Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/25/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 25 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 122

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Removing write-protect tabs
           Re: Response to response to *nix style ctags program
                   dBase to WordPerfect Secondary Merge
                      TeX: Upgrade of sbtex Available

Today's Queries:
                    Controlling an audio CD via a CDROM
                               DISASSEMBLERS
                      Redirecting COM1: to Disk File
                      IBM graphics terminal emulation
                                 Lotus 123

New Programs:
      Combine script for multiple-part uuencoded files from LISTSERV
          CXL v5.1 Window/menu/mouse package uploaded to SIMTEL20
                       New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
               SIMTEL35.ARC - SIMTEL20 catalog viewer, v3.5
         TPMATH.ARC - Turbo Pascal 4/5/5.5 standard math functions

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Tel-Aviv) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 22:27:00 PST
From: Rob_Dar_Woon@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Removing write-protect tabs

Way back in V89 #99 (November 7, 1989), David Camp asked about removing
the write-protect tabs from 3.5" diskettes.  I don't remember anyone else
replying to the net, so here goes ... (see diagram below)

    +------------+
    |           #| <----- write protect tab
    |  Top view  | <----+
    |            |      |
    |   +----+   |      +---- insert knife blade about here
    |   + +  |   |            and push up
    +---+-+--+---+

Get a knife blade, and insert it [carefully!] just below the write-protect
tab, in between the two halves of the diskette casing. With a smooth
upward motion, slide the knife towards the top, and in the process of
doing so, the black tab will pop out.

Of course, remove any label that blocks the top seam of the diskette
casing.

Also, be very careful that you don't cut your finger, the knife blade will
"shoot out" rather quickly.

Have fun,
Rob.

| Rob Dar Woon                   userDCF1@SFU (Bitnet)               |
| Simon Fraser University        Rob_Dar_Woon@cc.sfu.ca  (elsewhere) |
| Computing Services             (604) 291-3132                      |
| Burnaby, B.C. Canada  V5A 1S6                                      |

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Dec 89 17:44:16 EST
From: David_Stockton@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Re: Response to response to *nix style ctags program

| From: microsoft!toddw@beaver.cs.washington.edu

| If you are using Microsoft C 5.1 or MASM you can use the CALLTREE program
| provided in those packages with calltree -z<tagfile>  this generates a
| very simple markfile for use with the microsoft editor, but the format is
| so simple that other editors could probably read it:

Why would any other editor be able to read this no matter how *simple* it
is.  Programs don't think.  Things are not easy or hard for programs.
They may be time consuming or quick but either they can do it or they
cannot.  The simplicity of some never seen format has nothing to do with
whether an editor can use it or not.

The problem with this tagfile format is that as soon as a single line is
inserted or deleted before the line containing the function the row and
col in the tagfile are useless.  The tagile format that is compatible with
the Unix vi editor is reasonably resistent to changes in the file unless
they are internal to the 'funcname' line itself.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 22:50 CDT
From: Jerry Katz at Saint Louis University <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: dBase to WordPerfect Secondary Merge

A few weeks ago I asked for advice on how to convert dBase files into
WordPerfect Secondary Merge files.  I posted the question on two bulletin
boards,  Info IBM PC and WP50-L, the WordPerfect 5.0 listserv.  Over the
weeks a number of answers have come in,  and I would like to summarize the
findings for other users.

SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM

Many database programs use the dBase format as a standard format for data
files.  The program I use for my rolodex is PC Tools Deluxe v. 5.0  (which
is a program I heartily recommend,  next to WP 5.0,  the best value on the
market- especially when you take advantage of their trade-in specials,
such as $25 and the title page of my old Sidekick manual).  PCTools keeps
its data in .DBF files.

Unfortunately WordPerfect has no conversion facility for reading DBF
files.  They recommend (on paper and by phone) to convert the file into a
DIF format file WITHIN dBase, or as a backup,  convert the file to a comma
delimited format.  In either case,  the user then load WP 5.0's CONVERT
program and makes the appropriate conversion to WP Secondary Merge.

