Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/31/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 31 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 127

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
        Reply to Procomm VT100 problem and question about issue #'s
                            Overlays Revisited
                               SLICE10A.ARC
                      UUencoding by the RPIECS server
                             ZModem for VM/CMS

Today's Queries:
                    Help for Handicapped Communications
                         Spanish spelling checker
                    Turbo Pascal 5.5 Graphics Printing
                           Which mouse is best?

New Uploads:
        ASYNCPEC.ARC - Interrupt-driven async comm rtns for MSC 5.x
        CROSS10.ARC - Splits large files into diskette sized files
                MSDOS program updates uploaded to SIMTEL20
            New anti-virus and anti-trojan programs at SIMTEL20
                       New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
                New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20 (correction)
                 SCANCODE.ARC name changed to KEYKILL.ARC
                  TSKERM23.ARC MsKermit utilities update

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sat Dec 23 12:36:08 1989
From: taclgqp@lognet2.af.mil (Cpt Glen Marumoto)
Subject: Reply to Procomm VT100 problem and question about issue #'s

I am really behind on my reading of Info-IBM, so if this has been answered
put it in the disregard file.

In V89 #88 of Info-IBM, the question was asked about mapping keys from the
VT100 emulation in PROCOMM to EDT on a VAX machine.  Back in my graduate
days, we had a similiar problem.  The answer for me was it depends on the
micro you are using.  The easist way to find the keys is go to keypad
layout help function (on a 10 function key Z-248 it was the F3 key I
believe) then start pressing keys.  What results is EDT's interpretation
of what you are sending it.  This is the sledgehammer approach, but, hey,
it works.

Now my question is the way issues are numbered.  When my issues show up I
seem to be missing some (V89 #90 is a case in point).  Now I realise an
archive exists, but when I go there the issue I am looking for is not
there either.  Do I disregard, or keep searching?  Thanks in advance.

Capt Glen S. Marumoto, USAF
Novice Hacker Trying to Get Dangerous
Langley AFB, VA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1989 15:08:50 CST
From: KJE2282 @ VENUS.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Overlays

 I have seen quite a few questions regarding overlays.  With MS Link
(versions > 3.0 ?) they are incredibly EASY.

 Quoting from the Microsoft CodeView and Utilities manual, Linking Object
Files with Link Chapter, Section 12.5 Using Overlays:

>    You specify overlays by enclosing them in parenthesis in the list of
>object files that you submit to the linker. Each module in parenthesis
>represents one overlay.  For example, you could give the following
>object-file list in the OBJECTFILES field of the LINK command line:

>    a + (b+c) + (e+f) + g + (i)

 There's more info in the manual, but that is the gist of it.

 Kevin J. English                      VoiceNet (409) 845-1553
 STARR LAB                             FaxNet   (409) 845-6432
 Range Science - TAMU                  Internet kje2282@venus.tamu.edu
 College Station, Tx 77843             Bitnet   kje2282@tamvenus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 15:00:08 EST
From: chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim  Dworkin)
Subject: SLICE10A.ARC

I noticed someone submitted a slice10A.  I think I saw a slice v 1.1
floating around somewhere.  In the event I can find it again I'll upload
it.

Chaim

[When you do find it, please send Keith Petersen
<w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil> a message directly requesting procedures.
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 13:05:16 EST
From: "John S. Fisher" <FISHER%RPIECS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: UUencoding by the RPIECS server

I've been researching the whole problem as best I can.  Not being a
"Unix-person" nor in close touch with the Unix community, this has taken
longer than it might otherwise had.  At any rate, the result is the
following announcement.

Effective immediately:

(1)  The server at RPIECS uses the grave-accent substitute for blank in
its uuencoder.  Since this eliminates the trailing blank truncation
problem, the trailing M character is removed.  I believe that the
uuencoding variant now in use conforms to the officially recognized
standard method.

(2)  The option OLDUUE is available on the /PDGET command to explicitly
request the trailing-M form for those that really need it.  The
speculation is that no-one will, so this option may be removed in the
future.

(3)  As an alternate to uuencoding, the so-called xxencoding method can be
requested by specifying XXENCODE as an option on the /PDGET command.

(4)  The PDGET HELP file will be updated to reflect the changes.

The user-visible change here is that uuencoded files, implicitly or
explicitly requested, are now being sent in the newer format.  (Please
note that checksumming is *not* included.  I have been informed that this
is not (yet?) an official standard variant.)  I hope this is good news for
some and no news for most of you.

On the side of bad news:  In the process of making this change today,
three user requests for uuencoded data slipped in during testing.  They
were incorrectly sent out as xxencoded files.  My apologies to the users
affected by this error.

I am now in the process of packaging the server changes to forward to
NDSUVM1.  I suspect the people there will be making the same changes in
short order, but the actual schedule is for them to determine.

/JSFisher

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 22:07:38 EST
From: JEWIL%UCONNVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: ZModem for VM/CMS

Greetings,

     I recently posted an inquiry to this and other lists looking for
information on the ZModem possibilities on VM/CMS. This is a report my
findings and a thank you note to those who added there twenty-five cents
worth.

     ZModem for VM/CMS does not exist. The primary reason is that most
mainframe communications take place at 7 bits. (The only exception that I
know of is ASU which expects 8 bits.) If Z could be implemented it would
offer significant savings, even as compared to the best available file
transfer protocol (Kermit with the packet size set to 1K).

