Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/01/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu,  1 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  11

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Re: 720kb to 1.44 Mb
                       ASCII=> PostScript conversion
                         Looking for STDIO editor

Today's Queries:
            Problems with PS/2 model 70 and Windows/386 v2.11?
                  Access control and password protection
                          Hard Disk Fails to Boot
                          Kermit 3.0 Lan Support
                               Menu Program
           problem using a VT100 for remote login into an IBM PC
                       sota memory/16i difficulties
                     Turbo Pascal Technojocks Library
                         UNISYS PC Info requested
                             VM/386 MultiUser

New Programs:
                     Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 11:18:26 PST
From: Jim Carter <jimc@math.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: 720kb to 1.44 Mb

More often I've found that a disc formatted at 1.44 Mb cannot be formatted
at 720 Kb, and similar problems with 5.25" discs.  The problem is that the
heads of the two drive types are different widths and tracks are spaced in
a 2:1 ratio; thus you either read between tracks (720 -> 1.44) or read two
tracks at once (1.44 -> 720); in either case, you lose.  The format
program insists on reading track 0 first, and will not format if it gets a
read error.  Solution: a degausser or "bulk eraser", available for $10 or
so from consumer electronics stores.  A permanent magnet slid around the
approximate location of track 0 sometimes works, but is less reliable.

James F. Carter        (213) 825-2897
UCLA-Mathnet;  6621 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90024-1555
Internet: jimc@math.ucla.edu            BITNET: jimc%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 11:52:33 MEZ
From: Manfred Kremer <HLR002%DJUKFA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: ASCII=> PostScript conversion

In v90n007 there is a note that a program pps211.arc is uploaded to
SIMTEL20 in the msdos.printer directory.

If that does not suit your needs, I recently found a marvelous little
program, which is not too expensive, and among many other things does a
good job on ASCII => PostScript conversion.  It is called "Dan Bricklins
Page Garden", and is sold by a company

   Software Garden Inc.
   P.O.Box 373
   Newton Highlands, MA 02161
   USA

I have been using it for some time now in conjunction with PC-NFS by Sun
Microsystems to print from my pc on a postscript printer which is
connected to our Sun workstation server.

M. Kremer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 19:38:59 est
From: mvac23!thomas@udel.edu
Subject: Looking for STDIO editor

> In PC Digest v89n123, Tom <mvac23!thomas@udel.edu> was looking for a full-
> screen editor that uses standard I/O for use with a remote PC-to-PC
> operation.

Thought I'd update the group on what the results were.  As background,
I like to use an editor called QEDIT when I'm at the console.  What
I wanted was something like this for remote use, but QEDIT does direct
screen writes.  Then, voila: EMEDIT.  It doesn't use direct screen writes,
and works pretty well over a 2400 bps link.  It is from the same people,
SemWare, that makes QEDIT, so it looks and feels like QEDIT.  So that
was my solution.
                         - tom

internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Europe Bitnet: THOMAS1@GRATHUN1
Location: Newark, DE, USA
Quote   : Virtual Address eXtension.  Is that like a 9-digit zip code?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 14:04:23 EST
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Problems with PS/2 model 70 and Windows/386 v2.11?

An article reporting that the PS/2 Model 70 Bug Damages Diskette Data recently
appeared in PC WEEK.  This article reported that a bug in IBM machines could damage
data stored while running Windows/386 v2.11.  Does anyone have any more info
on this?  If true, what triggers the damage?

  Or is the magazine blowing smoke (among other things)?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1990 17:16:14 CST
From: MCKINNEY @ THORIN.HSCSA.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: Access control and password protection

This may be a rather basic question but here goes.  We are trying to develop
a minimal level of security for some PCs in our micro lab.  Ideally we would
like to make the students come to the desk before using a PC (we would be
checking the PC out to them for a given period of time).  These machines are
located in a room that is out of sight of the staff desk.  Is there some
shareware or PD program that would require a password before allowing access,
and then track program usage?  We are currently using Direct Access to log
usage, but we are looking for better password protection.  I realize that
someone could always reboot off a floppy, hence the "minimal level" of
security.  We mainly want to limit access to university personnel and track
usage.  Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim McKinney
Briscoe Library
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
BITNET	 MCKINNEY@UTHSCSA
Internet mckinney@thorin.hscsa.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 13:09:28 GMT
From: MCGDRKG%CMS.MCC.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (JANET)
Subject: Hard Disk Fails to Boot

