Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/21/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 21 Jan 90       Volume 90 : Issue   7

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          720K disk to 1.44Mb
                            i/o redirector
                     ASCII => PostScript Conversion
                          compress (v89 #121)
                          STDIO editor wanted
                             Uses for LINT

Today's Queries:
                        9 to 24 pin converter?
                                AUTOFTP
                     Automatic keystroke generation
                     Bgi Drivers and Mouse Control
                   Looking for Bulletin Board system
                    MS-KERMIT vs. dumb PC keyboards
           Adding a Hard Disk to an Old IBM PC/XT Motherboard
                       What makes ZMODEM so fast?
                          WP 5.0 and KX-P1124
             Problems with ZMODEM and Hardware Flow Control

New Uploads:
         DVIMSWIN.ARC - TeX DVI previewer for Microsoft Windows
                   Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see
file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories
and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  DDC is not a free
system but the hourly cost is only 17 cents.  It's also accessable on
Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Mon Jan 15 16:21:04 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: 720K disk to 1.44Mb

> If the disk is formated at 720K, I can not reformat it to 1.44Mb most of
> the time.

I've seen a warning to this effect, somewhere in the masses of paperwork ...

Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds.ac.uk
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!lena!mike or mike@lena.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 13 January 1990 21:33 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: ASCII => PostScript Conversion

In PC Digest v89n124, Wolfgang Wuerz <wuerz-w@vax.hmi.dbp.de> was looking
for a way to print ASCII files on a Postscript printer.

The only solution I know of is a commercial software product called
Trading Post. Trading Post is a TSR that provides limited control of a
PostScript printer for applications which do not have PostScript printer
drivers. It was reviewed in the First Looks section of the January 31,
1989 issue of PC Magazine.

Grant Hoover
University of Illinois at Chicago
Chicago, Illinois                                         .   .
Bitnet:      U26264@UICVM                                   .
Compuserve:  76370,314                                    \___/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 13:12:00 EST
From: George Nassas <GEORGE%LAUVAX01.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: compress (v89 #121)

>>but it does not seem to be able to decompress files that I get via ftp.  It
>>does compress and decompress files that I give.
>
>Are you sure you're doing a binary transfer all the way to your PC?  For
>example, the compress program I've got on my PC will crash if I forget to
>do "set transfer binary" when I use Kermit.

The other thing to consider is that compress files that originate on Unix
machines are often compressed with a code size of 16 bits.  This is often
too large for PC-based compress programs which usually only go up to 14
bits.  If anyone can supply a pointer to a 16 bit compress program for PC
I'd sure like to hear about it.

- George

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 23:33:16 PST
From: dwessels%cs2.cs.WSU.EDU@cs2.cs.wsu.edu (Duane Wessels)
Subject: i/o redirector

Found in Info-IBMPC Digest Vol 90, #2:

>From: "Damon Kelley; (RJE)" <damon@umbc2.umbc.edu>
>
>        Oh, and does anyone know of a program that can redirect output from
>COM1 to COM3 or redefine COM1 as COM3, in both cases temporarily?   It
>would preferably be a TSR...

There is a collection of programs in the PC Magazine VOL8N17.ARC that
might help you out.  Inside that archive you should find COMSET.ARC.
Here's part of the docs:

                          ... there are a couple  of  companion  programs
included  with this package which will swap the com ports in  the DOS
bios area.  They are called COMSWPxy.COM, where x and y  are the ports
which are swapped (ie: COMSWP14.COM will exchange ports 1 and 4).

Specifically, you get COMSWP13.COM, COMSWP14.COM, COMSWP23.COM,
COMSWP24.COM.  I don't think these are TSR's, but I'm not sure.  The full
pathname is PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>VOL8N17.ARC.

Duane Wessels    dwessels@cs2.cs.wsu.edu
                 22149853@WSUVM1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 13 January 1990 20:40 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: STDIO editor wanted

In PC Digest v89n123, Tom <mvac23!thomas@udel.edu> was looking for a full-
screen editor that uses standard I/O for use with a remote PC-to-PC
operation.

WordPerfect Corp. makes a good ASCII editor and includes it with the
Library package. It uses STDIO, so I can use it gracefully with DESQview,
and it has handled any size file I have given it. So far the largest file
I've edited with it was about 800K. It's especially nice if you're
familiar with WordPerfect (the word processor), as it uses the same
editing keys as that program whenever possible. Probably the most
significant drawback is the price. I don't think it's available
separately.

