Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/04/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  3 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  12

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                DOS 4.01 does not accept 2.nd HD partition
              Problems with ZMODEM and Hardware Flow Control
                         SIMTEL20 PCMAG directory

Today's Queries:
                        Tandy 1000 to LN03 problem
                      TeX dvi program for HP deskjet
                          286 (or 386sx) laptops
                            Keyboard Remapping
                           MS Mouse and the PS/2
                       Need Printer recommendations
                         Programs for Deaf People
                       PS2 Model 80 memory upgrades

New Programs:
                     Recent MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20
                Fractint version 11.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20
                   Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                MS-Kermit version 3.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20
       PCCURS14.ARC - Unix-compatible version of Curses screen mgmt

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: 24 Jan 90 01:34:49 MST (Wed)
From: clleth!dean@uunet.UU.NET (Dean Switzer)
Subject: DOS 4.01 does not accept 2.nd HD partition

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>System: 286 with Seagate 251 (2 Partitions c:, d:).  It works fine with
>DOS 3.3, booting from disk or HD.  Booting PCDOS 4.01 from disk, it does
>not accept the 2.nd HD partion.  The error message 'unknown data medium'
>(originally in german) is not listed in the guides.

>Any ideas of workarounds without repartitioning the HD with DOS4.01 FDISK?

	DOS 4.01 doesn't want partitions because it can format up to a 2
gigabyte disk if I remember the doc correctly. My advise would be to back
up the hd and reformat with dos4.01 format and then restore. If your drive
is larger than two gigabytes I can't help you. I had some 'unkown data
medium' errors returned by pctools deluxe and norton utilities on dos4.01
formatted hard drives though and I haven't been able to get around it yet.
My dealer calmly tells me that I am not having the trouble and the error
messages are hallucinations.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 90 12:40 CST
From: Today is a good day <UCS_KAS%SHSU.BITNET@tamvm1.tamu.edu>
Subject: Problems with ZMODEM and Hardware Flow Control

"George Wang <gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>" writes:

> I am having problems uploading files with Zmodem (with hardware CTS flow
> control ON) at high speeds... I have my COM port opened at 38,400 and the
> actual connection is at 14.4K... In this situation the manual says that
> one needs to use some kind of flow control... hardware preferred...
> Therefore, I *AM* using Hardware Flow control (even tried BOTH Hardware &
> Software) but both Zmodem and YModem-G fail with FLOW ERRORS....

If you are transferring compressed files (.ZIP, .ARC ect) then try
disabling file compression if the version of ZMODEM you are using supports
that option.  I have read that an AT should be able to handle the overhead
of unnecessary compression but an XT might not.  Even though you have an
XT, the following from DSZ.DOC might help you or someone else.

    11.4  PC-AT Extended Memory

    Virtual memory disk caches and ramdisks using 80286 extended memory
require a hardware reset of the 80286 chip to return to the normal "real
mode" after accessing extended memory.  This interference to the interrupt
response time causes lost characters on comm ports, and may be minimized
by specifying shorter memory transfers.

    Switching to National 16550A UART chips helps tremendously, allowing
transfers at 115200 bps instead of 9600 bps with a standard 8250.

Disabling the disk cache eliminated data overflow problems @19200 bps for me.

Regards--
Kenneth Selvia               Internet : ucs_kas%shsu.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
Programmer Analyst             BITNET : UCS_KAS@SHSU.BITNET
Sam Houston State University      BBS : (409)291-6123 KEN (24 Hrs. 2400/N/8/1)
Huntsville, TX 77341                    [My opinions blah blah blah...]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 04:56:34 est
From: <MJL@ARMONK.MCEO.DG.COM>
Subject: SIMTEL20 PCMAG directory

This week and last week I was downloading some stuff from SIMTEL20
and tried to check out the PCMAG directory to see if the latest
utilities had been added ( I was looking for BATCHMAN :-) and found
that the directory no longer existed.  Has it been deleted for some
reason?

