Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/25/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 24 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  31

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            Animation Software!
                            File txfer problems
                             LocalTalk for MCA
                               Micro as FAX?
                 Responding to Strange Domain Style names
                      Problems with lithium batteries
                      ProComm242 kermit file transfer
                    PS/2 keyboard on an AT (responses)
                           Rebooting the IBM PC
                            Recycling diskettes

Today's Query:
                    Microsoft Windows 386 version 2.11

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 13:18:00 PST
From: follis@marlin.nosc.mil (Stan Follis)
Subject: Animation Software!

I have been using CRYSTAL 3-D for about 2 years and it should do what you
want to do, however it may be over kill.  It is a 3-D modeling and
animation program which runs on a 80286 or 80386 machine with TARGA or
VISTA graphics card and a LYON LAMB MINI VAS video tape controller.

The animation function is quite sophisticated and allows for editing the
motion paths of the objects, lights, camera and many other aspects of the
scene.  Recording can be done in wire-frame mode as well as in preview and
final render modes.  It is not a real time recording system, i.e. each
image is created and then the recorder records the predetermined number of
frames and the process starts over again.  There is a mode to output to
disk, but I have not tried this.

The modeling function is very complete and even allows for metamorphosis
of shapes, if created with splines.  The distributor is TIME-ARTS INC.,
1425 Corporate Center Parkway, Santa Rosa, CA 95407 (707)576-7722.

I would be very much interested in learning of any other programs out
there which do this type of work on either a PC, AMIGA, ATARI or
MACINTOSH.  I have found CRYSTAL 3-D very powerful, but not intuitive or
user friendly.

Disclaimer:I have no financial interest in CRYSTAL 3-D or
TIME ARTS INC. and I am sure they have no interest in me.

Stan Follisfollis@nosc.mil(619)553-4869

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 02:35:33 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: File txfer problems

Have you given the following command to the Unix kermit?

SET FILE TYPE BINARY

You don't have to do anything with your PC kermit, the remote Kermit will
transfer the proper codes.

Have you also done a

TENEX

command to your user FTP process?  If this doesn't work, try a BINARY
command to FTP, followed by a QUOTE TYPE 8 L to Simtel20.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 13:49:12 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: LocalTalk for MCA

We have been using a LocalTalk board from:

     DayStar Digital
     5556 Atlanta Highway
     Flowery Branch, GA   30542
     (404) 967-2077
     Fax: (404) 967-3018
     To find nearest dealer: (800) 962-2077

I wasn't fully involved with the decision, so I don't know price or
alternatives.  We've had it since last summer, but don't use it heavily.
Thus, I don't have strong opinions.  The manual was difficult to decipher,
but not needed once the board was installed.  Otherwise, about all I can
say is it works.  The board is in an IBM PS/2 Model 80.  We use it so we
can run TOPS to pass files to and from a Macintosh SE.  (TOPS runs in the
OS/2 "DOS box", with care.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed Feb 21 23:49:27 1990
From: aprm!gd@shafter-emh2.army.mil
Subject: Micro as FAX?

Text:

I have set up a Hayes JT-FAX 4800 here at the Resource Management office
at WESTCOM.  Our experience has been:

1. Excellent operation to local (on island) machines.

2. Mixed results with long distance.  Fairly good exchanges with a machine
at the pentagon, excellent with Intel's automated information system,
lousey to Alaska and Japan.  Culprits seem to be phone line quality and
old FAX equipment at those sites.  An Omnifax 35 in our building gets
through to those machines, but rate is very slow.  Ours just gives up.
Hayes is working with us on it.

3. Excellent tech support from Hayes.

4. Faxes can be scanned on a supported scanner, or a PCX graphic file, or
an ASCII text file.  I think of the JT-FAX as a printer with the driver on
my PC and the print mechinism at the other end of the phone line.
Built-in fonts are clear, more readable than any standard FAX.

5. Supports good number of printers.  Output on FX-100 class is readable,
HP LaserJet II fantastic.  And it's real paper, not that slimy stuff.  FAX
files can be viewed on screen, with zoom and pan.

6. The software is a hugh (140K) TSR, rendering the host PC unusable for
many things.  While FAXes are being processed the board "takes over" the
machine.  The Intel communications co-processor does not suffer this flaw.
The JT-FAX 9600 may also get around that (anybody know?).

7. The software cannot be run with MS Windows or Enable.

8. The Admin lady who's machine it's in hates it because it interupts her
work.  Solution might be to put it on independent PC, but that eliminates
the cost savings.

9. Our users still think of a FAX like a photocopier, a machine to stick a
piece of paper into.  It would be easier for them to use a common FAX
machine than to fiddle with the PC and scanner.  I am virtually alone in
prefering to go from text file to FAX.  Sigh.

Hope this helps.

Gary Dunn, WESTCOM DCSRM IMO                 |
Ft. Shafter LAN: aprm!gd               _   _ |
DDN: aprm%gd@shafter-emh2.army.mil    /.\ /.\|
Work phone:  (808) 438-2716           \_/|\_/
FAX: (808) 438-8954                      |
                                        /
In the game of life it's a good idea to have a few early
losses, which relieves you of the pressure of trying to
maintain an undefeated season.
		Bill Vaughan

Date: Wed Feb 21 23:49:27 1990
From: aprm!gd@shafter-emh2.army.mil

> (I tried replying directly to Kalburgi Srinivas but it bounced right
> back with "unknown domain "ca".  Just how does one route mail from DDN
> to an address like SRINIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca?)

