Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/17/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 17 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 119

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                          Changing Commands
                      Cyrillic code page for DOS
              Joystick emulator for Microsoft-type mouse
                       Kermit key definitions ?
                Looking for a good portfoilo program.
                              RTF format
                       super operating system?
                       TeX archives on Internet
                  The PC Magazine Directory (2 msgs)
         TSFORT12.ARC - Call MS Fortran from Turbo Pascal 5.5
                         UUNET Documentation
         Warning! CC.EXE from xxcp.arc can crash your system

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain), TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and
TREARN (Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 89 12:56:16 GMT
From: sjuphil!gb032119@princeton.edu (Glenn M. Brunette)
Subject: Changing Commands

         I would like to know if there is a program such as Dos Boss (by
Beagle Bros. for the Apple) for the IBM.  I want a program that will allow
me to change such commands as "copy, delete, etc..." as Dos Boss can do
for the Apple.  Though IBM and Apple are different in many respects, I was
wondering if such a program exists.  Please reply through Email.  Thanks
in advance.

Glenn Brunette
gb032119%sjuphil.sju.edu@bpa.bell-atl.com

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 22 June 1989  09:35-MDT
From: <DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Cyrillic code page for DOS

Some time ago I uploaded CYRILLIC.ARC, my hack for adding Russian letters
to MS-DOS, to SIMTEL20. I received several letters asking me to add
printer fonts to it.  I have uploaded an updated version.

The changes are:
1) I've included downloadable fonts for epson fx
2) I've included Russian hyphenation patterns
3) I've updated the document accordingly

The new file is in PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>CYRILIC2.ARC

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
CUNY GC

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 89 15:23:22 IST
From:         Moshe Israeli <MAINT%BGUVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      Bypassing Kermit's error checking

If one is using an MNP 4 or MNP 5 modem, that does error correction, how
does one avoid Kermit's error checking in order to save time?

Moshe Israeli

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 89 23:17:55 EST
From: "Doug Sewell" <DOUG%YSUB.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Joystick emulator for Microsoft-type mouse

Can anyone point me to a joystick emulator for a microsoft-type mouse?

I've seen the opposite: a mouse emulator for a joystick, but I haven't
seen a program like this yet.

Doug Sewell (DOUG@YSUB.BITNET), Tech Support, Computer Center,
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 10:35:30 EST
From: Joe_Mullaney@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Looking for a good portfoilo program.

  Hi, I'm looking for a program that will help me keep track of a small
number of portfolios.  What this should be able to do is:  With one
command print up a report on a person.  List their stocks and bonds,
information about these, and figure how much they are currantly worth.
This does not have to be hooked directly up to the Stock Market, the stock
prices would only need to be updated a couple of times a month.  I have
looked a product called The Professional Portfolio by Advent, It does what
I need and about a hundred other things I don't.  It is also about $2000
more than I want to speand.

Any ideas?
Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 89 16:07:26 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Jeff Sicherman)
Subject: RTF format

  Can any one direct me to a definition of Rich Text Format (RTF), the
interchange format for microsoft word processing documents. I have tried a
number of their support lines/departments with no success. I have noticed
some reference in the second volume of the 'file Formats' series of books
but it doesnt appear comprehensive or up to date (with word version 5.0).

Jeff Sicherman
jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 10:12:36 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: super operating system?

I seem to remember hearing somewhere about a company (I thought called
'MCS') that was producing a 'super' operating system for the 386
architecture that would run MS-Dos, OS/2, and Unix simultaneously.  Since
this makes ultimate sense, I have been trying to track them down, but have
had no luck.  Does anyone know anything about such an operating system in
existence or development?  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 89 08:53:06 SET
From: "Simon H.G. Rowell" <ESC1515%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: The PC Magazine Directory

Being a subscriber to PC Magazine but without a modem, I was delighted to
discover that the Info-IBMPC program library included an archive of past
and present PC Magazine executables and listings.

Having delved into the library somewhat, I have come up with a couple of
pressing problems:

a) In Volume 8 Number 21 a utility for automatically compressing files
that have not been used for a few days was described. This utility also
expands files that have been compressed automatically when they are
accessed by means of a memory resident program. Since, like most people,
my hard disk seems to fill up all the time, I thought this is exactly what
I needed.

   I downloaded VOL8N21 from <msdos.pcmag> and went through the correct
installation process (making DCOMPRES memory resident first, setting the
date on my PC to the dim-distant past, running PCMANAGE with the "/i"
switch, resetting the date and then rerunning PCMANAGE with no no switch.
It didn't work - the symptoms I noticed were...

   1) No INDEX.CMP files were created.
   2) If the DCOMPRES.EXL was used no files were accessed.
   3) The hooked vectors utilised by DCOMPRES depended upon when I loaded
      the utility.

   where am I going wrong?

b) The second aspect of my enquiry is that there exists an index to all
reviews in the PC Magazine. This is called PCM.EXE (a self-extracting
file). The index is complemented by a database search program called
PCSRCH.EXE (another self-extracting archive).

