Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/19/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 18 Jan 90       Volume 90 : Issue   4

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                 accessing MS bug lists from internet
                     Address for Golden Software
                    Advice wanted on VGA monitors
                   Changing Kermit Escape Character
                        COMPRESSED FILE FORMAT
                   Controlling Office PC From Home
                           EasyCase Bugs??
          Getting to CompuServe from Holland - some replies
                                 ICCI
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #121
                 Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #126 (2 msgs)
              Recording system startups - a neat solution
                      SURFER Contouring Package
                          Timing Program Use
                       X/Y/ZModem Under VM/CMS

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  DDC is not a free
system but the hourly cost is only 17 cents.  It's also accessable on
Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 15:29 CET
From: Norbert Sommer <VAL044%DD0RUD81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: accessing MS bug lists from internet

> Microsoft posts the bug lists for the optimizing compiler on the
>compuserve and GEnie networks on our appropiate forums.

Also the best program has some bugs. How to get the bug lists for
Microsoft products (WORD, C, DOS)? Is there any Bitnet/Internet node?

Norbert Sommer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 16:00:27 MST
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: Address for Golden Software

Golden Software, Inc.
809 14th Street
P.O. Box 281
Golden, COLORADO  (not CALIFORNIA)
80402-0281 USA

Voice:  1-800-972-1021 or 1-303-279-1021
Fax:    1-303-279-0909

Vendors/developers for Grapher (2D) and Surfer (3D)

For reviews of Scientific Graphics Software, including Grapher and Surfer,
see PC Magzine 8.5 (March 14, 1989).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 22:00:49 CDT
From: Brian Piersel <SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Advice wanted on VGA monitors

I have a Packard Bell AXCEL V computer, which has a 16-bit VGA on the
motherboard. This appears to be a Paradise VGA. I am considering
purchasing a VGA monitor (I currently have a Hercules compatible card and
monitor). I'm a bit confused about the different types of monitors
available. Standard VGA and multi-sync seem to be the two main types.  As
far as I can tell, the multi-sync will provide me with one additional
graphics mode: 600x800, 16 colors. I assume that all the other modes will
work with a standard VGA monitor. Is this correct? Any advice on the type
of monitor to get would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

|  Brian Piersel                               |
| BITNET:  SPBK09@SDNET                        |
| INTERNET:  SPBK09%SDNET.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU |

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jan 90 22:49:00 EST
From: "LTC ROBERT LOWE-CSD" <lowe@westpoint-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: Changing Kermit Escape Character

Recently, we upgraded the version of MS-DOS kermit to 2.32A for several
users.  These users were using version 2.29b and an escape character of
'\'.  When kermit was upgraded to 2.30, a major change was made in the
method of defining (SET KEY) keys, where the '\' was used in the
definition of those keys.

Problem -- Users do not really want to learn a new escape sequence.  New
version of kermit does not allow '\' as the escape character.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Robert S. Lowe
Director, Computer Systems Division
DOIM, US Military Academy

     lowe@westpoint-emh1.army.mil      (914) 938-4311

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 13:36:33 GMT
From: MCGDRKG%CMS.MANCHESTER-COMPUTING-CENTRE.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: COMPRESSED FILE FORMAT

I have noted  that there has been some correspondence  recently concerning
the compressed file  format. I have  not been  able to solve  the problem
so  I am leaving it open to other members of  the usergroup. The problem
is as follows;

  I want to be able to obtain files that are in the compressed format,
download them to my IBM compatible PC and  finally decompress them into a
readable text format.  That is  the basis of  the problem, but also
several questions  are raised;

    1) The files  have been compressed  with a Unix  compress-compatible
prog.  ie filename.TXT-Z, in  the original format before  compression I
assume that they are ASCII text files? In compressed form should they be
FTP`d as an ordinary 8 bit binary file?

