Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/25/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 25 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 120

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                   Desqview vs EMS and the easy way out
                           Epson Drivers for TeX
                               LaTeX for PC
                     LaTeX in archives; DVIEPS driver
                   Taiwanese EPROM programmer bug fixed

Today's Queries:
               External 5.25 for Model 25; Undelete programs
                           PC==>Mac Screen Dump
                                 PD Makes
                             PS/2--MCA Problem
                                 TAR files
                                 TIF files

New Uploads:
                   Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                       New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 10:52:28 CST
From: "Bill Ball" <C476721@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Desqview vs EMS and the easy way out

Thanks for the replies on my problem which briefly was that I could not
get Desqview 286 to run properly on my EMS 4.0 equipped system.

Desqview requires expanded memory to reach down into the lower 640k area
in order to load some of itself into expanded and in order to take full
advantage of it switching capabilities. My system could not do this so I
had a max of 400k to work with...which was unacceptible. Several replies
suggested I invest $X00 in a 386SX and a mutlitasking OS.

But there turned out to be a far simpler and cheaper way to get the
capability I wanted: I sold my copy of Desqview and used the proceeds to
buy Software Carousel. Carousel may not have all bells and whistles of
Desqview but it does the same basic job (task switching), it uses up 14k
of lower memory, and it runs fine in plain old extended. I strongly
recommend Carousel to anyone with 1 Meg or more available RAM and less
than a 386.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 18:27:12 +0200
From: Kortekangas Atte <ajk@tik.vtt.fi>
Subject: Epson Drivers for TeX

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #111 David Zielke (zielke@phy.duke.edu) referred
to TeX/dvieps printing problem with an Epson LX-800. I got to know that
the following hint fixed the problem so I post my suggestion:

Regarding your question on Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #111 ... I don't know if
this is of much help...

I formerly had great trouble running a driver from PCTEX called dvieps
with Epson LX-80. The driver was intended for Epson FX. The printers seem
to be imcompatible in the way that FX tolerates 0-length graphics commands
that driver generates in draft mode, but LX hangs on them (quality mode
worked fine though). I had to use the following patch program (in MSC) to
filter 0-length graphics out (you have to redirect the output from dvieps
to a file, at first):

[C source included in this message has been uploaded to SIMTEL20.  Location
to follow.  gph]

Good luck.

Atte Kortekangas          :  Tel/puh. (+358-0)4356-6039
VTT/TIK                   :  telefax (+358-0)489519
Lehtisaarentie 2 A        :  telex 122972 vttha sf
SF-00340 HELSINKI         :  Internet: kortekangas@tik.vtt.fi
FINLAND                   :  EARN: kortekan@FINVTT
                          :  elisa: funet:kortekangas@tik.vtt.fi
                                    Kortekangas_Atte_VTT

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 13:21 EST
From: "KIM A. TAN" <KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA>
Subject: LaTeX for PC

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #111 Don Meredith <DMEREDI3@UA1VM.ua.edu> asked.

>        Is there any one out there that knows where I can
>get my hands on a (preferrably) PD version of LaTeX for the
>PC???  Drivers for various printers should also be included.

Yes, there are two PD version of LaTeX on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (FTP
26.2.0.74), under the subdirectory of PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>. Namely DOSTEX and
SB26TEX.  However, Drivers for various printers are not stored on SIMTEL20
site. They are FTPable from SCIENCES.UTAH.EDU.

I hope this helped you. All the best.

BitNet  : Katan@Cgrvax.UWaterloo.Ca       | Kim Tan
        : Kim@Zswamp.FidoNet.Org          | Waterloo Ctr for Groundwater Res.
InterNet: Katan@Cgrvax.Waterloo.Edu       | University of Waterloo
        : Kim%Zswamp@Watmath.Waterloo.Edu | Waterloo, Ontario
Uucp    : ..!watmath!watmta!cgrvax!katan  | Canada  N2L 3G1
        : ..!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!kim   | FidoNet: Kim on 1:221/172.1004

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 20:42:00 EST
From: <1150056%LAVALVX1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: LaTeX in archives; DVIEPS driver.

