Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 18 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  24

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 00:09:35 EST
From: Tom Hunt <34C2RM5%CMUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: dBase List

I have had a number of responses to my inquiry about a dBase list!

For those of you interested in a list dealing with dBase II, III, IV,
Fox, Clipper, etc.  I have been informed that a list is in operation.

Here is the address information:

      DBASE-L%TECMTYVM.BITNET@VMI.NODAK.EDU
      DBASE-L@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX
 or   DBASE-L@TECMTYVM.BITNET

I appreciate the quick response, and hope the above information is
helpful.
Acknowledge-To: <34C2RM5@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1990  02:51 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ent MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.C>
KWCTUTOR.ARC  B  206930  900216  C tutorial demo package from KnowWare
TABX.C        A    1695  900215  Filter that expands TABS to SPACES
WR_PROT.C     A    1221  900215  Check to see if a drive is write protected

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
BCOPY.ARC     B   20114  900215  PC Mag utility: Copy files in the background
DISKF1.ASM    A    4541  900215  Corrects AT floppy disk timing problems

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
ELECTRC3.ARC  B   58498  900216  Performs most common electrical calculations
PERIODIC.ARC  B   52843  900216  Display the periodic table of elements, (EGA)

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
ACCOUNTS.INF  A    1112  900216  Govt. & contractors can get SIMTEL20 account

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
MARSFACE.ARC  B   23231  900214  Viking Orbiter GIF image & explanatory text
VUIMG210.ARC  B   56831  900216  GIF/TIFF file viewer for Herc/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
KBFIX230.ARC  B   14306  900215  Keyboard speed-up, expand buffer, aVOIDS tHIS
KEY-FAKE.ARC  B    1886  900215  PCMag utl: Sends simulated keystrokes to pgms

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PGMUTL>
VAL-LINK.ARC  B  214539  900217  Troendle's VAL experimental linker, w/C source

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
UUDECODE.BAS  A    3917  900216  Convert ASCII uuencoded files back to binary
UUDECODE.DOC  A    1723  900216  Instructions on how to use UUDECODE.COM

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
VSUM9002.ARC  B   37801  900214  Merry Hughes' virus info summary list, 900302

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.UUCP>
UUPCSRC.ARC   B  162835  900216  MSDOS uucp, C source for UUPC v1.07h (02/90)
UUPCUSER.ARC  B  149519  900216  MSDOS uucp, UUPC v1.07h (02/90), many bugfixes

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG>
VOL9N05.ARC   B   29789  900215  PCMag: ANSIHERE, ANSIX, NEEDANSI, TRYFTRIG

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 13:20:52 PST
From: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com (David C. Barber)
Subject: Information on Kaypro Machines

Tom Clayton asks in Volume 90 Issue 17 where to get information on a Kaypro
XT.  I recommend that he contact Kaypro directly in Solana Beach, CA
(619) 481-3900 or (619) 481-4300.  Both lines are voice.
                                        *David Barber*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

"Without change, nothing can ever get better!"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 05:05:56 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: LaTeX Fonts (Previewer and Printer)

>As far as I can ascertain, HERC2DVI subsamples 240 .pk fonts to get the
>required screen resolutions.  After reading the DVIEPS.DOC I am not sure
>but I think that this is what the DVIEPS driver does too!
>
>    PROBLEM 1:  I need a FULL SET of 240 .pk fonts for 10, 11 and 12
>points.  The set supplied with HERC2DVI are inadequate and incomplete.
>
>    PROBLEM 2:  From what I understand you need MeTaFont to make these
>fonts.  I do not have this program and from what I have been reading most
>people are in the same situation as I am.
>
>           **** I have a friend that has a 24 pin printer and just
>received the DVIPAN print driver from SIMTEL20.  Does it use the same 240
>.pk fonts as the 9 pin? ****

Are you sure the supermini you've been using for previewing doesn't
have a copy of Metafont installed?  You could use it for creating
fonts to transfer to your PC.

The TeX fonts (of the PK variety at least, historically there are
complications that can be ignored in many cases) indicate the base
dots-per-inch of the device they're for with that number 240, 300,
etc., etc.  HERC2DVI subsamples 240dpi fonts, as the screen is
generally best served by being treated as 110dpi (or somesuch,
exactitude is not important in previewing on a low-resolution
screen). A 9-pin Epson printer is, however, a 240dpi device (ignoring
for the moment the 9:10 aspect ratio), so it uses all the pixels
given in 240 PK file.

