Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/25/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 25 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 121

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Epson Drivers for TeX
                       Information on Dos Interrupts
                        Lint for Microsoft C on DOS
                      LPT1/LPT2 configuration problem
                  PostScript printing via a VAX and LPS40
                   Problems with HDI (Unbiased Reclama)
                       Leading Edge Mod M BIOS info

Today's Queries:
                                 compress
                    Help with Interactive 386/IX TCP/IP
                       Scanner input to Text output
                      Program info on 'AXE' requested
                        Multi-Level Virtual Windows
                         Recording system startups
                                 ZEOS 386
                Looking for "Surfer" (3-D Plotting Package)

New Programs:
      SYSGN132.ARC - Configuration utility (autoexec.bat/config.sys)
                Telix Communications program, version 3.12
             VGAIMG12.ARC - TIFF/GIF viewer/maker for EGA/VGA

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: 10 Dec 89 13:04:47-0100
From: Michal Jankowski <sieminski@rzsin.sin.ch>
Subject: Epson Drivers for TeX

David Zielke <zielke@phy.duke.edu> writes

>                        However, if I attempt to print on my epson LX-800
> printer using the dvieps driver provided in the package I run into trouble
> if the printed file is more than about half a page of full text.  The
> program produces an output file without a problem but when it is copied to
> the printer it will work fine for about a third of a page and then start
> printing garbage.  Often stray dots which appear to be an image somewhat
> offset (like by an inch horizontally and half an inch vertically).

Well, it looks like the old ASCII vs. Binary problem again.  Try to copy
it to the printer using

   copy /b foo.bar prn ('/b' for 'binary).

Do not use 'print' command, it works with text files only.  (BTW. Do you
have to produce an output file? All dvi-to-printer programs I have seen
can print to the printer directly.)

Michal Jankowski

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 16:35:29 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Information on Dos Interrupts

A question related to functions 1d to 39h of interrupt 10.  The query
referred to INTER589.ARC.  This is probably the file maintained by Ralf
Brown.  It is the most complete documentation I have seen on interrupts
and includes some of the more arcane use of INT 16 and the multiplex INT.

I suggest the user direct the question to Brown.  He lists himself as
follows:

If you know of any information not in the list, or which is stated
incorrectly, please let me know!  This list would be a pale shadow of its
current self if it weren't for everybody's input.

Software developers are encouraged to check the list before assigning
interrupts, and to provide me with a list of interrupt calls used (to help
prevent future interrupt conflicts).

         Ralf Brown

Address e-mail to:
        ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu                   \
        UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   > preferred
        BIT:  ralf%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvb           /
        FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46  (new address!)
                or post a message to the DR_DEBUG echo

Brown issues updates quarterly and promised one by October.  The file is
directly avaiable as follows:

On the ARPAnet, by standard anonymous FTP from CS.CMU.EDU [128.2.222.173].
Change to directory /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/ralf/pub and get the file
interrup.zip which is a link to the current version.  You MUST change
directory first because of the way CMU's anonymous FTP works.  ZIP
unarchivers for MSDOS and BSD Unix are available in the "zip"
subdirectory.

On FIDOnet, from The Gas Passer BBS 1:129/46 1-412-648-6326 1200/2400/9600
HST as file INTERnyy.ZIP, where nyy stands for release 'n' of year 'yy',
in file area #18 (User Uploads) or #9 (Miscellaneous Goodies).  ZIP
executables are in file area #19.  First-time callers may download.

The list is also posted to USEnet in comp.binaries.ibm.pc about three
times per year, concurrent with a new release of the list.  Since
comp.binaries.ibm.pc is archived, you will be able to find a fairly recent
release in the various UUCP archives.

Secondary Distribution Points (the list will be available here within a
day or so of release):

ARPA:   on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74] as file INTERnyy.ARC in
directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>, where nyy stands for release n of year yy.
Note that you must use mode "tenex" or "type L 8" to successfully FTP the
file.

FIDO:   SyncPoint BBS 1-301-682-2731 File Requests.  First-time callers
may download.

Additional Distribution Points:
BITnet: you may retrieve the copy on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL via the following
        automated mail servers:
        (in the US) LISTSERV@RPIECS (alias VM.ECS.RPI.EDU)
                    LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 (alias VM1.NODAK.EDU)
        (in Europe) TRICKLE at TREARN (Turkey)
                    TRICKLE at IMIPOLI (Italy)
                    TRICKLE at DB0FUB11 (Germany)
                    TRICKLE at DKTC11 (Denmark)
                    TRICKLE at AWIWUW11 (Austria)
                    LISTSERV at FINTUVM (Finland)
CompuServe: on the IBM Forum as INTnyy.*

        Any volunteers with FTP to upload new releases to BBSs on the West
Coast or outside the US on a regular basis? (preferably boards which allow
first-time callers to download and support file requests)  I would send
you mail as soon as the new list is available for FTP on CS.CMU.EDU.

