Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/25/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 25 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  33

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          Assert problem solved!
                        Re:  Assert problem solved!
                            4DOS 2.1 available
                      File Transfer problems (2 msgs)
                    X-Windows Servers on PC's (2 msgs)
                             X-Windows for DOS
                        laser printer for an IBM XT
                                MCA vendors
               Network Information, reliable sources needed
                          Russian word processor
                      Selective screen print program
                             Word for Windows

Today's Queries:
          More than 20+ Files Open in FORTRAN and/or C Possible?
                                 SigmaPlot
                  Hard Disk Still Usable if Track 0 Bad?

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Fri Feb 23 18:38:40 1990
From: <microsoft!toddw@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
Subject: Re:  Assert problem solved!

QC 2.00 shipped with a special version of the assert.h include file to
aid debugging in the interactive environment.  If you look in assert.h
you should find a section:

#ifdef _QC
#endif

_QC is defined if you are compiling with qc 2.0 [which you are].  It places
and _asm int 3 in your source code, so that when debugging from within the
environment, when you hit the assert, the int 3 signals to the debugger
to position you on that line of source code.  There are a couple of
work-arounds

  - use -Za with the -u switch (un-define pre-defined identifiers)*
    or -U_QC to just turn off definition of _QC.

  - use -Za and place an "#undef _QC" in your code before you include
    <assert.h>

  - remove the #ifdef _QC section from assert.h

  - don't use -Za

thanks for your patience.
Todd Warren
Program Manager MSC

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 00:18:14 EST
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: Assert problem solved!

Thank you much for finding an explanation of the difficulty which I was
having.  This solves the problem completely.

I will forward a copy of your reply to info-ibmpc.  You will be happy to
know that I have had very little difficulty with code which migrates from
my 386 machine to Sun sytems and to Butterfly multiple processor machines.

One other question, I may end up doing some mixed-language Programming
where I need to incorporate Fortran routines into the program.  I have
looked at the mixed language programming guide which came with Microsoft
Macro Assembler 5.1, will I have any difficulty with either the integrated
environment or qcl in using those techniques.  Also, is there a
requirement about which version of the Microsoft Fortran compiler I must
use?

  Thank you again for your help.

    David M. Zielke

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 1:40:05 EST
From: udecc!udcps3!udcps2!sobol@afit-ab.arpa
Subject: 4DOS 2.1 available

In v90 #27 of the Digest, Justin Smith mentions 4DOS. Release 2.1 of this
program (a COMMAND.COM replacement) is available on Gizmo's Place BBS,
513-229- 1913, 7E1, 3/12/2400 baud. I also have it. I've used it for a few
days and I am impressed with it.

Steve Sobol | Founders Hall #318, U. of Dayton, Dayton, OH 45469
Internet:    sobol@udcps2.cps.udayton.edu  or steven.sobol@afitamy.fidonet.org
UUCP:     ...!uunet!dayvb!udcps3!udcps2!sobol or !uunet!dayvb!afitamy!sobol
OhioBellNet: (513) 229-1913  FAX  (513) 228-3960

------------------------------

Date: Sat Feb 24 02:42:59 1990
From: johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil (John Boyd)
Subject: File Transfer problems

Yes, I did both of those things.  As I said; the transfer from the source
FTP machine to the Unix machine here goes fine.  The problem occurs when I
try to transfer the file from the Unix machine I am logged into down to my
PC.  THAT'S when the file size changes, and the 'corruption is introduced.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 01:56:52 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Is it possible to get a 'logfile' of your session?  Could I look at it?
Who is the mfgr mfgr of your FTP process?  Where are you trying to
transfer FROM?  What type of OS is it running?  What is the OS on the
system you transfer from to go to your PC?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 08:50:31 MST
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: X-Windows Servers on PCs

See (a) PC Week 7.7 (2/18/90) for an article on the use of DOS extenders
to permit X-Windows servers on PCs.

The following message originated on USENET.  (Note that it was submitted as
information by a maker of one of the products mentioned.)

