Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (12/29/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 29 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 126

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                              APL "compiler"
                  Re: Data Analysis Information Requested
                            EMS memory sharing
                               MAC <==> IBM
                   New List for Users of Microsoft Word
                   non-IBM ESDI disks on a PS/2 model 60
                   Problems with 30/10 Mbyte Partitions
                        Telix and just another try
                         Cyborg (AIDS) Virus info

Today's Queries:
                   Can I get help with CDISK431.UUEARC?
                        hpgl to mswindows metafile
                                MASM books?
                          Missing TeX Font files
                   Phone/Fax number required for RAXSOFT
                     i386 gcc protected mode compiler?

New uploads:
       SLICE10A.ARC - PcMag utl fix: split long files to mult. disks
         TPSTR121.ARC - String functions package for Turbo Pascal

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89  12:36:08 EST
From: murray%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: APL "compiler"

Don Kazem recently asked about the availability of an APL "compiler".  If
he really means a compiler, then I doubt he's going to find one that's
public domain or shareware:  writing a compiler for a language like APL,
with late binding of variable types, e.g., is no trivial matter.
Actually, I know of only one commercial APL compiler, and that's from
STSC, Inc., 2115 East Jefferson St., Rockville, MD 20852 (phone
301-984-5000).  I've seen papers describing experimental APL compilers
under development at IBM, but I believe they are not commercial products.

If, however, you really are looking for a public domain or shareware APL
*interpreter*, then that's a different story.  The not-for-profit
international organization I-APL, Ltd., has produced just such a product.
The version that works on IBM PCs and the like is available from the U.S.
I-APL chairman, Edward M. Cherlin, 6611 Linville Drive, Weed, CA 96094.  I
believe the cost is nominal (to cover disks and mailing).  You'll have to
pay for the various manuals and tutorials that I-APL has published.

Naturally, the I-APL interpreter gives you what you pay for:  slightly
limited functionality, use of only a small segment of memory, and speed
that's hardly dramatic.

For a full-fledged APL product, you need to turn to commercial sources.
For example, STSC has a version for PCs and another for 386-type machines
(not to mention versions for Unix machines).  IBM has a version of its
APL2 for PCs.

Murray Eisenberg                         murray@umass.bitnet
Math/Stat Dept
LGRT
Univ. of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003

------------------------------

Date: Wed Dec 20 12:44:58 GMT 1989
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Re: Data Analysis Information Requested

> Has anyone of you knowlegde of a program that will take a set of data and
> produce an polynomial equation fitting these data?

I understand from a colleague that a package called Matlab will do this.

Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds.ac.uk
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!lena!mike or mike@lena.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89  12:21:35 EST
From: murray%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: EMS memory sharing

David Camp recently asked about whether there were programs in existence
that allowed one to allocate expanded memory as needed for disk cache.

The PC-Kwik Power Pak, by Multisoft Corporation, does something like that
in that it employs a user-specified portion of EMS memory that it shares
dynamicaly between a disk cache (Super PC-Kwik Disk Accelerator), a RAM
disk, and a print spooler.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 12:13:54 CST
From: oakhill!pooh!jbudet@cs.utexas.edu (Jim Budet)
Subject: MAC <==> IBM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I need a program which will add a Macintosh header to a binary file.
>I'm trying to transfer via modem a file from my IBM to a friend's Mac
>(GIF files, to be exact), but his communications program doesn't seem
>to add a header.  Therefore, I need either a new communications program
>(for Mac, obviously), or a file to add headers.

You do not need to add a special Mac header to the GIF file on the Mac.  I
use Versaterm to get GIF files onto the Mac.  The transfer is done using
binary kermit (not mac binary) and the resultant file is read by Giffer
and Vision Lab.

I used to have trouble going from the Mac to the IBM with GIF files.  If
you save a file from say Giffer, it makes it a Giffer file and the PC GIF
programs do not know what to do with it.  In this case I use resedt to
make the GIF file a type TEXT and transfer it as usual.  Works fine.

One more note, now that I have a Mac with a Supra drive, I can use the
apple transfer utility to get the files easily from MAC <-> IBM PC.  I
still use the serial link for transfer to/from the Sun though.

 Jim Budet                                Usenet: oakhill!jbudet@cs.utexas.edu
 Motorola Microprocessor Products Group   Compuserve: 73177,171
 Austin, Texas                            Phone: (512) 891-3175

 Motorola does not necessarily share the opinions expressed in this message.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 13:57 EST
From: E_DAVIES%HVRFORD.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: new list for users of Microsoft Word

There is now a list for users of Microsoft Word.  The details are
described below.  If anyone has any questions or suggestions, I'd be more
than happy to hear them.  Thanks!

Eric Davies, E_DAVIES@HVRFORD.BITNET
Haverford College
Haverford, PA 19041

WORD-PC is a list for users of Microsoft Word running under DOS or
Windows.  It is intended to serve as a forum in which all issues related
to MS Word for the PC, technical and non-technical, may be discussed in
depth.  The list is not currently moderated, but may be at a later date.