(P.S., if functions 1d-39h are used and are known to someone, they might
kindly forward the information to Brown, too)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 16:38:05 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Lint for Microsoft C on DOS

A superb Lint for DOS, for any of the popular C compilers is PC-Lint:

    Gimpel Software
    3207 Hogarth Lane
    Collegeville, PA  19426
    (215) 584-4261

I use it regularly and it catches many curious anomolies quickly and
accurately.  It sells for around $150, and no I haven't seen any shareware
alternative.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 16:30:06 PST
From: forags%nature.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu
Subject: LPT1/LPT2 configuration problem

The IBM PCT/AT serial/parallel adapter has two jumper plugs:

The upper one (J1) controls the com-port as COM1 or COM2 as follows

 : :                   ===
 ===   is COM1,   and  : :   is COM2.

The lower plug (J2) configures the parallel port as LPT1 or LPT2 as follows:

 ===                    : :
 : :   is LPT1,   and   ===  is LPT2.

Al Stangenberger                    Dept. of Forestry & Resource Mgt.
forags@violet.berkeley.edu          145 Mulford Hall - Univ. of Calif.
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags      Berkeley, CA  94720
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBVIOLE          (415) 642-4424

------------------------------

Date: TUE DEC 12, 1989 13.33.25 EST
From: "Ronald J. Hartranft" <RJH2%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu>
Subject: PostScript printing via a VAX and LPS40

           At Lehigh, I've uploaded PostScript files to the VAX for
printing on an LPS40 several times with no problems.  One inconvenience
with output from Quattro required breaking the PostScript files into lines
of 80 characters or less so that the file transfer program wouldn't choke.

          The VAX is running VMS, and the print command is configured to
be of the form,

         PRINT filename.PS /QUEUE=POST

     Good luck.

       Ronald J. Hartranft
       Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
       Lehigh University
       Packard Lab #19
       Bethlehem, Penn. 18015

       (215)758-4109

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 09:46:38 EST
From: Dj Merrill - work <DEEJ%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with HDI (Unbiased Reclama)

In volume #89, issue 101 of the Digest there were two articles concerning
problems with ordering from Hard Drives International (HDI).

>From: wcg_c068%JHUNIX.BITNET%cunyvm.cuny.edu@uunet.UU.NET
>
>    I had numerous problems with HARD DRIVES INTERNATIONAL. Their shipping
>is chaotic, never received what I ordered, what I did receive never worked
>and the technical support was lousy.  Every time I called customer service
>I was put on hold for about 30 minutes.  When I called tech support, I was
>put on hold for long periods. That was not a toll free call. Wasted about
>$40 on phone calls, shipping and handling.
>
>TO EVERYBODY WHO IS BUYING A HARD DRIVE DO NOT FALL FOR THE BARGAIN OF HDI
>IT IS NOT WORTH IT. THEY SELL YOU THE WORST DRIVES AND YOU GET THE WORST
>SERVICE IN THE BUSINESS.

   My friend and I both ordered the 40Meg kits that HDI is selling now
(XT).  The kits include a 8450 MiniScribe drive and a Western Digital RLL
controller.  We ordered the kits together on a Monday. We received both
the kits 9 days later on the following Wednesday, which seems reasonable
considering all the shipping that is going on for Christmas. Both kits
work well. However, I did have a few problems along the way.

   It appears that the ONTRACK software that is shipped with the drives
has a few bugs in it.  It doesn't appear to do the high level format
properly, even in the 'automatic' mode.  The drive seemed to format
properly, and the program said that it had transferred my dos system (3.3)
to the hard drive, and that I could now remove the disk from drive A: and
reboot the system - it should now boot from the hard drive.  Not so. I
rebooted, and the hard drive light went on, but then it asked me to insert
a system disk in drive a:.  I did so, and booted from my floppy.  I
switched to C: and did a DIR.  No problem.  I did a CHKDSK C: with no
problems.

I thought I had done something wrong, so i reformatted both low and high
level and tried again. No luck.  I tried swapping the controller and
reformatting.  That didn't work, so I tried the other drive. It still
didn't work.