Neither of these constitutes an endorsement by myself or my employers.  I
just happened to have noticed these items just before I saw the enquiry on
Info-IBMPC.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:15:27
From: fks@ftp.com (Frances Selkirk)
Subject: X-Windows for DOS

A number of companies have implemented X servers which use PC/TCP (FTP
Software's TCP/IP package) to run on DOS. Here are the ones I have numbers
for:

Hewlett-Packard makes an X server called "AXDS\PC".  For information,
contact your Hewlett-Packard sales representitive or:

         Hewlett-Packard Panacom Automation Division
         20 Lexington Road
         Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2J 3Z3
         519-886-5320.

Hummingbird makes an X server called "HCL-eXceed".  For information
contact:

         Hummingbird
         2900 John Street, Unit 4
         Markham, Ontario, Canada  L3R 5G3
         416-470-1203

Graphic Software Systems makes an X server called "PC-Xview".  For
information contact:

         Graphic Software Systems
         9590 SW Gemini Drive
         Beaverton, OR  97005
         503-641-2200

Pitsburgh Powercomputing, has an X Server  (name unknown) Contact:

        Sales
        (800) 326-4025
        (412) 231-3000
        FAX (412) 231-0305

VisionWare makes an X server called "XVision".  For information, contact:

         VisionWare
         PO Box 3991
         Minneapolis, MN 55405,
         612-377-3627

I know there are at least a few others.

                                                -Frances Selkirk
                                                 FTP Software, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: 24 February 1990 02:13 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: laser printer for an IBM XT

In PC Digest V90N15, Chris Chung <CHRIS@brown.brown.edu> asked about a
laser printer and fonts for more than one computer and application.

You're best bet for compatibility with several different software packages
is to stick with Hewlett-Packard LaserJet Series II compatible printers,
among which the HP itself is a very good choice. It's guaranteed to be
compatible, so that battle has already been won, and it has a lot else
going for it, too. For a comparison of laser printers and a discussion of
what qualities serve different purposes, check out the November 15, 1989
issue of PC Magazine. This is the magazine's annual printer roundup issue.
This issue reviews the LaserJet Series IIP and IID, but not the II, as
this model was not either new or substantially modified in the year prior
to the article. The LaserJet Series II can be found in the November 10,
1987 printer roundup. The printer issue for the intervening year was in
the October 31, 1988 issue, in case you want to look at those, too.

As for compatibility with individual software products, if they support
any laser printer, it should be this one (and those compatible with it).
Check the software's documentation or call the manufacturer to determine
what printers are supported.

The LaserJet does not necessarily need a different cartridge for each
font.  Most cartridges from HP itself contain several related fonts, and
cartridges from other manufacturers hold many. "25-in-One" and "Headlines
in a Cartridge" from Pacific Data Products (619-552-0880), and "Super
Cartridge 1" and "Super Cartridge 2" from IQ Engineering (408-733-1161)
are examples of these. A brief but good comparison of "25-in-One" and
"Super Cartridge 1" appears on page 48 of the November 15, 1988 issue of
PC Magazine. A more substantial review of "Super Cartridge 1" can be found
on page 56 of the October, 1989 issue of Personal Publishing magazine. The
most comprehensive comparison of font cartridges I've seen appears on page
217 of the June 13, 1989 issue of PC Magazine. This issue has a suite of
articles on fonts of all sorts, and is worth finding if you need to make
some purchasing decisions.

Another option you have is soft fonts. These are files on your hard drive
that are sent to the printer by the software doing the printing (if it
supports soft fonts). These offer greater flexibility at the expense of
printing speed and disk space. You can put more soft fonts on a hard drive
than you can find in a cartridge, but they're going to hog megabytes, and
they need to be sent to the printer when they are used. This might take a
couple of seconds or a couple of minutes depending on the size of the font
and your hardware. SoftCraft (800-351-0500) offers a large selection of
pre-made bitmapped soft fonts.