Thanx
     Michael Lippert

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 90 01:45 EST
From: UN021311@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU
Subject: Tandy 1000 to LN03 problem

Hi,

I am having a problem connecting a Digital LN03 laser printer to a Tandy
1000 TX. Previously I had the LN03 connected to a IBM PS/2 using the
PS/2's 25 pin serial port. All I had to do was redirect LPT1 to COM1 since
the LN03 is a serial printer. This setup worked without any problem.

However, when I connect the LN03 to a Tandy 1000TX (using the same cable)
I find that I cannot print. The screen just locks up and when I print a
test sheet from the printer, it shows no errors.  I am using the same
commands to redirect the output through the serial port. The only
difference is that the Tandy has a 9 pin serial port and I am using a
9-pin to 25-pin adapter so I can use the same cable. I have checked the
adapter and found it to be okay.

Could anyone help solve this problem.

Please e-mail directly to:

Neil Hazari
BITNET: UN021311@WVNVAXA
Internet: un021311@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 12:42:13 CST
From: greg@zadok.tamu.edu (Greg Economides)
Subject: TeX dvi program for HP deskjet

I am looking for a TeX dvi->HP deskjet plus program.  Has one been
written?  There is a certain level of compatibility between HP Laserjet
and Deskjet Plus; does anybody know if a dvi->laserjet program will work?
What would the limitations be?

thanks for the help,
Greg Economides
greg@zadok.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 17:54:04 EST
From: "Bernardo M. Ferdman" <BMF13%ALBNYVM1@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Subject: 286 (or 386sx) laptops

I would like to buy a 286 laptop very soon and have been investigating the
options.  I would appreciate to know of your recommendations and/or
experiences.

I would like, ideally, to spend about $3000 (or less, if possible), and
have the following features: EGA or VGA capability; battery pack; parallel
and serial ports; 1 MB ram (or more); back-lit; not overly heavy; 40 MB
hard drive; ports for external monitor, keyboard; 2400 baud modem;
separate cursor, Pg Dn, Pg Up, Home and End keys.

In particular, does anyone know anything about the Leading Edge laptops
coming out in mid-February, or the Dell 316LT laptop?  How would you
compare the Toshiba 1600, the Compaq SLT/286 and the NEC Prospeed 286?
What about the Compaq LTE/286 (I know, it doesn't have EGA).

If responses are sent to me directly, I will summarize for the list.

Thank you!        Bernardo Ferdman,  State University of New York/Albany
                  BITNET:  BMF13@ALBNYVM1
                  Internet:  BMF13@ALBNYVM1.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 18:00 PST
From: "Henry W. Miller" <HMILLER%SCU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Keyboard Remapping

        We have a number of PC's that are in the process of being
connected to our ethernet LAN.  Some also have serial ports.  The large
computers connected to our internal network are primarily VAXes of various
flavors.  Users connect to the host systems via KERMIT, PROCOMM, NCSA
TELNET and DECnet DOS.  The users also make heavy use of the VAX special
editing keys available from the VT100 and VT200.  Unfortunately, none of
the programs in use seem to do things the same way in all cases, and they
do not do them in a way that the user finds appropriate.

        Rather than trying to remap the keys for each application, it
occurs to me that it might be possible to write a device driver to catch
INT 9H and remap the keys in that way before passing the character along
to the application program via INT 16H.

        Is this a feasable way of doing this, and if so, is there any
example code in the SIMTEL archives, or any place else for that matter,
that could provide a starting point?

Henry W. Miller
(916) 978-5108 / FTS 460-5108
Inet:   "sanj!sacwms!henrym@caldwr.water.ca.gov"
BITNET: "hmiller@scu"   !Warning: These are NOT the same machine

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 23:56:02 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: MS Mouse and the PS/2

I have a MS Mouse attached to my PS/2 port.  I have the mouse tech ref
manual & software, and I'm trying to create a menu.  However, for some
reason the menus refuse to send keystrokes to the keyboard buffer when I'm
in most programs.  It doesn't work under DOS, Basic, or MicroCap II (the
program I'm making a menu for).  It does work under PC Mag's TED and
XyWrite.  Menus pop up normally, but keystrokes are not sent.  This
happens with all menus - mine, Microsofts', and XyWrite's.  I have mouse
software version 6.14.  What is going on????????