However, not all 240 PK files are necessarily equivalent, as there
are several parameters that one can give Metafont that indicate some
characteristics of a particular printer, such as how dark it makes
thin lines.  You can certainly print with the 240dpi fonts you've got,
but the results may not be optimal on your printer.

If you wish to create fonts on your PC there are several commercial
versions of Metafont and at least two "free" ones that I know of.  Of
the latter, the one probably of most use to you is Dos-MF.  It's a
companion program to Dos-TeX.  It may be available by this point on
Simtel20 in the same files as the latest version of Dos-TeX.  Be
warned though that a complete set of 75 Computer Modern fonts in the
standard magsteps took about a CPU week on a 16MHz 386 the last time
I used another of the PC versions.

As for keeping these fonts available on an archive....  Well, if all
the interesting fonts were kept in all interesting sizes for all
common printers in the form of pixel files, even compressed ones like
PK files, that's an awful lot of disk space and network bandwidth
used up.

(BTW, I distribute various TeX software for PCs on floppies for a
handling charge, but I don't have Epson PK files yet, though I've
been meaning to for a while.  You see, the VAX's hard disk filled up,
and that CPU week on the 386 was a bore....)

--Jon Radel
P.O. Box 2276
Reston, VA 22090

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 23:17:09 EST
From: Sanjay Aiyagari <HD7X%CORNELLA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: PKZIP on Model 70 and How to Reboot in your program

A question was asked here recently about PKZIP giving problems on a
model 70 when the -t option was used.  If you are having this problem,
you should read the WHATSNEW.102 file that comes with PKZIP version
1.02.  It tells of various things you can do to remedy the problem, the
easiest of which is to run BIOSFIX.COM, a very short TSR that should fix
the problem.  Note that this problem does not occur on all 386
computers, only some of them.

Another question was how to reboot the computer from within a program.
The easiest way is in assembler.  The code goes as follows:
mov ax,40
mov ds,ax
mov word ptr [72],1234
jmp ffff:0000

Where all numbers given are in hex.

------------------------------

Date: Fri Feb 16 10:28:42 1990
From: alichten@lognet2.af.mil (SSgt Allen L. Lichtenwalner)
Subject: RUN APPLE SOFTWARE ON IBM???

I know someone out there can help me.  I need to run  some  Apple
software on and IBM compatible computer system (CompuAdd 80386sx)
that has a CVGA monitor and an internal 80-MB drive.  I will pri-
marily  be  running programs for the kids in school (you know how
Apple has the education market sewn up).   If  you  know  of  any
hardware/software programs that can do this, give me a yell.

                                    Lee at Langley

------------------------------

Date: Fri Feb 16 19:05:12 1990
From: fstarr@lognet2.af.mil (TSgt Frank Starr)

	If you have a local Apple SIG, check them. They should know
reliable products, and the best prices. If no one else has any clues,
check Computer Shopper magazine. Towards the back, it has a list of
user's groups throughout the U.S. It may even list the product(s)
you're looking for.

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 15:44:18 CST
From: mccall@skvax1.csc.ti.com (Constitutional rights? We don't need no stinking Constitutional rights!)
Subject: WINDOWS, Serial Mouse, and COMPAQ 386

In Volume 90 Issue 15, Larry Enos reports on his problem with
getting his serial mouse to work with Windows.

He didn't explicitly say what kind of mouse he had, but from the end
of his note it appears that he is using a Mouse Systems mouse.

I have a similar setup (although I'm using an ALR instead of a
Compaq), and I find it hard to believe that neither set of technical
support people could help him.

The answer is quite simple.  When you install Windows, do NOT tell
it you have a Microsoft mouse.  Instead, tell it that you have a
Mouse Systems mouse.  However, continue to load the Microsoft mouse
driver for your mouse as you have been (I generally use the
CONFIG.SYS version, myself).

Windows contains its own mouse drivers, you see, and bypasses the
one you install (or such seems to be the case on my machine).  By
telling Windows that the Mouse hardware is a Mouse Systems mouse, it
will then know how to correctly address that hardware.  By
continuing to load the Microsoft mouse driver for the Mouse Systems
mouse, all software that uses the mouse in an exclusive window will
be able to access it correctly as if it were a Microsoft Mouse.

Hope this helps.

| Fred McCall  (mccall@skvax1.ti.com) | My boss doesn't agree with anything  |
| Military Computer Systems           | I say, so I don't think the company  |
| Defense Systems & Electronics Group | does, either.  That must mean I'm    |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.             | stuck with any opinions stated here. |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 17:29 EST
From: HRL%PSUARCH.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Animation Software?