    2) If I can  successfully download the compressed files to  our local
host machine (AMDAHL  5890 - 300,  VM/CMS domain)  how can I  decompress
the files  into readable  text?  I do  not have  access  to UNIX
machines.

    3) Alternatively if  I can successfully  download the compressed
files to my PC is  there a shareware program available that  will
decompress the files? Of course it must run under MSDOS.

If anyone can offer  a solution I would be pleased to hear  from them and
will forward all comments etc. to the digest.

                 Bob.Gowans

JANET:       R.Gowans@uk.ac.MCC
Internet:    R.Gowans%MCC.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu     Dept Civil Eng,
EARN/BITNET: R.Gowans%MCC.ac.uk@UKACRL              U.M.I.S.T,
UUCP:        ...!ukc!umist!R.Gowans                 Sackville Street,
                                                    Manchester.
FAX:         [044 61  | 061] 200-4016               M60 1QD.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jan 90 10:21:00 EDT
From: "CMSGT LARRY KELLY" <kellyl@gw2.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Controlling Office PC From Home

<LIANG%IPFWCVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> was asking about remote
control of his office PC from home...

I use PC Anywhere , about $100.00, routinely and it works very well.  You
can have a table of users with individuals passwords, supports file
transfers, co-pilot mode, will do a remote re-boot, conversation mode
(split screen),selectable printing ( remote or host )... lots of good
stuff. I use it to access a NOVELL network if that's important to you.

I also saw a program in a recent PC MAG ( sorry don't remember the issue
but its VERY recent ) called PCREMOTE.  One of the guys in the office was
using it and it seems to work OK.  Of course it doesn't have any whistles
and bells and doesn't do file transfers, but the price was right.  You can
download it from PC MAGNET.  I didn't check to see if anyone has uploaded
it to SIMTEL20 but you might look there first.

Larry Kelly
Disclaimer:  I have no relation to any company producing the software
mentioned above.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 19:48 U
From: <ECSYIP%NTIVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EasyCase Bugs??

Hi,
        I have downloaded EasyCase from pd:<msdos.case>EZCASE15.arc I
encountered three problem while using it,

        (1) the pop-up menus appears to be scrambled at times.  This
occurs intermittently.  Though you can't make sense of the words, you can
still activate the commands by bringing the mouse to the same location.

        (2) when I tried to print out onto an EPSON FX-1000, garbage is
printed instead.  I didn't try on other printers.

        (3) if I load in a chart while in the running the program, at ZOOM
factor = 1, I wouldn't be able to see labels.  At Zoom factor = 2 & 4 the
labels re-appear.  The problem did not occur if I load the charts when I
first run the program... i.e. typing

                     C:\>easycase \easycase xxxx.trg

        Would appreciate it if someone out there can let me know how to
fix this.  Or can I contact Evergreen CASE Tools, 11025 164th Ave NE
Redmond, over BITNET???

        I haven't register as a user and  at this rate I wouldn't want to
register until the problem is fixed.

Thanks and regards,

CS
ECSYIP@NTIVAX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  4 Jan 90 16:53:04 MET
From: ACEVERJ%HUTRUU0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Getting to CompuServe from Holland - some replies

Quite a while ago, I posted a question about getting to CompuServe from
Holland. More specifically, I was interested in obtaining GIF pictures,
and thought that accessing CompuServe would be the best way to get at 'em.
As for contacting CompuServe from Holland, there seem to be two ways to
go:

- contact the CompuServe Customer Service at Bitnet-address
70006.101@compuserve.com  and ask for information;

- or contact the PTT: P.O.Box 30000, 2500 GA  Den Haag, Holland. They
offer a X.25-service, DATANET-1, which will cost you quite a nice little
sum if you want to use it.

Thanks to the people who responded!

