Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/28/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 27 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 123

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                              Buttonware news
            Overlay linker that produces external overlay files
                             Trickle in Israel

Today's Queries:
                        Bus standards and the 6581
                         DOS 4.01 and Seagate 4096
                           Interrupt information
                             MS Mouse problems
                            STDIO editor wanted
                               Unix for 386
              Wanted: MS-DOS/VMS compatible COMPRESS program
                              What is LaTeX?

New Programs:
          4DOS221.ARC - 4DOS v2.21 - replacement for COMMAND.COM
         CNFMT106.ARC - Background floppy disk formatter by SYDEX
                       New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1989  08:47 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Buttonware news

The following file is contained in Volume 000 of the most recently
received set of PC/Blue volumes to be uploaded next week.  We will be
honoring the request stated below at that time.

--Frank
--------------------

November 7, 1989

To: All BBS's, User Groups, and Disk Vendors

Beginning January 1, 1990 Buttonware is discontinuing support and
production of PC-Dial, PC-Stylist (PC-Style), PC-Tickle and XD- Extended
DOS. We request your assistance in notifying your club members,
librarians, BBS's and customers of these changes. As the copyright holder
of these Shareware products Buttonware will not allow the distribution of
these products after Jan. 1st. Please remove these products from your
catalogs, advertisements, libraries, etc.

Over the years your support and assistance in distributing shareware
versions has helped make it possible for us to provide quality, affordable
software. We are committed to that philosophy and look forward to your
continued support of Buttonware products.

Sincerely,

Jim Button
CEO

P.S. Our current line of Shareware products is: PC-File+ 3.0, PC-File:dB
1.1, PC-Type II 1.0, PC-Calc+ 2.0 and Baker's Dozen 1.0. Please make sure
your catalogs and libraries are current.

                                                December 7, 1989

The following volumes are hereby deleted from the PC/Blue library:

PC-Style                Writing Analyzer        volumes 314
PC-Dial                 Communications Program  volume 53 and 315
XD DOS Extension        DOS Extension           volume 316
PC-Tickler              Calendar Program        volume 317

                                        Editor/Librarian
                                        Hank Kee

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 16:10:20 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Overlay linker that produces external overlay files

Someone asked if there were a linker that did not put all the overlays
into the single EXE file.

Yes -- RTLINK by Pocksoft, Inc. provides this option.  They are at P.O.
Box 821049, Houston, TX  77282, (713)460-5600, fax is (713) 460-2651.

(P.S. they will be releasing an overlay virtual memory manager that sounds
like the Plink Plus product which places overlays into expanded or
extended memory.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 22:46:24 IST
From: Itamar Even-Zohar <B10%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Trickle in Israel

May I remark that, as long as you indicate COUNTRIES for the various
TRICKLE stations (Belgium, Denmark, Turkey), you should indicate ISRAEL,
not Tel Aviv, as the location of the TAUNIVM TRICKLE.

Sincerely,
Itamar Even-Zohar
Porter Institute

[You're right!  Change made as suggested.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 17:07:51 CST
From: Rob Fugina <S096128@umrvma.bitnet>
Subject: Bus standards and the 6581

Can someone tell me where to find the kind of info I need to interface a
6581 SID chip onto a card for an IBM PC/clone?  I'm interested in making
my own card with up to 4 6581's on it and programming it hopefully from
Turbo Pascal, so I also need help writing something probably in assembler
to access the card.  If this last thing can be avoided, it will...

  Rob Fugina
      Bitnet:  S096128@UMRVMA
      Internet:  S096128@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU
              or robf@cs.umr.edu

"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it
      is comprehensible."  --Albert Einstein

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 89 03:15:40 GMT
From: gt5302b%prism@gatech.edu (R. Steve Walker)
Subject: DOS 4.01 and Seagate 4096

Is there any way to get DOS 4.01 to recognize a Seagate 80MB drive without
reformatting?  I'd like to be able to upgrade from DOS 3.3 quickly and
easily.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 16 Dec 89 19:33:22 +0200
From:         Baruch Even <NYEVENBA@WEIZMANN>
Subject:      Interrupt information

I'd like to get information about interrupts of the ibm pc-xt-at, if
anyone have such an information or know about book or file that have such
an information please let me know.