If you use PCTools or some other non-dBase program,  you may not be able
to create DIF export files,  and creating a report of the database in
comma delimited format is quite demanding for frequent use.

I was looking for quick,  easy (something that I could teach a work-study
student to do once,  and let them take care of future needs),  and above
all,  inexpensive (this is academe, y'know).

IDEAS:

1.  Programming

A number of people have suggested writing a simple program (usually in
BASIC or PASCAL) to convert the entire file from dBase to comma delimited,
or with greater difficulty to WP secondary merge.  Unfortunately,  the
programming demands are beyond my capabilities (unless I can get Lotus to
do it),  and a quick scan of the Info IBM-PC archives did not turn up any
obvious examples of such programs.

I am remain nervous about programs where I can't get support for problems.
At this time the programming approach is accessible only for those with
programming experience.

2.  Special Purpose Programs

One BITNETer suggested a program called DBWPWBS,  which was designed
expressly for such dBase to WordPerfect conversions.  The program was
given away to participants are one or more conferences,  but the program
itself is labelled as PROPRIETARY and limited in its distribution.  The
publisher is WBS and Associates, Inc.,  7620 Little River Turnpike - Suite
600,  Annandale, VA  22003, (703) 941-0270.  I have not checked with WBS
to find out if the program is more widely available these days,  or its
cost.  I have heard of several reports of incompatibilities for non-dBase
DBF files.  When I finally found someone who had the program I tried three
PCTools files and three real dBase files,  two PCTools files bombed,  the
rest worked OK.  The program is not yet bulletproof enough for me to use.

Perfect Complement Software headline program,  Perfect Complement is
designed to take dBase and clone files and use them for WordPerfect
merging.  The program apparently has a number of other capabilities, and
seems made for mailmerging in a dBase/WP 5.0 environment.  It retails for
$150,  and I haven't found a dealer in St. Louis who has,  has used,  or
support the program.  However,  I was willing to consider spending the
money on this (and praying),  until the next set of answers popped up.

3.  DBase Clones

Possibly the cheapest way to solve the problem is to select one of the
inexpensive dBase competitors.  One that I have seen and like is WAMPUM,
by Ward Mundy.  Its shareware,  and widely available through BBSs. Its a
basic Clipper compiled dBase compatible database manager,  and can import
and export DBF,  DIF and comma delimited files.  Registration is about $35
or so.  I tried the program,  liked it,  and thought the problem solved
for good,  until....

------------ A    REALLY   NICE    SOLUTION   !!!---------

Years ago when my wife needed to develop a mailing list for a children's
mental health support group,  she asked me for a recommendation.  I gave
her my site licensed copy of PC-File and forgot about it.  That was
possible because the program was very easy to use,  had a good manual,
was inexpensive, and relatively bulletproof (however,  she's pretty good
on a PC anyway,  and that wasn't a major concern).

Years later,  she asked me where I had put her PC-File original.  It went
to disk heaven over the interim,  and so I obtained the current shareware
version of PC-File:db.  I chose the db version over PC-File Plus because I
hoped that the program could handle her PC-File files AND my DBF files.

EUREKA!  Pc-File:db can import and export WordPerfect Secondary Merge
files.  It has taken every file I have, whether created by PCTools,  DBase
or Wampum,  and has returned a clean WP Secondary Merge file.  The program
is $90 retail,  but available for $55 or so at local discount outlets.
The manuals are excellent,  and their technical support was very good when
I used them in the long-ago past.  For about $20 more than WAMPUM, I can
have the entire conversion done within one program.

PC-File:db seems to have met my criteria,  its cheap, easy to use,  quick
and bulletproof.

