Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/01/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 31 Dec 89       Volume 89 : Issue 128

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                   3.3 -> 4.01 Conversion (Seagate 4096)
                             Changing Commands
                            compress (v89 #121)
                      Controlling Office PC from Home
                            Hypercard/hypertext
                               LINT Program
                         Questions policy (2 msgs)
                    Recording system startups (3 msgs)
                   Timing a Commercial Software Package
                Undocumented LOADALL instruction for 80286
                    Inexpensive Chinese Word Processor

New Uploads:
                  New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20 (2 msgs)
              Quick Reference list to SIMTEL20's Directories
                 QMODEM version 4.1B uploaded to SIMTEL20
      SIMRAZ13.ARC - Shorten/re-arrange SIMTEL index fields; w/TP src

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 19:04:36 pst
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: 3.3 -> 4.01 Conversion (Seagate 4096)

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL gt5302b%prism@gatech.edu

 >Is there any way to get DOS 4.01 to recognize a Seagate 80MB drive without
 >reformatting?  I'd like to be able to upgrade from DOS 3.3 quickly and
 >easily.  Thanks.

In general if you retain the 3.3 partitioning scheme, you can upgrade
directly to 4.01 without doing anything more than a normal DOS upgrade.

If you want the large disk capability of 4.01, then you will have to
completely clear your old hard disk. This includes removing all 3.3
partitions and replacing them with 4.01 partition or partitions and
reformating them. 4.01 FDISK will not touch 3.3 FDISK partitions so you
will have to use the 3.3 FDISK to remove the partition and then use the
4.01 FDISK to add in the new partitions. I have done this.  It is a lot of
work. Unless you need a large partition I do not recommend doing this.

Recognition of the Seagate 4096 is a function of the ROM BIOS and should
not be affected by the choice of DOS. If your current system under 3.3
recognizes the drive, you should have no problem with 4.01. The only
situation that may be a problem is if you have used some third party
scheme to get around the 32MB limit of 3.3.

Danny Low

------------------------------

Date: 26 December 1989 04:21 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Changing Commands

Glenn M. Brunette <sjuphil!gb032119@princeton.edu> was looking for a
program to allow him to change DOS commands. By "change commands" I assume
he means use a word other than the command's original name to invoke that
command. If this is what he's looking for, the answer is yes. A new name
given to a command is commonly called an alias in the Big Blue camp, and I
know of three programs that include aliases among their features.

One is Command Plus from ESP Software (213-390-7408). This is actually a
replacement for COMMAND.COM, DOS's own command processor. As such, it
enjoys all the flexibility of being "built into" the operating system. It
boasts a herd of other features, including command recall, command line
editing, regular expression file specs, a screen saver, a file viewer, an
enhanced batch language, enhancements to standard DOS commands, and the
addition of some completely new ones. Command Plus costs $80. For more
information, contact the manufacturer or refer to Byte magazine's review
of a slightly older version of the program in its May 1988 issue.

Another program similar to Command Plus is a shareware offering. 4DOS is
available from JP Software (617-646-3975) and costs $50 with a manual and
$35 without. Like Command Plus, 4DOS is also a replacement command
processor. In addition to aliases, the program sports on-line help (a plus
for beginners), command line editing, command recall, filename fill-in,
intelligent wildcards, an enhanced batch language, the ability to swap
itself into EMS memory, and other features. For more information, contact
the manufacturer or refer to PC Magazine's review of the program in its
May 16, 1989, issue.

PCED from Cove Software (also shareware) can do this kind of thing, too,
but I'm not familiar with that program. I believe it is a TSR, not a
replacement command processor.

I hope this information is useful.

Grant Hoover
University of Illinois at Chicago
Chicago, Illinois                                         .   .
Bitnet:      U26264@UICVM                                   .
Compuserve:  76370,314                                    \___/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 04:40:28 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: compress (v89 #121)

>but it does not seem to be able to decompress files that I get via ftp.  It
>does compress and decompress files that I give.

Are you sure you're doing a binary transfer all the way to your PC?  For
example, the compress program I've got on my PC will crash if I forget to
do "set transfer binary" when I use Kermit.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu

------------------------------

Date: 26 December 1989 01:22 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Controlling Office PC from Home

<LIANG%IPFWCVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu> wanted to know what
software would be needed to run a program in the PC at the office while
using the PC at home.

There is software for exactly this purpose. I have listed some below,
along with their prices, manufacturers, and the companies' phone numbers.
The prices quoted are based on my most recent information and are
estimated costs for all software components necessary to use the products.
(Some require more than one module purchased separately.)

