Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/23/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 23 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  29

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          Building a RESET switch
                                 DOS 4.01
                                 FLUSHOT++
                    Looking for Jewish calendar program
                            Password Protection
                  PC-DOS 4.01 with DOS 3.3 HD Partitions
                               Micro as FAX?
               Problem in formating HD80MB with MS-DOS 4.01
                      Procomm242 and Kermit transfers
                      Selective Print Screen Program
                         undocumented Op in 80286?

Today's Queries:
                batch file inquiry: for batch file EXPERTS
                         IBM on Appletalk network
                          troubles with EASY-NET

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: 20 Feb 90 11:18:12 EST (Tue)
From: johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine)
Subject: Building a RESET switch

Building a reset switch for an IBM AT is very easy.  I did so in about
half an hour for $3.  The power supply puts out a +5 "power good" signal
that the motherboard uses to tell when it should reboot.  If you pull the
power good signal to ground for a moment, the motherboard will think it's
been reset and will reboot.  It turns out that the power good signal is at
one end of the motherboard power connector and a convenient ground is at
the other end.

I used a normally open pushbutton switch and a resistor of about 200-300
ohms, both from my local Radio Shack, putting them in series across the
power good and the ground.  You might be able to get by without the
resistor, but I thought it would avoid damage if someone put down a book
on top of the button.

To avoid making any permanent modifications to the AT, I put them in a kit
box and ran a cable from the box into the back of the AT.  It is quite
easy to fold over the ends of the wires from the switch and stuff them
into the back of the power connector to make a secure but easily removed
connection.  You could also drill a hole in the front panel of the AT at
one end and solder in the wires if you are so inclined.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 13:35:00 EST
From: Don Kazem <DKAZEM%NAS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: DOS 4.01

In reference to the entry about the DOS 4.01 in digest V90 #19, I have the
following to offer.

We have tested the IBM DOS 4.01 and it works fine, even with partitions
greater than 32 MB. However, it does have a problems with files that grow
beyond 32 MB. It trashs them.

The problem was reported to IBM, and they admitted the fault.  They have
sent us a fix, which I have not had the chance to try out yet.

To get this fix, you can call them at 800-237-5511. They would need your
IBM customer number, of course.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 90 11:39:00 EST
From: "CMSGT LARRY KELLY" <kellyl@gw2.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: FLUSHOT++

I have a program called Flushot + (short one plus sign), by an outfit
called Software Concepts Design.  Unfortunately the manual with the
address is home (no...really it is at home, honest) so I don't have the
address with me.  If its the one your interested in drop me a note and
I'll post the address.  Its a TSR that intercepts certain "potentially
nasty" operations and pops up a screen to verify whether the operation
should take place.  It is "tunable" in that you can tell it to ignore
certain calls or calls from certain programs otherwise it tends to go off
a lot ( Like any time you copy a .COM or .EXE file).  Seems to work as
designed, but in the world of computer viruses how can you keep up.....

                               USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY

- Larry Kelly

------------------------------

Date: 20 February 1990 19:00 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Looking for Jewish calendar program

In PC Digest V90N17, Raymond Erdey <RAYMOND@AUDUCVAX.BITNET> was looking
for a program to convert Hebrew and Julian dates.

I have a good shareware program that does what you need. It can be found
on Compuserve in the IBMSYS forum, library 7, under the name tjc.zip, or I
can send it to anyone who wants it. Drop me a note if you do.

Grant Hoover
University of Illinois at Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
Bitnet:      U26264@UICVM                                 .   .
Compuserve:  76370,314                                      .
GEnie:       G.HOOVER6                                    \___/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 11:18:42 +0100
From: frankt@cs.eur.nl (Frank van Tol)
Subject: Password Protection

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I've played a little
>with password protection programs available on SIMTEL-20. The best one (my
>opinion) is PCLOCK21.ARC which is a demo version of the 'real' program.
>...Putting a bootable disk in drive A: doesn't help, the system doesn't
>recognize that the hard disk it there.

>        PCLOCK21.ARC is on directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>.

>This program is low Shareware priced.  I warn you, do NOT use PCLOCK11.ARC
>which is also on this directory, on a DOS 3.3 (or higher?  and a few
>versions lower?). (The de-install program simply doesn't work (DOS 3.3)!.
>In my case, I had to re-format the hard disk......

Even when do you get this program installed, your computer is NOT SECURED!
It takes just a Norton diskdocter to break the protection.  You just
SEARCH for a partition table and `INSTALL' this table and you're through.
Drive c is accesible until you reboot.

-Frank van Tol

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 18:01 CET
From: Norbert Sommer <VAL044%DD0RUD81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PC-DOS 4.01 with DOS 3.3 HD Partitions

> PCDOS 4.01 did not accept the first drive (D:) of the extended HD partition
> installed with DOS 3.3.
> First partition (boot partition, drive C:) works.

The problem has been solved: The boot sector of C: contains the string
"IBM  3.3", the boot sector of D: contained "MSDOS3.3". Changing the last
string to "IBM  3.3" solved the problem!

Norbert Sommer
VAL044@DD0RUD81.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 15:50:03 pst
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: Micro as FAX?

