Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/18/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 18 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  23

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20
                           dBase Discussion List
                            Does Borland Exist?
                      PCX/TIFF -> GEM format (2 msgs)
                               Reboot of PC
                      TeX DVI program for HP deskjet
                      There are MCA vendors out there
                             Zero Length Files

Today's Queries:
           Graphics mouse cursor on hercules monochrome adaptor
                             X terminals ....

New Uploads:
           DISKF1.ASM - Corrects AT floppy disk timing problems
                TABX.C - Filter that expands TABS to SPACES

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1990  16:49 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20

Because our connection to the net is limited in bandwidth, we try to give
those anonymous ftp users who manage to get in a reasonable response time
by limiting the number of such jobs.  The solution is to just keep trying.
Best times seem to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings and between 3am
and 7am any day (EST).

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 19:19:26 CST
From: pa126318@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Alfredo Delgado Garza)
Subject: dBase Discussion List

Hi.

there is a BITNET listserv dBase and related dialects list. to subscribe
send a mail to

LISTSERV@TECMTYVM.BITNET or LISTSERV@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX with no subject
and a line that says:

SUBS DBASE-L your name.

If you are in BITNET you can send an interactive msg. such as:

TELL LISTSERV at TECMTYVM SUBS DBASE-L your real name.

Hope this helps.

Alfredo Delgado-Garza.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 13:05 N
From: <PAAI%HTIKUB5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Does Borland Really Exist?

Reason for this odd question: I had (and still have) some questions about
their C-compiler. Twice I wrote them, quoting the serial number of my
(legal) copy of the compiler and all the other stuff that could possibly
be of use like my address to return mail to etc.

First letter was in august 1989 (!), second one in december 1989.  Now I
didn't misquote my serial number or something, but even if I did, I would
expect them at least to react somehow.

Or is it that we europeans are on the bottom of the barrel as seen from
out there?

So if somebody from Borland reads this: there is someone who has been
waiting for six months now to get an answer from you!

Hans Paijmans

Tilburg university
Holland.
PAAI@HTIKUB5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 13:38:52 pst
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: PCX/TIFF -> GEM format

"Jacques Beland Trent University" <BELANDJ@TrentU.CA> asked, in Info-IBMPC
Digest V90 #16, if there was a program that would convert PCX/TIFF to GEM
format:

There is a commerical program called Hijaak that converts between various
graphic formats. I have used it to convert .PCX Files to GEM Paint files.
It is sold under its own name and as the Graphic Transformer from IMSI. It
supports the specific conversion Mr. Beland wants to do.

			   Danny Low
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 10:07:46 CST
From: Rich Zellich <zellich@STL-07SIMA.ARMY.MIL>

In the IBMPC Digest V90#16, Jacques Beland <BELANDJ@TrentU.CA> asks:
> Does anyone know of (p/d or commercial or otherwise) a graphics format
> converter that will take a PCX/TIFF/GIF etc file into GEM format (under
> GEM Draw Plus, to be specific)? We like to scan some pictures (using the
> Logitech's hand-held scanner, which scans into PCX or TIFF format) into
> GEM Draw Plus.

On page 274 of the February 1990 issue of Computer Shopper, the CAD &
Graphics company advertises something called the Graphics Transformer for
$69.95.  This utility is advertised to [cross-]support the following file
types/extensions:

FILE TYPE          EXTENSION

Amiga              .IFF
Macintosh          .MAC
CompuServ          .GIF
PC Paintbrush      .PCX
Dr. Halo II & III  .CUT
PostScript         .PSC
DP Graphics        .CUT
Scanner TIFF       .TIF
HP Laserjet        .HPC
TEXT               .TXT
InSet              .PIX
GEM Paint          .IMG
Lotus 1-2-3        .PIC
Microsoft Paint    .MSP

The address for CAD & Graphics is 1301 Evans Avenue, San Francisco, CA
94124 and their phone numbers are listed as (800) 288-1611 for orders &
information, and (800) 288-6808 for customer service.

I have *NOT* used this program; the information above is taken from an ad
placed by a company I know nothing about, and is presented here for
whatever informational value it may have.  If anyone else has used the
program, though, I would be interested in hearing how well it works; I
have incompatible paint and publishing programs, plus access to picture
files that NEITHER of them can use, and I'd like a reliable translation
program myself.

