Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/14/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 14 Jan 90       Volume 90 : Issue   2

Today's Editor:
           Gregory Hicks - Ventura, CA

Today's Topics:

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: 10 Jan 90 16:22:14 GMT
From: amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (amos shapira)
Subject: compress

Hello,

<TJT7850%TAMVENUS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> writes:

>        Can anyone recommend an executable compress (decompress).  I tried
>to complie u16.c (or something like that) but it does not seem to be able
>to decompress files that I get via ftp.  It does compress and decompress
>files that I give.  If anyone can send these (or tell me where an
>executable is) it would be apreciated.

	1. The fact that you have got the files via ftp makes me suspect that
you didn't use binary mode when you transfered the files, this means 8th
bit truncation (or such a nesty thing). Try to type "binary" before
transferring the files. [or use the command "QUOTE TYPE 8 L" if your
system doesn't support the TENEX command  ...  Should do the same thing.]

	2. About u16 (yes, that's the correct name), as far as I know it
should work perfectly, but I have just got another porting of the UNIX(tm)
compress program to PC (called, how original, compress, version 4.1). I
made some change which allowed it to work right, don't remember what, and
created version 4.2 (didn't publish this). If you can't get a workable
version of it then I'll be happy to try to mail it to you (or post it to
the net, if there will be interest) (my mail account is a bit limited).

>                                          Thanx

You're welcome,
- Amos Shapira

amoss@batata.bitnet
amoss@batata.huji.ac.il

------------------------------

Date: 8 January 1990 15:26 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Disassemblers

On December 14, 1989, Don Kazem
<DKAZEM%MAS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu> was looking for disassemblers.

I wasn't sure if he wanted specific recommendations or he was just having
trouble finding such a product at all. I can't specifically recommend any
disassemblers, but here's a list of the ones I'm aware of:

Product                                          Company
-------                                          -------

Advantage Disassembler                           Lifeboat Associates
DOS*DOC                                          R.J. Swantek & Associates
Soft-X-plore                                     R.J. Swantek & Associates
Sourcer                                          V Communications

I've heard good things about Sourcer, but I haven't used any of them
myself.

Grant Hoover
University of Illinois at Chicago
Chicago, Illinois                                         .   .
Bitnet:      U26264@UICVM                                   .
Compuserve:  76370,314                                    \___/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 90 16:21:30 O
From: Avi Susswein <P88031%BARILVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: ems problem

I recently bought a motherboard based on the Chips and Technologies 286
Neat Chipset. The board came without an EMS driver. The dealer cannot
supply one.  How do I activate LIM 4.0 on this board, without emulation?

                                                           Thank you.

                                                               Avy

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 09 Jan 90 15:13:07 TUR
From:         Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN>
Subject:      3 1/2 inch drive

I just got a 3 1/2 inch drive, which has a dip switch for 'high density'
since mine is an XT, I left it at 'low density'.. however,

I am unable to get DOS (3.3) to realize that this is a 31/2 drive, and
insists on formatting it 40 tracks.. (I tried both FORMAT and FORMAT /4)

Can someone:
  1) give me the right CONFIG.SYS line (DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS  ...)
     that would enable me to format it for 720K?  (I think that's what
     I need, anyway)

  2) Can I go over 720K with this drive? (1.2M, 1.4M? 32M? :)
     How can I tell DOS about that?

Thanks in advance, -turgut

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 90 10:33:52 TUR
From:         Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN>
Subject:      Help on Paelit VGA Card needed

Hi - I am the proud <new> owner of Paelit VGA card (uses Trident Chip), but
having trouble displaying anything in it's 'super-vga' modes: 5C and 5D.
It seems that the screen address mechanism must be different in these modes.
I tried PD:<MSDOS.VGA>VGA.C which shows how to change modes, write dots, etc,
on a Paradise card, and it fails. Other utilities like VUGIF.EXE also fail
to display anything in these modes.

Does anyone know if it takes something special to access these modes (I think
640x400x256 cols, 640x480x256 cols).. Thanks a lot..   -turgut

------------------------------

From: molliet@elde.epfl.ch
Date: 10 Jan 90 17:12 +0100
Subject: ESDI WD1007A-WA4 Controllers on Apollo Workstations

After an upgrade of Apollo workstations, we have several HD left.