From: Kalburgi Srinivas <SRINIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>

To convert a PC to a FAX machine, you need to install a FAX card.  You can
get a simple FAX card or a FAX/Modem/Voice Mail card or any combination in
between. The FAX card can only send what is in the computer. The card will
come with telecommunication software to use it. To read in hardcopy for
transmission, you need a scanner and a file conversion program.  The
scanner is normally NOT part of the FAX package but some sort of
conversion program should be. Received FAXs can be printed on the printer
although the quality of any graphics will depend on the printer.

			   Danny Low
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 15:50:03 pst
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: Problem in formating HD80MB with MS-DOS 4.01

From: MULLER%FRESE51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

 >I recently bought an HD Micropolis ST 506, (supposed to be 9 Heads/ 1023
 >cyl., for an unformated total size of 85 MB, or 76.5 once formated).
 >First, I set the SETUP on the right type of HD: I guess it's type 35.

According to my notes, 9 heads/1023 cylinders is type 26. Type 35 is 16
heads/611 cylinders. This could be the cause of the problems. His problem
symptons is indicative of what happens when a wrong drive type is given.

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 20:31:56 EST
From: guillory%storm.dnet@east.GSFC.NASA.GOV (ANTHONY R. GUILLORY)
Subject: Procomm242 and Kermit transfers

In Volume 90 number 22 Oscar Manley, manley@csam.lbl.gov, writes:

>I have procomm242 which I find quite satisfactory for almost all my
>limited communication needs.  However I have not been able to use the
>built in kermit.
> ...What I do not find in the procomm manual is how to return to my
>pc, after doing "send file" at the distant host.  The usual escape command
>^]c does not seem to work.  Any ideas?

To return to the PC while using Procomm, simply hit PGDN (page down).  It
will then present you with a menu of the various protocols.  Select Kermit
and that's it.  To upload a file, use "receive filename" on the host and
then hit PGUP (page up) and again select Kermit as the transfer protocol
of choice.   Although I'll admit that I've had some trouble getting
Procomm's Kermit to work with VAX/VMS's Kermit.

Anthony R. Guillory
Internet:   Guillory@storm.dnet.nasa.gov
CompuServe: 73427,2515
FidoNet:    Anthony Guillory @ 1:3605/48

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 90 12:07:00 EST
From: "CMSGT LARRY KELLY" <kellyl@gw2.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Selective Print Screen Program

Posting in INFO-IBM V90,#21 looking for a selective print screen .....

You might try "Snipper". You can find it in PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>SNIPPR21.ARC.
It is a TSR that allows you to hot key in, mark a section of the screen,
and take it to a file or THE PRINTER.  Can't guarantee it will work in your
environment but I access a VAX running VMS via hardwire LAN using a Z-248
and it comes up just fine.  Good Luck.

                               Usual Disclaimers apply
- Larry Kelly

------------------------------

Date: 19 February 1990 24:00 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: undocumented Op in 80286?

Recently <hl351ge%unidui.uucp@unido.bitnet> asked for information on the
LOADALL operation.

I have a file with detailed information on the LOADALL operation, and I
think it has some or all of the information he's looking for, but I can't
be sure because I don't understand a lot of the information in the file. I
read about the LOADALL operation on a listserv (it might have been PC
Digest, I don't recall), and since I'm trying to learn assembler, I asked
someone who said he had this file to send it to me. He very kindly did. He
was not the author of the information, but rather found it somewhere else.
He said that you can find an example of its use in the sources of HIMEM
(file XMS20.ARC of SIMTEL20).

If anyone would like this file, drop me a note.

Date: 20 Feb 90 22:53:13 GMT
From: igor!aeras!andrew@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Ward)
Subject: batch file inquiry: for batch file EXPERTS

Does anyone know how to pause during the execution of a batch file such
that a user can enter something that then becomes part of a command line
in a subsequent command? Is there a way thin input can be directed to an
environment variable?

email would best, but a general posting might also be good for others.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 16:37 EDT
From: Mary Lou Frey <MLFREY@rcca.bbn.com>
Subject: IBM on Appletalk network

I have a Leading Edge Model D circa 1985 I would like to hook into an
existing AppleTalk network in order to use the postscript printer.  In the
past month or so I recall seeing an advertisement for an add-in board
which connects a PC to AppleTalk.  Naturally I cannot find that ad
anywhere.  Does anybody know about this product or better yet have used
it?  I appreciate any and all info.  Thanks.

Mary Lou Frey

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 09:19:24 MEZ
From: Walter BLOCHER <RDATBA%AWIWUW11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: troubles with EASY-NET

At our departement we want to share a HP-Laserjet II by two PS/2 Mod. 60
and to transfer some files between them every now and then. As, with a few
to our small annual budget, we don't think we should treat ourselves with
a "real" LAN by now, we were very happy to read in the documentation of
<MSDOS.LAN>EASY-NET.  ARC that this software will allow to share programs,
disk drives, Ram disks and printers connected to either machine via the
RS-232-interface using a so called null-modem. Apparently just the right
solution for our needs| You can imagine our disappointment when we tried
to run the program and the only result was the message "Please Wait..."
before the computer hung up. We are quite sure to have carefully followed
the installation and setup-instructions, and the connection between the
computers works fine with other programs that need a null modem. We've
also tested EASY-NET on an IBM AT - unfortunately with the same
disappointing result.

If anybody has made a more successful experience with EASY-NET or could
recommend us another shareware-program for our purposes we would be very
grateful for a small note.

With many thanks in advance and best regards from Vienna

Walter Blocher (RDATBA @ AWIWUW11.BITNET)

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------