Recently  a student  accidentally erased  the system  files (MSDOS.SYS,IO.SYS)
from the hard disk  of an OpusII PC. I tried to restore  the system files from
the MSDOS  command "sys c:"  but get an  error message "Insufficient  space on
disk for  system". I then tried  to use DEBUG to  copy the boot sector  from a
floppy to the boot sector on the hard disk. This resulted in the error message
"Not a system disk etc" when I rebooted from the hard disk. We can still access
the c: drive by  booting from a floppy but is it possible  to restore the hard
disk to a bootable condition without having to reformat?

                 Bob.Gowans

JANET:       R.Gowans@uk.ac.MCC
Internet:    R.Gowans%MCC.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu     Dept Civil Eng,
EARN/BITNET: R.Gowans%MCC.ac.uk@UKACRL              U.M.I.S.T,
UUCP:        ...!ukc!umist!R.Gowans                 Sackville Street,
                                                    Manchester.
FAX:         [044 61  | 061] 200-4016               M60 1QD.

[I have run into this same problem.  Part of the problem is caused by DOS
refusing to allow a system to be transferred to the disk if the disk has
been used in any way whatsoever.  You COULD have used a file uneraser such
as Notron Utilities or PcTools to recover the files.  This option still
might be open to you.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 09:06:58 MST
From: rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky)
Subject: Kermit 3.0 Lan Support

I've been playing with a beta copy of Kermit 3.0 and really like it so far. One
thing I haven't been able to play with yet is the network support.   Basically
'cause I don't know a lot about it.

Ok.  I have a NI5210 card in my PC and it's
hooked up to a Novell network and to our ethernet based data network.  Now -
information that's come my way says for Kermit to talk to the card (and from
there to our VAXCluster) I need Novell's TES.COM utility.  Or something called a
NASI/NACS server.  Hmmm.  No one here (sigh) seems to know much about this.  Can
anyone tell me more?  Is there a public domain equivalent that I could FTP from
somewhere?  Please respond to me directly as my access to this list is spotty.
I will summarize to the list if I get enough feedback.  Thanks in advance!

Richard Travsky                   __ /
Computer Services                  o.O
University of Wyoming            ={___}=
Bitnet:   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO            U
Internet: RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU

"Wyoming is the capital of Denver." - a tourist
"One of those square states." - another tourist

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 14:11:47 CST
From: Gary Samek <C133GES%UTARLVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Menu Program

I am looking for a menu program so that I can set up an interface for some
inexperienced dos users.  I want to be able to have multiple levels of
menus and be able to supply several dos commands with each program referenced
by the menu.  It is also necessary that control be returned to the menu utility
once the selected program has been run.

I am looking for a very good package, and it is preferred that this package not
be overly expensive. thanks.

Gary Samek
  Bitnet  C133GES@UTARLVM1
  Telnet  C133GES@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu

[You might try PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>NASAMENU.ARC.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 17:28:24 EST
From: tsilva%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.mit.edu (Tony Silva)
Subject: problem using a VT100 for remote login into an IBM PC

I am currently using a VT100 to log into the comm port (COM1) of an
IBM PC running a remote host program. I can do simple commands like
DIR with no problem: the command output correctly scrolls down both
the PC and VT100 screens, etc.

The trouble starts when I use full screen programs like MICROEMACS or
even the standard DOS MORE. The programs think they are talking to a
25-line PC display when they are actually talking to a 24-line VT100.
As a result, I lose a line.

I have been using a Wyse WY85 terminal in VT100 mode and a Mac running
several VT100 terminal emulator programs.  Regardless of which I use,
if I change the number of lines in the terminal or terminal emulator
settings from 24 to 25 in an attempt to fix the problem above, the
screen does not scroll once it is full, i.e., all the output
overwrites the last (25th) line of the display. This is true even for
simple commands like DIR.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on here? I'd love a fix
which would work with my 25-line VT100 terminals/emulators, and would
prefer to avoid modifying the full-screen programs themselves. I don't
have the source to all of them, and in any event would prefer to use
the same executables for both normal and remote operation.  A friend
seemed to recall seeing this topic discussed in either PC or BYTE
Magazine within the last year. Unfortunately, I don't have any back
issues handy. I looked quickly through the PCMAG and BYTEMAG
directories on SIMTEL, but didn't see anything which was obvious from
the directory listings.  I'd really appreciate any direction anyone
can give me.