    Carbon Copy Plus                    $390
    Microcom                            617-551-1999

    Close-Up                            $440
    Norton-Lambert                      805-964-6767

    Co/Session                          $249
    Triton Technologies                 201-855-9440

    Line Plus Master                    $200
    Concept Development Systems         404-434-4813

    PC Anywhere                         $99
    Dynamic Microprocessor Associates   516-736-0500

    Remote2                             $195
    DCA/Crosstalk Communications        404-998-3998

An antiquated but fairly complete review of these products appears on page
291 of PC Magazine's January 12, 1988, issue. Byte also reviewed Carbon
Copy Plus on page 180 of its December 1987 issue, but the version reviewed
is no longer the current one.

Date: 26 December 1989 00:45 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Hypercard/hypertext

<newstv1@carleton.ca> asked about hyper-whatever programs for the PC.

HyperPAD by Brightbill-Roberts (800-444-3490) offers some of the
functionality of the Mac's Hypercard. I have never used either program, so
I can't comment further. For more information, refer to PC Magazine's
short review on page 51 of the September 12, 1989 issue, or Byte
Magazine's more complete review on page 189 of the September 1989 issue.

Date: 26 December 1989 00:57 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: LINT Program

<silber%TAMCHEM.BITNET@ricecm1.rice.edu> (Steve Silber) was looking for a
LINT program that works with Microsoft C 5.1 source code. I've heard of
one program that might fit the bill. PC-lint from Gimpel Software
(215-584- 4261) costs $139, and the manufacturer claims it runs under
MS-DOS, but makes no reference to specific compilers in its ad. The
product comes with a 30 day money-back guarantee, and the folks at Gimpel
will probably be able to advise on matters of specific compilers.

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 10:18:33 CST
From: moore@ncsc.navy.mil (Moore)
Subject: Questions policy

It's distressing to learn that you filter questions from non-subscribers.

The very act of allowing a query/comment to appear in the newsletter
should imply that that question is of sufficient widespread interest to
appeal to the subscribers as well as to the originator of the question.
So what difference does it make whether the question came from a
subscriber or not?

If it belongs in the newsletter, put it there regardless of who it came
from (and yes, I always reply BOTH to the originator and the group, since
the newsletter is digested); if not, tell the user what newsgroup to send
it to!

Jim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 21:27:28 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Jim:

I don't remove ANYTHING from the Digest.  I do correct the grammer,
re-phrase questions so that they read better, et al,...  But...

Well, perhaps I'd better re-phrase that ANYTHING..

I do remove  messages that have ANYTHING to do with copy-protection in any
form and messages that are obvious 'commercial' messages (ie guy wrote
this neat program and wants to sell it.) that do NOT contain a disclaimer
spelling out what his connection with the product is.  If a message is
submitted that I think is questionable, I go and query the sender to find
out what he's trying to do.  Usually, I get back a message that provides
the info I need.  If no response if forthcoming, THEN the message is
discarded.  If a message is received that does not appear to have anything
to with the IBM PC, XT, AT, ... (and clones) I try and forward to an
appropriate list (with a copy to the sender) for action/response.

The reason I do this?  Because that is the way the charter was set up when
the whole thing started.  I can't afford to be partial.  We're using
government resources to publish the Digest.  As it is, the Digest barely
meets the intent of the charter.  (Supposed to be technical in nature (ie
hardware) but most discussions are about software...)

Sorry if you got the impression that I do remove things.  I have a master
file of addressees about 500 lines long.  One of these lines feeds BITNET,
another feeds USENET.  BITNET alone has over 9,800 subscribers.  I have no
idea how many on USENET get it..

With that in mind, I can't afford the time to scan messages looking to see
if a person is signed up to take the Digest.  It would appear that quite a
few don't (at least that's what their messages say when they get here.)

Ah-h-h- well, ...

Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 11:30:43 CST
From: convex!harper@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (David Harper)
Subject: Recording system startups

On 11 Dec in Digest V89 #121, Mike Bunnell <MJB8949@ritvax.bitnet> asked
about recording system start-ups...

>I'd like to set up a command or two in my autoexec file that will add the
>current time/date to an existing file (say, boot.dat).  [... text deleted]
>
>I'm not looking for elaborate security, the main reason for this is to
>track the number of power failures experienced by the system.   [...]

I saw your request for help in logging system startups in the digest
newsgroup today.  You have probably received a zillion replys by now but,
if not, here's another one.

