Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 19 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  25

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                   Re: Sperry IT 3.5" drive installation
                       FidoNet Technical Information
                           File Recovery Utility
                       PS2 Model 80 memory upgrades
              Using LW to print ASCII on a PostScript printer

Today's Queries:
                  Looking for a floppy disk lock program

New Uploads:
                          CC1053{A-C} correction

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST) at a cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 22:19:08 PST
From: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com (David C. Barber)
Subject: Answer for David Gardner

I could not reach David Gardner at the listed E-Mail address.

David Gardner writes in Volume 90 Issue 20:

>From: David Gardner <HQDG%PSUORVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Subject: Sperry IT 3.5" drive installation
>
>Have been unable to install 3.5" (720k) drive.  Installed MS-DOS 3.3 and
>have occassional diskette incompatabilities, ie. will not correctly read
>diskettes that were formatted under DOS 3.1.  It was suggested that I need
>to upgrade my ROM chips - $64.00 (ouch).  Technical support from Unisys
>has suggested some of us out here are having no trouble and others like
>myself are miserable.  He was one of the miserable ones so I am still in
>the dark.  Anyone out that who can help??  The IT was purchased in 1985
>and has been performing well the entire time.

    I had a problem similiar to the one you describe whereby floppy discs
formatted with one version of MS-DOS would not read with another version.
I determined, using Norton Utilities, that the placement at the beginning
of the disc of the boot, fat, and root directory in some cases was shifted
by 1 sector (i.e. the boot was shorter or missing, and everything else
shifted).

    I found that some versions of MS-DOS 3.2 could read both versions,
while others (also MS-DOS 3.2) could only read one version.  I suggest you
take, or format, a disc on each system, then compare the exact length and
placement of these areas which Norton Utilties displays very nicely.  You
don't need to be a diskette expert to simply compare the placement.

    If this is your problem, then you've found it, though I don't have any
suggestions beyond that on solving it except to recopy all your diskettes
on some machine that can read both and write the correct one.  Otherwise,
complain to MicroSoft, or to the person who sold you 3.3 maybe.  Hope this
helps explain the mystery.

                                        *David Barber*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

"Without change, nothing can ever get better!"

------------------------------

Date: 17 February 1990 02:20 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: FidoNet Technical Information

Bruce <KAHN%void.mceo.dg.com@RELAY.CS.NET> asked about FidoNet technical
information.

Try        The International FidoNet Association
           c/o Ken Kaplan
           P.O. Box 41143
           St. Louis, MO 63141

or

           The International FidoNet Association
           c/o Kris A. Veitch
           1405 S.W. 81st
           Oklahoma City, OK 73159

or these bulletin boards:

           International FidoNet Coordinator   602-235-9653
           FidoNews                            203-729-7569
           International FidoNet Association   314-576-2743
           IFNA Membership Services            405-682-1177

Grant Hoover
University of Illinois at Chicago
Chicago, Illinois                                         .   .
Bitnet:      U26264@UICVM                                   .
Compuserve:  76370,314                                    \___/

------------------------------

Date: 17 February 1990 01:40 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: File Recovery Utility

Chuck <DXCOD@WIDENER> asked about recovering deleted files that have been
partially overwritten.

Ever since Peter Norton Computing added the nifty Quick Unerase utility
(which doesn't do what you want) to its Norton Utilities package, I've
bumped into a good number of people who don't know that the original
Norton Utility in that package will help unerase files or the remaining
portions of overwritten files.

Date: 17 February 1990 02:10 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: PS2 Model 80 memory upgrades

Bruce <BRUCEH@UTKVX> asked about memory upgrades for the PS/2 Model 80.

The following third-party memory upgrades compatible with the PS/2 Model
80 were mentioned on page 81 of Byte's IBM Special Edition from Fall of
1989:

    Advantage 2/386   (32 bit)    AST Research           714-863-1333
    JustRAM/MC8       (16 bit)    Monolithic Systems     303-790-7400
    RamQuest Extra    (16 bit)    Orchid Technology      415-683-0300
    Elite 16/2        (16 bit)    Profit Systems         313-647-5010
    MicroRAM AD       (16 bit)    Tecmar                 216-349-0600

This one appeared in a PC Magazine review starting on page 223 of that
magazine's October 11, 1988 issue:

    CuRAM 80-8        (32 bit)    Cumulus                216-464-2211

This one hasn't been properly reviewed yet:

    OS/RAM32       (32 or 16 bit)   Capital Equipment    800-234-4232

This last one is pretty neat from my point of view down here as a Model 50
user because it will run 16 bits wide in my machine and 32 bits wide in a
70 or 80. This means no investment loss when I upgrade (one fine day).
This doesn't affect Model 80 users, however.

I have no affiliation with any of these companies, so my recommendations
aren't biased, but at the same time I haven't even used any of these
products, so I don't have any recommendations.

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 00:50 CST
From: <MEMCR%UNO.BITNET@VM.TCS.Tulane.EDU>
Subject: Using LW to print ASCII on a PostScript printer

I wanted to add a few things to John Wyman's reponse concerning Wolfgang
Wuerz's question concerning printing ASCII on a PostScript printer.

I have used the LW program with the PC AppleTalk to print many things on
the LaserWriter in our office and have never had any difficulty. Realize
though that the LW program is in conjunction with the card and another PC
program called ATALK to set up the correct addresses for LW to access the
card (which is connected to the AppleTalk network). If the PS printer is a
LaserWriter then this would be a nice solution to your question (LW
convert whatever file you give it to a PS file that you may specify to
keep or not).

Also, another solution may be a program that I believe (anyone please
correct me if I mistaken) is called PSPRINT which is in the TURBO PASCAL
directory of the SIMTEL archives.

Ed Murphy
User Services Department
University of New Orleans
BitNET: MEMCR@UNO

------------------------------

Date: Sat Feb 17 20:05:41 1990
From: fstarr@lognet2.af.mil (TSgt Frank Starr)
Subject: Looking for a floppy disk lock program

     I work as a mainframe operator where we copy a lot of info to 5 1/4"
DSDD 360K PC DOS compatible diskettes. One of our biggest problems is
getting users to return the diskettes for reuse.

     I thought of XCOPYING a lot of misc files to the disks to fill them,
then changing all file's attributes to read only, but the process takes
too long, as we have to work with about 20 disks a day.

     Does anyone know of a program which will make a floppy disk read
only? Perhaps something with password protection, so that the disks can
only be reused by someone with the program? We truly need SOMETHING so
folks return the diskettes, rather than treating them like chewing gum.

Frank Starr
fstarr@lognet2.af.mil

------------------------------
Subject: New Uploads:
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1990  12:32 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CC1053{A-C} correction

In a previous posting to Info-IBMPC [appeared 3 Feb 90], I announced the
upload of a program which was incorrectly described as being a C++
compiler.  It is really a preprocessor for Object-Oriented programming.  I
regret any inconvenience this may have caused for our readers.  The
corrected descriptions are:

Directory: PD1:<MSDOS.C>
 Filename   Type Length   Date   Description
CCC1053A.ARC  B   36508  900119  Complete C: learn/experiment w/OO systems,1of3
CCC1053B.ARC  B  227761  900119  Complete C: learn/experiment w/OO systems,2of3
CCC1053C.ARC  B  309945  900119  Complete C: learn/experiment w/OO systems,3of3

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------