These are Micropolis 13x5 ESDI HD type (type given by SpeedStor utility).
We have ESDI WD1007A-WA4 controllers from Western Digital for those drives.

Now the problem:

We have tried to install these drives into HP Vectra Pc's (RS/20 et RS/16).
We were absolutely unable to make those drives work. Even a low level format
is impossible because the HP setup program doesn't recongnize this HD type.

Is there any other way to make those drives known to the system (device drivers
or any other trick).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Philippe Molliet
Electrical Dpt
Swiss Institute of Technology at Lausanne

E-MAIL: molliet@elde.epfl.ch

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 09:15 MET
From: "Arnoud ten Cate, CABO Wageningen" <TENCATE%AGRB01@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #125

BUG IN MICROSOFT FORTRAN COMPILER V5.0
> In addition, if a user finds a new unique and verifyable bug in the
> compiler, that user is eligible for a free upgrade to the next version of
> Microsoft C.  For a bug to be verifyable, we need the source, compile
> options and complete description of host environment to reproduce the
> problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Todd Warren
> Program Manager-Microsoft C

I have foun a rather annoying error in the Microsoft FORTRAN v5.0
compiler.
According to ANSI FORTRAN one can begin a comment line either with 'C'
or with '*'. But if one tries to use '*' in the beginning of a comment
line and then use the compiler (FL) with the '/4Ys' switch, the
following error massage appears:
<filename><line number> : error F2037: illegal label field

In case Microsoft wants to send me a free update:
J.A. ten Cate
Centre for Agrobiological Research
P.O. Box 14
6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
bitnet: TENCATE@HWALHW50.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 8 January 1990 15:39 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Interrupt information

On December 16, 1989, Baruch Even <NYEVENBA@WEIZMANN> was looking for
hardware interrupt information.

"The New Peter Norton Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC & PS/2" by Peter
Norton and Richard Wilson (published by Microsoft Press) contains a fairly
complete descriptive listing of the interrupts. "Peter Norton's Assembly
Language Book for the IBM PC" by Peter Norton and John Socha (published by
Brady) contains some limited interrupt information, but also offers a more
tutorial style for beginners. "The MS-DOS Encyclopedia" edited by Ray
Duncan (published by Microsoft Press) offers some hardware interrupt
information and lots of other things. It also cures insomnia.

I recommend all three.

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 23:36 EST
From: EDGINGTC%WABASH.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: Mail to Compuserve

Could someone please tell me how to send mail to compuserve.

Thanks,
Chris Edgington
edgingtc@wabash

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 05:47:47 EDT
From: "Terje Thoegersen" <THOGER@NORUNIT.runit.sintef.no>
Subject: Miniscribe 80SC hardcard

Hi !
I'm trying to persuade two 20 MB harddisks controlled by a WD ST506 MFM
controller to work with a Miniscribe 80SC Hardcard. (a 32 MB Minscribe 8438
dangling from a 8-bit RLL controller)

The two MFM's are both configured as Drive Select 1, the primary beeing
chosen by a split and twisted cable. The HardCard has previously been used
as a 'D:'-drive in an AT that had another HardCard as 'C:'.

The problem is that no matter how I set the jumpers on the hardcard, the
disk is not recognized by the system. It just appears at a sort of device
driver, that is "Not Ready" or something in that order. (Norton Disk Doctor
seems to think it's a WORM-drive without a cartridge in it)

Is it impossible to have two HD's plus a hardcard? Is it impossible to have
both RLL and MFM controllers in the same computer?

The hardcard worked when i tried it in a XT with only one HD.

System : AT compatible, expanded + extended memory, 2 MFM HD's, 2 1.2 MB FD's

Help !

Thanks in advance,

    -Terje

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1990  00:22 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New interrupt list uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 09:32:41 CDT
From: Brian Piersel <SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: TeX/LaTeX files

I just downloaded SB29TEX.ARC from SIMTEL20. I realize that I need
some other files, such as a printer driver. I have an Epson LQ-500
(24-pin). Is there a driver for this printer? I looked on SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU,
but don't know what files to get for sure. Any suggestions?

|  Brian Piersel                               |
| BITNET:  SPBK09@SDNET                        |
| INTERNET:  SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU |
| IBM = Itty Bitty Machine                     |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 05:15:18 EDT
From: "Terje Thoegersen" <THOGER@NORUNIT.runit.sintef.no>
Subject: Unisys pw2 500 AT-compatible

Hello out there !