Interested persons may subscribe by sending mail (NOT interactive
messages) with a blank subject line and the single command SUBSCRIBE
WORD-PC to MAILSERV@HVRFORD.BITNET.  Unsubscribing is done in the same
manner, replacing the SUBSCRIBE command with an UNSUBSCRIBE command.

The coordinator for the list is Eric Davies, E_DAVIES@HVRFORD.BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 21:15:04 PST
From: Bruce_A._Cowan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: non-IBM ESDI disks on a PS/2 model 60

I don't know about the model 60, but I'm sitting here typing this into my
model 80 which is using the standard IBM ESDI controller and an Imprimis
383H ESDI disk.  It works fine and is noticeably faster than the IBM drive
which I had been using.

The trick, of course, is to get the disk formatted for use by the IBM
controller.  I could find no way to get the IBM software to do that, even
when I tried the low-level format which is accessible on the reference
disk via Ctrl-A.  So, I used the Ontrack Disk Manager version P4.0 which
did the trick just fine.

I can't say enough bad things about the documentation which comes with the
program, but once I plowed through the "online documentation", I didn't
really have any trouble getting the program to do what I wanted, which was
to low level format the disk, put on the kind of partitions I wanted
(standard DOS, unix, and OS/2 1.2) rather than the disk manager
proprietary types it wants to put on.  If you use their proprietary
paritions you are forced to use their device driver and I didn't want
that.  The trick to all this is to use the program in expert or
non-automatic mode (or some words to that effect).  When you do that it
gives you lots of power and does what you want rather than what it wants.

Disk Manager works like many of the other formatting utilities - you enter
the bad blocks by hand, it doesn't read them off the disk.  Once you've
done that it sets up the disk with an IBM-compatible format which hides
all the bad sectors.  That worked exactly as advertised for me.

The documentation makes some comments about being very patient when you
first turn on the computer with the unformatted hard disk installed.
Believe them, it takes the BIOS a LONG time to decide that it really can
make it through the POST with this strange hard disk.  I don't know what
happens if you try to boot the original IBM hard disk - I didn't, I booted
from a floppy.  I think I recall having to hit F1 once or twice to get
things going.  I did NOT try to tell the auto-configuration about the new
hard disk until I had completed the formatting and partitioning, and then
I found out I didn't have to, it was now happy.  I've run the computer
with both the IBM and the Imprimis disks installed at the same time and
with only the IBM and only the Imprimis.  I've even made the Imprimis the
primary hard disk and the IBM the second one, which is how I normally use
the computer.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that you should be careful to
have a terminator in only one of the disks and that the drive select
should be set to the second position (IBM, as usual, uses a half-twist in
the cable so that both drives are configured on the "same" select line).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 22:27:54 CDT
From: Brian Piersel <SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Problems with 30/10 Mbyte Partitions

On Wed, 29 Nov 89 12:58:05 +0200 you said:
>Recently I had trouble with booting from the 30 meg partition (C:). A
>friend lent me Norton's Disk Doctor, which at first would not recognize
>the disk, eventually however "fixing" it all. As a result, the C; disk
>does boot, but the D: disk is considered not existent?!
>
>I could try using Fdisk to create a new partition but I am afraid -- won't
>I ruin everything? [yes]

Sounds like a problem with the partition table. I'd try the following:

1) BACK UP EVERYTHING!!! Make sure any files you *do* have access to are
backed up, "just in case" :)

2) Using a program such as Norton Utilities, edit the partition table.  I
think Norton has a real nice partition table editor, but other programs
might work as well. Make sure the second DOS partition is set as the
extended partition or whatever it is, not the primary partition. You might
need help from someone else who knows a bit more about partition tables,
etc.

Once you get your D: drive back, why not back it up, too?

Brian Piersel
BITNET:  SPBK09@SDNET
INTERNET:  SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU

"Kirk, my old friend...." - Kahn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 11:12:12 est
From: bvan@mvax.dcem.dnd.ca (Bryan E. Van Blaricom)
Subject: Telix and just another try

> I do have an enormous problem I want to register my telix version.
>
> I do need some information therefor. But no result on trying to contact
> the writers of the package.  Does any one now if they really exist. Does
> any one know what the latest version is and what the new futures are?

The latest version of Telix is version 3.12, which I have seen on a
bulletin board just recently.  I don't think there are much enhancements,
though, over the version I registered with them, 3.11.

You can get information on registering Telix from:

Exis, Inc.
P.O. Box 130,
West Hill, Ontario  M1E 4R4
Canada

Bryan Van Blaricom
bvan@mvax.dcem.dnd.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 00:58:14 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Cyborg (AIDS) Virus info

On Sun, 17 Dec 89 11:38:21 MEZ you said:
>ALL PERSONS WHO RECEIVE A 5.25 INCH DISKETTE FROM A COMPANY
>NAMED CYBORG (LOCATED IN PANAMA) SHOULD IN NO CASE RUN THAT SOFTWARE
>    A G A I N   D O   N O T   R U N   T H I S   S O F T W A R E !!!!
>
>He bought address labels of the computer magazine PC Business World
>...They sent out Diskettes that claim to contain
>a programm with information on AIDS.
>There is a simple and useless program on AIDS on the disk BUT ALSO
>A "LOGIC TIME BOMB" THAT WILL AFTER A WHILE ENCRYPT ALL THE FILENAMES
>ON YOUR DISK. The program prints out order forms for a 1 year or 60 year
>lease for your PC, payable to PC CYBORG COOPERATION in Panama (189 or 378
>US Dollars).
>Currently we are working in international effort and cooperation with
>police and investigation agencies to find a cure.

