Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/01/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu,  1 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  37

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                File Transfer - Statement of Frustrations||
                           Kaypro PC Modem Cable

Today's Queries:
                       Adding a floppy disk to an AT
                     EGA or VGA GRAPHICS screen dump?
                        Maxon MVGA programming info
               Need help choosing high-end 386/486 machine.
                          new virus, bug or what?
                     Seeking EasyNet ShareLan Authors
                                Windows 3.0
                              XT Hard Drives

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 12:54:42 EST
From: "John S. Fisher" <FISHER%RPIECS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: File Transfer - Statement of Frustrations||

>This message is not indended to point any fingers. Instead, I would like this
>to be used to raise issues that I have with the current state of receiving
>SIMTEL MSDOS files via servers like RPIECS.
>
>Specifically, I would like to download the SIMIBM.ARC file on a Monthly?
>basis.
>
>The file would then be downloaded to my Token Ring LAN and put into a DBASE
>compatible database file for browsing by my Micro Support Staff.
>
>I have two major problems with the current support for SIMTEL file
>transfers.  First, when I try to /PDGET a file the size of SIMIBM.ARC, it is
>sent to me in "chunks" of mail messages as opposed to a single file.  I have
>tried re-assembling the pieces into one chunk, stripping off the necessary
>headers, download the new re-assembled file to the PC, and UUDECODING the
>file.

>This is a VERY time consuming task.  I also have never been able to
>sucessfully UUDECODE the file to it's original state.  As you can imagine,
>this can be quite frustrating.

Since you are a VM/CMS site, much of the reassembly task can be simplified or
stream-lined if you use the BITSEND option on the /PDGET command.  For your
case,

       /PDGET BITSEND PD:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC

The SIMIBM.ARC file will still be sent in pieces, but armed with the
BITSEND/BITRCV tools (available from your nearest NETSERV node) the
reassembly process is one step without the need to uudecode the result.

>Secondly,  I am only allowed 2 downloads / day.  Also, the sum total of the
>size of the two files CAN'T be > 150K.

(...the first and therefore only request of the day may exceed 150K...)

>I do realize the reason for these restrictions, but can't help to think that
>something can be done.
>
>I've even tried to go directly to SIMTEL via BITFTP but received many reasons
>why I shouldn't try.  We don't have direct INTERNET access here, so BITFTP is
>my only way of getting to INTERNET hosts.
>
>I can't imagine that I'm the only one who is frustrated with this.  Am I doing
>things wrong??  There's GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY|||

If you have ideas about what can be done, I'd be more than happy to entertain
them.  With 9600 bps as the standard for inter-node links, I'd conservatively
estimate the bandwidth from one node to the next at around 40Mb per day.
(That allows for protocol overhead, line turnaround delays, line noise, and
the occasional node outage.)  At last check, the file SIMIBM.ARC is 229,359
bytes, a "meer" 1/2% of that total bandwidth.  But, when the 1/2% gets
multiplied by the number of requests coming to the server daily, you've got a
single network service that is creating the lion's share of the Bitnet
traffic and often causing undue congestion at several network pressure
points.  All is not forever lost, however.  The Bitnet II architecture
promises relief; unfortunately, the time-frame for this relief is not clear.

/JSFisher

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 07:20:46 -0900
From: "Uncle Gomer"  <ASTLC%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Kaypro PC Modem Cable

 Thanx to everyone who sent me schematics, etc. to build a modem cable for my
Kaypro XT. Seems the previous cable I had worked, but the RTS/CTS pins had
not been connected!

 Again...thanks to everyone who helped me solve this problem!

=== Geddy Lee ===
/s

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: 28 Feb 90 23:28:00 EST
From: "VAN_OOSTROM" <hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: Adding a floppy disk to an AT

I'm having trouble adding a 360K floppy drive to an AT compatible computer.

I'm trying to add an Amstrad PT NO 40046 360K floppy drive to an AT
compatible machine with a floppy controler that supports this drive.  The
drive originates from an Amstrad PC1512 XT compatible.  I tried to put a
DRIVPARM=/D:1 /T:40 /H:2 /S:9 statement in my config.sys file.  The error
message I get is 'drive not ready'.