After repeated tries (I ended up reformatting the drive a total of six
times), I tried low level formatting through DOS DEBUG, and then
partitioning with FDISK, and finally FORMAT C:/s. When I tried rebooting,
the system booted fine from the hard drive.

   I conclude this to be a problem with the ONTRACK publisher, NOT HDI !
HDI supplies this software with their drives to make it easier for people
to set up their drives.  The software supports many types of drives, and
this version claimed to be customized for MiniScribe drives (It is version
4.02).  It may work well with other types of drives, but apparently not w/
the 8450.  HDI should be notified of this problem, and maybe switch to
another software package.

   The claim that "THEY SELL YOU THE WORST DRIVES...." is ridiculous.  HDI
is merely a reseller of drives. If the blame is to be placed, it should be
on the drive manufacturer, not on HDI.  Each drive HDI gets is in a SEALED
static free package FROM THE MANUFACTURER.  They do not open each drive
and test it, that is why there is a MANUFACTURER's warranty on the
product.

>From: suraj%JHUNIX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

>    I had heard a few good reviews from magazines about HDI before I
>decided to purchase from them. ...

>                         SURAJ C. SURENDARKUMAR.

   As far as the shipping and ordering goes, HDI should be held
responsible.  If they mess up an order, tell you it will be there by a
certain date and it isn't, or otherwise fail to hold up to their claims,
then they are to be blamed.

   I purchase all of my computer equiptment via mail-order.  I find HDI a
reasonable company to order from, and I would readily order from them
again.  They were courteous on the phone, and did not screw up my order.
I had both kits shipped to the same address, in the same box.  I had told
them that they were for two different people, and included in the box were
two of everything needed, including the paperwork.

   I am in no way affiliated with HDI.  I am merely a consumer viewing my
opinion.  I like the value that mail-order gives us, and I hope it
continues to be a significant portion of the market.

-Dj Merrill
DEEJ at MAINE.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 10:34:35 CST
From: Michael Biondo <C08930MB%WUVMD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Leading Edge Mod M BIOS info

To Thomas Laird and any intrested:

Upgraded replacement BIOS for the Model M can be obtained directly from
the manufacturer of the motherboards. (Mitsubitsi (sp?))

There are three different BIOS sets depending on the type of motherboard
you have.  The part number for the motherboard is located on the left rear
corner of the board and is as follows:

motherboard #                Mitsubitsi BIOS P/N
WESY1                              100263-001
WESY10                             100265-001
WESY30 or WESY31                   100272-001

Mitsubitsi phone number: 213-515-3993 Ext. 746  (parts department)

Sorry but I don't have prices - I just obtained this info myself and as yet
have not contacted them.  Good Luck ...

                     Michael Biondo
                     Washinton University Medical School
                     St. Louis, Missouri <C08930MB@WUVMD>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 06:33 CST
From: <TJT7850%TAMVENUS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: compress

        Can anyone recommend an executable compress (decompress).  I tried
to complie u16.c (or something like that) but it does not seem to be able
to decompress files that I get via ftp.  It does compress and decompress
files that I give.  If anyone can send these (or tell me where an
executable is) it would be apreciated.

                                          Thanx
                                          Tom Tschetter
                                          tjt7850@tamvenus.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 17:40:24 mez
From: cgch!bpistr@relay.EU.net
Subject: Help with Interactive 386/IX TCP/IP

        I am running version 2.0 of Interactive's TCP/IP/NFS product under
386/IX.  After rebooting the system, I get approximately half of the
packets sent on our Ethernet have the wrong IP version number (0), instead
of the proper version number (4).  I am using the 3COM 3C503 card, but
have heard that the same thing happens with the Western Digital EtherCard
Plus as well.

        Does anyone know how to get in touch with Interactive systems via
the network, or a contact there to send mail to about this?  Thanks -jcp-

 Joseph C. Pistritto               'Think of it as Evolution in Action'
   Ciba Geigy AG, R1241.1.01, Postfach CH4002 Basel, Switzerland
   Internet: bpistr@cgch.uucp                  Phone: (+41) 61 697 6155
   Bitnet:   bpistr%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet   Fax:   (+41) 61 697 2435
   From US:  cgch!bpistr@mcsun.eu.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1989 15:26 EST
From: Norman Walsh <NORM%IONAACAD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Scanner input to Text output

Hello,

I am looking for a program that can take scanned input (or drive a HP
ScanJet scanner) and produce text output (rather than a bitmap).  I know
that I've seen ads for products that claim they can perform this task, has
anybody used one?  Could there possibly be a PD one buried in the
archives?

