Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/17/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 17 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 118

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
               "Run over 640k RAM? - Graphic Emulation"
                    5.25" drives for PS/2 Model 25
                          DIR EXEC  (VM/CMS)
                   Disabling Drive A: for security
     EMUL87.ARC - TSR emulates 8087 math processor (286/386 req)
          FORTRAN with more than 640kB/1MB addressing space
                             GRAPH update
                        Wanted: APL Compiler
                Printing Word 5.0 files to VAXserver40
     Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #109/Bill Bryson's PostScript problem
                               MAC-IBM
                    Medical Office automation S/W
                     New papers on IBMPC viruses
                     Norton Utilities for DOS 4.x
              The SIMTEL20 MSDOS archive has been split
                  Request for help debugging programs
     VAR2FIX for VAX/VMS converts variable to fixed record length
                    Wordstar5.0 and Kyocera F-1200

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sat Dec 02 12:06:31 1989
From: "The Editor: Luis Valdivia P." <LVALDIVI%USACHVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: "Run over 640k RAM? - Graphic Emulation"

Hello everybody..

              I  wrote   to  Emulpc-l@Usachvm1.bitnet   that  the
    Graphic Emulation in a IBM PS/2 60, 70 and 55sx is possible. I
    must say more precisely that  the Hardware and  Software required
    is:

- Irma 3 Convertible Card (and Software). (but Irma 2 is recomended).
- IrmaX DFT (software).
- Irma DCA APA Graphics (software).

ALL FROM Digital Communication Associates.

              With this I have 150k memory free (RAM), but I need
    to run  programs that  require more  memory free  (by example
    Display Write 4) and others...:-(

              I  think in  Carousel from  SoftLogic, which  allow
    swap programs in pieces of RAM, to (or from) disk, but I must
    wait  for a keyboard module (from DCA) because in this moment
    Keyborad Irma override Carousel.

    My IBM Ps/2 have 1 Mega (RAM) HOW I CAN USE THIS MEMORY FOR TO
    RUN PROGRAMS? Any help?

    Thanks in advance...

Luis

Disclamer: "All that I say is only my thinking and not represent
            to my bosses"

Luis Ricardo Valdivia Pinto                Lvaldivi@Usachvm1.bitnet :
Memorista en Computacion e Informatic
Assmpc-l's Owner and Editor
Emulpc-l's Owner and Editor
Servicio de Computacion SECOM
Technical Support
Univeridad de Santiago de Chile

Soporte y Consultor en Computacion         Lvaldiv@Santiag2.Exxon   :
Centro de Asistencia y Soporte CATS
Cia. Minera Disputada de las Condes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 12:54 CST
From: "Nathan 'Zahmenhof' Treadway" <NTREAD%ECNCDC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: 5.25" drives for PS/2 Model 25

A friend wants to add a 5.25" drive to his IBM PS/2 Model 25, but
IBM is asking a bit too much money for their drive.  Has anyone had any
good luck with a cheaper alternative?  Brand names and model numbers
would be helpful, including information about "adapter cards" needed,
etc.  Any way to avoid giving up his second 3.5" drive? Reply directly
and I'll summarize to the list.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 5 December 1989 12:06:54 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: DIR EXEC  (VM/CMS)

I think the systems people here at UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago)
have a program which monitors the RSCS server (and perhaps the MAILER server).
It won't allow anything called DIR EXEC to be saved to the spool (RDR) or be
sent thru this node.  It also documents who sent it. They did the same thing
when the CHRISTMA EXEC hit.

Bob Johnson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 10:59 EST
From: TF402_ET@buenga.BU.EDU
Subject: Disabling Drive A: for security

Has anyone experimented with disabling drive A: (via DIP switches or the
setup program) to prevent booting from it, but using driver.sys to re-
enable it???  If this works, it would seem to be relatively easy to
maintain security on public clusters (TSR virus-hunters would thus always
be installed), but if it's that easy it probably doesn't work... =8-(

Alternatively, though this could get messy, is anyone out there enough
of an assembler programmer that they could write an appropriate device
driver???

T.E. Tuncer // TF402_ET@buenga.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1989  21:31 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: EMUL87.ARC - TSR emulates 8087 math processor (286/386 req)

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 89 13:24:10 MEZ
From: "M.J.Hepperle" <PACP%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: FORTRAN with more than 640kB/1MB addressing space

Hi everybody,

looking for a FORTRAN-Compiler for my 386 and for 286 computers
I am interested in the compilers of LAHEY; they claim to be able
to use up to 16 MB on the 286 and even more on the 386.

Because I need more then 550 kB addressing space I am looking for
a replacement for my Microsoft Compiler.

I have to make the decision to go with OS/2 or to use something like
the LAHEY products which use a DOS-Extender I suppose. Because I
already own Microsoft Fortran it seems to be simpler to switch to OS/2,
but on the other side using the 386-version of LAHEY-FORTRAN should
give improved speed using the full 386 command set and 32 bit arithmetic.

