Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/18/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 17 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  21

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
              Kermit V3.0 and EVE (tpu) editing in VT320 mode
                 Jewish/Julian Calendar Conversion Request
                               Reboot of PC
                     Re: Request for Specs for TCP/IP
                What has happended to the PCMAG directory?

Today's Queries:
                               arcx for Unix
                com2 problems and Installing Internal Modem
               Problems with Toshiba portable external drive
                   Looking for Form Generation Software
                 Paradise VGA card Technical Specs wanted
               Problem when linking Large Programs for OS/2
                   Selective Print Screen Program Wanted
                         Wordperfect File Headers

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 09:22 PST
From: SAM@POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU
Subject: Kermit V3.0 and EVE (tpu) editing in VT320 mode

  I recently downloaded Kermit version 3.0 from the columbia FTP system.
I have had a problem with it doing EVE (tpu) editing while in VT320 mode.
The editor works fine in VT102 mode, but displays some escape sequences
when placed in VT320 mode.  Does anyone have a possible solution?  Please
send all replys to me directly.  Thank you.

Sam Cropsey
Microsystems Manager, Pomona College
INTERNET:SAM@POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU
  BITNET:SAM@POMONA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 08:29:49 MST
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: Jewish/Julian Calendar Conversion Request

I have seen several Jewish/Julian calendar conversion utilities listed in
the monthly newsletters of this shareware distribution outfit:

Public (Software) Library (PsL)     1-800-2424-PSL
PO Box 35705                        FAX 1-713-524-6398
Houston, TX  77235-5705             CompuServe ID# 711355,470

Speaking for myself, these people are very good, and run a class
operation.  Their monthly magazine is $18/year or $2/issue.  Orders are
$5.00/disk plus $4/order.  Add $1/disk for 3.5 inch disks.

My recommendation does not reflect in any way the opinions or policies of
my employers.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 21:30 MET
From: "Anneke Sicherer-Roetman" <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Reboot of PC

Make the following file and call it "boot.asm" (be sure to enter the empty
line between jmp and r):

a 100
jmp f000:fff0

r cx
5
n boot.com

and run this file through debug by the command "debug < boot.asm".  This
will result in a file boot.com of 5 bytes to be written to disk.  This
file now contains the five bytes EA F0 FF 00 F0. Any other way to make
such a file will work as good.

This tiny program will do a warm reboot just as Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Hope this helps, Anneke.

------------------------------

Date: 16 February 1990 09:28:29 CST
From: "Alejandro Holcman  " <U22685@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Request for Specs for TCP/IP

> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 19:19:15 PST
> From: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com (David C. Barber)
>
> Where can I get published specifications for TCP/IP?
>
>                                         *David Barber*

There is a server which upon sending a request, can send you RFC's
documents.  The only thing you need to do is to send mail to:
info-server@sh.cs.net with the lines:

                TOPIC INFO
                HELP

The server will send a file back with enough information for you to send
further requests. If you are interested in TCP/IP, the RFC documents are :
RFC791 (Internet Protocol) and RFC793 (TCP) among others.

                                      Alejandro R. Holcman
                                      University of Illinois, Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 11:32:02 EST
From: Joey Maxie <JOEY%UTCVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: What has happended to the PCMAG directory?

I was wondering what has happen to the PCMAG directory and associate files
and if they are going to be loaded back on for "anonymous" retrieval.  It
seems strange that SIMTEL20 has removed them and also WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU
which had PCMAG as a subdirectory of MIRRORS has also removed them.  Is
this a hint that they are gone for good?

[Take a look in PD2:<MSDOS.PCMAG>]

Thank you for your time and assistance in this manner.

|Joey Maxie                             |   MaBell:  (615) 755-5324     |
|University of Tennessee at Chattanooga |                               |
|CECA - 124 Hunter Hall                 |   Bitnet:  JOEY@UTCVM         |
|615 McCallie Avenue                    | Internet:  JOEY%UTCVM.BITNET@ |
|Chattanooga, TN  37403                 |            CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 7:33:49 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: arcx for Unix

Does anyone know where I can get the sources to a program that will
extract .arc files on Unix?  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1990 11:51:19 CST
From: BEFHELP @ RIGEL.TAMU.EDU (Brian Frost--ACS User Consultant)
Subject: com2 problems and Installing Internal Modem

Hello, I've been having a very frustrating time trying to install an
internal modem on my 286AT.  I configured the modem card for Com2, but
when I boot up the system, norton SI shows that I have only one serial
port.  I have an EGA card with parallel interface configured to be LPT1.
I also have an IO card with a serial port, configured to be COM1, and
another Parallel port configured to be LPT2.  It also has an interface for
a joystick.  I've also got a bus mouse card, but I removed it and it still
didn't recognize Com2.  So at the moment I've removed the IO card until I
can find a solution to this problem.

Any Suggestions???