I WAS just going to delete this paragraph from your response (or perhaps
just put the answer in the text of your original response...) but on
thinking about it, thought I should answer both you and the net since I've
had my share of this type of response in the past few months.  This
problem is caused by the proliferation of gateway hosts.  The BITNET host
'knows' what gateway is logically closest to the Internet, but YOUR host
may not recognize the new gateway.  (Perhaps you should talk to your host
administrator and ask him to make more frequent updates to the host tables
stored on your machine.  This may not work since MOST MILnet hosts do not
support DOMAIN style addressing yet.)

How do you reply to such an address?  One sends the reply through the
'official' BITNET gateway: CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU.  For example:  your response
would go to <SRINNIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>.

The USENET gateway is: @UUNET.UU.NET.  There are other hosts, but this one
has been in the tables for a long time and is PROBABLY recognized
everywhere.  Users at USENET hosts have addresses of the form:
<host!host!host!user>.

Hope this helps.

Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 16:43:56 EST
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: Problems with lithium batteries

While I have never used one, there is a company which markets a device called
`last bat' or something like that.  It is a rechargable nickle cad battery
which is hooked into the motherboard power supply and thus is recharged any
time the system is running.  As batteries currently last you almost a year the
circuit is probably working well enough to keep from running this type down
over a few weeks or so.  Thus running your machine once a month would probably
keep it going.

David Zielke
zielke@physics.phy.duke.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 11:24:58 +0200
From: Guy Sirton <MLSIRTON%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: ProComm242 kermit file transfer

Under procomm you do not need to "return to your PC" like when using
kermit.  Procomm receives commands via special keystrokes which in your
case will probably be hitting the PageDown (for file download) and then
selecting Kermit from the protocols menu.  Also ALT-F10 (i think) should
give you more help.

Guy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 12:42:41 CST
From: Don Kleinmuntz <DKLEIN@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: PS/2 keyboard on an AT (responses)

Exactly a month ago I sent out a request for information about the
prospects for attaching a PS/2 keyboard with a 6-pin DIN connector to an
AT-compatible, which requires a 5-pin connector.  I received a number of
helpful (if conflicting) responses.  Here is the story. There appear to be
three alternatives:

(1) Obtain an appropriate adapter. One reported source: Northgate Computer
System (1-800-548-1993).  I did not investigate this option, though there
seems to be some confusion about whether the adapters go from din-6 to
din-5 (which I need) or the reverse (which seem to be more readily
available).

(2) The do-it-yourself solution: Take an existing cable, cut off the din-6
connector, and solder on a din-5 connector.  John Watters
(JWATTERS@UA1VM.BITNET) provided the following information:

  IBM PC keyboard interface:          Pins are numbered clockwise from key
        Pin 1 - keyboard clock        in the order 1 4 2 5 3
            2 - keyboard data
            3 - keyboard reset
            4 - ground
            5 - +5V

  IBM PS/2 keyboard interface:        Pins are numbered clockwise from key
        Pin 1 - data                  in the order 5 3 1 2 4 6
            2 - reserved
            3 - ground
            4 - +5V
            5 - clock
            6 - reserved

(3) I in fact selected the most obvious, most convenient, though perhaps
most costly solution: I called up IBM directly (1-800-IBM-2468) and
ordered the appropriate cable (listed on the box as item #6447051).  Cost:
$40 (approx).

Thanks for your help.

               Don N. Kleinmuntz
 High-tech:    DKLEIN@UIUCVMD.BITNET
            or DKLEIN@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU
 Medium-tech:  (217) 333-0694
 Low-tech:     Program in Judgment/Decision Making
               Department of Accountancy
               208 Commerce Building (West)
               1206 South Sixth Street
               Champaign, IL 61820

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 20:48:29 GMT
From: mathrich@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Rich Winkel)
Subject: Rebooting the IBM PC

In digest "S.M. Clarke" <smc7%eleceng.bradford.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK> writes:

>I am writing in response to two earlier queries in your BB letter.
>1) Rebooting the IBMPC
>	This is quite simple to do in machine code.  Most IBMs will reboot when
>the INT 0FFh machine instruction is issued. This will cause a cold reboot.
>To do a warm reboot, issue the machine language instruction INT 019h (But
>be warned .. if you have a ramdisk running in the first 640K of memory, it
>may not be removed).  The final method and the most unorthadox is a JMP
>FFFF:0000.  Which will jump directly into the system's ROM.

This is incorrect.  The most reliable and compatible way to do a reboot is
to JMP FFFF:0000.  INT FF is not defined on a true blue PC!  Perhaps
you're using a clone which has it pointing to the correct code, but this
is not to be relied on in general.  In fact, the CPU chip is wired to jump
to FFFF:0000 at power on; that's about the ultimate in compatibility.  INT
19 is NOT designed to be used to reboot the machine .. chances are good
you'll hang it up instead.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 16:54:18 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Recycling diskettes

On Sat Feb 17 20:05:41 1990 fstarr@lognet2.af.mil (TSgt Frank Starr) asked
if there was any to get users to return diskettes...

>     I work as a mainframe operator where we copy a lot of info to 5 1/4"
>DSDD 360K PC DOS compatible diskettes. One of our biggest problems is
>getting users to return the diskettes for reuse.

I would suggest charging a returnable cash deposit for the diskettes, like
the one used in some jurisdictions for bottles.

Any software remedy is doomed to failure, for a user can reformat the
diskette, once he has copied the contents somewhere else.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 12:51 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX4.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Microsoft Windows 386 version 2.11

I'm running windows 386 version 2.11 along with hdc windows express.  When
I try to format a diskette in drive A:, it comes back and says can't format
diskette.  I'm running a PS/2 55SX with Dos 4.01.  The format command from
Dos works great.  Anyone have any ideas?

Terry lewis
TLEWIS@UTKVX

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------