According to the Dec 18 issue of InfoWorld (the U.S. "sister publication"
of PC Business World), the facts above are essentially correct (page 5).
The article concludes:

"PC Business World will send PC users a free software remedy devised by
Bates Associates upon request.  The magazine can be reached in London at
011-44-831-9252."

The article notes that the files only APPEAR to have been lost, and that
"Anyone with Norton Utilities and sufficient knowledge could reverse
it..."

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 21:02:31 EST
From: DAVID1%UCONNVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Can I get help with CDISK431.UUEARC?

Can someone verify a problem that I had with CDISK431?

I downloaded the UUEARC file from SIMTEL, and downloaded it from our host
3090 to a PC. After normal UUEDecoding PKXARC was unable to extract the
first three files (including the main .EXE file), saying that the method
used was unknown.  On the mainframe, I used ARCUTIL to UUDecode and UNARC,
and it was successful.  SO....

I UUEncoded the CATDISK.EXE file, downloaded it to the PC, UUDecoded it
locally, and it failed to run, "program is too large, not enough storage
available".

Is there something wrong with the original CDISK431.UUEARC file?

Thanks
Carl David
DAVID at UCONNVM (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 14:29 N
From: <SCHNEUWL%CZHETH5A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: hpgl to mswindows metafile

We are looking for a possibility to include HPGL plotter files into our
documents. We are working under MS-Windows. A conversion utility to
Encapsulated Postscript does not help very much, because we have no
possibility to edit the plots any further. So the utility we are looking
for should convert from HPGL to MS-Windows Metafile format or to
MicroGrafx .drw format. Does anybody know such a beast preferably (but not
necessary) PD.

                        B. Schneuwly
                        SCHNEUWLY@CZHETH5A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 11:00:39 CDT
From: Brian Piersel <SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: MASM books?

With MS-DOS 3.3, a copy of MASM version 4.00 was included. However, I
can't find any info about using it in the manuals that came with DOS.  Can
anyone suggest a good book detailing this assembler?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Piersel
BITNET:  SPBK09@SDNET
INTERNET:  SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU

IBM = Itty Bitty Machine

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 19:19 EST
From: FCUBBAGE@GRAD.CIS.TEMPLE.EDU
Subject: Missing TeX Font files

I have down-loaded the PC TeX files DOSTEX1.arc through DOSTEX6.arc and
have attempted to use the DVIEPS routine to drive my Epson LX-800.

This works, except that DVIEPS looks for Font files (CMR12 & CMR17) which
did not come with the archives. I don't know if there are more missing, I
found this in running the Sample.TeX that was included.

Does anyone know where I can find these files?

Thanks in advance.
Frank Cubbage

fcubbage@tmplcis.bitnet
fcubbage@grad.cis.temple.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 17:59:34 GMT
From: Brian J Haughey <HAUGHD88%IRLEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Phone/Fax number required for RAXSOFT

I'm trying to get in touch with a company called "Raxsoft Development",
who [used to] reside at Lafayette in California, USA. Would any of you
have a phone or fax number, or email address, for this company?  If so,
please respond by email. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Brian J Haughey,     Internet:  Haughd88@Irlearn.ucd.ie
9 Dunseverick Road,  Bitnet:    Haughd88@Irlearn.Bitnet
Clontarf,            Janet:     haughd88%irlearn.ucd.ie@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY
Dublin 3,            Arpa:      Haughd88%Irlearn.Bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Ireland.             UUCP:      mcvax!haughd88@irlearn.ucd.ie
Bell:  +353-1-515422 Fax:       +353-1-520826  Telex:  (0500) 30542 LKHQ

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 89 17:38:07 GMT
From: theseas!nass@relay.EU.net (Nassos Papakostas)
Subject: i386 gcc protected mode compiler?

Can anybody help me with the following: my thesis is to write a virtual
memory Operating System for the Intel 80386 CPU (in fact, extend a System
that already exists(localy developed)). Unfortunately, I don't have a
32-bit protected mode compiler producing DOS .EXE output (the OS is
started from DOS and uses DOS file system and format). What I can do, of
course, is buy such a thing, but I don't know anything about companies,
prices, features etc. Any help on this welcome. Second option: modify gcc,
using the 386 machine description in the .../gcc/config directory, to
produce such an output. How can this be done?  (if it can... Has anybody
done it?). Any help welcome, too.

Nassos Papakostas
theseas System Manager

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1989  22:33 MST