Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/14/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 14 Jan 90       Volume 90 : Issue   2

Today's Editor:
           Gregory Hicks - Ventura, CA

Today's Topics:
                         Fortran for more than 640K
                        A Universal I/O Re-director?
                   Word Perfect Spanish Spelling Checker
                                  matlab
                             microsoft mouse
                    FCC and Modem Use Charges (Again!)
                         Recording system startups
                         Small Hardware Wish List
                               Unix for 386

Today's Queries:
                       Auto-sizing on a VGA monitor
               DOS 4.01 does not accept 2.nd HD partition
                       Kodak XL7700 Colour Printer
      MSC 5.1 BUGS ?? OR AL STEVE ERROR IN QUICK C TSR I/O PRG TECHN
                   Problem installing interface board
             VGA driver, PD1:<MSDOS.VGA>BANANOID.ARC Updates?

New programs:
                   Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 90 14:24:46 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Fortran for more than 640K

OS/2 runs on 80286 and 80386 systems.  Microsoft FORTRAN and Austec
(formerly Ryan-McFarland) Professional Fortran run under OS/2.   Once you
compile and link a program for OS/2, it will run on any 80286 or 80386
system running OS/2.  The user must run the program under OS/2

I believe that when a program is compiled using the Lahey 32-bit compiler,
the decision to run it on 80386 or 80286 computers must be made at link
time.  I do know that the associated operating system/ DOS extender comes
in two flavors: one for 80386 and one for 80286.  Once the program is
linked, the user runs it from DOS and (at least in theory) shouldn't need
to know a DOS extender is involved.

You might also consider two compilers that use the Phar Lap extender
(80386 only): SVS FORTRAN 386 and NDP FORTRAN 386.

I've used Fortran on many systems, but most of my experience is on IBM
mainframes.  I also evaluated several Fortran compilers for micros
(Absoft, DCM, Microsoft, IBM, IBM/Microsoft, IBM/Ryan-McFarland, Lahey,
Utah, Watcom).  Note the all-too-unfortunate distinction between using and
evaluating.  Also, I did all the evaluations 3 years ago.  No clear
winners.  I wrote my own benchmarks for integer, floating-point, and
input/output operations.  Microsoft generally produced the fastest code.
Watcom (WATFOR 77) had the nicest development environment.  IBM
Professional was solid.  Lahey "felt" (mostly subjective) the most
professional.

This year my colleague and I (paid work) ported a set of 5 large programs
(10-50 K lines each) to OS/2.  We and our management considered Unix,
OS/2, and DOS with extenders.  Unix was out because it is essentially
invisible in our clients' world.  DOS with extenders seemed like a kludge
(grammar?).  IBM and Microsoft have expressed strong commitments to OS/2.
No choice seemed great, and we saw no real data to help us choose.  We
chose Microsoft FORTRAN 5.1 rather than IBM/Ryan-McFarland Professional
Fortran because the only review we found said the latter could not support
programs larger than 8MBytes.

Now that I've been USING Microsoft FORTRAN 5.1 under OS/2 for several
months, I must say I hope someone can do better.  The good news is that
our programs work, and that is clearly the most important consideration.
However, I find both OS/2 and Microsoft FORTRAN full of of bugs,
"features", and inconsistencies.  None is major by itself, but the
combination meant we needed several weeks (4-8) to get OS/2 running.
Start with a LARGE number of options which are not well documentated and
interact in surprising (at least to me) ways.  Then add small
inconsistencies like the fact that the batch statement if exist *. goto
label behaves differently in protected mode and real mode.  The compiler
options are in mixed case (!), but we quickly hid them in batch files.
The compiler does not generate a cross-reference listing; it can output a
list of variables, but only as a memory map which lists them by location.
My list of gripes is long, and all are approximately as important.  I
don't like being a grouchy nit-picker, but that's the way OS/2 and
Microsoft FORTRAN make me feel.

For my own use at home, I just bought Lahey Personal Fortran, so now you
know where I put my own money.  I have only compiled two programs, but it
works as expected, the options are clear, and it produces an excellent
cross-reference.  (At work, I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80 with 12MB memory,
an 80387 math co-processor, and a 314 MB hard drive; at home, I have a
Data General DG/One Model 1 with 512KB memory, NO math co-processor, and 2
720KB floppies.)

I don't think I can convince management to get a copy of the Lahey 32-bit
compiler and the extender that goes with it, so I am trying to encourage
someone else to try them.