Would someone out there that owns an Unisys pw2 500 AT-compatible and
don't mind answering a few questions about it, please contact me?

(I've recently bought one, but courtesy of the Norwegian Mail, all manuals
were lost en route from the previous owner to me...)

Thanks in advance,

 -Terje

thoger@norunit.bitnet
27922 at ruve.runit.sintef.no

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1990  11:45:45 EDT
From: FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu    (J. Feustle)
Subject: Ventura to a Laserwriter via Appletalk and a PC-Talk Card

Does any one know of a printer driver or utility program that will allow
one to print directly from Ventura to an Apple Laserwriter via AppleTalk
and a PC-talk Card? Page Maker has a nice utility that allows it to go
directly to the printer via the PC-talk Card and I'm hoping to find a
similar one for Ventura.

Joe Feustle
FAC0395@UOFT01.BITNET

P.S. many thanks to all who responded to my plea for help with the demon-
possessed parallel port and printer. I opted to buy a cheap second port
and redirect all my stuff to LPT-2.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 90 21:19:01 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: WordPerfect and the Toshiba T3200 Problems

>I have a problem with Word Perfect on my Toshiba T3200. I can only get
>boldface text on the screen (a type which I dislike and which makes the
>text hard to read).

Have you used WP's screen configuration choices?  I've not done it on a T3200,
but on a T1100+ you can get the narrow characters by changing the "color" of
regular text in the WP configuration.  Going from memory:  unless somebody has
already changed the defaults, you can get what you want by interchanging the
selections for "regular" and "bold" text.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 06:52:35 CST
From: moore@ncsc.navy.mil (Moore)
Subject: Works printer drivers

Sorry for the re-post, but my system lost its DDN link for three weeks last
month:

Does anyone have the HP DeskJet PLUS and/or PostScript printer drivers for the
new Microsoft Works (Version 2)?  Their packaging boasts of supporting over
200 printers, but, guess what?  You gotta send in for the majority of them!!

Thanks for any help.

Jim
moore@NCSC.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: 6 January 90, 17:33:47 CST
From: ~Elias Saab" <MATHES%UMCVMB.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: RAM printer spooler for PS/2

Does anybody know of a good ram printer spooler that can use extended or
expanded memory on the PS/2. I tried the AST SUPERSPL ver 1.30 . It did not
really work. Please send information
To:
Elias Saab
MATHES@UMCVMB.BITNET or
MATHES@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU
 I will summarize all the responses for this bulletin board.
Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 90 14:39:02 MST
From: Peter Brantley <BRANTLEP%ARIZVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MicroTerm ERGO 201 Terminals info desired

Hello.  I have recently started a project which previously utilized
Microterm Ergo 201 terminals emulating the ACT-5A.  I would appreciate
any information about this terminal type.  I have documentation, but
I am converting to PC terminals, and I need to provide emulation
services under DOS.  If anyone knows of commercial software which
can emulate the ACT-5A, please send information directly to me.
I would also be interested in low level C support routines for
providing emulation services through device drivers emulating
serial ports.  Thanks.

 Peter Brantley
 Department of Sociology   ||  Bitnet    Brantlep at Arizvm1
 Social Sciences Building  ||  Internet  Brantlep at Arizvm1.Ccit.Arizona.Edu
 University of Arizona     ||  ICBMnet   Longitude 110W 057, Latitude 032N 014
 Tucson, AZ  85721         ||  ATTnet    (602) 624-2257

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1990  22:02 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
NETSCN54.ARC    Network compatible - scan for 60 viruses, v54
SCANRS54.ARC    Resident virus infection prevention program
SCANV54.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 60 viruses

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
SHEZ52.ARC      Shell for archive manipulation, w/virus check

pd1:<msdos.gif>
VPIC23.ARC      GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convert, v2.3

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
SVALIAS.ARC     Saves 4DOS aliases in a file for later use

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
SUPK412.ARC     X/J/WX/K9X modem and Super8K transfer protocol

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------