At a discount,  the program is a tremendous value.  As a shareware
try-before-you-buy program (which is the same as the commercial version,
but the manual is on disk and lacking diagrams),  its a great way to make
sure the program meets your needs.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS and an OBSERVATION

I'd like to thanks the several people who responded to my request for
help.  By and large these responses made me feel helped at best,  and at
least a little less alone with my problem at worst.

Anyway,  thanks y'all.

Jerome (Jerry) Katz
KATZJA@sluvca.slu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 12:19:12 GMT
From: "Wayne G. Sullivan" <WSULIVAN%IRLEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TeX: Upgrade of sbtex

An upgrade of sbtex, sb29, is now available as sb29tex.arc in the SIMTEL20
pd1:<msdos.tex> directory.

sb29 is TeX 2.991 for MSDOS. I regret that I have not had, nor will have
in the near future, time to include the 2.992 changes: sbtex is a spare
time project.

The features of sb29:

1. Bug fix concerning CTRL-BREAK during terminal I-O.

2. Editing support: sb29 includes Peter Sawatzki's TE editor which
facilitates rapid scrolling between errors in the TeX file which are
marked in the LOG file. Support for the 'E' option by means of batch
files.

3. Increased hash-size. sb29 can handle up to 3500 multi-letter control
sequences; sb26 was limited to 3050.

4. User adjustable pool-size and save-size: some of the recent work by
Rainer Schoepf and Frank Mittelbach requires larger values for these than
that specified in TeX.WEB.

5. Multiple paths for TEXINPUTS and FONTTFMS. (sbtex uses FONTTFMS for the
TFM directories rather than TEXFONTS because the Beebe drivers use
TEXFONTS for fonts, which seems reasonable.) Wayne Sullivan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 23:37:31 GMT (Postman Pat ver 3.1)
From: Drew <SCR596%CYBER2.CENTRAL.BRADFORD.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Controlling an audio CD via a CDROM

Hello everyone.

We have just purchased a Sony CD-ROM player with MS-Extensions etc.  With
it there is a utility called CDPLAY which will play audio CDs.  I wonder
if there is a shareware package, preferably in the RED archives, which
will control CDs better, perhaps allowing control from command line level
in MSDOS?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Drew Radtke
-----------
Janet:       Drew@uk.ac.bradford.central.cyber2
Internet:    Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Earn/Bitnet: Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@ukacrl
UUCP:        Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Post:        Science & Society, University of Bradford, Bradford, UK, BD7 1DP.
Phone:       +44 274 733466 x6135
Fax:         +44 274 305340
Telex:       51309 UNIBFD G

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 13:54:00 EST
From: Don Kazem <DKAZEM%NAS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: DISASSEMBLERS

Could someone please suggest a disassembler package to me.  I will take
anything, PD or commercial.

Thanks,

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 13 December 89, 15:31:32 MEZ
From: Marc Heinrich Prosenc  <CHSTUD5%DKNKURZ1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Redirecting COM1: to Disk File

    Does anyone know how to redirect the COM1: port to a disk file?  I
seem to remember that in an older version of DOS, I could do 'stty' to
make this happen.  In the newer versions of DOS, this command is not
available.

  thank's   marc

[I think 'stty' is a unix command.  Perhaps CTTY?  Redirect console to
another 'location' such as COM1:?]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 11:02:12 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: IBM graphics terminal emulation

I am doing an application where SAS on a mainframe should do statistical
graphics and this pictures should be converted ind video broadcast quality
signals.

The hardware is available. There is a very good video card which
translates VGA into PAL (which is what I need).

No the whole ystem should run in a pure IBM mainframe world.  3270 cards
for PCs are available, so we can run a PC as a terminal and this way get
out TV signal.

Is there any software emulating the highest possible original IBM graphics
terminal on a PC using this kind of hardware?

Money is not the main problem, it will be bought by the Austrian national
TV station.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 14:21:02 EST
From: Colin Smith <COLIN%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Lotus 123

There is a professor at our university who has been developing a software
product for Economic Modelling.  He has almost completed it and has
decided to make the output file Lotus 123 compatible.  Any suggestions or
comments on comma delimited files would be helpful.