Another flexibility advantage offered by soft fonts can be gained when you
use a soft font generator. The idea is this: Instead of buying a bunch of
soft fonts on a disk in predetermined sizes, you can use a generator to
create fonts in the sizes you want. You need a generator program, and
outline files for each typeface you want to generate. Some programs let
you specify other characteristics of the fonts, too, such as slant, fill
patter, etc. Bitstream (800-522-3668) offers the best quality soft fonts
available for the LaserJet and compatibles, and Digi-Fonts (800-242-5665)
offers what is probably the best price per font ratio with good quality,
too.

The June 13, 1989 issue of PC Magazine has articles on pre-made soft
fonts, font generators, other utilities you might find useful now or
later, and a general introduction to fonts on page 206. An older article
on soft fonts in general appears on page 393 of the November 10, 1987
issue of PC Magazine. Another good discussion of soft and hard fonts for
the LaserJet, and a comparison with Postscript, is on page 26 of Personal
Publishing's June, 1989 issue.

The simplest and least expensive approach to accessing one printer from
two computers without switching cables by hand is a switch box. You simply
turn a knob to connect the printer to the computer that is about to print.
E-Tronics makes these, and they are available for $15 - $35 at Elek-Tek
(708-677-7660) near Chicago and a lot of other places. This can get
tedious fast, so you might want to look into boxes that switch
automatically to the computer doing the printing and buffer the print jobs
of other computers that start up while the first is still going. IMC/Data
Manager makes some of these. They cost between $350 and $600, depending on
how many computers and printers you want to hook up and what kind of
cabling you want to use.  These are also available at Elek-Tek. I've never
used any of these, so I can't make any recommendations.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|                        .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|                          \___/

Grant Hoover  *  University of Illinois at Chicago  * Bitnet u26264@uicvm
Internet u26264@uicvm.cc.uic.edu * CompuServe 76370,314 * GEnie G.HOOVER6

------------------------------

Date: 24 February 1990 02:30 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: MCA vendors

In PC Digest V90N15, David J. Camp <david@wubios.wustl.edu> asked for
information on manufacturers of MCA equipment.

Back in March of 1988, Personal Computing magazine published a guide to
MCA add-in boards and their manufacturers. The article is called "What's
New In Third-Party Micro Channel Add-In Boards" and appears on page 132 of
that issue. While it might seem that this is a little out of date, the
article was actually jumping the gun on a lot of the manufacturers. That
is, many of them had announced or were planning MCA products, but hadn't
delivered yet. So by now, if all went well for those companies, the
article should be more accurate than it was when it was published.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|                        .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|                          \___/

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 22:30:52 EST
From: Dave_Padgitt@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Network Information, reliable sources needed

>From: taclgqp@lognet2.af.mil (Cpt Glen Marumoto)
>
>Can anyone out there point me in the right direction for finding info
>about the different "nets" out there.  I have been reading this
>publication for a year now and have seen INTERNET, FIDONET, BITNET, and
>whateverNET.  What are these?  How do you get stuff to them?  Help!!!
>
>[Take a look in the Sept/Oct 88 Issue of "Communications of the ACM".
>They have a VERY good discussion of "Notable Networks".  gph]

Are you sure that this is the correct information?  I searched high and
low and was unable to find any such article in "Communications of the
ACM" (CACM).  What is the exact title of the article, page numbers, etc.?
Thanks.

[My error.  I was working from memory and I apologize.  The issue in
question was the October '86 issue of CACM, Vol 29, #10, pp 932-971.
The exact title was "Notable Computer Networks", written by John S.
Quarterman and Josiah C. Hoskins.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 24 February 1990 02:39 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Russian word processor

In PC Digest V90N19 Claude Daoust
<CDAOUST%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> asked about Russian word
processing.

WordPerfect's language support has always been pretty good, and it just
got a lot better with the latest version of the program, 5.1. Any
characters, be they foreign language, math, etc., that can not be printed
by the printer and font combination being used will be created graphically
by WordPerfect, as long as the printer supports graphics. Give WordPerfect
a call at 800-851-4572. They'll know more about their product's support
for the Russian language in particular.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|                        .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|                          \___/

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 16:11 EST
From: <EDHARRIS%CTSTATEU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Selective screen print program

There is a terrific program called SNIPPER available through PC Magazine's
PC Magnet.  It was printed in the mag back in Oct '87 with a correction in
Jan '88.  It allows you to capture any part of the screen and print it,
copy it at the cursor, save it to a file, or save it (I don't know where)
to paste into another program.  It's a TSR on my pc that works fine for me
when I'm emulating a terminal and using our Vax.  Good luck with it.