Date: Mon Jan 15 16:41:04 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Uses for LINT

Lint will also catch errors across different modules.   (I assume here
that the programmer has failed to use proper prototypes in a common
header.)

E.g. if I have

a.c
        double d;
        myfun(d);

b.c
        int i;
    myfun(i);
c.c
        long l;
        myfun(l)
        long l;
        {

then the compiler won't spot the parameter mismatch, because each file in

        cc a.c b.c c.c

is compiled separately.  However

        lint a.c b.c c.c

will, if it's any good, because it does all files together.

It will also check calls to standard library functions.

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 11:32:55 EDT
From: pgauvin@ncs.dnd.ca (Pierre Gauvin)
Subject: 9 to 24 pin converter?

I recently bought a 24 pin printer.  I found that some programs,
especially older ones, cannot handle 24 pin printers.  Usually, the
printer uses up almost 1-1/4 page per page of printing.

Is there a PD programme which fixes the problem and converts the stuff to
be printed to a format compatible with 24 pin printers?

I suppose I would also consider an inexpensive commercial program.

Please mail directly, I will summarize.

Pierre Gauvin
pgauvin@ncs.dnd.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 14:57 EST
From: PERRY@northeastern.edu
Subject: AUTOFTP

    A few issues back someone mentioned in passing AUTOFTP. Could someone
tell me more about this program? Sounds great! What machine does it run
on? Where can it be FTPed from?

    Thanks

        Jeffrey Perry
        (CS Student)
        Northeastern University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 08:48:00 EST
From: DAVID KLEIN <DAVID@Orion.YorkU.CA>
Subject: Automatic keystroke generation

    Is there a program or utility available that will allow appropriate
keystrokes to be generated automatically from inside a program at a
predefined point of execution?

    It would have to sense that whatever job being executed (in this case,
a large database update from information downloaded over a modem) had been
finished, and then send the command sequence to exit from the program.  At
that point, the main batch file could take over again and load another
program.

    I'd prefer shareware, but am willing to consider commercial packages
too.  I'll also summarize the replies and post them on this mailing list.

Thanks in advance,
David Klein
(DAVID@YUORION)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 JAN 90 18:05:59 GMT
From: <MATHURLEY%CS8700.UCG.IE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bgi Drivers and Mouse Control

1) Using INT 33h (mouse control) in vga mode 640x480 16 colours and MCGA
mode 6640x4880 2 colours does not see to work properly. The mouse cursor
does not appear. Does anyone know why/how to overcome this problem. Would
using a Paradise VGA board have anything to do with this?

2) I was trying to use VGA256.BGI from the Simtel Archives under Turbo C
V1.5 but seemingly I need a function that is only supplied on version
V2.0? Is there any way I can bypass this?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 12:44:34 O
From: Hank Nussbacher <HANK%BARILVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Looking for Bulletin Board system

I am looking for a multi-user Bulletin Board system that is extremely user
friendly (will be used by computer illiterates), can connect up to X.25
networks (i.e. Telenet, TYMNET) as well as autoanswer modems, and can run
on a 386 and a large hard disk.  The system should have the following
capabilities: private e-mail among members, electronic conferencing
(standard bboard), supervised (moderated) discussions, and a file store.

Can anyone provide info?

1024 thanks,
Hank

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 04:11 MDT
From: Pete Klammer 303/556-3915 <PKLAMMER%cudnvr@ccnucd.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: MS-KERMIT vs. dumb PC keyboards

Can the application keypad "5" key (non-numeric-lock) be enabled on older
PC's?

What can be done with the early PC keyboards that have dead "5" keys in
application keypad mode?  This misfeature also seems to defeat the
WordPerfect keyboard definition, since the requisite ALT-'(apostrophe) is
codeless (among several others, probably).

Is there some TSR driver or whatnot that regains use of these keycodes?
I'm pretty sure that this is really a PC BIOS deficiency, that the
keyboard really electrically does generate distinct signals for keypad-5
and ALT-anything, and that the BIOS is filtering some combinations that
were at one time deemed unfit for consumption.  Am I dreaming?