Byington, Carl. 1988. "New Power for FORTRAN". BYTE (April 1988)

Voglewede, John. 1988. "FORTRAN meets OS/2". PC Tech Journal (?)

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jan 90 17:07:00 EST
From: "Damon Kelley; (RJE)" <damon@umbc2.umbc.edu>
Subject: I'm looking for an universal i/o redirector

	Over the last few months, I have seen a lot of queries on re-direction
of input/output to various devices on the computer...you'd figure that
someone out there could have seen this problem and wrote a flexible
re-director TSR program.  Does anyone know whether such a program exists
(although the chances are VERY slim)?

	Oh, and does anyone know of a program that can redirect output from
COM1 to COM3 or redefine COM1 as COM3, in both cases temporarily?   It
would preferably be a TSR...

Damon (@umbc.bitnet) (@umbc2.umbc.edu) (...make!a!good!guess@uucp.bridge)

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  5 Jan 90 09:03 EST
From: HOWARD <FAC_COHEN%JMUVAX1.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Word Perfect Spanish Spelling Checker

Word Perfect has a very good Spanish spelling checker.  It has about 83000
words.  I have added about 3000 words to it over the years.  You may find
something more complete (130,000 words or so), but the Word Perfect
version does a good job.

Word Perfect does a very good job.  It has about 83,000 words.  I have
added about 3000 more words to it over the years.  You may find something
more complete (130,000 words or so), but the Word Perfect version does a
very good job.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 90 17:20 EST
From: NNUUURRRR'C'C <DWRST@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: matlab

Mike O'Corrall inquired about a program that will do polynomial fits to
data.  MATLAB (Math Works, Inc. 20 North Main St., Suite 250, Sherborn, MA
01770 (617)653-1415) will do the trick and more.  It's a matrix-oriented
program that is also good for grapghs, contour plots, 3-d mesh plots etc.
It also has it's own batch file language and can work with C and FORTRAN
code.  It may be what you need.

Rich Schuerger @ University of Pittsburgh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 10:25:02 MST
From: Shap Wolf <IACWSW%ASUACAD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: microsoft mouse

re: request more mouse reactions

I use the new (400 dpi) MS mouse and love it. Far superior to the older
(200 dp i) version. This is true both on 1280x1024 and 640x480 monitors I
use. I used the logitech mouse several years ago-had no problems, but new
shape of MS product is really nice. Now that L. makes the same shape, I
don't know how much difference there is. L. also makes high-res
version-recommend you get this no matter which you buy.

Just got 5.1, and the new MS mouse works fine with the menus, although I
haven't found much reason to use them.

As far as reviews, the trade press has waxed ecstatic over the new MS.

-- W. Shapard Wolf, Jr.      Survey Research Laboratory (VSO-2101)
-- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-2101  602/965-5000
-- iacwsw@asuacad.bitnet     iacwsw@asuvm.inre.asu.edu
Acknowledge-To: <IACWSW@ASUACAD>

------------------------------

Date: 8 January 1990 14:27:43 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: FCC and Modem Use Charges (Again!)

I found this in my E-mail and thought I'de pass on.

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 16:47:37 EST
From: Ted Charrette <charrett@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: Something that passed by by desk

     Two years ago the FCC tried and (with your help and letters of
protest) failed to institute regulations that would impose additional
costs on modem users for data communications.

[If anyone in the US, or any where else for that matter, would like the
complete text of this message, drop me a note.  I don't think a Digest
with world-wide distribution is the place for messages regarding things of
concern to US users only.]

     Now, they are at it again.  A new regulation that the FCC is quietly
working on will directly affect you as the user of a computer and modem.
[Remaining text deleted...]

------------------------------

Date: Fri Jan  5 11:43:18 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Recording system startups

> I'd like to set up a command or two in my autoexec file that will add the
> current time/date to an existing file (say, boot.dat).  The system

The commands
	date >>boot.dat <line.dat
	time >>boot.dat <line.dat

will do that, plus some other junk.  "line.dat" should contain a single
blank line (CR-LF) to satisfy the new time/date request.

Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds.ac.uk
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!lena!mike or mike@lena.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 90 15:56:22 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Small Hardware Wish List

I've thought of a few hardware modifications that I think would be easy to
implement, but would help users greatly.  I'm curious why they are rarely
or not available.  I suspect that home-brew solutions are possible, but
have no interest in them personally.