1)On November 26th, Don Meredith wrote

>        Is there any one out there that knows where I can get my hands on
>a (preferrably) PD version of LaTeX for the PC???  Drivers for various
>printers should also be included.

        There are two versions of TeX for the PC on SIMTEL archives in
directory PD:<MSDOS.TEX>. They are SBTeX and DOSTeX.  They are contained
respectively in the file SB26TEX.ARC and in the files DOSTEX?.ARC, where ?
runs from 1 to 6.  I got SBTeX and it includes the LaTeX source files (as
well as Plain TeX's) and INITEX, so you can build the LaTeX format with
it.  I suppose that DOSTEX does too, but it is claimed that SBTeX is
smaller ans faster. DOSTEX includes an EPSON driver with the necessary
fonts; SBTeX does not.  You should get Nelson Beebe's DVI drivers family,
available from SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU (don't quite know how).

2)On November 27th, David M. Zielke wrote

>However, if I attempt to print on my epson LX-800 printer using the
>dvieps driver provided in the package I run into trouble if the printed
>file is more than about half a page of full text.  The program produces
>an output file without a problem but when it is copied to the printer it
>will work fine for about a third of a page and then start printing
>garbage.  Often stray dots which appear to be an image somewhat
>offset (like by an inch horizontally and half an inch vertically).  Then
>it just hangs up the printer.

        Isn't the LX-800 a 24-pin printer?  If this is the case, DVIEPS
should not work with it (it is intended to work with Epson 9-pin
printers).  If this is not the problem, may be you have tried to print
your file using PRINT. This didn't work for me (since PRINT is intended
for text) and produced similar output problems as yours. Try "COPY
FILE.EPS PRN/B", where FILE.EPS is the file to print.  If you really need
to print in background, you can create a binary version of PRINT with
DEBUG by deleting all character interpretation code with NOPs, but I do
not know if this is legal.

        I had several other problems with DVIEPS. It truncates the
rigthmost 2 inches and the bottom 2.5 inches of every page I print. This
is done by the program, not by the printer, as can be verified with the
-d32 option on the command line. It also needs a lot of memory; it cannot
handle lots of fonts on the same page. For example, it could not produce
an .EPS file worth printing with a LaTeX file containing a \chapter and
\section command together with a (rather complex) displayed equation on
the same page. I would call these problems BUGS, since other DVI drivers
for Epson printers exist and work well (I have heard).  May be your
version is different from mine and I sure would like to get yours if it
finally works.

        My DVIEPS is indeed an experimental version and I have heard that
Nelson Beebe did not yet include it in his DVI drivers family.  A new
version of his family is soon to be distibuted, hopefully with working
versions for 9-pin and 24-pin Epson printers.

        I would be grateful to read about any tentative solution to my
problems, if somebody can help.

        Michel B\'eland  (French speaking, yeah!)
        D\'epartement de physique
        Universit\'e du Qu\'ebec \`a Montr\'eal
        1150056@LAVALVX1  (Bitnet address).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 01:20:19 EST
From: karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn)
Subject: Taiwanese EPROM programmer bug fixed

A couple of years ago I bought a no-name Taiwanese made EPROM programmer,
a "Sunshine" model EW-904B. It consists of a short card that plugs into
the PC/XT bus and an external box that contains four ZIF sockets for the
EPROMS being read or programmed. The external box attaches to the
interface board with a ribbon cable.

Recently I noticed persistent errors while reading certain 27256 EPROMs
with this unit plugged into my new 25 MHz 386 system. I would read a
programmed EPROM into the memory buffer and immediately do a compare or
verify ROM/memory operation.  More often than not, the compare or verify
would fail at address 4000.  Usually, but not always, the value read from
the ROM during the compare or verify would be the correct value, while the
one read earlier during the read operation was incorrect. Sometimes both
values were incorrect. After a bit of investigation I found that the
incorrect values were usually those of ROM location 6000.  (I was reading
an old EGA card's BIOS ROM, so I knew what the correct contents were.)
Sometimes, but not always, I could improve the read reliability by
dropping the host CPU speed to 20 MHz.