--Ed.

Edward C. Harris, Academic Affairs
Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT 06515 USA
(203) 397-4320, (203) 397-4207 (Fax)

------------------------------

Date: FRI, 23 FEB 90 14.04.43  EDT
From: "Mark S. Domalewski" <URPC%MARISTC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Word for Windows

Having read over Steven Timm's question concerning Microsoft Word for
Windows, I can provide the following answers to some of his questions.

1 - If you have 1 MB or less of memory, as I do (using a 50Z with 1 MB),
if you have any other windows applications that require major amounts
loaded up, I have found that you get "Unable to update display" errors
when performing major alterations to the text displayed on the screen.
So, I have found it is best to only have Word running when I am windows
and close it if I need to run anything else.

2 - Word for Windows comes with Run-Time windows, which is a subset of the
standard Windows 2.11 version.  This subset provides the minimum windows
environment that Word needs to run.  It is not a full blown version, so
when you exit Word, you will exit the Run-Time windows also for it won't
do much more than give you directories.

I hope these answers have been of some assistance to you.  I am sending
copies to both you and the list in case anyone else has similar questions
as you.

Later,
Mark D.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 11:22 CST
From: <T8505011%TWNTUCC1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: More than 20+ Files Open in FORTRAN and/or C Possible?

   Can anyone tell me how to open more than 15 files simultaneously in
files compiled by Microsoft FORTRAN 4_1 and/or Microsoft C 5_1.  If the
execution files are compiled and linked by the above two compiler, there
can open 20 files on each program.  But each program open 5 files in the
beginning and leaves 15 files to let users open them.  I have tried the
following 4 methods and failed.

1. Use FILES102.ARC from Simtel's PD1:<MSDOS> directory. It seems
FILES.COM just have the same effect as increases the FILES=XXX in
CONFIG.SYS and reboots.

2. Use HANDLE20.ARC from Simtel's PD1:<MSDOS> directory. Its samples
execution file works. But it cannot work correctly with the files produced
by MS Fortran 4.1 or C 5.1.

3. Use MFILE.ASM from Simtel's PD1:<MSDOS.C> directory. The information in
this file says it works with MS C 3.0. But it malfunctions with MS C 5.1.
My sample program works correctly when open, but leave only first 15 files
on my disk and the rest files disappear.

4. From the disks of Microsoft, there is a sub-directory called 'startup'.
And it contains a file 'crt0dat.asm'. In this file, the constant '_NFILE_'
seems to define the number of files that can be simultaneously opened,
because I cannot find any information about files in MS's manuals. But
after I change its value to larger and assemble it and then relink my
object file, it works the same except the size of execution file are
longer.

   Could anyone on this forum help me to solve this problem? It seems this
restriction not cause by OS but by the compiler. The operation system I
tried are OS/2 1.0, MS DOS 3.3 and 4.0, but OS/2 is favorable. BTW, does
anyone know that MS Fortran 4.1 supports DLL in OS/2?

Yin-Hsin Chen
T8505011@TWNTUCC1.BITNET
Department of Naval Architecture
National Taiwan University

[The number of files open at any one time is NOT a Fortran or C limitation,
but one imposed by DOS.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 15:57:26 CST
From: Hsin Chi <DN6A1004%TWNMOE10.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: SigmaPlot

Does anyone know the company address and price of the software SigmaPlot?
Please send me your comments. Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 11:44:35 SST
From: CCEYEOYT%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Hard Disk Still Usable if Track 0 Bad?

Does anyone know if a harddisk can still be used if its track 0 (where the
partition table & boot sector are stored) is bad ? If it is possible,
kindly enlighten me as how this can be done.  Thanks.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------