Why are reset buttons found only on some systems?  I know they work under
at least some conditions when ctl-alt-del does not.  I assume pressing a
reset button stresses hardware less than turning the power on and off.
Anyone have more to add regarding their availability and their use when
they are available?

Why do NO systems have hardware volume controls for speakers?  I've seen
descriptions of at least a few with on/off switches.  Macintosh computers
provide software control.  I would like a knob.

How about a write-protect switch for a hard disk?  Such a switch would
reduce concern about viruses, etc.   I would really like to put my major
applications (operating system, editor, compiler, etc.) on a small hard
drive with such a switch.   Write-protect tabs on removable disks are a
viable alternative, but not quite so convenient.  As a slightly less
viable wish, I'ld really like to see the small disk implemented in
battery-backed RAM; even slow (inexpensive) RAM would help.

------------------------------

Date: Fri Jan  5 12:01:09 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Unix for 386

You're not thinking of Minix are you?  This is not PD, though it's quite
cheap.

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 90 16:21:40 EST
From: Glenn Shorrock <R23754%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Auto-sizing on a VGA monitor

My Logitech multisync monitor (similar to a Relisys multisync) doesn't
have vertical auto-sizing in VGA mode.  I have to manually adjust the
vertical size control everytime my VGA Wonder video board changes graphics
modes.  Otherwise, the EGA output is squished and the super-VGA output
runs off the top and bottom of the screen.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket device that will give me auto-sizing?
In particular, since the Logitech monitor does have auto-sizing when used
with an EGA board, is it possible to convert the VGA auto-sizing signal
from my video board into an EGA auto-sizing signal?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn Shorrock
R23754@UQAM.bitnet
shorrock@mig750.uqam.ca

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 90 12:58 CET
From: Norbert Sommer <VAL044%DD0RUD81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: DOS 4.01 does not accept 2.nd HD partition

System: 286 with Seagate 251 (2 Partitions c:, d:).  It works fine with
DOS 3.3, booting from disk or HD.  Booting PCDOS 4.01 from disk, it does
not accept the 2.nd HD partion.  The error message 'unknown data medium'
(originally in german) is not listed in the guides.

Any ideas of workarounds without repartitioning the HD with DOS4.01 FDISK?

Norbert Sommer
Institut fuer Angewandte Physik
Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf
FRG

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 21:48:08 PST
From: William_Lee@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Kodak XL7700 Colour Printer

 A friend of mine is looking into getting the Kodak XL7700 colour printer.
I've seen output from this and they look gorgeous.  Does anyone have any
experience/advice regarding the use of this printer with AT- and 80386
compatibles?

 Does anyone have a printer driver for it?

 Thanks in advance,
 William.
 email:  William_Lee@mtsg.ubc.ca (Internet)
      or userWLEE@ubcmtsg        (BITNET)
 Tel:    (604) 228-2409
 Fax:    (604) 228-5116

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 20:14:54 SST
From: Luther Chan <CCECHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MSC 5.1 BUGS ?? OR AL STEVE ERROR IN QUICK C TSR I/O PRG TECHN

Hi! Happy New Year!

If anyone know of any MSC 5.0/1, Quick C bugs I hope you will send me a
list of the bugs and solution.  The following is a program I tried from
the book by AL STEVENS called "Qick C memory resident utilities, screen
i/o, and programming techniques".

    /*---- vidpoke.c ----*\
    #include dos.h
    #define VSEG 0xb800
    char vdata (. .) = " I remember Clifford ";  /* (..) square bracket*/
    unsign far *ip;       /* note ANSI stuff deleted, it was worse */
    main() {
      char *vp;
      int v;

      FP_SEG(ip)=VSEG;
      for(v=0,vp=vdata; *vp; v +=2, vp++){
         FP_OFF(ip) = v;
         *ip = 0x700 : *vp;
        /* the following line was added to make it stop */
        if (*vp =='\0') break;
        }
     } /* end main */

 The original version gave me a runtime error in both quick C and MSC 5.1.
This modified version gives me nothing but a blank line.

 With codeview, I found that the program did not check the null at the end
of the string, it was skipped by the counter. The pointer never reached
the null character. Actually the if statement added there also did not
stop it.  I did not know why it stop in this case.

All comment and suggestion are welcome. The book ISDN 981-3091-31-2.