I immediately suspected some sort of problem with the EPROM address lines,
so I started checking them. I discovered that four .01uF bypass capacitors
had been installed inside the socket box between ground and pin 26 of each
ZIF socket.  On smaller EPROMs this pin is either unused or paralleled
with the main power pin 28, but on the 27128 and 27256 this is address
line A13.  Apparently the slew rate of this line with .04uF of capacitance
on it was just too slow to keep up with the programming software running
on the faster CPU. I theorize that the compare/verify software loop was a
little longer than the read loop, so it gave the address line a little
more time to settle.

I removed the four caps and the unit immediately started working just
fine.

I also noticed a space for a bypass capacitor to ground from each of the
EPROM data lines. Only one of the eight positions was filled, with a .001
uF capacitor. This seemed an odd thing to do, so I removed it also.

I don't know how widespread this design is, but I thought I'd mention how
I found and fixed this problem in case anybody else runs into it.

Phil

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 00:35 CST
From: "Nathan 'Zahmenhof' Treadway" <NTREAD%ECNCDC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: External 5.25 for Model 25; Undelete programs

I'm interested in third-party (inexpensive) external 5.25" drives for
IBM's Model 25.  Has anyone had any luck with these?  Is there any way to
keep both 3.5" drives as well?  Specific brand names would be helpful, as
well as information about any "adaper cards," etc. needed.

I'm also interested in undelete programs and related utilities.  I know of
the Norton Utilities -- what are its competitors and which have people
found most useful?  Also, information about public domain programs would
be welcome.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 18:49:03 EST
From: Matthew Quagliana <QUAG@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: PC==>Mac Screen Dump

I am about to begin writing documentation for a new piece of DOS software.
However, I will do all the actually writing and layout on a MacII. What is
the easiest way to take a screen dump off the PC and move it to a Mac?

I work in an office that has both Macs and PCs on a Novell network, so it
seems to me that if I can generate an ASCII text file from a DOS screen I
can easily port it to the Mac and (using a Mac version of the IBM screen
font) edit the screen dump in MacPaint/Draw.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Is there another, easier way?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Quagliana
Brown University

BITNET:      quag@brownvm
INTERNET:    quag@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 23:58:29 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: PD Makes

I am looking for an alternative to Microsoft Make for the MS-Dos
environment.  I know there are a lot of Public Domain Makes out there, so
I would appreciate any reviews of these programs.  I am interested in your
personal views, and references to any previous discussions you may know
of.  I am particularly interested in versions that are compatible with the
Unix make utility.  Please reply directly to me, and I will summarize.
Thank you,  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 15:31:49 PST
From: shahryar@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Shahryar G. Hashemi)
Subject: PS/2--MCA Problem

Hi...

I have a problem...I am using COPYIIPC version 5.0 and am trying to copy a
720 K 3.5"".  It seems the PS/2 50Z I have with the MCA architecture
doesn't read it.

Is there any utility that you know that can copy on a PS/2??  With MCA??

Shahryar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Dec 89 13:19:36 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: TAR files

I'm trying to download a TAR file to my PC.  First of all, are tar files
ascii or binary (i.e. do I ftp via ASCII or BINARY?)  Secondly, does
anyone have a PC de-tar-er (?), or preferable a mainframe (VM/CMS)
version.  TIA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 15:16 GMT
From: William Martin Keating <KEATING%NMRC%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TIF files

Hi,
Perhaps someone can help me in a project which concerns a computer
presentation.