Tony Silva

Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corp.	ARPA: tsilva%aaec1.UUCP@dspvax.MIT.EDU
470 Totten Pond Road			UUCP: ...!seismo!dspvax!aaec1!tsilva
Waltham, MA 02154
(617)890-4200

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 11:57 EST
From: BEETHOVEN <V118HJ3D@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: sota memory/16i difficulties

hello all:

I am the rather frustrated owner of a retrofitted IBM PC, which contains:
a 40 meg hard drive w/ Western Digital controller,
a SOTA corp.  Floppy I/O Plus multi-format floppy controller,
a 1.44 meg floppy,
a SOTA 286i accelerator card (12.5 MHz)
a Tecmar Graphics Tender (CGA)
and (here's the kicker) a SOTA Memory 16/i expansion with 2 megs RAM.

My problem: life was fine before I added the Memory 16/i, except, of course,
that I was short on memory.  Adding the mem16i daughterboard to the 286i
required me to install a special SOTA-provided EMS driver that replaced
their special 286i driver.

Unfortunately, when I CAN get the system to boot in 286 mode (it now requires
several jiggles of the toggle switch to do so) it tries to load this new driver,
informs me that the static RAM cache on the 286i is bad, and freezes.  I cannot
use the old 286i driver while the mem16i is physically attached to the 286i;
I get a really stupid look from the unit if I try.  If I remove the mem16i and
replace the EMS driver with the 286i driver, everything is fine, which tells
me at least I'm not damaging anything.

I suspect a bad (REALLY bad) EMS driver.  Can anyone provide suggestions or
at least sympathy?  Both are much appreciated.

Thanks...

Anthony M. Petro  IN%"V118HJ3D@UBVMSD.BITNET"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 90  9:35:57 EST
From: Mark@HAMSTER.business.uwo.ca
Subject: Turbo Pascal Technojocks Library

I have been using a library of Turbo Pascal routines called Turbo
Technojocks.  It is a group of Units that can be used in your own programs..I have the version 4.0 and have recompiled it for Turbo 5.x.  I have heard
that there is a newer version available.  Has anyone seen this on any BBS?
Is it available for FTP?  Any help would be great.  No where in the manual
is a source mentioned for new updates..

Mark Bramwell, VE3PZR                Located in sunny London, Ontario

Internet: mark@hamster.business.uwo.ca  IP Address: 129.100.22.100
  Packet:  VE3PZR @ VE3GYQ               UWO Phone: (519) 661-3714

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 15:03:32 PST
From: lyman@Inference.Com (j.r.lyman)
Subject: UNISYS PC Info requested

Dose anyone have any information on the UNISYS PC, I believe
it is refered to as a model (B20).  I would appreciate any
comments regarding it, especially those dealing with MS-DOS
compatability.

thanks in advance.

 John R. Lyman  =>  Inference Corporation  213-417-7997
                =>  lyman@inference.com
                =>  cit-vax!jato!infer1!lyman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 08:29:00 EST
From: Graham Wright <WRIGHT%MCMVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: VM/386 MultiUser

Has anyone used IGC's VM/386 MultiUser extensively for Departmental, or
Workgroup computing?. I've used the single user version a little and
found it to be highly reliable ( once you find a VGA card it likes! )
although a little slow.

 How does the MultiUser version work with mixed Word Processing, some
database work, and possibly a communications session running together?

 Has anyone used VM/386 with AMR's UnTerminal product?. Has anyone used
the UnTerminal at all??

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1990  01:02 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.catalog>
CDISK433.ARC    Disk catalog system also does ARC/PAK/ZIP/LBR

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
REFS51.ARC      Finds references in name, date form in manusc.

pd2:<msdos2.pcmag>
SLICE13.ARC     PcMag utl fix: split long files to mult. disks

--Keith

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 19:38:59 est