/** --poko  " I'm half Estonian, which makes up for the other half. "
Pete Klammer/Systems Programmer/(303)556-3915   PKLAMMER@PIKES.COLORADO.EDU
CU-Denver Computing Services / Campus Box 169   BITNET: PKLAMMER@CUDENVER
1200 Larimer St NC2506 / Denver CO 80204-5300   UU:!boulder!pikes!pklammer **/

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 90 08:37:00 EST
From: "HQEIS::KEISTER" <keister%hqeis.decnet@hqafsc-vax.af.mil>
Subject: Adding a Hard Disk to an Old IBM PC/XT Motherboard

Dear Ann Landers,

Help!  I have one of the old  IBM PCs with the 64K Motherboard and ROM
dated 1981.  It has suited all my needs until now.  A friend has given me
a Seagate 238 hard disk with a Winchester controller for a very good
price.  I would like to install it but the manual for the controller says
that the ROM must be dated 1982 or later.

Can the ROM be updated?  Do I need to replace the Motherboard?  Any
comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

                        Alan Keister
                        TRW Electronics & Defence
                        KEISTER@HQAFSC-VAX.AF.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 10:13:31 EST
From: John Grover <JGROVER%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: What makes ZMODEM so fast?

There has been a tremendous amount of interest in ZMODEM as of late. Can
anybody tell me why it is so much faster than other protocols? Does it do
any error checking? Is there a streaming mode for those of us with MNP?

John Grover
University of Maine Computing Center.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 23:59:22 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: WP 5.0 and KX-P1124

Can WP support this printer?  If not, can anyone send me the support files
for it, including the definitions for all the internal fonts?  I don't use
WP, and my friend who does doesn't know much about it.  Thanx

The Time Traveler, HE891C@GWUVM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 11:23:45 -0600
From: George Wang <gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Problems with ZMODEM and Hardware Flow Control

I am having problems uploading files with Zmodem (with hardware CTS flow
control ON) at high speeds... I have my COM port opened at 38,400 and the
actual connection is at 14.4K... In this situation the manual says that
one needs to use some kind of flow control... hardware preferred...
Therefore, I *AM* using Hardware Flow control (even tried BOTH Hardware &
Software) but both Zmodem and YModem-G fail with FLOW ERRORS....

I have a XT system with a multi-io that has a NS16550AN High Speed UART
installed.... I have no problems DOWNLOADING files but when I UPLOAD files
I get a FLOW error ever 4-5K and the transfer never goes through
correctly... THe only way I can get UPLOADS to work is if I open the com
port at 9600 and CONNECT at 9600 but this seriously HURTS the overall
throughput!!

Does anyone know how to fix this??? I would really like to get uploads
going at an opened COM port of 38.4K for best results.. Could it be my XT
system?? I heard that with the NS16550AN chip that even a XT system should
be able to deliver speeds of 115,200 baud (IE, for NULL modem
connections!)

Thanks in advance!
George

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1990  10:45 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DVIMSWIN.ARC - TeX DVI previewer for Microsoft Windows

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1990  15:00 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
CHEX.ARC        Checking program from Mar 90 Computes' PC Mag
FE432-1.ARC     File Express v4.32 database system, 1 of 2
FE432-2.ARC     File Express v4.32 database system, 2 of 2
USNO-90.ARC     US Naval Observatory floppy almanac for 1990

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
CORE29.ARC      Core International's famous HD benchmark, v2.9

pd1:<msdos.education>
WRDGLRY.ARC     Match words with pictures, children ages 4-7

pd1:<msdos.forth>
PYGMY12.ARC     Forth: src,editor,metacompiler,mult.open files

pd1:<msdos.gif>
SHOWGIF4.ARC    View .GIFs while downloading, for EGA/VGA

pd1:<msdos.hamradio>
VEFC24.ARC      Hams: VE code test validator/timer, w/C source

pd1:<msdos.printer>
PPS211.ARC      ASCII-to-postscript convers. utl (TP src only)

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
BENCH51.ARC     PC Magazine's (PC Labs') Benchmarks, v5.1
PATHFIND.ARC    Searches for files in DOS's PATH
SDOS161.ARC     StupenDOS v1.61 DOS shell
SVALIAS.ARC     Saves 4DOS aliases in a file for later use

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
100LETRS.ARC    100 business form letters for office and home

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
COMMOCV1.ARC    Convert phone directories to COMMO format
FONDIR52.ARC    TeleMate phone directory editor/utility
TM200-1.ARC     TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 1of3
TM200-2A.ARC    TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 2of3
TM200-3.ARC     TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 3of3
TMPDC20.ARC     Converts other phone directories to TeleMate

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, these files and many others from SIMTEL20
are also available for downloading on the Detroit Download Central network
at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple lines that
support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  DDC is not a free system but
the hourly cost is only 17 cents.  It's also accessable via PC Pursuit and
StarLink outdial.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------