Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/13/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 13 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  17

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Background Kermit Transfers
                             Chess Algorithms
                       Disk, tape & printer queries
                  IBM PC Convertible and The $25 Network
                   Looking for Jewish calendar program.
                                  Memory
                       Modem Cable for Kaypro PC XT?
                             SCSI controllers
                         SOTA memory 16i problems
                          Unix on a PC Compatible
          C_MENUS1.ARC - Pop-Up menu library for Turbo C programs
                   Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated
                          New upload to Simtel-20
       PENDRW17.ARC - Menu-driven graphics editor, Herc/CGA/EGA/VGA
        PICVIEW.ARC - GIF/MAC viewer w/adjustable palette animation
       VUIMG200.ARC - GIF/TIFF file viewer for Herc/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 10:47 CST
From: Jerry Katz <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Background KERMIT transfers

Regarding DGOODMAN's question about background KERMIT transfers:

Another program which will do the job is Softklone's MIRROR (I think
Mirror III or so is out now).  It is a commercial program,  but is able to
do everything crosstalk can,  and costs A LOT less.  I have an old version
which came with my Promehteus modem,  and have been pleased.  Usually
Mirror costs about 1/3 of Crosstalk, either at retail or discount.

The usual disclaimers apply.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 22:29 CST
From: <BC01869%SWTEXAS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Chess Algorithms

Hello,

Does anybody have a PD or personally written chess algorithm that they
don't mind sharing.  I am currently trying to write a VAX version and a PC
version at the same time.  It's a pretty tough job, but somebody has to do
it.  I am not looking to make this a production game.  I am just looking
to learn from this experience and maybe pass my knowledge on to others by
means of PD or other means.  Thanks in advance.

Brian Collins
RAMBO

| THEnet:  SWT::BC01869    |
| BITNET:  BC01869@SWTEXAS |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 14:48:33 EST
From: "Richard J. Reiner" <RREINER%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Disk, tape & printer queries

At a gov't surplus sale a little while ago, I picked up a bunch of PC
peripherals.  They were real cheap, but all are totally without
documentation.  Does anyone have specs/manuals for any of the following?

   Tallgrass TG-5025(A) tape and HD combination unit
   Scriptel SPD-1212T graphics tablet
   Polaroid Palette 72-10
   Epson FX-100 with factory upgrade to FX-185
   Santa Clara Systems 32/11R double drive unit
   Syquest SQ 312RD removable disk drive
   Syquest 338F disk drive
   Direct 831 and 800B (vt100-compatible ?) terminals

I'll gladly pay for photocopying and mailing if anyone can help.
Thanks very much,

--Richard

Richard J. Reiner              rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca
BITNET: rreiner@yorkvm1.bitnet (also rreiner@vm1.yorku.ca)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 15:43:54 EST
From: rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca (Richard Reiner)
Subject: IBM PC Convertible and The $25 Network

I recently acquired The $25 Network from Information Modes.  I'm extremely
satisfied with the product, with one exception: when used between my IBM
PC Convertible and another machine, it won't operate reliably at any speed
over 19.2K baud.  With other machines it runs well at 115K baud.

I initially suspected the Convertible's sleep timer was powering things
down during every keyboard wait, thus causing lost characters.  I'm no
longer sure this is the case.  I tried writing (in my very rusty 80x86
assembler) an INT 16h handler which didn't call the wait-on-external-event
(sleep) function for function 0 (read next character), but it did neither
harm nor good.  Of course my handler might not have been doing what I
intended.  Anyone willing to have a look at it?

Other serial communications software (LapLink, for instance) works just
fine on the Convertible at 115K baud.

Anybody with inside info on the Convertible know what's up?

Thanks,

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 13:02 CDT
From: <RAYMOND%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Looking for Jewish calendar program.

Hi,
 A friend of mine is looking for a program that calculates the equivelant
Hebrew (Jewish) date from the current Julian Date...

                                           Sincerely,
                                           Raymond Erdey
BitNet : Raymond@AuDucVAX

------------------------------

Date: SUN FEB 04, 1990 23.49.27 EST
From: <KMD1%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu>
Subject: Memory

  I have a 286 clone with a total of 1 Meg Memory. (384k
extended/expanded).  I was wondering if there was a way to load TSR's and
device drivers into the extended memory (or expanded)..  I have so many,
my ram is shrinking dangerously...  Programs such as eemram.* have not
worked....  Any suggestions?

               Ps:  I have a VGA monitor, so that page is taken!
                       Kevin Dunn (KMD1@lehigh)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Feb 90 16:13:19 -0900
From: <ASTLC%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Modem Cable for Kaypro PC XT?

  I recently picked up a Kaypro XT from a friend, and I'm trying to
construct a modem cable for it. Unfortunately, the computer didn't come
with a manual of any kind, so I'm "out in the cold" as far as
documentation goes!

  Does anyone have one of these Kaypro PC XT beasts around? If so, could
you possibly send me a pinout diagram of the 9-pin COM1 port? Any info
would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

=== Tom Claydon
    University of Alaska Anchorage

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 13:06:06 GMT
From: Martin McCarthy <mmc%CXA.DARESBURY.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SCSI controllers

I have a PC-AT with a 20M hard disc and I have about 60M of programs and
data, so when I want to use my C compiler I have to delete WORD from my C:
drive to fit it on (for example).