-Colin --O.
         O--

Colin Smith                |
Colin@UOTTAWA.BITNET       |   A mime is a terrible
Computing & Comm. Services |   thing to waste.
University of Ottawa       |
Ottawa, Ontario            |         Marcel Marceau's
K1N 6N5                    |         Second Live Album
(613) 564-8104             |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1989  15:54 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Combine script for multiple-part uuencoded files from LISTSERV

Brian Vanlandingham <bvan@uncecs.edu> writes:
> Would it be possible for you to post something on how to concatenate
> multi part uuencoded binaries received from LISTSERV. The problem I'm
> having (an other people, judging from some of the posting on usenet)
> is that the much beloved 'combine' script we've been using to get
> binaries posted via newsgroups doesn't know how to deal with them
> because individual parts on the LISTSERV files lack a 'BEGIN' line.
> thanks.

The following Unix shell script "lcombine" is functionally the same as the
comp.binaries.ibm.pc "combine" script.  Use it to uudecode multiple-part
uuencoded files received from LISTSERV (or TRICKLE in Europe).

#! /bin/sh
cat $* | sed '/--- End /,/--- Part/d' | uudecode

Save that as an executable shell script called "lcombine".  Assuming you
have saved the multiple-part uuencoded files in a logical manner, such as:

     simibm.uue1, simibm.uue2, simibm.uue3

invoke the script like this:

lcombine simibm.uue*

It will combine all the pieces together, skipping everything between the
dashed lines with "End" and "Part", and feed the result to uudecode.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1989  12:07 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CXL v5.1 Window/menu/mouse package uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1989  23:54 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20;

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
AM444.ARC       ArcMaster 4.44, Shell utility for ZIP/LZH/ARC
SHEZ51.ARC      Shell for archive manipulation, w/virus check

pd1:<msdos.bbslists>
USBBS67.ARC     Darwin's nationwide IBM BBS listing: 12/01/89

pd1:<msdos.graphics>
VGACAD15.ARC    Edit and colorize digitized images (VGA req)

pd1:<msdos.printer>
SPOOLRII.ARC    BACKGROUND print spooler

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
PC-MIX.ARC      A multi-tasking system for MS-DOS/PC-DOS

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
SCANRS50.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
SCANV50.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 52 viruses

pd1:<msdos.vga>
VANSI.ARC       VGA ver. of NANSI.SYS, replaces ANSI.SYS

pd2:<msdos.modem>
REMCTRL.ARC     TSR, remote control computer's answer mode

pd2:<msdos2.zmodem>
PCZ21189.ARC    PcConnect Zmodem v2.11, a Public Domain Zmodem
TAGGER30.ARC    Download interface for Zmodem and Comm pgms

pd1:<msdos.database>
EDB31.ARC       Easy to use menu-driven Data Base program

pd1:<msdos.graphics>
GEOCLK40.ARC    World map w/day-night terminator,times,EGA/VGA

pd1:<msdos.pcmag>
VOL9N01.ARC     PcMag ATDT.BAT,CHECKCOM.BAT,PCREMOTE,INIT87

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
EXECSWAP.ARC    Swaps calling program into expanded memory
ZIP141.ARC      115K bps PC-to-PC serial file transfers!

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
NETSCAN.ARC     Network compatible - scan for 54 viruses, v51
SCANRS51.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
SCANV51.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 54 viruses

pd1:<msdos.zip>
2ZIP25.ARC      Convert most any archived file to ZIP format

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
COMMO331.ARC    Small comm program uses external protocols

pd2:<msdos2.telix>
BITLXMNP.ARC    Add BiModem to Telix used with MNP modems

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1989  23:31 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL35.ARC - SIMTEL20 catalog viewer, v3.5

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1989  00:04 MST