By the way - I've discovered a rather better (and *cheaper*) way of
accessing GIF files and scores of other things ... recently, my site got
FTP possibilities - man, THAT makes a difference. IF your site makes that
possible, you might take a look at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.  135.4).
They keep a mirror image of Simtel's MSDOS directories in /mirrors/msdos,
as well as scores of GIF pictures in /graph/gif.  If your site doesn't
have FTP capability, you might still be helped by BITFTP@PUCC. You can
send them FTP-commands for a particular server, PUCC will carry out your
commands and send you the files you requested.  Note, however: they only
send files in NETDATA format, which seems useful to IBM users only. For
more information, email a message to BITFTP@PUCC with the line HELP.

Regards,
Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 90 16:00 EST
From: MCCONNAUGHEY%NIEHS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #121

re SURFER by Golden Software:
address is PO Box 281
           Golden, CO 80402, USA
I like surfer a good deal - the only problem I have w/ it is that it will
not take digitizer input directly.

Bob McConnaughey @ NIEHS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 13:39:11 CET
From: SVAGHI%ESASTSP.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Recording system startups - a neat solution

     Adding the following three lines to the AUTOEXEC.BAT will allow
recording of system startups in file BOOT.DAT provided that file CR,
consisting only of an empty line,is present in the same directory as
AUTOEXEC.BAT

echo -------------->>boot.dat
date <cr : find /v >>boot.dat "Enter"
time <cr : find /v >>boot.dat "Enter"

     An example of the resulting file BOOT.DAT,
     after two startups, is

--------------
Current date is Thu  1-04-1990
Current time is 13:07:10.37
--------------
Current date is Thu  1-04-1990
Current time is 13:13:14.25

      Best regards,
                    Sergio Vaghi   SVAGHI@ESASTSP.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 90 23:02 CST
From: R Sandy Rhodes <BLARXRPD@UIAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: SURFER Contouring Package

Tom Holt (F033%CPC865.EAST-ANGLIA.AC.UK) asks in Info-IBMPC Digest 89/121
for the publisher's address & price of a contouring package called SURFER.
I have copied the below information from an ad in the COGS-Letter
(Computer Oriented Geological Society) for Oct-Nov 1989.  I have no
connection whatsoever with the company and have never used this package.

SURFER (R) - $499 US
Golden Software, Inc.
807 14th St.
Golden  CO  80401  USA
800/333-1021 or 303/279-1021

R Sandy Rhodes (SAND RAT), Geology Dept., Univ. Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
                           BLARXRPD@UIAMVS
Disclaimer: Nobody else wanted these opinions, but, I took 'em anyway!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 19:31 CST
From: R Sandy Rhodes <BLARXRPD@UIAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Timing Program Use

In Digest #102 Ellen Cross asked for a pointer to utilities that would log
program use on a PC.  I am surprised that no one has mentioned the "free"
utility from PC Magazine (13 Dec., 1988) called LOG.COM.  This small TSR
(about 2K) has worked nearly flawlessly on my Leading Edge, Mdl D (4.77
Mhz), for the past year and may be what she needs.  It can still (I think)
be downloaded from the PCMagNet forum of CompuServe.  The fixed column
format of the output file should lend itself to the preparation of summary
usage statistics.  I include a short unedited sample of the output below:

------- Output example PC Magazine's LOG.COM --------------

------- End of sample -------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 90 18:33:43 O
From: Gershon Kunin <GERSHON%BARILVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: X/Y/ZModem Under VM/CMS

     It has been mentioned that since IBM mainframes support only 7-bit
communication, it would be impossible to write an X/Y/ZModem for VM (or
TSO).

     This is only partially true.  The 37x5 series indeed supports only 7
bits.  However, there are plenty of 7171's around, too.  Although the
default of the 7171 is also 7 bits, it can be given a control sequence
which would force it to work in transparent 8-bit mode. Kermit uses this
feature, and we use it all the time to do 8-bit PC-CMS and PC-TSO file
transfers.

     I would be very interested to see a CMS version of X/Y/Z modem.  It
certainly can be done.

-Gershon

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------