Has anyone experience with LAHEY-FORTRAN and can me supply some information
on speed improvement, Bugs, DEbugging tools and prices (approx.) ?

Are there other alternatives ?

Answers can be directed to the list or directly to me.

      MARTIN J. HEPPERLE               MMMMMMMMMMMMH   HHH
     UNIVERSITAET STUTTGART            MM MMMMM MMMH   HHH
       PFAFFENWALDRING 9               M   MMM   MMHH HHHH
     D-7000 STUTTGART 80               M   MMM   MMHHHHHHH
        WEST GERMANY                   M   MMM   MMHH HHHH
   ------------------------            M   MMM   MMH   HHH
     PACP@DS0RUS1I.BITNET              M   MMM   MMH   HHH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1989  08:50 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: GRAPH update

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 14:16 EST
From: Don Kazem <DKAZEM%NAS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Wanted: APL Compiler

           I am looking for an APL compiler. Is there any such compiler
           on Simtel?

           Could someone please help or point me in the right direction?

           Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 18:58:34 PDT
From: "Sam Cropsey, Microsystems Mngr." <SAM%POMONA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Printing Word 5.0 files to VAXserver40

This is in reply to Bill Bryson's question concerning Word 5.0 and
printing postscript files to a VAXServer40.

I do not know if this will help, but we use TOPS and TOPS NetPrint to print
from our IBM PC's to our Apple LaserWriters.  For some reason, NetPrint
needed us to make some changes to the Word postscript initialization (prep)
file.  Therefore, I suggest you contact whatever company is supplying the
software that sends the postscript file to the printer on the Vax.  Otherwise,
respond to me directly and I can send you the changes we made to our
POSTSCRP.INI and POSTSCRL.INI files.

 **  Sam Cropsey                  **   BITNET: SAM@POMONA            **
 **  Microsystems Manager         **                                 **
 **  640 N. College Avenue        **                                 **
 **  Claremont, CA  91711         ** Seaver Academic Computing Srvcs.**
 **  (714) 621-8061               **   P O M O N A   C O L L E G E   **

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 16:09:43 PST
From: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi)
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #109/Bill Bryson's PostScript problem

Microsoft Word requires you to precede your PostScript output with a 'prep'
file that they provide with Word. PostScript is quite standard; you just have
to use all the pieces that your application requires in order for you to print
your document.

For example, I use GoScript, which is a PostScript interpreter, in order to
print PostScript output on my HP LaserJet II. GoScript doesn't understand the
output of Word unless I precede that output with a 'prep' file supplied by
Microsoft. This 'prep' file defines a bunch of routines that permits Word to
output a pretty compact file instead of a very verbose 'plain vanilla
PostScript' file. After all, PostScript is a user-extensible version of the
Forth programming language and who is to say that Microsoft can't extend it?

Anyway, Bill should have no problems if he precedes his Word output with the
prep file.

(I have no relationship whatsoever with Microsoft, LaserGo, or Adobe other
than that I use their products.)

Michael Lampi               MDL Corporation   213/782-7888   fax 213/782-7927

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com
"My opinions are that of my corporation!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 89 16:59:03 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: MAC-IBM

I need a program which will add a Macintosh header to a binary file.
I'm trying to transfer via modem a file from my IBM to a friend's Mac
(GIF files, to be exact), but his communications program doesn't seem
to add a header.  Therefore, I need either a new communications program
(for Mac, obviously), or a file to add headers.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 15:22:13 mez
From: cgch!bpistr@relay.EU.net
Subject: Medical Office automation S/W

	Does anyone have any information on
office automation type systems for medical
offices, particularly a dental practice.

				-jcp-

 Joseph C. Pistritto               'Think of it as Evolution in Action'
   Ciba Geigy AG, R1241.1.01, Postfach CH4002 Basel, Switzerland
   Internet: bpistr@cgch.uucp                  Phone: (+41) 61 697 6155
   Bitnet:   bpistr%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet   Fax:   (+41) 61 697 2435
   From US:  cgch!bpistr@mcsun.eu.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1989  14:01 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New papers on IBMPC viruses

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 14:07 PST
From: <CHUCKM%UCRVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Norton Utilities for DOS 4.x

Hello:

I hope this isn't too basic a question to ask of the list, but I'd appreciate
any advice that I receive.  We have a couple of machines that use DOS 4.01;
both are IBM PS/2 model 70's.  In my lab here at UCR, we also have various
AT and XT computers, but the model 70 seems to have really caught on!  As a
result, I have students who (I think ;-)) hide files and directories, and
generally cause me great consternation in trying to keep the machine "legal".