I'd like to know about documented and undocumented interrupts.

  any information can be sent to: NYEVENBA@WEIZMANN or by this server.

any information will be appriciated.
   Baruch Even.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 89 16:20:01 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: MS Mouse problems

I have an MS mouse attached to my PS/2 70's mouse port - nothing unusual.
The most works perfectly except for one small case.  When I play Gauntlet
II by Mindscape (cool game, by the way) with the mouse, after a while the
mouse will go berzerk.  It acts as if someone were constantly pressing the
button and moving the mouse in rapid, random motion.

I got the mouse during the summer, so it should be version 6.x something.
I use the device driver instead of the TSR.  Can anyone tell me what
causes this problem?  It doesn't seem to be connected to anything I can
notice - it's truly out of the blue.  TIA

-- The Time Traveler, HE891C@GWUVM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 89 17:13:11 est
From: mvac23!thomas@udel.edu
Subject: STDIO editor wanted

I have a need (like a recent posting) to access my computer remotely from
another PC.  However, I need to use a full-screen editor at times to edit
files (which may be up to 50K in size).

Does anyone know of an editor which is available which:

1. provides full-screen support, but only uses the standard I/O (ie. no
writes directly to the screen),

2. can edit files up to 50K in size and,

3. can handle the arrow keys as well as backspace key as defined to a PC?

Thanks.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

------------------------------

Date: FRI DEC 15, 1989 14.29.01 EST
From: <WAB1%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu>
Subject: Unix for 386

I have heard that there is a public domain version of Unix for 386
machines. Can anyone confirm this and tell me where I can get a copy of
it.

                            Thanks, Bill

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 13:18:12 est
From: Trevor Cradduck <trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca>
Subject: Wanted: MS-DOS/VMS compatible COMPRESS program

I have been looking for a COMPRESS program that is compatible with the
standard VAX/VMS COMPRESS utility but which is MS-DOS based.  I would like
to be able to compress my files on the PC, upload them to the VAX and then
de-compress again once they are there.  To date, I have been unsuccessful
and I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.  There must
surely be an MS-DOS program to perform this task.  Many Tnx

Trevor Cradduck,                |  Phone: (519) 667-6574
Department of Nuclear Medicine, |  FAX: (519) 667-6734
Victoria Hospital,              |  E-mail:
University of Western Ontario,  |  BITNET:   TREVORC@UWOVAX.BITNET
LONDON,  Ontario,               |  INTERNET: TREVORC@UWOVAX.UWO.CA
Canada,  N6A 4G5                |  UUCP:     TREVORC@RIA.UWO.CA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 12:09:34 CDT
From: Brian Piersel <SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: What is LaTeX?

I must have missed something somewhere, but I've noticed recent
discussions about LaTeX and TeX, and I have no idea what they are. Would
someone care to explain to me what LaTeX and TeX are?

|  Brian Piersel                               |
| BITNET:  SPBK09@SDNET                        |
| INTERNET:  SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU |
| "Kirk, my old friend...." - Kahn             |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1989  15:21 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: 4DOS221.ARC - 4DOS v2.21 - replacement for COMMAND.COM

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1989  10:18 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CNFMT106.ARC - Background floppy disk formatter by SYDEX

I have uploaded this file to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
CNFMT106.ARC    Background floppy disk formatter by SYDEX

This program is a real time saver.  I use it to format diskettes while I
read my email on-line with my terminal program.  It's certainly well worth
the small ShareWare registration fee, in my opinion.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1989  22:06 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
ALGEBRAX.ARC    Professor Weissman's Algebra tutor, v1.50

pd2:<msdos2.zmodem>
DSZ1214.ARC     X/Y/Zmodem protocol file transfer pgm 12/14/89
DSZ1214X.ARC    X/Y/Zmodem file transfer EXE version  12/14/89

pd1:<msdos.qbasic>
TOPMENU2.ARC    Quick Basic 4.x source: nice pulldown menu

Keith Petersen