Brian Frost
BEFHELP@TAMVENUS	--BITNet
BEFHELP@VENUS.TAMU.EDU	--Internet

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 16 Feb 90 14:08:32 GMT
From:     Barry Moody <MT04@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>
Subject: Problems with Toshiba portable external drive

Can anyone help ?

I am trying from a distance (machines are in West Africa) to solve a
problem with a TOSHIBA portable.

Equipment : TOSHIBA 1200HB connected to a TOSHIBA external 5.25" disk
drive

Problem : T1200 can list files on disks in external drive, but cannot copy
files to the disk, also cannot format disks. Reported messages are:
'unable to write boot', 'drive not ready', 'invalid media or track 0 bad
disc unusable'.

     Two different external drives have been tried, but without success

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 10:45:43 CST
From: "Mark D. McKamey IM SA" <mark@ria-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Looking for Form Generation Software

Hello PC'ers,

    I am looking for a quality forms generation software package with
interfaces to a database.  The software must run on a 80286 system, and
interface with preferably an Informix or Oracle database.  I would also
consider a package which would interface with a Paradox or DBase database.

    Does anyone know of any such software packages, and/or have any
experience running such packages which they could share with me.  Thank
You,

Mark D. McKamey
INTERNET:  mark@ria-emh2.army.mil
UUCP:      uunet.uu.net!ria-emh2.army.mil!mark
HQ AMCCOM, ASQNC-ARI-TW, ATTN: Mark McKamey, Rock Island, IL 61299-7210
COMMERCIAL: (309) 782-4503     AUTOVON: 793-4503

[Brown Bag Software, located in NY, has one that is distributed with
WordStar.  Program is called Fill-a-Form.  PC Resource Mag reviewed five
different form generation programs in their April '89 issue.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 10:57 EST
From: "Achh, Who wants to set pers's anyway?" <IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU>
Subject: Paradise VGA card Technical Specs wanted

Hello,
Does anybody out there know where I can get hold of technical
specifications for a Paradise VGA card, I recently found out that my
Hewlett Packard VGA card is for all intents and purposes a Paradise VGA
card.

I'm looking for the techinical info on the modes specific the card
particularly the High-Res modes, memory mapping and the like

Also, does anybody out there know how Cshow 7.21 does its 640x480x256
emulation on the card??

thanx
David Holland
IUGC500@INDYVAX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 01:43 CST
From: <R7505016%TWNTUCC1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problem when linking Large Programs for OS/2

Dear Networkers:

   Recently, we want to put SAP6 (Structural Analysis Program) on 386
running OS2 1.01. We compiled the source codes successfully using MS
FORTRAN 4.1. But when we try to link the object codes to execution file,
we encountered problems. The Microsoft link (Version 5.0...) told me that
file segments too large (the total number of subroutine and function near
380). Can anyone tell me what's file segment? And how to overcome the
limits, any skills or tricks are welcome. And from the manuals, we find
some topics about DLL (Dynamic Link Library). And we thought it may be
another solution. But we cannot find any examples mentioned. After I did
some try and error, I found I cannot use DLL.

So I wanted to ask anyone in this discussion list, can MS FORTRAN 4.1 make
and use DLLs?  If possible, can someone give me examples.

Yin-Hsin Chen
Department of Naval Architecture
National Taiwan University

P.S.: If you make any suggestions, please mail a copy to me. Because
      I just read Info-ibmpc from Simtel's PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 15:12:20 EST
From: KALBURGI SRINIVAS <SRINIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Selective Print Screen Program Wanted

     I would like some leads to a program that well let me selectively
print what I am reading from my screen. I would like to use this on the
mail from various lists and newsletters I subscribe to, without RECEIVING
them on to my disk.

     There is a program that does it for anything I am sourcing from my
PC's harddisk or floppies. The program stays resident. But when I am
linked to the Main Computer to read my mail form Bitnet or even received
files on my Main Computer disks, I lose it, and it does not behave as a
resident prog.  How can I make it resident in my Main computer account?
[It is a freeware called SPS that I downloaded from a BBS]

     The alternative I am using now is the Shift-PrintSreen Key. But it
prints all junk at the top and bottom of the screen too.

[One such a program is PIZAZZ.  Allows you to select what portion of the
screen you want printed.  Also allows color shifts, different printers.
Costs about $80-$100.  I HAVE used this, but have no connection with the
company.  I'll find my documentation and get the address and mail
seperately.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 08:36:56 PLT
From: Jonathan Block <JBLOCK%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wordperfect File Headers

Can anyone provide the data table for Worperfect 5.0 file headers.

An important file was corrupted - the data are all present, but I am
unable to retrieve the file in Wordperfect.  Attempts to retrieve the file
yield a string of nulls (displayed as ^@^@^@ . . .).

I was able to strip the header from the file and retrieve the remainder as
a "DOS TEXT FILE."  Unfortunately, the file was cluttered with WP
formatting and control characters which were not interpretable by the
program.

Wordperfect technical support was unable to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Jonathan Block  -  jblock@WSUVM1

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------