Please send any suggestions about this subject directly to me cc the
Info-IBMPC Digest.

An animation of the movement of a wire-frame cube is the desired result.

Thanks.
Howard

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 05:06:05 EST
From: jonradel@bogey.Princeton.EDU
Subject: Distinguishing different versions of 486

Does anybody know how to tell the different revision levels of the
486 apart?  I have a friend who's about to get one from a dealer who
swears that it has the latest, much less buggy, revision.  How to
tell if this is so?  (Not having ever seen one yet, for all I know
Intel prints it on the chip in a non-obscure code, but I'm not
counting on it.) Thanks.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@bogey.princeton.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 17:17 EST
From: "N. Miller, Trinity College" <NMILLER%TRINCC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: erse video

I have a 286 mono system and would like my screen to appear in reverse video.
On my old DEC Rainbow such a change is as easy as falling off a log.  Is there
any way this can be done on my more "advanced" clone?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 23:03:56 PST
From: manley@csam.lbl.gov (Oscar Manley [ams doe])
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #20

I too have problems unarcing files downloaded from Simtel. First I
ftp a file to a vax/unix. I test it there with arc t and everything
is OK. Then I use kermit to transfer the arced file to my pc. Here
I try to apply pkxarc and I get a message that the crc check fails.
Am I missing something?
Oscar M.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 11:34:52 EST
From: Kalburgi Srinivas <SRINIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Micro as FAX?

     In a couple of IBMPC-L circulars I thought I saw an oblique reference to
 the utilization of using a PC as a FAX machine. Of course I realize that no
 paper can be fed. But I like to know if and how messages and letters composed
 on the screen can be transmitted as files to a FAX machine, and wheter the PC
 can be used to receive FAX transmissions.

     I have seen a gadget advertized which eliminates seperate telephone connec
 tions for voice, fax, data etc., It is a hardware that distinguishes in-coming
 calls as to its type and activates appropriate hardware at the receiving end,
 that make it possible to hook up data,Fax and voice telephone to a single
 phone line. But this is not what I am referring to. I want to know if I can
 use a PC to link up (to and from) with a FAX machine. What hardware/software
 is needed? What is the experience of those who have done it?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 19:59:54 -0500 (EST)
From: "Richard E. Stuart" <rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: tape drive software

Hello there,

My shop will be networking soon and I want to purchase a new tape drive

I'm looking for a new tape drive to backup my 150 Meg. hard drive that:

	has a DMA that allows for reads from the tape drive
	while writing from to the hard drive, and vice a versa

	allows me to redirect the screen output to a file

	can backup files on a Novel network

	makes it easy to backup via a batch file by setting the
	variable "errorlevel" upon exiting (typically, if
	errorlevel equals 0 when an application exits then all
	went well; other values that can be assigned to errorlevel 	correspod
to error messages.  Hence, I can use the
	batchfile to execute the backup program, and upon the
	exit of the backup program, if errorlevel equals zero then
	the file that contains the re-directed screen output can be 	removed,
otherwise the file will be mailed to the System
	Administrator.)

	compresses files as they are archived to the streamer
	tape, and de-compresses the files as they are restored

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 20:40:59 EST
From: Joseph Skoler <SKOHC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: UNIX, 640K and an AT

In the never ending search for a way around the 640K RAM barrier, I
wonder if an AT (286) compatible, equipped with 640K on the motherboard
and 1 meg in either expanded or extended (though, unfortunately, not fully
LIM 4.0) can (should) run UNIX (or any operating system oher than MS-Dos)
so as to better take advantage of the memory.

In other words, if I can and do runUNIX will all 1.64 meg of RAM be fully
accessable to run programs in?

Thanks in advance,
Joseph Skoler,  SKOHC@CUNYVM

------------------------------

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
************************
-------

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 18 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  24

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                              Re: dBase List
                      Information on Kaypro Machines
                    LaTeX Fonts (Previewer and Printer)
          Re: PKZIP on Model 70 and How to Reboot in your program
                 Run Apple Software on an IBM PC? (2 msgs)
                 Re: WINDOWS, Serial Mouse, and COMPAQ 386

Today's Queries:
                            Animation Software?
                 Distinguishing different versions of 486
                               Reverse video
                  UNARCing files Downloaded from SIMTEL20
                               Micro as FAX?
                            tape drive software