   I need to display a scanned image in conjunction with a conventional
computer display :

(1) I've got .TIF files of the image
(2) I want wholly integrated system in TP 4.0

What I need to know is this:
 . what is the format of this TIF file ?
 . are there similar standard formats ?
 . is it possible to have a 'simple' TP routine to display such an image as
   part of an overall presentation ?
 . does anyone know of easily available software which allows one to manipulate
   this scanned image (besides VENTURA and AMI) ?

All comments gratefully received.  Thanks in advance: Liam Keating

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1989  08:56 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has been updated.
The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version of the
same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files, with a brief one line
description for each file.  This file is updated at approximate 1-2 week
intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this file),
     SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS, SIMCVT3.EXC, SIMIBM.DB3,
     SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.INF, SIMDISP.AWK, SIMDISP.DOC, and SIMDISP.FOR.
     SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more
     frequently, time permitting).

Also available:

QUICKREF.LST a quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.

SIMCVT.BAS a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMCVT3.EXC a VM/CMS REXX program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.FOR a VAX/VMS FORTRAN program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMCVT.SPS a VAX/VMS SPS program to print SIMIBM.IDX

SIMDISP.AWK an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMIBM.DB3 tells how to use SIMIBM.IDX with dBASEIII.

SIMIBM.HDR a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.INF information on record structure of SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMRAZ12.ARC a program to merge, shorten, rearrange SIMTEL indices.

SIMTEL31.ARC a program which will import any SIMTEL20 comma-delimited
     catalog file and convert it to a .DBF and allow viewing, searching,
     printing reports, etc.  The user does not need dBASE and all the
     necessary files will be created as they are needed by the program.

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX and PD2:<MSDOS2>FILES.IDX are updated on a daily
     basis (sometimes several times a day when a lot of new files are
     uploaded).  These are comma-delimited files, without descriptions,
     suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

                         DISCLAIMER

Due to the large number of files available, the archive maintainers cannot
possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of the various programs.
When a program bug is reported, immediate action is taken to either
correct the error or remove the offending program from the archives.
Still, users must understand that all archive programs are offered AS IS,
and the archive maintainers specifically disclaim any liability should
these programs malfunction or cause damage, incidental or otherwise.  When
testing ANY new software, be certain that all information stored on disk
is backed-up before you start, so that you can recover if files are
damaged or erased.  This is particularly true if you have a hard disk, in
which case malfunctions can be spectacularly disasterous.

         WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems should
be directed to Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1989  01:21 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS Uploads to SIMTEL20

From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.asmutl>
ASMED-1.ARC     Editor making integrated env for TASM/MASM

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
QVT374.ARC      VT220 emulator with file xfer

pd1:<msdos.progjourn>
PJ76.ARC        Code from Nov/Dec 89 Programmer's Journal

pd1:<msdos.graphics>
TIFF-50.ARC     Tagged Image File Format specs v5.0

ASMED-1, QVT374, and TIFF-50 are updated versions of files already in
the archive.

        Ralf

From: Richard J. Reiner <RREINER%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.c>
GNUCTAGS.ARC -- Microsoft C 5.1 port of GNU [ce]tags.

pd1:<msdos.awk>
PHF.ARC      -- AWK code for handling a phone/address database.

pd1:<msdos.deskaccess>
REMINDER.ARC -- program set for maintaining a reminders file,
                derived from Ken Van Camp's program of the same
                name.

Richard J. Reiner                Domain: rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet   Internet: grad3077@writer.yorku.ca

From: ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris)

I have uploaded these files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.hypertext>
TP55TOUR.ARC    Hypertext-based tutorial on using OOP in TP5.5
CPPTOUR.ARC     Hypertext-based tutorial on using C++

Thanks, Richard!  These archives include the Hypertext reader program.

From: kirsch@arsocomvax.socom.mil

I have uploaded this file to SIMTEL20:

pd3:<misc.unix>
UNZIP21U.TAR-Z  Unix (BSD 4.2/4.3) source for unzip util (PKZIP 1.0x)

Highest compiments to the original authors.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------