Questions:
	- Is it possible to put a XT type 360K floppy on an AT?
	- Is there anybody that can tell me anything about the jumper
	  settings of this drive?
	- Is there anybody out there with an Amstrad PC1512 or PC1640?
	  (in that case mail to me personally)

My guess is that the problem has something to do with the change-line
hardware, of which I'm not sure the drive supports.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)
{uunet, hp4nl, rutgers, harvard}!pine.circa.ufl.edu!hans       (UUCP)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 09:44 MDT
From: Pete Klammer <PKLAMMER%cudnvr@ccnucd.Denver.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: EGA or VGA GRAPHICS screen dump?

Can anyone tell me what EGA or VGA equivalents to GRAPHICS.COM exist?  I
would like to do a graphics screen dump to an Epson printer, and GRAPHICS.COM
(the one I have, anyway) only does CGA dumping.  Thanks.

/** --poko	" I'm half Estonian, which makes up for the other half. "
Pete Klammer /(303)556-3915 FAX:(303)556-4822	PKLAMMER@PIKES.COLORADO.EDU
CU-Denver Computing Services / Campus Box 169	BITNET: PKLAMMER@CUDENVER
1200 Larimer St NC2506 / Denver CO 80204-5300	UU:!boulder!pikes!pklammer **/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 13:42:26 EST
From: jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org
Subject: Maxon MVGA programming info

I just bought a Maxon MVGA-16 card, and am happy about the way it works.  Now
I would like to learn how to use its extended modes (hex numbers 50 and up,
as I remember), particularly the one with 640*480*256 colors.  I called Maxon
for programming information, as suggested by the owner's manual, but was told
that the project to create the programmer's manual had been cancelled and
that no manual would ever be available! Apparently the drivers that came with
it (for Autocad and several other programs I can't afford) are the only ones
I can expect to use.  This hardly seems a good way to exploit a competitive
advantage (i.e.  the extended modes).

On the other hand, the Maxon card uses the Trident VGA chipset, and I was
told the hardware- and BIOS-level interfaces should be "similar" to other
cards using that chipset.  (He refused to tell me what those other cards
were, or to give me a contact at Trident.)  Do any readers of this list have
programming info on this card, or any other card with the Trident chipset?
Does anyone have a .BGI file for Turbo C that will use the extended modes?

                                     - Jim Van Zandt

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 90 00:42:35 GMT
From: catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone)
Subject: Need help choosing high-end 386/486 machine.

Hi.  One of our departments wants to purchase a high end PC compatible to
test out various new software and operating systems of interest, like OS/2
with Presentation Manager, X-Windows, Windows/386, Xenix, high end relational
databases like Oracle/Informix/Ingres/etc., and so on.  We proposed a 33 MHz
386 box with all the usual accessories: VGA, 360 meg ESDI hard disk, 4 Megs
of RAM, cache memory, 387 coprocessor, and so on.  The question arose, why
not go straight for a 486 system?  Last I heard, the 486 was too buggy right
now to be trusted, but that was a while back.  Also, the new EISA (Extended
Industry Standard Architecture) machines should offer much improved
throughput, but the last I read they would not be commonly available until
summer.

What do you think?  386 or 486?  Buy now or wait for an EISA box?  What
specific systems do you recommend, either 386 or 486, and why one over the
other?  What systems have you had experience with?  It would also be helpful
if you could indicate what sort of processing you did on the system, to give
me some basis of comparison: as we all know, a system that's fast for word
processing isn't necessarily fast for database work.  Please reply either by
mail or posting; I will collect all replies and post a summary to the group
afterwards.  Thanks for the help!

- Tony
  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
  catone@wharton.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 08:49 N
From: <ROSING%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: new virus, bug or what?

      I have a Olivetti M260 in my office.  about a month ago while running
Word Perfect 5.0 my screen suddenly "jumped" and at first I thought that all
my set-up settings (screen shades of grey etc) were changed.  As it turned
out (as far as I know!) only my choice of measurement units (centimetres) had
been changed to row and column and the auto-save feature had been turned on
-- and timed for 10 minutes.  I fixed these things up and have worked happily
ever since.