Just the other day I was offered a large SCSI drive out of a VME system
which is being scrapped and I would like to make use of this. (I don't
know the make of the drive).

So the questiona are: what cards are available for connecting a SCSI disc
to my PC? Can you connect any SCSI disc to a SCSI controller? What sort of
cost will I be looking at? (If anyone knows UK costs, so much the better).
Do you know which SCSI controllers are good/bad?

If people reply directly to me, I will--of course--summarise any useful
information back to the list.

Grateful thanks from both me & my PC,
	Martin McCarthy.

JANET:       mmc@uk.ac.dl.cxa
Internet:    mmc%cxa.dl.ac.uk
EARN/BITNET: mmc%cxa.dl.ac.uk@UKACRL
UUCP:        mmc%cxa.dl.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Ean:	     mmc%cxa.dl.ac.uk@ean-relay.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 90 17:53 EST
From: BEETHOVEN <V118HJ3D@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: SOTA memory 16i problems

hello all--

I recently bought a SOTA memory 16i 2MB expansion for my retrofitted IBM
PC, which also contains a SOTA 286i, SOTA Floppy i/o plus, Tecmar Graphics
Tender, and Western Digital controller for a 40 MB hard drive.  I am
currently running DOS 4.0.

My problem is that the mem 16i is totally useless within this
configuration-- the driver software freezes upon attempting to initialize
it.  Without the 16i (a daughterboard for the 286i) attached, all is fine,
except for the fact that I have nowhere nearly enough memory to run
applications.

Has anyone had similar problems with this product?  I can elaborate on
specific details of the dysfunctionality if further info is needed.

Any advice would be much appreciated-- e-mail V118HJ3D@UBVMSD.BITNET

Thanks in advance.

Anthony M. Petro

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 90 05:49:12 GMT
From: gast@CS.UCLA.EDU ()
Subject: Unix on a PC Compatible

I am considering the purchase of a PC compatible to run Unix.  Does anyone
have any advice?  I understand that there are two main variants of Unix
for a PC--SCO Unix and Interactive Unix.  Is there any advice about this
choice.

I would like to run X windows as well.

If this is frequently asked question #1, I apoligize as I am not regular
reader of this group.  (If there is a better newsgroup to post to, please
advise.)  Please mail me your suggestions, I will post a summary.

Thanks,

David Gast
gast@cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 31 January 1990  12:52-MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: C_MENUS1.ARC - Pop-Up menu library for Turbo C programs

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1990  13:48 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files updated

The index of SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has been updated.
The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version of the
same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files, with a brief one line
description for each file.  This file is updated at approximate 1-2 week
intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this file),
     SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT.C, SIMCVT.EXC, SIMIBM.DB3,
     SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.INF, SIMDISP.AWK, SIMDISP.DOC, SIMDISP.PL
     and SIMCVT.FOR.  SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximate 1-2 week
     intervals (more frequently, time permitting).

Also available:

QUICKREF.LST a quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.

SIMCVT.BAS and SIMCVT2.BAS are BASICA/GWBASIC programs to convert
     SIMIBM.IDX to a human-readable text file.

SIMCVT.C a Unix C program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT.EXC a VM/CMS REXX program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT.FOR a VAX/VMS FORTRAN program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMCVT.SPS a VAX/VMS SPS program to print SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMDISP.AWK an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how to use SIMDISP.AWK.

SIMDISP.PL a Pearl script to print SIMTEL20's SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.DB3 tells how to use SIMIBM.IDX with dBASEIII.

SIMIBM.HDR a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.INF information on record structure of SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMRAZ12.ARC a program to merge, shorten, rearrange SIMTEL indices.

SIMTEL35.ARC a program which will import any SIMTEL20 comma-delimited
     catalog file and convert it to a .DBF and allow viewing, searching,
     printing reports, etc.  The user does not need dBASE and all the
     necessary files will be created as they are needed by the program.

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX and PD2:<MSDOS2>FILES.IDX are updated on a daily
     basis (sometimes several times a day when a lot of new files are
     uploaded).  These are comma-delimited files, without descriptions,
     of the MSDOS and MSDOS2 directories respectively, suitable for
     importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

                         DISCLAIMER

Due to the large number of files available, the archive maintainers cannot
possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of the various programs.
When a program bug is reported, immediate action is taken to either
correct the error or remove the offending program from the archives.
Still, users must understand that all archive programs are offered AS IS,
and the archive maintainers specifically disclaim any liability should
these programs malfunction or cause damage, incidental or otherwise.  When
testing ANY new software, be certain that all information stored on disk
is backed-up before you start, so that you can recover if files are
damaged or erased.  This is particularly true if you have a hard disk, in
which case malfunctions can be spectacularly disasterous.

         WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system problems, FTP problems, and network problems should
be directed to Action@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed to
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about files in the PC-BLUE collection should be directed to
Wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed to the system administrator at the server location.  SIMTEL20
does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 90 10:45:43 SET
From: Karl Keyte <ESC1332%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: New upload to Simtel-20

Please add the following to the IBMPC-L journal:

Pop-Up menus for 'C' programs available with menu pop-up library uploaded
to Simtel-20 as:

PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>C_MENUS1.ARC

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1990  13:30 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>