Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/01/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 28 Feb 90       Volume 90 : Issue  35

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                                Flushot ++
                         IBM on Appletalk network
                       FidoNet Technical Information
                           Kermit and Procomm242
               Problems with toshiba portable external drive
                             Word for Windows
                         WordPerfect File Headers

Today's Queries:
                       IBM and Apple Imagewriter II
                Large Colour Monitors, very high resolution
                      PD C and/or C++ compiler wanted
                          VPIX and Microsoft WORD

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of the
BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the PC-Blue
collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download Central
network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple lines that
support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a subscription
system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It is also
accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New
files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: 27 February 1990 03:03 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Flushot ++

<7834510%TWNCTU01.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> asked about Flushot ++ by HJC.

Could this be Flushot Plus by Software Concepts Design? If so, that company
can be reached at

    Software Concepts Design
    Ross M. Greenburg
    594 Third Av.
    New Tork, NY 10016
    BBS: (212) 889-6438

This is a shareware product.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|   .   .
|   ___ |     <   /  ^  \  |      |   |  |       .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|     \___/

Grant Hoover   *   University of Illinois at Chicago
Bitnet  u26264@uicvm     *     CompuServe  76370,314
Internet u26264@uicvm.cc.uic.edu  *  GEnie G.HOOVER6

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:17:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas James Menner, Jr." <tm11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: IBM on Appletalk network

Mary Lou Frey <MLFREY@rcca.bbn.com> writes:
> I have a Leading Edge Model D circa 1985 I would like to hook into an
> existing AppleTalk network in order to use the postscript printer.
> Naturally I cannot find that ad anywhere.  Does anybody know about this
> product or better yet have used it?  I appreciate any and all info.  Thanks.

In our department here at CMU we use Apple LocalTalk boards to connect PCs,
ATs and compatibles to AppleTalk networks.  The boards cost about $160 or so,
and they seem to run okay (though perhaps a little slow).  I think they
designate themselves as being a COM port, so they can sometimes cause
problems if you have multiple COM ports.

Thomas Menner			||   ARPA: tm11@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie-Mellon University	|| BITNET: tm11%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
Pittsburgh, PA			||   UUCP: psuvax1!andrew.cmu.edu!tm11

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 09:55 EST
From: "Bill Weinel" <WWH%NCCIBM1.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: FidoNet Technical Information

> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 14:49:08 est
> From: KAHN%void.mceo.dg.com@RELAY.CS.NET
>
>   Can someone on the net please tell me where I can get some technical
> information about the FidoNet protocols and organization.
>
>                                    Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

Bruce,
    FidoNet Technical Specifications (FTS) papers are available from a number
of fidonet member BBS systems. One that I know of (mine) is 1:151/121 whose
phone number is (919) 781-4203. However, you may be able to obtain these
files on a fidonet system closer to you. Most fidonet bbs systems which are
SDS (software distribution system) member nodes will probably have them as
they are distributed that way. Get a copy of the fidonet nodelist (can be
found on every fidonet board as NODELIST.A??) and look for nodes with the
USDS flag at the end of their listing. The central source for all fidonet
technical standards is 1:1/20, Fido_Tech_Stand at (708)-799-4790. You'll find
everything there.

                                                 TWYL  Bill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 16:58:57 PST
From: manley@csam.lbl.gov (Oscar Manley [ams doe])
Subject: Kermit and Procomm242

Concerning kermit in Procomm242, since posting the original query I came to
realize that the problem is limited to the IBM pc-convertible.  For some
reason, using the same actual diskette with the procomm works fine (both up
and down loading) on all other IBM pc's,at's,xt's, and ps/2's.  On the
convertible, the upload works like a charm; but when I try to download with
the kermit in procomm, after a few moments of grinding away, I get the
message "Can't open file", and I am returned to the distant kermit
(vax/unix).  Has anyone else had similar experience?  Thanx to all those who
have tried to help to date!  Oscar M.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 09:26 N
From: <CAPPELLE%HROEUR51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with toshiba portable external drive

Barry Moody signaled a problem with the external drive of a toshiba portable
pc.

One of my colleges had the same sort of problems with a Olivetti M240. He
reported strange error messages and corrupted fats and directories on his
floppy disks (both his A: and B: 360K drives).

We found out that his problem was the way in which he inserted his floppy
disks in his machine. My college is a person who does everything in a hurry
so he putted his disk in the drive and immediately closed the drive door
without waiting for the click of the disk drive (to signal that insertion is
ok).