I further note that my copy of Norton Utilities doesn't seem to work on
DOS 4.x (it can't find the files, etc.).  I've heard of Norton Commander,
(haven't used it, though), and I understand that it works for DOS 4.x.
What I'd really like is the "command" capability for undeleting, unhiding,
etc. (I guess I'm too old-fashioned for these "user-friendly" menus :-)), like
with Norton Utils.  So, is there a Norton Utilities for DOS 4.x?  I guess
I could Read The Friendly Catalog, but they never seem to make it to my
office!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

++++ Chuck McDaniels, Systems Consultant,      Phone:  (714) 787-4711    ++++
++++ Univ. of California, Riverside            BITNET:  ChuckM@UCRVMS    ++++
++++ Thank you for not blaming UCR or anyone else for anything said here ++++

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1989  13:09 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: The SIMTEL20 MSDOS archive has been split

The MSDOS archive at SIMTEL20 had grown to the point where it became
necessary to split it into two parts: PD1:<MSDOS> and PD2:<MSDOS2>.
The following subdirectories have been moved to the MSDOS2 directory:

    BIBLE    MODEM    PROCOMM  QMODEM  TELIX   XPC     ZMODEM

The other subdirectories remain in MSDOS, but some may be moved at a
later date.

The following changes have been made in the SIMTEL20 MSDOS index,
which has just been updated to reflect the above changes.

   1. All files are listed in SIMIBM.IDX.  Those which have no
descriptions have "No description available" in that field.

   2. NODESCR.IDX has been discontinued.

   3. SIMIBM.IDX is sorted alphabetically by device name, directory name,
and filename.  This means that files residing in PD2:<MSDOS2.subdirname>
will appear last in the index.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files, with a brief one line
description for each file.  This file is updated at approximate 1-2
week intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this file),
     SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS, SIMCVT3.EXC, SIMIBM.DB3,
     SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.INF, SIMDISP.AWK, SIMDISP.DOC, and SIMDISP.FOR.
     SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more
     frequently, time permitting).

Also available:

QUICKREF.LST a quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.

SIMCVT.BAS a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMCVT3.EXC a VM/CMS REXX program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.FOR a VAX/VMS FORTRAN program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.SPS a VAX/VMS SPS program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMDISP.AWK an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.DB3 tells how to use SIMIBM.IDX with dBASEIII.

SIMIBM.HDR a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.INF information on record structure of SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMRAZ12.ARC a program to merge, shorten, rearrange SIMTEL indices.

SIMTEL31.ARC a program which will import any SIMTEL20 comma-delimited
     catalog file and convert it to a .DBF and allow viewing, searching,
     printing reports, etc.  The user does not need dBASE and all the
     necessary files will be created as they are needed by the program.

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX and PD2:<MSDOS2>FILES.IDX are updated on a daily
     basis (sometimes several times a day when a lot of new files are
     uploaded).  These are comma-delimited files, without descriptions,
     suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

                         DISCLAIMER

Due to the large number of files available, the archive maintainers
cannot possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of the
various programs.  When a program bug is reported, immediate action is
taken to either correct the error or remove the offending program from
the archives.  Still, users must understand that all archive programs
are offered AS IS, and the archive maintainers specifically disclaim
any liability should these programs malfunction or cause damage,
incidental or otherwise.  When testing ANY new software, be certain
that all information stored on disk is backed-up before you start, so
that you can recover if files are damaged or erased.  This is
particularly true if you have a hard disk, in which case malfunctions
can be spectacularly disasterous.

         WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems
should be directed to ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 18:49:21 PST
From: dwessels%cs2.cs.WSU.EDU%cs2.cs.WSU.EDU@cs2.cs.wsu.edu (Duane Wessels)
Subject: Request for help debugging programs

Hello.

I have written two (more) utilities for manipulating the SIMTEL20 archive
listings.  One is a C version of the ever-popular SIMCVT routine which
transforms .IDX files into readable listings.  The other is a program
that uses regular expressions to search through a listing file giving
the output as an ftp script.  This one is in C also.

Currently, both programs compile under Turbo C 2.0 and on a HP-9000
running HP-UX.  But before 'releasing' these, I would like to make sure
they can compile on other systems as well.  If you would like to help
me in this, I would really appreciate it.  I will send out source code
to anyone requesting it in return for a little feedback.  Any takers?
Send requests to:

    dwessels@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

Thanks in advance!

Duane Wessels    dwessels@cs2.cs.wsu.edu
                 22149853@WSUVM1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1989  10:13 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: VAR2FIX for VAX/VMS converts variable to fixed record length

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 89 17:01:44 SET
From: BAKT55%AWIIMC11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Wordstar5.0 and Kyocera F-1200

We have problems using Wordstar with the Kyocera F-1200 laserprinter
(WS installed with HPLJ+ or KYOCERA 1000, proportional font |).
We cannot use the full IBM-character set (Country-code "GERMAN", umlauted
characters are not printed).

We heard, that we have to use extra escape-sequences to switch to
IBM-character-set.

Wordstar doesn't know?? Did we miss something?
Any hints?
Thank you,

Emil KOCI
Univ. Klinik f. Chemotherapie
Vienna, Austria

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 09:16:46 -0800
From: maca@pbhyg.PacBell.COM (Michael Carrico)

I had a similar problem using Word with an Apple laser writer.

To solve it, I send the "POSTSCRIP.INI" file (supplied with the Word 5.0
program), to the Laser Writer prior to sending my document.

Hope this helps.

Mike Carrico

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------