     The universally held opinion is that ZModem needs 8 bits and cannot
be modified to run on 7 (this information confirmed by a high Z source
[thanx Jeff]). Therefore until many of the mainframe systems (including
UConn) follow ASU's lead and switch to 8 bits (hint Steve) there is not
likely to be a ZModem for VM/CMS.

     My thanks to all those who shared what they knew and my apologies for
taking so long to respond.

Stephen J. Williams
12 September Road                         SWILLIAM@UCONNVM.BITNET
Storrs                                       JEWIL@UCONNVM.BITNET
Connecticut 06268-2806                             (203) 456-1268

Acknowledge-To: <JEWIL@UCONNVM>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 16:30:20 CST
From: clarkson@Mayo.edu (JAY)

SEND <MSDOS>FILES.IDX

------------------------------

Date: Sat Dec 23 13:05:15 1989
From: taclgqp@lognet2.af.mil (Cpt Glen Marumoto)
Subject: Help for Handicapped Communications

I am asking this of the net for someone who does not subscribe to
Info-IBMPC.

We are looking for some computer-based (preferably a laptop) hardware/
software applications to be used by a person afflicted by MS (that's
Multiple Sclerosis, not Micro-Soft).  The person can understand anything
spoken or written to him, but is unable to respond back.  He is capable
limited physical movement like hand and head movement.

Brainstorming some ideas we came up with such concepts as tying a lightpen
to some type of voice generation software to communicate simple answers
and questions.  We would appreciate any hints, suggestions, pointers or
directions  to agencies who are working such applications.  Thanks in
advance.

Glen S. Marumoto
taclgqp%lognet2.af.mil
Novice Hacker

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 11:25:00 EST
From: Groisman%UNCAMULT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: Spanish spelling checker.

I am searching for information on Spanish laguage spelling checkers.  I am
interested in both shareware and commercial products, with preference for
the first type.

Though I follow the list I would appreciate personal responses.  If enough
material gathers I will post a summary of available products here.

Thank you all.

          Gaston Groisman     (groisman@uncamult.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 19:48 EST
From: EDGINGTC%WABASH.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: Turbo Pascal 5.5 Graphics Printing

Can anyone help me:

        I am trying to write a program in Turbo Pascal 5.5 that will print
bit-image graphics to an Epson compatible printer (Panasonic KXP1091i).  I
have copied the ESC character-graphics-code sequences directly from the
manuals of my Panasonic printer and from a friend's Epson printer and the
examples are exactly the same but still no graphics output.  The printer
will print nothing until I send it some plain vanilla text, after which it
prints the text and some garbage mixed together.  What am I doing
wrong????

Thanks,

Chris Edgington
Computer Science
Wabash College

------------------------------

Date: 22 Dec 89 09:20:00 GMT-9:00
From: "James Linscheid" <603apsss@kadena-emh.af.mil>
Subject: Which mouse is best?

Hello,

        I'm in the market for a new mouse and have basically narrowed my
choices down to either the new Logitech C9 mouse, and the new Microsoft
mouse

        Since I am located in an overseas location, my access to reviews
and such has been very limited, and the advertisements do not tend to be
very objective.

        I would really appreciate hearing any personal experience from
anyone who has used these mice, especially from those that have used or
compared both.

        Please send any replies directly to me since this is probably not
a proper place for a public debate on commercial products.

        Thank you very much

        James Linscheid

        <603APSSS@Kadena-EMH.AF.MIL>

[How about summarizing the responses, and then forward the summary along
with what you purchased.  I'm also in the market for a mouse, and my
access is even more limited than yours...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1989  08:58 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ASYNCPEC.ARC - Interrupt-driven async comm rtns for MSC 5.x

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1989  13:10 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CROSS10.ARC - Splits large files into diskette sized files

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1989  22:44 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: MSDOS program updates uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1989  14:18 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New anti-virus and anti-trojan programs at SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20, obtained from the
HomeBase BBS:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
AIDSOUT.ARC     AIDS Trojan remover, use after SCANV
A-VIRUS1.ARC    Information on AIDs Trojan
SCANRS52.ARC    Resident virus infection prevention program
SCANV52.ARC     VirusScan, scans your disk for 56 viruses

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1989  20:48 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
AM444A.ARC      ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH

pd1:<msdos.asm-mag>
AMAG1289.ARC    The Assembly Language 'MAGAZINE', 12/89 issue

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
DIRNO110.ARC    Create commented dir listings, from PC Mag.

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
PCOPY83.ARC     Patriquin COPY, file copier with many options

pd1:<msdos.filedocs>
LVLIST15.ARC    Chen's "Latest Version List", reviews and more

pd1:<msdos.editor>
QCP208.ARC      Use QEDIT208 with your favorite compiler
QMAC208.ARC     Macro Compiler for Qedit 2.08

pd1:<msdos.screen>
DCURSES2.ZIP    Unix Curses window lib for MSDOS (MSC & TC)

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
DIALER95.ARC    Automatic modem dialer - background TSR
MODEMD22.ARC    Modem Doctor/complete modem & UART diagnostics

pd2:<msdos2.zmodem>
AVGZ11.ARC      DSZ log analyzer displays file xfer statistics
ZMOD-SNP.ARC    Automate insertion of serial number for DSZ

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1989  19:52 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SCANCODE.ARC name changed to KEYKILL.ARC

Greg, I have renamed your SCANCODE.ARC to KEYKILL.ARC which really is more
appropriate to the function of the programs within.  The Scancode program
was mainly for getting the scan code numbers to enter into KEYKILL.

--Keith

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1989  09:26 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TSKERM23.ARC MsKermit utilities update