  Today I gave a disk to my secretary containing a letter to be fixed up into
format etc. before being sent.  While she was working on it the same thing
happened to her.  She has a Olivetti M-24, she runs WP5.0 Dutch language
version and mine is English English language version.  She has a 20Mb hard
disk and a Mono-Borsu while I have a Conel 20Mb hardcard.  Our University
hardware/software PC support staff have never heard of such a thing
happening.

    My question is there a known virus or a known bug in WP5.0 that would
result in the symptoms I have described.  What has happened is troublesome
but not (yet) trouble.  It is what will happen next that has us worried.
Perhaps I should add that I have another Olivetti M-24 with Conel 20 Mb
hardcard at home with WP 5.0 English English it and the problem has not
occurred there (yet) even though programmes and text are transferred between
my two machines daily.

    I bother this list only because I suspect an un-reported virus which
would have to be able to transmit itself in data (text) as that is the only
thing ever transported between my secretary's machine and mine.

                                    Regards,

                                    K.E. Rosing
Bitnet: ROSING@HROEUR5
Mail  : Economisch Geografisch Instituut
        Erasmus Universiteit
        P.O. Box 1738
        NL-3000 DR Rotterdam
        Netherlands
Tel   :  10 4081456
Fax   :  10 4527009

[Although I'm not a virus expert, I DON'T think this is possible... gph]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Feb 90 17:28:30 GMT
From: TRL3@psuvm.psu.edu (Tim Larson)
Subject: Seeking EasyNet ShareLan Authors

I recently downloaded EasyNet ShareLan from simtel20.arpa.  This seems to be
a very nice RS-232 based network, but when I tried to contact the authors
listed in the docs, they were no longer at the number listed.  If anyone
knows how to contact the owners of the copyright, could you email me their
address or (preferably) their phone number?  The authors listed in the docs
were:

     EasyNet Systems Inc.
     4283 Village Centre Court
     Mississauga, Ontario  L4Z 1S2
     (416) 273-6410

There were references also to upgrades to a NOS that supports up to 35 PCs
and also to low-cost NICs.  Any references or comments on the software would
be appreciated.

-Tim Larson
trl3@psuvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 90 00:11:56 CST
From: ST6074%SIUCVMB.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu (Tim Williams)
Subject: Windows 3.0

Can anyone tell me when Windows 3.0 will be released?  I've been hearing
about it for about 3 or 4 months now, but haven't heard of anything official
from Microsoft.  Have they released any dates, or any verified specs on it?
Also, will registered 2.11 owners get a free upgrade, or what will their
policy be?

Thanks,

Tim Williams
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 22:46:45 -0500 (EST)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: XT Hard Drives

Hi there,

   I seem to be running into problems with a hard drive in one of our XTs. It
started acting up, i.e., could not be accessed and then chkdsk and
subsequently PCShell reported corrupted FAT. So, my first question is:

    1. Is it really and *finally* dead and is there anything that we could do
to fix it or recover any data from it.

Secondly, couple of questions came up after we tried some household remedies,
such as low level format (fdisk), XT diagnostics (IBM) and IAU19 utilities:

    2. Are ATs and XTs really different in the way they "perceive" the
presence of a hard drive ? For example, upon running diagnostics the computer
"knew" that it did have the hard drive, though it came back with error 1704
(whatever that may mean - the IBM manula was not very explicit). However,
after removing DOS partition with fdisk, DOS command "dir c:" or "format c:"
would give "invalid drive specification". Nevertheless, the XT diagnostics
and IAU19 could still access and do work on the drive.

    3. Having experienced similar problems in one of our ATs, where the drive
did turn out to be dead and unsalvagable, is essential- ly what is happening
here ?

And, finally,

    4. What should we consider, especially in view of (2) if we were going to
get a new drive ? Is installation of a new drive in in XT as (relatively)
simple as it is in an AT, i.e., just a matter of (essentially) running the
diagnostics and informing the computer of the drive type ?

Thanks for any hints, suggestions and comments to all netlanders "out
there",

                                     Sincerely,
                                   John Duchowski

End of Info-IBMPC Digest