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 15:32:50 EST
From: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Need Printer recommendations

NEED: Recommendations, pointers to recommendations/rating for a printer.

Prefer: either dual-mode (daisywheel and dot-matrix) or HIGH quality
dot-matrix. Printer is to be used for business contracts and such.

If dot-matrix only, it should be adjustable for draft or HIGH quality
mode.

It should be of a fairly good speed in high-quality mode.

It MUST be able to LEGIBLY print through 4-PART CARBONLESS paper. Each
part is of std. weight.

Thanks

Michael J. Chinni
      Chief Scientist, Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
	 US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
 User to skeleton sitting at cobweb   () Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
    and dust covered workstation      () ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
      "System been down long?"        () UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni

[Take a look in an October or November '89 issue of PC Magazine.  They
reviewed some 100+ printers.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 90 11:03:00 MET
From: Jan Sirks <SIRKS%HROEUR1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Programs for Deaf People

  Does anyone know if there software for training deaf people?  I am
interested in programs for the sign langauge, but also in educational
programs for deaf children.  Information about both public domain and
commercial programs are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jan Sirks
sirks@HROEUR1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 16:56 EST
From: <BRUCEH%UTKVX3.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: PS2 Model 80 memory upgrades

Does anyone know of any third party memory upgrades, cards, etc. for a PS2
model 80.  A local high school has several on a Novell network.  They have
been told that they need three meg for the file server and network.  They
also feel IBM's price is too high.  Any info would be appreciated.  Also
any of you novell users out there, how much memory do you really need?
Thanks

Bruce Harrison  WB4MJG
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin
BRUCEH@UTKVX    (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1990  01:44 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
AM445.ARC       ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH

pd1:<msdos.catalog>
CDISK433.ARC    Disk catalog system also does ARC/PAK/ZIP/LBR

pd1:<msdos.dbase>
CONVDB15.ARC    Converts ASCII files to dBASE compatible files

pd1:<msdos.deskaccess>
MTSLBB50.ARC    Address & phone number organizer/phone dialer

pd1:<msdos.deskpub>
DTPBBS12.ARC    List of Desktop Publishing BBS's

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
DC106F.ARC      Improved version of PC MAG's DR * CO
WHERE35.ARC     Fast file & ARC/ZIP/LZH/ZOO/PAK/PKA searcher

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
PASSWRD6.ARC    Install password on hard disk, w/ASM source

pd1:<msdos.editor>
RES_SHP2.ARC    Resume Shop v2, creates customized resumes
TEDIT2.ARC      Fast multi-window file editor for programmers

pd1:<msdos.gif>
VPIC24.ARC      GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convert, v2.4

pd1:<msdos.hamradio>
KAM401.ARC      Hams: Kantronics KAM all-mode terminal program

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
XLIST232.ARC    Hard disk manager for DOS, ZIP, and ARC files

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
19200HST.ARC    Program to aid set up of USRobotics HST modems

pd2:<msdos2.taxes>
PCTX8913.ARC    Computes and prints 1989 Federal Tax returns

pd2:<msdos2.zmodem>
DSZ0122.ARC     X/Y/Zmodem protocol file transfer pgm 01/22/90
DSZ0122N.ARC    Description of recent changes to DSZ comm pgm
DSZ0122X.ARC    X/Y/Zmodem file transfer, EXE version 01/22/90
PHOMST78.ARC    Starter scripts for Zcomm or ProYAM
YAMDEMO.ARC     Pro-YAM communications SW demo
YAMHELP.ARC     Flash-up help processor+database for YAM
ZCOMMDOC.ARC    Documentation for ZCOMM communications pgm
ZCOMMEXE.ARC    Comm prog w/AUTO Kermit, X,Y,Zmodem, SEAlink
ZCOMMHLP.ARC    Flash-up help for ZCOMM communications program