What you are trying to do is fairly simple.  There is a way to do it using
the ANSI escape sequences (assuming you have ANSI.SYS loaded) but
unfortunately, the information on how to do this is at home and I am at
work right now.

However, if you are just looking for functionality and are not overly
interested in how pretty things look, then you can use the DOS commands
for DATE and TIME.  Both of these commands will print the current values
and then pause waiting for you to enter new values.  If you just enter a
carriage return the current values are kept.  So, the way to make this
useful in a batch file (such as autoexec.bat) is to create a file (ie:
dummy.txt) which consists of nothing more than a carriage return/line
feed.  This can be done with any editor.  Then put the following two
commands in your batch file:

           date < dummy.txt >> boot.dat
           time < dummy.txt >> boot.dat

The dummy.txt file will satisfy the need for a carriage return (so things
won't just hang waiting for keyboard input).  Also, make sure you use two
greater than signs (>) as this forces the output to be appended to the
boot.dat file.  If you use only a single greater than sign it will
overwrite the file with the new information and you will lose all previous
data.  Hope all this helps.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 03:44:21 +0100
From: aceverj@cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage.)
Subject: Recording System Start-up

In the Digest V89#121 Nutsy Fagen posed a question about auto- matically
having a system startup date and time written to a file, e.g. BOOT.DAT. In
DOS, you could do this fairly simple by including the following commands
in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

DATE < \BAT\CRLF.TXT >> \BAT\BOOT.DAT
TIME < \BAT\CRLF.TXT >> \BAT\BOOT.DAT

This assumes that you want BOOT.DAT in a BAT directory, and that this
directory contains a file CRLF.TXT, which consists of a carriage
return/linefeed pair (one blank line) and nothing else.  The results in
BOOT.DAT wouldn't be extremely elegant, but they would serve the purpose.
And you don't need anything but plain old DOS. BOOT.DAT could be made a
bit better looking by letting FIND eliminate the "Enter new time:" and
"Enter new date:" lines:

FIND/V "Enter" \BAT\BOOT.DAT > \BAT\BOOT.TMP
DEL \BAT\BOOT.DAT
REN \BAT\BOOT.TMP \BAT\BOOT.DAT

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 04:40:39 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: Recording system startups (v89 #121)

>I'd like to set up a command or two in my autoexec file that will add the
>current time/date to an existing file (say, boot.dat).

How about:

  date <cr >>boot.dat
  time <cr >>boot.dat

in AUTOEXEC.BAT at a point after the clock has been set?  CR would be a
one byte file containing a carraige return.

Date: 26 December 1989 22:41 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Timing a Commercial Software Package

Back in November I read that someone was looking for information on ways
to record how long a program runs on a PC. The WordPerfect Library from
WordPerfect Corp. includes, among other things, a menu system with this
ability. It stores the log information in WordPerfect merge format, which
is truly convenient if you can use WordPerfect to print the log. This
format is also easily converted to regular ASCII text if the need arises.

Date: Mon, 25 Dec 89 19:14:52 pst
From: David Alan Feustel <well!feustel@APPLE.COM>
Subject: Undocumented LOADALL instruction for 80286

I recommend strongly that you forget the LOADALL instruction and focus
instead on using the 386 with its virtual 86 mode of execution to run real
mode programs at the same time protected mode programs run.

219-482-9631
E-mail:  feustel@well.sf.ca.us
{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 16:28:16 EST
From: Dai.Feng@fas.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Inexpensive Chinese Word Processor

If you have been looking for an inexpensive Chinese word processor, here
is one for $49.95. This program works with your computer (compatible with
the IBM PC with CGA monitor, DOS 2.0 up and 256k) and printer (compatible
with IMV or Epson), and no added hardware, you can:

   * Create and print Chinese text
   * Intermix with English when desired
   * Store test on compter media
   * Review and edit text
   * Use program with no training (if you know Chinese)
   * Use program as a tool to learn Chinese or pin yin
   * work faster than writing by hand after a little practice
   * Choose from two print sizes. "

The printed chinese characters looks very nice, especially those from a 24
pin printer. Unfortunately, I can't show you here. But if you are
interested, contact Cybertex Inc. at

   Cybertex, Inc
   4005 W. 104th Terrace
   Overland Park, KS 66207

You can also call 1-800-633-1413 for information. Or you can send them a
check for 49.95 to get the program to see if its what you need.  If you
don't like it, send it back in 30 days and get your money back.