Those are my problems. I realise that you may not be able to help me find
a solution to the first problem but are any of the following possible?

i)   Is it possible to gain access to PC MagNet over the Bitnet/Arpanet
network? If so do you know the address?

ii)  Could the PC Magazine index be extracted from PC MagNet and placed in
the PCMAG directory of the discussion list?

I apologise for taking up your time, but hope that you will be able to
help me.

Thankyou in advance
                                        Bitnet Addr: ESC1515@ESOC.BITNET
Simon Rowell                            Phone:       +39 6151 886817
                                        Address:     c/o ESOC
                                                     Robert-Bosch Str, 5
                                                     6100 Darmstadt
                                                     West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1989  09:11 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Simon, Greg Hicks forwarded your message to me.  The author of the
compression program is Ross Greenberg <utoday!greenber@uunet.uu.net>.  I
have forwarded your message to him.

I have never seen the complete index and the program to access it.  It was
my understanding that each issue's archive contained the index for that
issue.

We do have indexes for some PC Magazine issues.

Directory: PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>

V7A_DB.ARC        53K  09-30-88  PC-Mag 1988 articles index in dBASE-III
V7P_DB.ARC        97K  09-30-88  PC-Mag 1988 product reviews in dBASE-III

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1989  14:07 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TSFORT12.ARC - Call MS Fortran from Turbo Pascal 5.5

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 89 13:15:50 EST
From: Elliott Parker <3ZLUFUR%CMUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: UUNET Documentation

     Bruce Nevin (bnevin@cch.bbn.com) asks about documentation for UUNET.
The best intro. I have found is UNIX Communications by Bart Anderson,
Bryan Costales and Harry Henderson (Howard W. Sams, 1988; ISBN
0-672-22511-5).  It has a few pp. of UNIX background and then is split
into three sections:  UNIX Mail, USENET, and UUCP.

          As one who had to learn UNIX communications from the book with
no local handholding, I heartily recommend it.

Elliott Parker                   BITNET: 3ZLUFUR@CMUVM
Journalism Dept.                 Internet: eparker@well.sf.ca.us
Central Michigan University      Compuserve: 70701,520
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859           BIX: eparker
USA                              UUCP: {psuvax1}!cmuvm.bitnet!3zlufur

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 3:30:58 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Warning! CC.EXE from xxcp.arc can crash your system

Please be advised not to try to run the CC.EXE nor the MAKE.EXE program
that came with XXCP.ARC in a recent distribution.  The are actually text
files originally named 'CC EXEC' and 'MAKE EXEC' targeted for use with the
Waterloo C compiler on VM/CMS systems.  I have renamed them to be
CCEXEC.CMS and MAKEEXEC.CMS for future release.  My experience is that if
you attempt to run CC.EXE your system may crash.  Please do not try it.  I
will upload an improved and much smaller xxcp.arc soon.  -David-

Date: Thu,  7 Dec 89 10:26 MET
From: <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

Hello Networkers,
Is there anybody out there who can recommend a book about plotters or any
other information source. I am working on a drawing program which among
other things will send output to a plotter. I want to make it as universal
as possible, covering a wide range of plotters. I have not much
information about any other plotter than my own. Incidentally, I am
writing this program in Turbo-C but I post this question on many bulletin
boards.  Thanks, Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Holland

------------------------------

Date: 4 December 89, 09:53:09 EDT
From: Antonio@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu, Quezada-Duarte@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu,
Subject: Disabling CTRL-ALT-DEL

   Marcelo H. Ang Jr in his letter dated Nov 11th 1989 asks for a program
to disable CTRl+ALT+DEL, well.., here it is, i've used it on my TANDY
1000A with no problems and in PS/2's 25 and 50 and had no problems at all
either.

  To use it just type, from the dos prompt:

  MASM NOCAD; (of course you need MASM)
  LINK NOCAD; (and of course you need a linker)
  NOCAD

    If you type NOCAD once it has been loaded, it will tell you so.  I've
used it with DOS 3.30, but it works just as well under DOS 2.00 and above.

    If you have any comment of any kind please let me know.  And have a
nice new decade everybody.

[Program has been forwarded to WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL and will be found in
<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>CTRLADEL.ASM]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 1989
From: GOMBERG%UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Disk cache and LIMSIM on clones.

I have a no-name 386 clone with interleaved memory running at 20Mhz.  I am
a LIMSIM user, and need EMS for other software I run.  Recently, I have
been getting PARITY ERROR ?? SYSTEM HALTED when the machine is cold and
there is intensive disk activity.  It does not occur when I remove
Lightning (my current cache, with DOS 3.3).  I tried another cache
package, PC-CACHE, and it does not appear to work with LIMSIM at all.  So
my questions are (1) anyone else had the PARITY ERROR problem during disk
IO like I do?  (2) anyone have any favorable experience with LIMSIM and a
disk cache?   Which cache product?

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------