[One commercial package I've seen advertised (But havve not tried) is
SPOT.  Distributed by a company in Arizona I believe.]

ndw

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 11:57 EDT
From: CSRAG@uoft02.utoledo.edu
Subject: Program info on 'AXE' requested

Regarding the message about 'AXE' from SEA.  I'm very interested in this
program, but have been unable to track it down anywhere.  I'm KNOW that is
NOT a shareware program, it was reviewed by Softdisk Publishing in their
issue of Big Blue Disk for the IBM compatibles market.  This review was
quite a while ago.  It seems like a very useful program, any help in
locating a supplier or vendor would be most helpful. Thanks.

Regards.

Rob
"CSRAG@UOFT02.BITNET"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 14:11 EST
From: EDGINGTC%WABASH.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: PD:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>

I recently downloaded from Simtel the Turbo Pascal 5.0 unit for virtual window
management by Eagle Performance Software.  From the documentation, this appears
to be an excellent piece of software.  The only problem I have is that I am
running Turbo Pascal 5.5 and the unit files seem to be incompatible with my
version.  Is there anyone out there who has the source code and could either
send it to me so I can recompile or send me a compiled version under TP5.5.  I
would be very much interested in becoming a registered ownder of this software
but I want to try it out first.

Also, if anyone has this software for Turbo C 2.0 I would like that also.

I have two requests:

  1.  Has anybody gotten TSPEECH to work with Turbo Pascal 5.5?

  2.  Does anybody have the 5.X versions of the Window and Pull down menu
Turbo Pascal units out of simtel?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris Edgington
Computer Science
Wabash College

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 17:36 EST
From: Nutsy Fagen <MJB8949@ritvax.bitnet>
Subject: Recording system startups

I'd like to set up a command or two in my autoexec file that will add the
current time/date to an existing file (say, boot.dat).  The system
date/time is automatically defined from a CPU based clock, and the need is
for the autoexec to take the system straight into a given application,
thus the "automatic" logging of the startup date time.

I'm not looking for elaborate security, the main reason for this is to
track the number of power failures experienced by the system.  (They tend
to be fairly frequent, since each time the building emergency generator is
tested, we lose power for several seconds.)

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Mike Bunnell
mjb8949@ritvax (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 12:01:21 EDT
From: Chris Thompson <CBTCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: ZEOS 386

Hi...We've been seeing some ads recently for the ZEOS 386SX machine.  We
have some grant money laying around which we are going to lose, if it is
not spent soon.  Here's the questions:

Does anyone know anything about this machine?  Is it reliable?  How about
compatibility?  How long has ZEOS been around?  We've seen ads going back
about a year1/2, but have they been in business longer?  Is it really a
16MHz machine?  Repair record? Will we have to send it to someplace weird
to get it fixed?

Finally, any references in magazines?  Tests?

Thanks in advance!

Chris  Thompson

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 DEC 89 12:07:22 GMT
From: F033%CPC865.EAST-ANGLIA.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Looking for "Surfer" (3-D Plotting Package)

Hi,
        I have two items I would appreciate readers help with.  First, I
have seen a package called "Surfer" published by Golden Software (I think
in San Francisco).  This is one of the most versatile 3D plotting and
contouring packages I have seen but I can't find the address of the
company.  Any information regarding address, price etc. would be
gratefully received.

        Second, I have been having trouble running large programs in MS
Fortran v. 5.0 on an AT clone.  I really need a virtual memory manager and
supporting Fortran which will run on a 80286 machine or a Fortran which
supports EMS 4.0 memory for extending available memory beyond 640k.

My other, more expensive, option would be to buy a 386 machine, buckets of
memory, and use OS2 or something like the Phar Lap 386 virtual memory
manager.  Any ideas on a cheaper alternative?

                Cheers,

                        Tom Holt

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1989  14:16 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SYSGN132.ARC - Configuration utility(autoexec.bat/config.sys)

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1989  00:56 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Telix Communications program, version 3.12

I have uploaded the latest version of Telix, the ShareWare communications
program which has built-in X/Y/Zmodem protocols, to SIMTEL20.  These files
were obtained directly from the author's BBS.

pd2:<msdos2.telix>
TLX312-1.ARC    Telix 3.12 comm pgm executable & support files
TLX312-2.ARC    Telix 3.12 comm pgm docs/host/scripts/dialconv
TLX312-3.ARC    Telix 3.12 comm pgm. SALT script lang. and doc

Also uploaded, but not a part of this release:

TLXDW.ARC       Use F-KEYS/Cursor over modem in TELIX

Keith
--
Keith Petersen

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1989  09:33 MST