By now he inserts his disks and put the disk far enough in the drive to hear
the click, at this moment you can loose the disk and it should stay in the
drive. Than he closes the drive door and had no problems ever since.  He had
this problem only with his M240 at home and never with the Olivetti M24's at
work, so I think some drives are more sensitive to this problem than others.

Hope this will help to solve your problem.

Gert van Cappellen
Erasmus University Rotterdam
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: 26 February 1990 12:36:53 CST
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Word for Windows

The extra memory would probably be used as a swap space.  Only a portion of
the actual document is in RAM below 640K, the remainder is loaded above 1M
and when that gets full, the rest is on the harddrive in a 'swap' area. The
less memory you have, the more the hard drive is used ( therefore slower
response time).

Most (if not all) windows application required Windows to run.

The only difference between the Academic version and the regular version is
that the Academic version has less written documentation (this is true with
most MicroSoft products).  That's not to say you get a 5 page doc.  on how to
install; the Academic version of Word 4 had a 200+ manuel (I haven't seen
Word for Windows docs. yet)

------------------------------

Date: 27 February 1990 02:56 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: WordPerfect File Headers

Jonathon Block <JBLOCK%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> asked about WordPerfect
file headers.

WordPerfect Corp. would be happy to sell you a developer's kit that includes
file format information. I don't have any information on the cost, so you
might want to give them a call.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|   .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|     \___/

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 22:41 EST
From: "Achh, Who wants to set pers's anyway?" <IUGC500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU>
Subject: IBM and Apple Imagewriter II

Hello everybody.....

	I FINALLY managed to get my IBM and my Imagewriter to talk to one another.
Now my question is

	Is there a TSR type of program out there that will convert the character
escape sequences of one printer, into the sequences used by the imagewriter,
assuming that characters get printed via the BIOS routines?

Thanx
David Holland
IUGC500@INDYVAX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 16:06 MST
From: kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker)
Subject: Large Colour Monitors, very high resolution

Hi all, I need to get some info about monitor and cards that will help
alleviate some visual difficulties.  My ophthalmologist has told me that I
have some <long latin name> problem which will reduce my visual clarity (i.e.
everything is kinda fuzzy), and my ability to resolve small differences (i.e.
on a computer screen a lot of the small letters look the same, e.g. e c o a u
and l i 1).  This is making life difficult as I spend an average of about 9
hours a day on the computer.  Luckily, my doctor has written a recommendation
that I need a very large (at least 20"), very high resolution (at least 1024
x 768), color monitor.  Problem!  I don't really know much about the monitor
and card world for DOS.  Here is what I have found out so far.

I prefer non-interlaced at least 1024 x 768.  I've seen VGA (640x480) and I
can't if you get my meaning.  Super VGA (800x600) is barely readable, thus at
least 1024 x 768 is required.  I've tracked down one combination that looks
promising.

Taxan Ultravsion UV 1150 20"--  1600 x 1200

Artist Graphics XJ12 card with drivers for Windows/286, CADKEY 3,
GEM/Ventura, and a VGA module that supposedly takes VGA or lower signals and
makes them about 2.5 times bigger on the screen.

Does anyone know about other possible combo's or solutions?

Kevin

Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc
Inet: kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 21:11:06 EST
From: Don Mac Phee <GKZ101%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: PD C and/or C++ compiler wanted

    Looking for a C and/or C++ compiler. For PS2 Mod 50z.

 Don Mac Phee
 P.O. Box 161
 E. Greenwich
 Rhode Island USA
 Zip: 02818-0161

 Gkz101@Uriacc.Bitnet
 Gkz101@Uriacc.Uri.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 16:41:41 EST
From: STG7%IBRDVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Loading multiple applications from a C program

Hi,
   How can I load an application (.EXE) from a C program. I am trying to
write a main menu in C which will load independent applications depending on
the option chosen by the user and then return back to the menu. The
applications are either EXE or COM files.

Ann Johnson

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 10:01:43 EST
From: hsw@sparta.com (Howard Weiss)
Subject: VPIX and Microsoft WORD

Is anyone out there running Interactive Systems VPIX (DOS as a UNIX process)?
I am running VPIX on a 386/ix and having problems with Microsoft WORD.  One
problem is writing files to the UNIX file system (WORD has no problem
writting to the virtual DOS C: drive but will not write to the mounted UNIX
Z: drive).  The other problem is the speed or actually the lack of speed in
printing from WORD - it takes about five minutes to get a 4 page document
printed.  Thats the time it takes to DOS spool the file which is then handed
to the UNIX lpr which immediately prints the file.  Just using the DOS print
command is also just as slow. Any ideas why DOS spooling should be so
slooooow?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard Weiss

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------