOS.  There are commercial programmes to do this (there was
some IRS requirement a couple of years ago to log time to justify tax
deductions), but if you have Norton's TM (TIMEMARK) utility or some other
such programme to generate a timestamp (I can't find a DOS facility to do
it) then you can set up a batch file along your path to do it:  (TM writes
about 40 spaces, then the time and date, terminated by a CR and no LF, so
the subsequent write goes to the same line).  Add paths where applicable:

@tm >>time.log
@echo Started programme %1 at >>time.log
@%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
@tm >>time.log
@echo Ended programme %1 at >>time.log

        Call this, say, logtime.bat.  Now you can invoke the programme
with logtime prog [up to 8 parameters]

and the start and end times will be written to time.log for later use.
Note that this doesn't work if the programme is invoked through a
batch-file as control doesn't return to the first batch file and the
end-time doesn't get logged.  Make another batch file logbat.bat with the
third line starting @call %1 ....  which should work for these cases.

                Ivan Reid                       ivan@cageir5a.bitnet
                                                ivan@rzsin.sin.ch
                                                20550::ivan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 11:29:39 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: File Information for PC-BLUE

When looking for file information about PC-BLUE it is NOT necessary to get
al the contents file in each volume.

<PC-BLUE.VOL000> contains complete directories for all the volumes.

Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  29 Nov 89 12:58:05 +0200
From: <KDBG100%BGUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with 30/10 Mbyte Partitions

I have a 40Mb disk, which was partitioned with 30 and 10 Mbyte partitions.

Recently I had trouble with booting from the 30 meg partition (C:). A
friend lent me Norton's Disk Doctor, which at first would not recognize
the disk, eventually however "fixing" it all. As a result, the C; disk
does boot, but the D: disk is considered not existent?!

I could try using Fdisk to create a new partition but I am afraid -- won't
I ruin everything? [yes]

I own also a copy of mace 5. Any suggestions welcome

David Leiser         kdbg100@bgunos
Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 16:54 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: LocalTalk Interface Boards

Does anyone have any experience with Daystar Digital out of Atlanta, or
more specifically, the LocalTalk LT200 interface board for PS/2 MCA
machines?   I've been using an Appletalk PC Card to connect my XT to our
Appletalk network and now I have upgraded to a PS/2 55SX.  I'd like to
know about the performance of the product, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Terry Lewis
TLEWIS@UTKVX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 21:12:06 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: MS Windows List?

Is there a list that discusses Microsoft Windows?  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 09:27 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: PS/2 Model 55 SX

I have a PS/2 Model 55 SX and have recently purchased a 1.2 Megabyte 5.25"
external floppy disk drive.  After installing it, I realized that instead
of this drive being "B:", it is "D:".  Some of my software will not work
with it being drive "D:" and I tried to use the dos assign command to no
avail.  It has a device driver and it is in the config.sys like "device=
$fdd5.sys".  Oh, it is an IBM disk drive, and there is virtually no
documentation with it.  Does anyone know if there is a switch I can put on
the device= statement in the config.sys or if there is any other way I can
permanently assign it to drive b:?

Thanks,

Terry Lewis
University of Tennessee at Martin