Dai

[Since a 'disclaimer' was missing, I asked him what his connection to
CyberTex was and received the following answer:]

I have no financial interest in Cybertex.  However, I AM related to the
author of the chinesewriter who showed me the program during a recent
visit. I have been looking for a chinese word processor for a while but
was never willing to sink $300 for something that I don't really have to
have. I suspect there are many people like me, hence the post.

For me, the program was very nice for writing letters. I have not been
using chinese for so long that I am having a hard time recalling the
chinese characters when writing in chinese and often end up spending too
much time checking the dictionary. Having a chinese word processor like
chinesewriter is a big help.

Dai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1989  17:02 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.catalog>
CUDM315.ARC     Colorado Utilities Disk Manager disk cataloger

pd1:<msdos.pcmag>
DIRMAG2.ARC     DIRMAGIC v2.0, upgraded DR/RN/CO from PC Mag.

pd1:<msdos.os2>
OS2KIT1.ARC     OS/2 utils for PKZ102-2.EXE (PKZIP for OS2)

pd1:<msdos.at>
ROM.ARC         Save AT and 386 CMOS data to file and restore

pd1:<msdos.starlink>
SLNK0901.ARC    Info about StarLink long-distance data service

pd2:<msdos2.telix>
QMM301.ARC      Powerful Qmail/PCBoard navigator for Telix

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1989  18:29 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1989  01:28 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick Reference list to SIMTEL20's Directories

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories as of
December 23, 1989 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ADA           CROSSASM      GIF           NETWORK       SPREADSHEET
AIJOURNAL     CROSSREF      GRAPH         OPUS          SPRINT
ALLCHARGE     DATABASE      GRAPHICS      OS2           SQ-USQ
APL           DBASE         HAMRADIO      PACKET        STARLINK
ARC-LBR       DDJMAG        HYPERTEXT     PASCAL        STARTER
ARCNET-PCIP   DESKACCESS    IRIT          PC-JR         STATISTICS
ASM-MAG       DESKJET       KA9Q-TCPIP    PCMAG         SURFMODL
ASMUTL        DESKPUB       KERMIT        PCPURSUIT     SWAP
AT            DESQVIEW      KEYBOARD      PCRESOURCE    SYSUTL
AUTOCAD       DIRUTL        LAN           PCTECH        TAXES
AWK           DISASM        LAPTOP        PGMUTL        TEX
BASIC         DSKUTL        LASER         PILOT         TROJAN-PRO
BATUTL        EDITOR        LISP          PLI           TURBO-C
BBS           EDUCATION     LOTUS123      PLOT          TURBOBAS
BBSLISTS      EEL           MAC           PREPROCESS    TURBOPAS
BORLAND       EGA           MAPPING       PRINTER       TXTUTL
BYTEMAG       EMULATORS     MATH          PRODIGY       UUCP
C             FILEDOCS      MAX           PROGJOURN     VENTURA
CAD           FILUTL        MEMACS        PROLOG        VGA
CALCULATOR    FINANCE       MENU          QBASIC        VOICE
CASE          FLOWCHART     MICROCORN     QPASCAL       VOICEMAIL
CATALOG       FORMGEN       MODULA2       RAMDISK       WORLDMAP
CIS           FORTH         MOUSE         RBBS-PC       X-10
CLIPPER       FORTRAN       MSJOURNAL     SCREEN        XLISP
CMPLNGMAG     FOSSIL        MSWINDOWS     SMALL-C       XPC
COMPATIBLES   FREEMACS      MUSIC         SMALLTALK     ZIP
COMPUTE-PC    GENIE         NCSATELNET    SNOBOL4       ZOO

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD2:<MSDOS2.x> directories as of
December 23, 1989 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

BIBLE         MODEM         PROCOMM       TAXES         XPC
FIDO          PIBTERM       QMODEM        TELIX         ZMODEM

See PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for details on
file directories and descriptions.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1989  17:00 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: QMODEM version 4.1B uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded QMODEM, version 4.1B, to SIMTEL20:

pd2:<msdos2.qmodem>
QM41B-1.ARC     Qmodem comm pgm v4.1B, readme & overlay, 1of5
QM41B-2.ARC     Qmodem comm pgm v4.1B, executable & help, 2of5
QM41B-3.ARC     Qmodem comm pgm v4.1B, utilities, 3of5
QM41B-4.ARC     Qmodem comm pgm v4.1B, documentation, 4of5
QM41B-5.ARC     Qmodem comm pgm v4.1B, tutorials, 5of5

This update was obtained directly from the author.

--Keith Petersen

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1989  10:02 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMRAZ13.ARC - Shorten/re-arrange SIMTEL index fields; w/TP src