Luther Chan Y.W.
COMPUTER CENTRE Systems Programmer
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
E-MAIL: CCECHAN@NUSVM.BITNET
10  KENT RIDGE CRESENT
SINGAPORE 0511

| +++ DISCLAIMER: Whatever express here is my personal opinion, I am not
in a position to speak for my organization or other individual.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 90 13:47 EST
From: <VFM702%SCRANTON.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Problem installing interface board

We are trying to install a board to interface an old IBM PC Portable
(which has been upgraded to 640K and a 20 Meg hard disk) to a Skinner Box.
In order to set the switches on the board, a BASIC program must be run
which prints "the lower boundary of all blocks of 17 contiguous I/O
addresses which are available."

The program, which is printed in the manual is:

10 CLS:KEY OFF
20 FOR I%=&H80 TO &H380 STEP 16
30 FOR J%=1 TO 17
40 X=INP(I%+J%)
50 IF X<>255 THEN 90
60 NEXT J%
70 IF HEX$(I%)="1F0" OR HEX$(I%)="200" THEN 90
80 PRINT USING "\   \";HEX$(I%)
90 NEXT I%

The program is to be run without the interface board installed in the
computer.  Can someone tell me WHY and HOW it does what it does?  Also, it
works (i.e. it finds the addresses) on any system we throw it at--PC, XT,
PS/2 Models 30, 30 286, 50 Z, 70, and also on a plain vanilla PC Portable.
However, it finds no addresses on the PC Portable with 640K and hard disk.
Any ideas why?  Thanks in advance for any information.

Vince Merkel
University of Scranton
Linden St. & Monroe Ave.
Scranton, PA  18510
717-961-7637
VFM702@SCRANTON.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 05:33:27 EST
From: Don Mac Phee <GKZ101%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: VGA driver, PD1:<MSDOS.VGA>BANANOID.ARC Updates?

    Does anyone know of a software driver that would allow a stock PS/2 to
emulate a SuperVGA board? (Hi Res 256 color is what I'm looking for.)

    The equipment is an IBM ps2 Mod 50z. Stock.

    On an unrelated note, does anyone know of an update to BANANOID in the
PD1:<MSDOS.VGA> directory on Simtel20.arpa? Maybe an address for the
author (Bitnet style.)

    Many thanks in advance.

Don Mac Phee                   'May you lead interesting lives.'
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Don Mac Phee    |  Sr. Programming Assistant,    University of RI |
| P.O. Box 161    |  IBM Student Sales Representitive,  Univ. of RI |
| E. Greenwich    |  Electrical Engineering Major, University of RI |
| Rhode Island USA|  Resource Chairman,   Gaming Club,  Univ. of RI |
| Zip: 02818-0161 |  {All these hats to fit on one button head!}    |
+-----------------+-----+-------------------------------------------+
| Gkz101@Uriacc.Bitnet  | Xerox is sues Macintosh for copying.      |
| Gkz101@Uriacc.Uri.Edu | Hmm....                                   |
+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1990  17:08 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
WAF160.ARC      Waffle BBS v1.60, with UUCP mail & Usenet news

pd1:<msdos.bbslists>
USBBS68.ARC     Darwin's nationwide IBM BBS listing: 01/01/90

pd1:<msdos.c>
PCC12C.ARC      Personal C compiler.  Fully functional, C WARE

pd1:<msdos.compatibles>
Z404MPSC.ARC    Zenith COM3 port driver fix for gov't Z-248

pd1:<msdos.dbase>
POPDBF35.ARC    TSR: Popup view, edit, print, read dBASE files

pd1:<msdos.deskaccess>
PW22.ARC        PC Window v2.2: Small shareware SideKick clone

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
CSAP29.ARC      Sorts disk directory, removes deleted entries
CUDUP14.ARC     Finds duplicate files, even in archives
WHERE34.ARC     Fast file & ARC/ZIP/LZH/ZOO/PAK/PKA searcher

pd1:<msdos.editor>
QASCII.ARC      Internal patch & ASCII table for QEdit v2.08+

pd1:<msdos.pgmutl>
MAKEOBJ.ARC     Cvt data file to OBJ for linking to executable
OBJSC101.ARC    Scans MS .OBJ files, reports types of records

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
SYSID47.ARC     16+ pages of system info - very good

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
AIDSTECH.ARC    Technical info on PC Cyborg AIDS disk Trojan

pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>
RESLB201.ARC    Function library for Turbo-C to make TSRs

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
CRCASM.ARC      ASM CRC calculation code w/TurboPas interfaces

pd1:<msdos.zip>
ZFV100.ARC      ZIP format view - technical ZIP file info

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------