All of the DSZ, YAM, and ZCOMM files were obtained directly from
the author Chuck Forsberg.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1990  23:23 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Fractint version 11.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1990  17:30 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has been updated.
The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version of the
same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files, with a brief one line
description for each file.  This file is updated at approximate 1-2 week
intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this file),
SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT.C, SIMCVT3.EXC, SIMIBM.DB3, SIMIBM.HDR,
SIMIBM.INF, SIMDISP.AWK, SIMDISP.DOC, SIMDISP.PL and SIMCVT.FOR.
SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week intervals (more frequently,
time permitting).

Also available:

QUICKREF.LST a quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.

SIMCVT.BAS and SIMCVT2.BAS are BASICA/GWBASIC programs to convert
     SIMIBM.IDX to a human-readable text file.

SIMCVT.C a Unix C program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT3.EXC a VM/CMS REXX program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT.FOR a VAX/VMS FORTRAN program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT.SPS a VAX/VMS SPS program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMDISP.AWK an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMDISP.PL a Pearl script to print SIMTEL20's SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.DB3 tells how to use SIMIBM.IDX with dBASEIII.

SIMIBM.HDR a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.INF information on record structure of SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMRAZ12.ARC a program to merge, shorten, rearrange SIMTEL indices.

SIMTEL35.ARC a program which will import any SIMTEL20 comma-delimited
catalog file and convert it to a .DBF and allow viewing, searching,
printing reports, etc.  The user does not need dBASE and all the necessary
files will be created as they are needed by the program.

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive in
sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
processing.

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX and PD2:<MSDOS2>FILES.IDX are updated on a daily
basis (sometimes several times a day when a lot of new files are
uploaded).  These are comma-delimited files, without descriptions, of the
MSDOS and MSDOS2 directories respectively, suitable for importing into
PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

                         DISCLAIMER

Due to the large number of files available, the archive maintainers cannot
possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of the various programs.
When a program bug is reported, immediate action is taken to either
correct the error or remove the offending program from the archives.
Still, users must understand that all archive programs are offered AS IS,
and the archive maintainers specifically disclaim any liability should
these programs malfunction or cause damage, incidental or otherwise.  When
testing ANY new software, be certain that all information stored on disk
is backed-up before you start, so that you can recover if files are
damaged or erased.  This is particularly true if you have a hard disk, in
which case malfunctions can be spectacularly disasterous.

         WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems should
be directed to Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1990  01:30 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: MS-Kermit version 3.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20

MS-Kermit version 3.0 is now available from SIMTEL20 in convenient
archived form.  MSKERM30.ARC contains all the files which are on the
Columbia distribution disk, plus MSKERMIT.PCH and the latest KERMIT.BWR as
of this date.

pd2:<msdos2.kermit>
EP437.ARC       PC Code-Page-437-to-Epson char set translation
EPSON.ARC       Epson printer driver for EGA graphics screens
LK250.ARC       Driver allows PC/AT to use DEC LK250 keyboard
MSKER-EM.ARC    MS-Kermit v3.0 term emulation & graphics info
MSKERM30.ARC    MS-Kermit v3.0 comm pgm for IBM-compatibles

These files were all obtained from Columbia University, the official home
of Kermit.  The Epson printer and DEC keyboard programs, while they may be
used for other applications, are mainly intended for use with Kermit and
thus were put into the Kermit directory on SIMTEL20.

Please be aware that EPSON.ARC and LK250.ARC are included in MSKERM30.ARC.
They were uploaded separately for those who need just those programs.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1990  09:34 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PCCURS14.ARC - Unix-compatible version of Curses screen mgmt

I have uploaded version 1.4 of my PCcurses package to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.screen>
PCCURS14.ARC    Unix-compatible version of Curses screen mgmt

Bjorn

Thanks, Bjorn!

--Keith

End of Info-IBMPC Digest