Cheers,
Rich

PS - Since the host name listed in the mini-header in the Digest is not
     "real" as far as my mail software is concerned, I'm sending my reply
     to the Digest instead of directly to Mr. Beland...  [Now if your host
     used DOMAIN addressing you could have forwarded it directly.  Full
     address with Domain forwarding (called MX records)
     <belandj%TrantU.CA@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu Feb 15 18:05:39 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Reboot of PC

The following works in TurboC (or MS C).  In some compilers, you have to
fold the address to 20 bits, but here the segment and offset are separate:

#define MAGIC           0               /* for cold restart */
/* #define MAGIC           0x1234          /* for warm restart */

#define BOOT_SEG	0xffffL
#define BOOT_OFF	0x0000L
#define BOOT_ADR	((BOOT_SEG << 16) | BOOT_OFF)

#define DOS_SEG		0x0040L
#define RESET_FLAG	0x0072L
#define RESET_ADR	((DOS_SEG << 16) | RESET_FLAG)

main()
{
	void ((far *fp)()) = (void (far *)()) BOOT_ADR;

	*(int far *)RESET_ADR = MAGIC;
	(*fp)();
	return 0;	/* never gets here, but keeps compiler happy */
}

Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds.ac.uk
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!lena!mike or mike@lena.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 10:27:02 MEZ
From: Manfred Kremer <HLR002%DJUKFA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TeX DVI program for HP deskjet

I do not have the soluton for your problem, but I can definitely tell you
that a driver for the HP laserjet will not do. This is because a whole
page of text must be stored in the HP laserjets memory before it is
printed. Now the deskjet has a considerably smaller memory and cannot keep
a whole page. I do not know if it would be ok for the deskjet to be fed
the contents of a page in several pieces; if that is not possible, I am
afraid you cannot use the deskjet for TeX printing at all.

Still, if you get any encouraging news about the problem, please let me
know. We once had the same problem and finally gave up.

Manfred Kremer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 90 17:35:15 EST
From: "J.Chester" <jchester@note.nsf.gov>
Subject: There are MCA vendors out there

In Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 90 Issue 15, David J. Camp of Washington
University asked "Are there any MCA vendors out there?".

Not having seen any replies, I'll mention IBM PC Users group Support BBS.
Effective 8 AM on Friday, February 16, 1990, its telephone number will be
(404) 835-6600.  One of its "doors" lets one into a database of MCA
products from IBM and from "independent vendors".  There's quite a variety
of products available from many sources.  I checked the "serial port"
listing recently and believe there were 70+ items listed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu Feb 15 16:26:11 GMT 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <lena!mike@relay.EU.net>
Subject: Zero Length Files

> ... So, do you know
> of a program which does this diagnosis and leaves these error flags?

It depends on your version of Dos

According to the Dos 3.2 manual (Batch File Commands)

	... Only BACKUP, FORMAT and RESTORE commands set an ERRORLEVEL that can
be tested ...

And in Dos 3.3

	... Refer to each command description to [see] if the command sets an
ERRORLEVEL ...

A quick scan shows that the answer is "not many do" :-(

This is the situation we had with *ix about 15 years ago (showing my age
now!).  Why all commands can't return a sensible status is beyond me - the
extra code would be miniscule.

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 11:37:32 +0200
From: Guy Sirton <MLSIRTON%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Graphics mouse cursor on hercules monochrome adaptor

Is it possible to get a graphics cursor from the mouse driver (mine is
LogiTech) to work on the hercules monochrome graphics adaptor?

The manual from LogiTech mentions the hercules as one of its "supported"
graphics adaptors but doesn't mention how to get this to work.

A glance through the MicroSoft C 5.1 manuals, which I am using to program
the mouse driver, refers you to "special instructions" in the "Microsoft
Mouse Programmer's Reference Guide."

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanx,
      Guy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 09:40:10 SET
From: "N.Head" <ESC1111%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: X terminals ....

Has anyone any knowledge of, or plans to produce etc, software that will
allow a PC/PS to perform as an Xterminal ??

Should this be a stupid question (can't be done 'cos..., is already part
of OS/2...!!!!!) I would appreciate hearing that too.

I will summarise if there seems to be any great interest. Oh yes - DOS or
OS/2 preferably, [x]NIX as a last resort.

Thanks in advance, Nigel.                     bitent: esc1111@esoc
                                              voice : +49 6151 886264

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1990  08:39 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DISKF1.ASM - Corrects AT floppy disk timing problems

> I've uploaded DISKF.ASM - a DEBUG script that creates DISK.COM.  This
> program is reputed to correct timing problems with True Blue IBM
> PC/ATs that have been sped up from 6 mhz to 10 mhz.

Greg, DISKF1.ASM has been moved to directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>

  I added the words "floppy disk" to the description, since the author
says it will not affect the hard disk or the rest of the system.

[Program was discussed in Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #18.  Original title was
AT Drive Problems.  gph]

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1990  08:46 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TABX.C - Filter that expands TABS to SPACES

> I've uploaded TAB.C, a filter that expands TABS to SPACES.  Since it's
> a filter, it should work with a file of ANY size.  The program is
> written in TURBO-C, but should compile with any C compiler.

Greg, TAB.C has been renamed to TABX.C to match the author's intent for
the program name.  It has been moved to directory PD1:<MSDOS.C> since it
claims to be generic enough to be compiled with almost any C compiler.

[Program was discussed in Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #19]

--Keith

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------